Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Through 5 Weeks of 2020 Season...

Barring a last minute cancellation between now and Friday night, it appears that as we hit the half-way point of the 2020 season (that some thought would never happen and if it ever got started, would quickly be shut down) that here are how we are doing...

228 of 320 eligible for the tournament schools will have played games in all 5 weeks of the season.  That's 71% of the state.   That's also counting all schools who cancelled their seasons before we even started.  So its actually closer to 75% of schools who actually TRIED to play football in 2020.  

Considering how ridiculous some school systems are with quarantining anyone with a pulse and how that's forced some schools to cancel games, when literally nobody on the team had tested positive for anything, the fact that we have 70-75% of schools who have played the maximum allotment of games is a real positive.

Add in the fact that going on 5 weeks of football being played against different schools, traveling on buses to and from games, practicing in close quarters every day for 2 months and all the other "concerns" some had for why football could not and would not dared be played in 2020, and the numbers of actual positive cases of football players BECAUSE of playing football has to be incredibly small. Microscopically small. Most of the positive cases (which aren't many from a total % standpoint) that have come to light have been through some means outside of the football field.  Or much more accurately, from perfectly healthy kids being told to stay away for 7-14 days because they may have had some kind of "close" contact with someone who may or may not actually have some sort of virus.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fingers crossed that the trend continues to go up up and up more to schools playing each week and getting their games in, but reality is that any school/team is 1 positive case from taking a backseat for a bit.  So it goes.  

Speaking solely from the perspective of the team/school I work with, I cannot be more proud the way out boys have adapted to everything both in and out of school and practice.   They certainly can be commended for their approach. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Fingers crossed that the trend continues to go up up and up more to schools playing each week and getting their games in, but reality is that any school/team is 1 positive case from taking a backseat for a bit.  So it goes.  

Speaking solely from the perspective of the team/school I work with, I cannot be more proud the way out boys have adapted to everything both in and out of school and practice.   They certainly can be commended for their approach. 

The kids from across the State, seem to have adapted better than some of the parents.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nmsu_aggie said:

The kids from across the State, seem to have adapted better than some of the parents.

I am sure,   Look at what happened tonight,  big game tomorrow up here in DA REGION with the other Red Devils of the 219 and they had a positive test and game vs Hobart is toast. 

just keep chugging along and mitigate the risks ....  best you can 

• Like 1

It is true that over aggressive contact tracing has had a bigger impact than positive cases.  Honest question, does anyone here actually know a kid who was contact traced out of school that actually became a positive case?  Given that because of the fact you can't get a test to get out of the 14 day jail sentence, that the state HD is actually incentivizing kids to NOT get tested.  No logical reason why that after 5-6 days of last exposure/contact that kids can't provide a negative test to get back into school/extracurriculars.  Almost as nuts is the fact the IHSAA hasn't modifed its 4 and 6 day return to practice rules at least for the "year of covid".  Fully aware that some health departments in the state have allowed "quarantined" practices in an effort to give kids a chance at getting back to play asap.  It's a sad day when you need help from the health department to circumvent inaction by the IHSAA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One potential fact is there have been a lot more positive cases but the person remained asymptomatic and were never tested. If that were true the good news is those individuals don't seem to be creating a major outburst to those who are more susceptible and more likely to become critically ill from the virus.

The important thing is we have to keep doing what we are doing to make sure this continues. I didn't expect the season to start, and I definitely didn't expect the tournament to start. Now I'm cautiously optimistic. I am curious to see if some districts are as strict with contact tracing and quarantining when playoff games are at stake. It's actually a benefit of the Indiana all-in tournament process. You don't lose anything related to the post season if you miss a couple games during the season.

Thank you and good luck to those who have helped make this happen.