Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Toughest schedules in 2A

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We scrimmaged Tell City last year (2019) at Manchester Team Camp,  came away impressed with them, had not idea what grade they were in, nice to see them having a good year 

I'd like to see the Bombers start a series with the Linton Miners.  I've noticed that the Bombers have a couple of non conference games on their schedule.  Why not drop Munster?  They aren't a very good program in 5A.  In fact they are ranked last in 5A.  They could always schedule the game on a Saturday and maybe play at a neutral site like they did last week with North Knox to avoid a long, long drive.  I believe the two programs are similar and think it would be an epic series.  And it would give the Bombers some southern exposure while giving the Miners some Northern exposure.  Your thoughts Coach?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We scrimmaged Tell City last year (2019) at Manchester Team Camp,  came away impressed with them, had not idea what grade they were in, nice to see them having a good year 

Yes, much of this senior class has played varsity since freshmen and sophomores. After multiple head coaches, Rookie Coach Mac Webb (from neighbor and rival South Spencer) is getting the most out of them and probably has the best TC team in three decades. Those who are older know the Marksmen were a small-school powerhouse in Basketball and Football in the 1970s and 1980s.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'd like to see the Bombers start a series with the Linton Miners.  I've noticed that the Bombers have a couple of non conference games on their schedule.  Why not drop Munster?  They aren't a very good program in 5A.  In fact they are ranked last in 5A.  They could always schedule the game on a Saturday and maybe play at a neutral site like they did last week with North Knox to avoid a long, long drive.  I believe the two programs are similar and think it would be an epic series.  And it would give the Bombers some southern exposure while giving the Miners some Northern exposure.  Your thoughts Coach?

Actually I believe the Bombers were supposed to play Twin Lakes that weekend. Munster was a close last minute convenient pick up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Spock said:

Actually I believe the Bombers were supposed to play Twin Lakes that weekend. Munster was a close last minute convenient pick up. 

Okay,.  I just knew that Munster wasn't a conference team.  Should have looked on other seasons and would have discovered that.  I'd still like to see the Bombers and the Miners start a series with each other.  Thanks.

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, itiswhatitis said:

Okay so I was bored.  Over the years there have been a lot of arguments (some of them heated) over who plays no one and who plays a meat grinder for a schedule.  I thought I'd check to see who played the toughest schedules in 2A.  I used the Sagarin ratings for this list.  I have the school and their state rank for their schedule.  I only used the top 15 since most years that is where the eventual champion comes from.   Here ya go:

1)   Ft. Wayne Luers  23

2)  Evansville Mater Dei  61

3)  Speedway  89

4)  Cascade  98

5)  Monrovia  101

6)  Rensselaer Central  106

7)  Shennandoah  109

8    Woodlan  114

9)  Providance  115

10)  Eastern Pekin  118

11)  WInchester  119

12)  Lewis Cass  124

13)  Linton Stockton  130

14)  Scecina  144

15)  Triton Central  146

Keep in mind these are the ratings for this week.  They will change from week to week depending on the opponent.  Again, I was bored.  And I apologize if I left someone out.

final top 15 after 9 Weeks:  

1). Speedway (66)

2) Monrovia (72)

3) Lewis Cass (81)

4) Andrean (85)

5) Woodlan (86)

6) Cascade (88)

7) Scecina (94)

8 )  Triton Central (97)

9)  Eastern (Pekin) (101)

10).  Heritage Christian (120) 

11). Clarksville (121)

12). Southmont (127)

13) Rensselaer Central (132) 

14) Western Boone (134)

15) Providence (138)

On 9/23/2020 at 9:24 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Let's see what Andrean's will be after these next 4 games starting with a team that very well could rep the North in 4a Hobart

Sep. 25 at Hobart 4A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 2 at Munster 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 9 at Kankakee Valley 4A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 16   Lowell 4A © 7:00 pm

as suspected:   Andrean shot up SOS 2nd half of their schedule

Surprises:   Mater Dei and Luers SOS   221 and 199 respectivley.    

16 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I hope Sagarin shows big adjustments for SIAC and SAC teams after Round 1 as a few teams finally play out of conference.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tango said:

I hope Sagarin shows big adjustments for SIAC and SAC teams after Round 1 as a few teams finally play out of conference.  

It should.....and fast.  I think we all know that both Dwenger and Evansville Central are far from their current No. 20 Sagarin Rating in their respective classes....more like Top 5 in each (I could see Central steamrolling 4A).

The weird thing is that, at times, SAC statewide rankings shot high up the charts but the SIAC’s never did.

Either way, both conference’s teams rankings are going to be jumping all over the place as of early Saturday AM.  I think they will stabilize pretty quickly.

Have I mentioned, as a fan,  how much I hate closed conferences?

20 minutes ago, Lysander said:

It should.....and fast.  I think we all know that both Dwenger and Evansville Central are far from their current No. 20 Sagarin Rating in their respective classes....more like Top 5 in each (I could see Central steamrolling 4A).

The weird thing is that, at times, SAC statewide rankings shot high up the charts but the SIAC’s never did.

Either way, both conference’s teams rankings are going to be jumping all over the place as of early Saturday AM.  I think they will stabilize pretty quickly.

I hope they don't use the Sagarin ratings in college this year with the Big Ten only playing conference games Ohio St. would be ranked around 150. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

1). Speedway (66)

2) Monrovia (72)

3) Lewis Cass (81)

4) Andrean (85)

5) Woodlan (86)

6) Cascade (88)

7) Scecina (94)

8 )  Triton Central (97)

9)  Eastern (Pekin) (101)

10).  Heritage Christian (120) 

11). Clarksville (121)

12). Southmont (127)

13) Rensselaer Central (132) 

14) Western Boone (134)

15) Providence (138)

as suspected:   Andrean shot up SOS 2nd half of their schedule

Out of these 15 #1, 2, 6, 12, and 14 are in same sectional 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, tango said:

On 10/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, Lysander said:

It is statements like these that discredit the idea of using Sagarin Ratings as a method for seeding sectionals.  The Sagarin ratings are either accurate or they are not.  After nine games, there should not be holes in the rates or the method.  I am not making an argument for the ratings, but many on this site do.  So, how does a few out of conference games make "big adjustments"?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, Lysander said:

I don't see Central steamrolling 4A.  They could very well make a deep run, but they could also lose this weekend to Jasper.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

It is statements like these that discredit the idea of using Sagarin Ratings as a method for seeding sectionals.  The Sagarin ratings are either accurate or they are not.  After nine games, there should not be holes in the rates or the method.  I am not making an argument for the ratings, but many on this site do.  So, how does a few out of conference games make "big adjustments"?

It’s impossible to apply analytics to a closed conference until its not “closed” which doesn’t happen until playoffs.  

As to how long it takes?  I have no idea.  

I’m just a monkey with a keyboard trying to do the complete works Shakespeare.  It’s hit and miss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lysander said:

It’s impossible to apply analytics to a closed conference until its not “closed” which doesn’t happen until playoffs.  

As to how long it takes?  I have no idea.  

I’m just a monkey with a keyboard trying to do the complete works Shakespeare.  It’s hit and miss.

Yes, what he said....

48 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

No computer rankings can be accurate with closed conferences. If seeding is ever supported by the coaches, teams must play at least 2 or 3 non-conference games. This leads into other possibilities like splitting conferences and making week 9 or 10 with a 10-week season (not game) a conference championship week where MIC North #1 plays MIC South #1...etc.

But again, it's the coaches and ADs and principals who would have to push for it, not the IHSAA. 

40 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

No computer rankings can be accurate with closed conferences. If seeding is ever supported by the coaches, teams must play at least 2 or 3 non-conference games. This leads into other possibilities like splitting conferences and making week 9 or 10 with a 10-week season (not game) a conference championship week where MIC North #1 plays MIC South #1...etc.

But again, it's the coaches and ADs and principals who would have to push for it, not the IHSAA. 

So since the Big Ten is playing conference only games we shouldn't look for Ohio St. To be ranked in the top 25 by the computers.

45 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What I don’t get is why the Sagarin ratings shifted so fast. For example: last week Luers’ SOS was ranked #23, this week it’s #230. How is that possible?

21 hours ago, scarab527 said:

What I don’t get is why the Sagarin ratings shifted so fast. For example: last week Luers’ SOS was ranked #23, this week it’s #230. How is that possible?

Some idiot will say it's because they play conference only but last week were #23 SOS and then play 6a Snider and drop to #230. For those who still claim it's because they play conference only just try to explain that. I dare ya.

1 hour ago, WCGrad92 said:

Luers wasn' t 23rd last week,  they were 23rd the 19th of September. I have no clue why they dropped so much. The majority of the top teams in 2A all reside in the ICC. Must be a pretty good conference.

Must be a lot better conference than the SAC.

2 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

Luers wasn' t 23rd last week,  they were 23rd the 19th of September. I have no clue why they dropped so much. The majority of the top teams in 2A all reside in the ICC. Must be a pretty good conference.

I've written about the ICC several times on here.  They are an excellent small school conference with 4A Beech Grove and 1A Lutheran in the  mix.   I believe Lutheran won the conference this year.  There have been a few state champions from this conference in recent years.  Very competitive and very balanced.  Scecina hasn't won a title, but had back to back appearances in the 1A championship game.  And to my knowledge, they have stayed in 2A ever since.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, jakone said:

Some idiot will say it's because they play conference only but last week were #23 SOS and then play 6a Snider and drop to #230. For those who still claim it's because they play conference only just try to explain that. I dare ya.

I find it offensive that you are referring to me indirectly as an “idiot”.

I’m a “moron”.

Only an idiot would mistake me for an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1