Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Toughest schedules in 2A

Okay so I was bored.  Over the years there have been a lot of arguments (some of them heated) over who plays no one and who plays a meat grinder for a schedule.  I thought I'd check to see who played the toughest schedules in 2A.  I used the Sagarin ratings for this list.  I have the school and their state rank for their schedule.  I only used the top 15 since most years that is where the eventual champion comes from.   Here ya go:

1)   Ft. Wayne Luers  23

2)  Evansville Mater Dei  61

3)  Speedway  89

4)  Cascade  98

5)  Monrovia  101

6)  Rensselaer Central  106

7)  Shennandoah  109

8    Woodlan  114

9)  Providance  115

10)  Eastern Pekin  118

11)  WInchester  119

12)  Lewis Cass  124

13)  Linton Stockton  130

14)  Scecina  144

15)  Triton Central  146

Keep in mind these are the ratings for this week.  They will change from week to week depending on the opponent.  Again, I was bored.  And I apologize if I left someone out.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Was surprised to see woodlan on this list given they play in ACAC.  What are they doing scheduling SB Adams and Leo non-Conf?  Need to dial the level of difficulty WAY back until they get their feet back under them.

It had been Marion Local (many Ohio state championships) and Lima Central Catholic. This is a step down.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Okay so I was bored.  Over the years there have been a lot of arguments (some of them heated) over who plays no one and who plays a meat grinder for a schedule.  I thought I'd check to see who played the toughest schedules in 2A.  I used the Sagarin ratings for this list.  I have the school and their state rank for their schedule.  I only used the top 15 since most years that is where the eventual champion comes from.   Here ya go:

1)   Ft. Wayne Luers  23

2)  Evansville Mater Dei  61

3)  Speedway  89

4)  Cascade  98

5)  Monrovia  101

7)  Shennandoah  109

8    Woodlan  114

9)  Providance  115

10)  Eastern Pekin  118

11)  WInchester  119

12)  Lewis Cass  124

13)  Linton Stockton  130

14)  Scecina  144

15)  Triton Central  146

Keep in mind these are the ratings for this week.  They will change from week to week depending on the opponent.  Again, I was bored.  And I apologize if I left someone out.

5 of the top 15 are in the ICC

Andrean is #171. They've played 2 6A's (including sagarin #8 Merrillville) and 3 4A's so far.  In the final 4 weeks they have three more 4A schools (Sagarin #21, 63, 71) and 5A school. They easily have a top 5, if not higher, 2A schedule.

6A (2) 5A (1) 4A (5)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

12)  Lewis Cass  124

These are two of the three 2A schools in the Hoosier Conference, but they are in different divisions ... RCHS in the West and Cass in the East.  I'm assuming the difference between Tipton not being on the list and Cass being on it, from the East, is that Cass plays Pioneer and South Adams while Tipton's two non-conference opponents are Elwood and Heritage Christian.  Of interest is that Cass's opponents that are making it a tougher schedule are a pair of tough 1A classified school even though Pioneer is serving time in 2A under SF.  RCHS gets LCC and West Lafayette this year, and every year, from within the conference.

1 hour ago, hick said:

Andrean is #171. They've played 2 6A's (including sagarin #8 Merrillville) and 3 4A's so far.  In the final 4 weeks they have three more 4A schools (Sagarin #21, 63, 71) and 5A school. They easily have a top 5, if not higher, 2A schedule.

6A (2) 5A (1) 4A (5)

Go back and look at my original post.  I did say I used this week's ratings and the ratings will change from week to week depending on the opponent.   No need to argue that a team SHOULD BE higher.  If you think it's wrong, take up the argument with Sagarin.  It's his numbers that I used.  Andrean at 171 didn't make the list this time.  They probably will in the future.  Linton sits at #130 this week but have all lower ranked teams left on their schedule.  They will more than likely drop off this list after another game or two.  Like I said, it changes weekly.  And I DID say, "I was bored".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Go back and look at my original post.  I did say I used this week's ratings and the ratings will change from week to week depending on the opponent.   No need to argue that a team SHOULD BE higher.  If you think it's wrong, take up the argument with Sagarin.  It's his numbers that I used.  Andrean at 171 didn't make the list this time.  They probably will in the future.  Linton sits at #130 this week but have all lower ranked teams left on their schedule.  They will more than likely drop off this list after another game or two.  Like I said, it changes weekly.  And I DID say, "I was bored".

I read your post.  Now go back and read mine.  Nothing I said was negative about your post, nor sagarin.  In fact I didn't even mention your post. I also didn't say their current SOS was wrong. Honestly, I have no clue wtf you're so butt hurt about...you're a little sensitive for me hoss. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

These are two of the three 2A schools in the Hoosier Conference, but they are in different divisions ... RCHS in the West and Cass in the East.  I'm assuming the difference between Tipton not being on the list and Cass being on it, from the East, is that Cass plays Pioneer and South Adams while Tipton's two non-conference opponents are Elwood and Heritage Christian.  Of interest is that Cass's opponents that are making it a tougher schedule are a pair of tough 1A classified school even though Pioneer is serving time in 2A under SF.  RCHS gets LCC and West Lafayette this year, and every year, from within the conference.

Cass also plays western, Hamilton heights and WL. 

Thats a brutal schedule

With SA, Pioneer, Tipton, WL, and Western. 

9 hours ago, hick said:

I read your post.  Now go back and read mine.  Nothing I said was negative about your post, nor sagarin.  In fact I didn't even mention your post. I also didn't say their current SOS was wrong. Honestly, I have no clue wtf you're so butt hurt about...you're a little sensitive for me hoss. 

I've read yours and why I was replying to it.  I don't see why you are so upset (In your opinion) over Andrean's SOS being wrong.  Like I said, take it up with Sagarin if you think it's wrong.  I only used Sagarin's numbers.   Not "butt hurt" or "sensitive" al all here.  Don't try to make something out of nothing.  Moving on.

• Kill me now 2

10 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Cass also plays western, Hamilton heights and WL. 

Thats a brutal schedule

With SA, Pioneer, Tipton, WL, and Western. 

I was looking mainly at the difference, as Tipton also plays Western and Heights as they all belong to Hoosier Conference East.  The other difference could be WL, which is a crossover HC game this year for Cass.  But Cass will likely get either RCHS or LCC ... or both ... next season, so it tends to be a similar tradeoff from season to season.

20 hours ago, hick said:

6A (2) 5A (1) 4A (5)

No question. They play no one lower than a 4A, and those are no cream puffs: New Prairie, Hobart, Lowell.

1 hour ago, 36_Belly said:

Eastbrook has proven the last few seasons that schedule strength means squat.

They proved that they have been able to compete with almost anyone in 2A in spite of their terrible conference schedule (which is worse this year than it was when Mississinewa was legit the past few years).  I wouldn't say they proved it means nothing across the board for everyone.  

2 hours ago, XStar said:

They proved that they have been able to compete with almost anyone in 2A in spite of their terrible conference schedule (which is worse this year than it was when Mississinewa was legit the past few years).  I wouldn't say they proved it means nothing across the board for everyone.  

Agreed. I should've worded that a little different.

It should be noted that Mater Dei's SoS is now affected because they play in a "closed" conference schedule. How so? I don't know.

Still all of their opponents are now: three 3A, four 4A, and one 5A school. All but two of their opponents are sectional contenders -- some might need a good draw, but those remaining six will likely produce a 4A and 5A sectional champion, along with Mater Dei in 2A. In most recent years, Evansville Memorial would be a sectional favorite in 3A, but now plays in 4A (success factor) and is in a bit of a rebuilding year, but won't be an easy out in the 4A tournament, nor will Vincennes Lincoln in 3A.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:41 AM, captainobvious said:

SOS???  Who cares!  The road to the 2 A championship goes directly through Marion, IN (EASTBROOK)!  Hope to see all of you there!!

On 9/20/2020 at 8:26 PM, 36_Belly said:

Eastbrook has proven the last few seasons that schedule strength means squat.

while I agree mostly I can't help but wonder if the ring color would be different had regular season been tougher if that makes sense,,,,

27 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

while I agree mostly I can't help but wonder if the ring color would be different had regular season been tougher if that makes sense,,,,

I don't think so. There are plenty of arguments for not playing the most difficult SoS, such as if you have relatively small roster, you want your best players to rest/not risk injury as much. I've seen it first-hand and have concluded at 3A and below SoS means little if anything, when you have players well-coached and capable athletically of getting you through the tournament. Philosophies may differ, but Monday-Tuesday practice was almost always more physically demanding than any game I played in -- same for mental toughness (mistakes) from two-a-days until Weeks 14 and 15.

ETA: To clarify 3A and below, that is assuming programs have larger rosters in 4A and above. I know there are always exceptions, but generally that holds true and roster size hasn't prevented success in the lower classes. Your best athlete getting injured because they have to play four quarters, two-ways (or more) can prevent success.