Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Which Job is Bigger ? HC at Notre Dame or Chicago Bears?

Guest DT

Several big names came across my consiousness this afternoon while I was walking thru Walmart.

Brian Kelly.  Urban Meyer   Matt Nagy.  Mike Ditka

Growing up in Northwest Indiana, I had two huge futball entities just up the road to the west (Bears) and to the east (Irish)

Hypothetical situation.

Lets say you are an uber accomplished head football coach   You played Big ten football in college.  Worked your way up to an NFL assistant.  became a college HC.  Won a National Championship.  

And now, you are at the precipice, and have bob offers from Notre Dame and the Chicago Bears to become HFC.

Which is the bigger gig?

Which is the better gig?

And why?

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Several big names came across my consiousness this afternoon while I was walking thru Walmart.

Brian Kelly.  Urban Meyer   Matt Nagy.  Mike Ditka

Growing up in Northwest Indiana, I had two huge futball entities just up the road to the west (Bears) and to the east (Irish)

Hypothetical situation.

Lets say you are an uber accomplished head football coach   You played Big ten football in college.  Worked your way up to an NFL assistant.  became a college HC.  Won a National Championship.  

And now, you are at the precipice, and have bob offers from Notre Dame and the Chicago Bears to become HFC.

Which is the bigger gig?

Which is the better gig?

And why?

ND is the better gig by far. No comparison between the job security at ND and that in the NFL.

46 minutes ago, Bobref said:

ND is the better gig by far. No comparison between the job security at ND and that in the NFL.

Financial security has long ago been achieved by any person who is in position for this job.  Not a factor.

Legendary Bears coaches I can think of: George Halas, Mike Ditka (no way in hell I’m including luminaries such as Marc Trestman and Dave Wannstedt)

The Domers?  Knute Rockne, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine, Lou Holtz.  Sure, you’ll also find Charlie Weis, but ND’s the better gig by far.

Nfl unmasks who can coach and who can’t. If you want to prove yourself nfl trumps any college job. Larger schools in college have financial advantages that make it an unfair playing field. 

Bigger gig nfl, I live in the western portion of the USA and college isn’t big out here. I see college as Deep South, Texas, and Midwest sport. Nfl is just so big because of the gambling aspect and parity.

better gig depends on the roster, if you have an Aaron Rodgers or  russel Wilson id take position over any college gig. 

Personally, I think the Bears job is ther bigger gig.  

A Chicago Bears Super Bowl Title trumps a Notre Dame National Championship, in my view.

You rarely see SB winning coaches go back to college to coach.  But you always see National Championship coaches mentioned for NFL jobs.

The Bears play at the highest level in the world.  ND does not.

The Bears have the greatest athletes in the world.  ND does not.

The Bears might be one of only a few NFL franchises who have fans that support their team with the same level of passion that ND does.

Geoerge Halas/ Mike Ditka eclipse Rockne/Leahy/Parseghian/Holtz

Its got to be the Bears!

39 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Please. There are 32 head coaches in the NFL. There’s only one Notre Dame head coach.

And theres only one Ohio State, USC, Michigan and Alabama.

43 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Please. There are 32 head coaches in the NFL. There’s only one Notre Dame head coach.

Bob Davie/Charlie Weis/Ty Willingham/the high school coach

Not exactly Mt Rushmore

10 minutes ago, DT said:

And theres only one Ohio State, USC, Michigan and Alabama.

Or for that matter, only one Slippery Rock. But I think my meaning was clear.

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Bob Davie/Charlie Weis/Ty Willingham/the high school coach

Not exactly Mt Rushmore

Keep going. You left off a few.

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

lol,  now you say that.

The Forbes article on the Bears essentially calculated the fair market value of the franchise. “Valuing” a college football program is a lot different, since there is no “willing seller and willing buyer” for a college football program. The concepts are inapposite.

Lets use Pat Fitzgerald as a potential candidate for both jobs.

He is a former Big Ten All American

Rose Bowl participant

Coached his alma mater to a Big Ten Championship

Is a Chicago area home town hero.

What is the argument for Fitz to ND?

What is the argument for Fitz to Chicago Bears?

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The Forbes article on the Bears essentially calculated the fair market value of the franchise. “Valuing” a college football program is a lot different, since there is no “willing seller and willing buyer” for a college football program. The concepts are inapposite.

So Notre Dame couldn't be sold to say, Jeff Bezos, for say a couple billion dollars?

57 minutes ago, DT said:

Lets use Pat Fitzgerald as a potential candidate for both jobs.

He is a former Big Ten All American

Rose Bowl participant

Coached his alma mater to a Big Ten Championship

Is a Chicago area home town hero.

What is the argument for Fitz to ND?

What is the argument for Fitz to Chicago Bears?

Winning a Super Bowl is a much more concrete accomplishment than a mythical D1 College Football Championship.