Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 Center Grove might be Indiana's all time best

Guest DT

13 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I still believe 2001 Ben Davis is the best this state has ever seen.  They completely dismantled everyone in the tournament.

That 2001 BD team outscored their 6 tournament opponents by a score of 279 - 83 or approximately a 49 - 13 average.  The scores were sectional games:  Pike 51 - 12, Southport 48 - 0, sectional title was Decatur Central 68 - 14, regional was Warren Central 56 - 21 (the season meeting was 38 - 28), semi state was Evansville Reitz 61 - 20, and the state final was 35 - 16 over Valpo.  Not so sure you could just use these scores to  justify making them the greatest of all time, but it was pretty much 6 blowout games during the tournament.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

That 2001 BD team outscored their 6 tournament opponents by a score of 279 - 83 or approximately a 49 - 13 average.  The scores were sectional games:  Pike 51 - 12, Southport 48 - 0, sectional title was Decatur Central 68 - 14, regional was Warren Central 56 - 21 (the season meeting was 38 - 28), semi state was Evansville Reitz 61 - 20, and the state final was 35 - 16 over Valpo.  Not so sure you could just use these scores to  justify making them the greatest of all time, but it was pretty much 6 blowout games during the tournament.  

Thank you for the well-explained comment.  In reading and comprehending   it, the Trojans are just another link in the chain, nothing more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Actually BD averaged 46 points per game.  My bad.   Here's the thing:  In 2016 Linton won the 1A title and they outscored their 6 opponents 293 - 77 or an average of 48 to 12.   Does that say that Linton should be considered one of the greatest of all time?  Of course not.  My point is you can't just say someone breezed through a tournament year to call them the greatest of all time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Actually BD averaged 46 points per game.  My bad.   Here's the thing:  In 2016 Linton won the 1A title and they outscored their 6 opponents 293 - 77 or an average of 48 to 12.   Does that say that Linton should be considered one of the greatest of all time?  Of course not.  My point is you can't just say someone breezed through a tournament year to call them the greatest of all time.

Absolutely.  Pioneer and Lafayette Central Catholic have also had legendary teams.  We also have New Palestine.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

I remember that BD team...has it really been 19 years?   If I recall Warren was very good that year too.  

Is there a website with that kind of historical data?  Would be fun to poke around more.

21 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I remember that BD team...has it really been 19 years?   If I recall Warren was very good that year too.  

Is there a website with that kind of historical data?  Would be fun to poke around more.

It would as all teams must be considered, not just current day.  Although it’s impressive that Center Grove has began their season without a loss, are they only team to do so?  Methinks not...

19 hours ago, Gipper said:

Never said they weren’t...

I was talking about DT's original statement. I'm not sure this team's even better than '08 CG yet. Long way to go. If I'm ranking them, I think they have the potential to be up there with '18 WC, '17 BD and teams like that. As far as if we're talking '06 WC or '91 BD, the jury's still out.

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I was talking about DT's original statement. I'm not sure this team's even better than '08 CG yet. Long way to go. If I'm ranking them, I think they have the potential to be up there with '18 WC, '17 BD and teams like that. As far as if we're talking '06 WC or '91 BD, the jury's still out.

Got it.

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

1991 Ben Davis outscored its opposition 651-125 in 14 games.

Yes, 14 games, which would make it a full season.  We’re just a few games and some rando is ready to crown them best ever.  In the words of Lee Corso, “Not so fast, my (yeah, whatever)...”

Look, I think DT is putting forth an interesting argument (whether I agree or disagree).....particularly if CG (and, potentially, Cathedral or Brownsburg end up being highly ranked nationally and end the season undefeated within the State).  I don’t see the relevance of bringing up teams in other classes UNLESS those teams ended the season being ranked No. 1 ALL CLASSES in the State if you are making an argument for the “Best Team Ever in Indiana”.

He’s not talking about the best team under 200 kids or the best team with a left-handed coach....he’s talking about the best team ever.....and any reasonable assumption (from my perspective) is that that team is the best team ever ALL CLASSES.

I’m not sure either that scoring spreads season long (or, more specifically, only in playoffs are that relevant either).  I’m thinking there was a Reitz team MANY years ago that might have shut out everyone in the season (maybe I recall incorrectly).

I will say this, though, to have any HOPE of claiming to be the best team EVER in Indiana the absolute minimal requirement is not losing to any other team from Indiana (I could see dropping a game to an out of state team that is ranked higher nationally and still claiming to be the best team ever from Indiana).

With that, ONLY the winner of the upcoming CG/Cathedral game might hope to even distantly make that claim.....and that assumes that neither loses a game to any other team from Indiana this year.

6 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I can’t edit or check messages. To log on I have to try to start a new topic .
Ok now I can edit. Still hard to view my profile 

I just stay logged in, then refresh when I open again. Don't think I can see messages or notifications on mobile app, although I don't GET any messages, lol........so that really doesn't matter, I swear to god it doesn't.

Edited by gonzoron
To Donnie Bakerize it.
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

I’d hope that both CG and Cathedral will show all their cards and not hold back (and both be healthy) the last regular season game. To a point, that game IS the State Championship since neither are likely to be truly challenged in their own classes this year (with only the very possible exception of Brownsburg in 6A providing challenge to CG).  

For both pride and posterity, I’d really like to see both those teams give that game their all.

I think both coaches are too smart to fall into that trap.  Winning this game is meaningless without a blue ring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lysander said:

Look, I think DT is putting forth an interesting argument (whether I agree or disagree).....particularly if CG (and, potentially, Cathedral or Brownsburg end up being highly ranked nationally and end the season undefeated within the State).  I don’t see the relevance of bringing up teams in other classes UNLESS those teams ended the season being ranked No. 1 ALL CLASSES in the State if you are making an argument for the “Best Team Ever in Indiana”.

He’s not talking about the best team under 200 kids or the best team with a left-handed coach....he’s talking about the best team ever.....and any reasonable assumption (from my perspective) is that that team is the best team ever ALL CLASSES.

I’m not sure either that scoring spreads season long (or, more specifically, only in playoffs are that relevant either).  I’m thinking there was a Reitz team MANY years ago that might have shut out everyone in the season (maybe I recall incorrectly).

I will say this, though, to have any HOPE of claiming to be the best team EVER in Indiana the absolute minimal requirement is not losing to any other team from Indiana (I could see dropping a game to an out of state team that is ranked higher nationally and still claiming to be the best team ever from Indiana).

With that, ONLY the winner of the upcoming CG/Cathedral game might hope to even distantly make that claim.....and that assumes that neither loses a game to any other team from Indiana this year.

Basically, what I am saying, is this 2020 CG football team would beat any other team from any other year straight up.

I base this statement on the following :

2020 season to date results

2020 CG roster composition

2 hours ago, Grover said:

I think both coaches are too smart to fall into that trap.  Winning this game is meaningless without a blue ring.

This is the basic mentality that permeates the CG football program.  It has reached a level where anything less than a state title means the team has not accomplished its goal.

In a way, its a little sad.  Ive been watching this program build for the past 17 years.  It almost feels like all the foes are vanquished and all the mountains climbed.  Everytime I thought they hit their ceiling, they forge ahead and surpass it.  

All the credit goes to Coach Moore and the overall program he has built, from the bottom up to the very top.

Up here in Northwest Indiana, oiur high school football culture has been defined by one verse :

"All my life, I want to be a Brickie!"  Work, Work, Work"

The Hobart Brickies played in 11 state championship games in the 80s and 90s, bringing 4 titles back to The Region.

The CG program and Coach Moore remind me so much of Hobart and the great Don Howell.  Kids are indocrinated at an early age and all they want to do is play for the Varsity one day and wear those school colors.

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Basically, what I am saying, is this 2020 CG football team would beat any other team from any other year straight up.

I base this statement on the following :

2020 season to date results

2020 CG roster composition

I don’t think they beat 06 Warren or 01 Ben Davis. Just an opinion. Pretty sure both those teams finished the season top 10, if not too 5 nationally. The amount of high D1 caliber kids on that 06 Warren team was staggering.

The evolution of the game + size and strength of kids these days makes it impossible to compare teams from different eras. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I don’t think they beat 06 Warren or 01 Ben Davis. Just an opinion. Pretty sure both those teams finished the season top 10, if not 5 nationally. The amount of high D1 caliber kids on that 06 Warren team was staggering.

The evolution of the game + size and strength of kids these days makes it impossible to compare teams from different eras. 

Indeed.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I don’t think they beat 06 Warren or 01 Ben Davis. Just an opinion. Pretty sure both those teams finished the season top 10, if not 5 nationally. The amount of high D1 caliber kids on that 06 Warren team was staggering.

Precisely my point.  We do know however that kids today are bigger , stronger and faster than they were 20 years ago.  Taken in totality, this CG roster would physically dominate those teams from 15-20 years back.  You also have to consider that this team indeed does have some future NFL Players on the roster.  That alone by itself is the difference maker