Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ohio #2 Cincy St. X @ Indiana #3 Indianapolis Cathedral

29 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

The Irish were dealt some adversity last night and responded. Losing the turnover battle to an excellent team rarely goes the right way. Yet, these Irish dug deep. The Irish defense won the game for us last night. A timely interception and some clutch stops deep in Irish territory were the difference makers. 

There were certainly a bevy of mistakes to end the half to let the Bombers back in to the game at 15-15. However, Irish D clamped down to hold St. X to one second half score. The Irish kicker is a real weapon. Ben Gomez has some great range knocking down I believe a 34 yard field goal that was good from 50 and on the left hashmark. 

Nathan McCahill had his first pedestrian outing breaking his 300yd passing streak, but his feet did the talking on a couple crucial 3rd downs. Cam Jordan is 2 touchdowns away from breaking Cathedral’s career receiving TD record. 

Onward in the gauntlet to nationally-ranked Cincinnati LaSalle at Arlington next Friday. 

Agree 100% - defense was clearly the difference maker!

On to week 6!

Good win for Cathedral and a win for Indiana (first Brownsburg, now Cathedral).  To me, it didn't matter much what the final score was.  A win is a win.  Week 9 is going to be the game of the year.  How appropriate it is the last week of the regular season.  I still say it should be on ESPN.  That would be like icing on the cake as the saying goes.

22 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Arlington is now the 'unofficial' home field for Cathedral football, and at one point will be our home field for good (if it hasn't changed already).  I loved the games at Tech...where most of our home games were played and miss not playing there anymore.  

That's where I played my last HS game against Chatard, semistate 2003 (Dray Mason, Baker, Halliburton, Dury and company) -- holding them to three TDs was an accomplishment ... First experience was there as a sophomore in 2001. Not sure if the facility has changed, but I assume the community hasn't much. Does the IHSAA allow tournament games there, as it's previously moved semistates away from Broad Ripple.

Congrats on the win and season so far. I know they are taking it one week at a time, but let's see two undefeated teams going into Week 9 vs. Center Grove!

4 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

That's where I played my last HS game against Chatard, semistate 2003 (Dray Mason, Baker, Halliburton, Dury and company) -- holding them to three TDs was an accomplishment ... First experience was there as a sophomore in 2001. Not sure if the facility has changed, but I assume the community hasn't much. Does the IHSAA allow tournament games there, as it's previously moved semistates away from Broad Ripple.

Congrats on the win and season so far. I know they are taking it one week at a time, but let's see two undefeated teams going into Week 9 vs. Center Grove!

Fields obviously in a lot better shape than it used to be now that Cathedral has taken care of it (and Arlington no longer playing and practicing on it everyday) but do question if it’s the right move going forward if they decide to keep it natural grass, especially come the colder and wetter months.

Counted two X players who left with injuries last night that I would attribute to the playing surface and Cathedral’s best WR avoided disaster getting tackled on the concrete part of the track that’s 5 yards from the sideline. Parking isn’t terrible and there’s adequate seating, but it’s nowhere near the venue of Tech High School.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Fields obviously in a lot better shape than it used to be now that Cathedral has taken care of it (and Arlington no longer playing and practicing on it everyday) but do question if it’s the right move going forward if they decide to keep it natural grass, especially come the colder and wetter months.

Counted two X players who left with injuries last night that I would attribute to the playing surface and Cathedral’s best WR avoided disaster getting tackled on the concrete part of the track that’s 5 yards from the sideline. Parking isn’t terrible and there’s adequate seating, but it’s nowhere near the venue of Tech High School.

Why/when did the usage of Tech stop? 

3 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Why/when did the usage of Tech stop? 

I am pretty sure when Arlington's field became available (i.e. Arlington no longer playing on it) - Cathedral quickly jumped on the opportunity due to close location to Cathedral H.S.   A Cathedral alumn that has a landscaping business generously donated and/or upgraded the playing field.

I personally think Arlington is a unique home-field advantage for the Irish given the grass playing field which many teams don't use or practice on anymore.  Also it is not the greatest part of town, so I would imagine teams and parents of visiting teams probably don't look forward to traveling to play in that venue.  Hence, it is 'old-school' at its best!  However the safety issue which Footballking16 cited above is a concern though.  

• Like 1

Grass is the new homefield advantage. Oh, and wait for the first rain game in that west end zone. Swamp-tastic. Will be heaven for our big uglies the next two seasons.

i still think Louisville Trinity is scratching their heads from their Arlington beatdown last year. Those kids hadn’t seen grass before.