Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Toughest schedules in 2A

29 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I don't think so. There are plenty of arguments for not playing the most difficult SoS, such as if you have relatively small roster, you want your best players to rest/not risk injury as much. I've seen it first-hand and have concluded at 3A and below SoS means little if anything, when you have players well-coached and capable athletically of getting you through the tournament. Philosophies may differ, but Monday-Tuesday practice was almost always more physically demanding than any game I played in -- same for mental toughness (mistakes) from two-a-days until Weeks 14 and 15.

ETA: To clarify 3A and below, that is assuming programs have larger rosters in 4A and above. I know there are always exceptions, but generally that holds true and roster size hasn't prevented success in the lower classes. Your best athlete getting injured because they have to play four quarters, two-ways (or more) can prevent success.

You act as if teams have a total choice as to the strength of their schedule.  It’s pretty much dictated by the conference that you play in.  I just think that there is too much emphasis on the SOS when determining rankings.  Every year there seems to be a number of teams ranked ahead of Eastbrook in the north and then Eastbrook beats said teams in the tournament.  I’m sure it will be the same case this season.

4 hours ago, captainobvious said:

You act as if teams have a total choice as to the strength of their schedule.  It’s pretty much dictated by the conference that you play in.  I just think that there is too much emphasis on the SOS when determining rankings.  Every year there seems to be a number of teams ranked ahead of Eastbrook in the north and then Eastbrook beats said teams in the tournament.  I’m sure it will be the same case this season.

Mostly yes (see Mater Dei now in a closed SIAC schedule), but there is some leeway depending on number of conference games. In 3A, Heritage Hills and Gibson Southern have had similar success in the same conference and sectional/regional. Currently, GS has a SoS of 43 (playing Columbus North and Whiteland); HH has one of 134 (playing two 2A schools which I think have beaten them a combined three times over the past 20 years). The philosophic difference in SoS and playing players two-ways (HH tends to play more players two ways, GS might only play 1-2) has been similar in recent years for both teams. Previously they had two non-conference games and now three with the PAC splitting into two divisions. 

My argument is SoS is largely overrated in 1A-3A, regardless of choices in scheduling. There are pros and cons both ways, but I don't see one way definitively being better despite the success of teams like Luers, Andrean, and Mater Dei in 2A.

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I don't think so. There are plenty of arguments for not playing the most difficult SoS, such as if you have relatively small roster, you want your best players to rest/not risk injury as much. I've seen it first-hand and have concluded at 3A and below SoS means little if anything, when you have players well-coached and capable athletically of getting you through the tournament. Philosophies may differ, but Monday-Tuesday practice was almost always more physically demanding than any game I played in -- same for mental toughness (mistakes) from two-a-days until Weeks 14 and 15.

ETA: To clarify 3A and below, that is assuming programs have larger rosters in 4A and above. I know there are always exceptions, but generally that holds true and roster size hasn't prevented success in the lower classes. Your best athlete getting injured because they have to play four quarters, two-ways (or more) can prevent success.

Last time i watched Eastbrook play there was about 80 kids on the field warming up.

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

yes

Eastbrook has been on the 2a/3a line for last 10 years or so.    

Wow that's an accomplishment. HH used to dress all freshmen in 2-3 home games per year. The freshman still field a competitive team (7-9 games) with I think around 24 players this season, but it tends to drop to 12-16 by sophomore year. So at its best, 3A HH only ever dressed maybe 60-65 for a few home games. They always dress and put a QB, 1-2 athletes, and a kicker on the regular and playoff roster -- players who are expected to immediately contribute to varsity as sophomores and the QB so he learns the offense and some leadership.

17 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

while I agree mostly I can't help but wonder if the ring color would be different had regular season been tougher if that makes sense,,,,

It's pretty safe to say that, if you make it to LOS, strength of schedule goes out the window. Would their ring color be different?  Maybe. One questionable no call and one obvious missed call may have made the difference in previous championship games but all the credit goes to the teams that beat us. They were very athletic and well coached. We could've played a 6A schedule last year and it wouldn't have mattered. Western Boone was unstoppable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Concur,  Stars rolled, Spencer Wright and company was a very tough out.   

The model of consistency in the Eastbrook led by Coach Adamson is quite remarkable.   Great Respect to him and his staff and program. 

If I am not mistaken, very seasoned now JR class for Panthers?   

Seems that way. 5 of their top 7 dudes statistically on offense (rushing/passing/receiving) are juniors..and it looks like a good chunk of those guys are on the D side too with 3 juniors and 2 seniors being involved..

A cousin of mine, his uncle on his moms side coaches at Eastbrook... My cousin told him he was "pumped" about the 2022 class. 

Just now, TheStatGuy said:

Seems that way. 5 of their top 7 dudes statistically on offense (rushing/passing/receiving) are juniors..and it looks like a good chunk of those guys are on the D side too with 3 juniors and 2 seniors being involved..

A cousin of mine, his uncle on his moms side coaches at Eastbrook... My cousin told him he was "pumped" about the 2022 class. 

Told me* his uncle was pumped about the 2022 class*

On 9/23/2020 at 6:43 AM, captainobvious said:

Unless you don't play in a conference.  Then you can schedule whoever you want (as long as they agree to play you).  But even teams in a conference can schedule good competition for their non conference games.

20 hours ago, TheStatGuy said:

Told me* his uncle was pumped about the 2022 class*

Your family tree must have more roots than an acre of California redwoods. I swear to God it does!

• Haha 3

Here is this week's list with the state rank of SOS:

1)  Fort Wayne Luers - 33

2)  Mater Dei - 62

3)  Speedway - 88

4)  Monrovia - 98

5)  Cascade - 99

6)  Providence - 103

7)  Rensy Central - 106

8  Shenandoah - 113

9)  Eastern Pekin - 115

10)  Woodlan - 116

11)  Winchester - 124

12)  Lewis Cass - 125

13)  Linton - 129

14)  Triton Central - 138

15)  Scecina - 144

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Here is this week's list with the state rank of SOS:

1)  Fort Wayne Luers - 33

2)  Mater Dei - 62

3)  Speedway - 88

4)  Monrovia - 98

5)  Cascade - 99

6)  Providence - 103

7)  Rensy Central - 106

8  Shenandoah - 113

9)  Eastern Pekin - 115

10)  Woodlan - 116

11)  Winchester - 124

12)  Lewis Cass - 125

13)  Linton - 129

14)  Triton Central - 138

15)  Scecina - 144

You have to know that a list like this, without Eastbrook, is a complete falsehood!  Eastbrook would beat every team on this list.  It’s the same thing every year.  Blah, blah, blah.

Edited by captainobvious

6 minutes ago, captainobvious said:

You have to know that a list like this, without Eastbrook, is a complete falsehood!  Eastbrook would beat every team on this list.  It’s the same thing every year.  Blah, blah, blah.

I'll tell you like I tell other people, if you don't like it, take it up with Sagarin.  These numbers are from his computer rankings.  I am NOT making these up.  I just look on his rankings and then compile a list.  Last week someone complained that Andrean wasn't on the list.  I won't argue, just tell you these are Sagarin's numbers.  I don't agree with some of them either, but there it is........

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, captainobvious said:

Hey Captain, it's not a list ranking the teams. This is merely listing their strength of schedule. Eastbrook may very well beat every team on the list, but their strength of schedule doesn't match up. No need to get your feelings hurt. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1