Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 Center Grove might be Indiana's all time best

Guest DT

6 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Correct. The 1961 Reitz team did not allow a single point. They outscored their opponents 368-0. They only allowed an average of 72 yards per game. They were led by FB/LB Don Hansen, who played along with Butkus at UofI and played 11 seasons in the NFL. In week 8, they played unbeaten Memorial, which people called the game of the century. Apparently there was 14,000 stacked in The Bowl. Reitz obviously shut them out and won 33-0. However, I know there are people who still say that the 1960 Reitz team (allowed 15 points) was better due to more size and speed. Those teams will live on forever in southern Indiana, and especially on the west side of Evansville. However, being realistic, are those teams even better than the '07 and '09 Reitz teams? And especially any of the post-2000 BD, WC, CG teams? Hard to say. Talent, physicality, coaching, playbooks, rules, etc. are just so different and more advanced now.

AWESOME STUFF!  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I still have a very clear mental image of the name “Tardy” on the back of his jersey getting smaller and smaller as he accelerated away from me.

And that was the 2003 team, so it was 17 yrs. ago.

I couldn't recall if it was Desmond Taylor or Dexter Taylor that you had talked about (or if it was 03 or 06). Both of them were pretty darn fast.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Didn’t they play him at WR at Purdue?

Correct. He was recruited as an athlete since he ran QB in the wing-T at WC. Purdue moved him to WR but he did not have much action until he broke out in his senior year there. Did not last in the NFL, so then he went to Alaska to play for Nick Hart in the IFL. During that time he also coached for John Hart as WR coach at WC, then moved on to Butler, and now at IMG with his former coach. Quite an interesting path.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It was Desmond Tardy. As I said, I have a very clear mental image of it.

Not even sure if he was the best player in Marion County that year. Dray Mason at Chatard was just a junior and averaged 170 YPG. Tim Sergi at Roncalli averaged 167 YPG -- also a junior. Both won state championships and didn't have cakewalks for schedules. Mason went to Purdue and was moved to CB, Sergi had a good career at IU as a RB.

2003 IHSAA Rushing Stats

20 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Not even sure if he was the best player in Marion County that year. Dray Mason at Chatard was just a junior and averaged 170 YPG. Tim Sergi at Roncalli averaged 167 YPG -- also a junior. Both won state championships and didn't have cakewalks for schedules. Mason went to Purdue and was moved to CB, Sergi had a good career at IU as a RB.

2003 IHSAA Rushing Stats

Stats wise, yeah. To be fair to Tardy, he was the QB in the wing-T and two of their RBs had 1000+ yards as well. In the state title game, Tardy had 317 yards and 4 TDs at half.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

2003 IHSAA Rushing Stats

If Desmond Tardy would have had 203 carries or 360 carries in the season he likely would have had the same amount of yards. However being the QB. The RB's Bond and Lacey got a bulk of carries. They were pretty much a 3 headed monster.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:23 PM, Football Fanatic said:

Correct. He was recruited as an athlete since he ran QB in the wing-T at WC. Purdue moved him to WR but he did not have much action until he broke out in his senior year there. Did not last in the NFL, so then he went to Alaska to play for Nick Hart in the IFL. During that time he also coached for John Hart as WR coach at WC, then moved on to Butler, and now at IMG with his former coach. Quite an interesting path.

I assume you are referring to Kevin Wright at IMG. He is now on the IU staff in Bloomington.

18 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I assume you are referring to Kevin Wright at IMG. He is now on the IU staff in Bloomington.

Oh that's right. I know Tardy is still with IMG and that's why he originally went there, but I had forgotten that Wright left. Still surprised he left after going 44-2 in five years there.

2 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Agreed. I think if they go undefeated and win the state title without a single close game, they have a legit argument for being the best.

I would agree . I remember back in 2015 , CG fans were saying that team was the best CG team ever . This years team (up to this point) appears better . The only downside is that 6A as a whole is down this year compared to Normal . So I do expect Cathedral to be the only team that gives CG a test this year . 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, FastpacedO said:

If Desmond Tardy would have had 203 carries or 360 carries in the season he likely would have had the same amount of yards. However being the QB. The RB's Bond and Lacey got a bulk of carries. They were pretty much a 3 headed monster.

Now that would be a matchup I would pay to see.  That 2003 Warren team destroyed everyone included Top 5 Nationally Ranked Cincy Elder.  

6 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

In all seriousness...CG is very good...but is this the worst the MIC has ever been?

There may be some truth to that statement...however CG is absolutely dominant in all 3 phases of the game against everyone right now. I mean, C’Mon...every team they have played against sans Warren in week 2 has had to deal with a running clock to start the half.  I’ve seen the best Indy Football has had to offer since 2000 up close and personal, what is happening down on the Southside is mind blowing.  

9 minutes ago, Coachmac0703 said:

There may be some truth to that statement...however CG is absolutely dominant in all 3 phases of the game against everyone right now. I mean, C’Mon...every team they have played against sans Warren in week 2 has had to deal with a running clock to start the half.  I’ve seen the best Indy Football has had to offer since 2000 up close and personal, what is happening down on the Southside is mind blowing.  

Totally agree.  CG put up 49 points in FIRST QUARTER last night and I think defense forced 4 turnovers each resulting in touchdown?

High school football in Indiana is so damn good right now.

Center Grove is very good.........for sure But they'll have a hard time claiming "best team ever" with 6a having potentially their worst year ever overall. I'm not saying they are or aren't, they'll just have a hard time making that claim. If they beat Cathedral by more than a touchdown, I might be sold on making an argument. But that's all it will be, is an argument (friendly debate). Carmel, Ben Davis, and Warren Central had some pretty good teams. As did Penn. 

2 hours ago, Coachmac0703 said:

Now that would be a matchup I would pay to see.  That 2003 Warren team destroyed everyone included Top 5 Nationally Ranked Cincy Elder.  

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2020] Center Grove (Greenwood, IN) 28, [2003] Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN) 21

We gave em a good fight for 20 mins!!  haha

CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2003] Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN) 48, [2014] Rensselaer Central (Rensselaer, IN) 14

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2020] Center Grove (Greenwood, IN) 28, [2003] Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN) 21

We gave em a good fight for 20 mins!!  haha

CALPREPS.COM

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2003] Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN) 48, [2014] Rensselaer Central (Rensselaer, IN) 14

2006 Warren Central beat everybody by 20 points or more..

Do 2006 WC vs. 2020 CG.

Can you do pre-tourney teams.?

1960 Hammond high (10-0) was the mythical state champ.

Gave up 33 points all season. 

Do 2020 CG vs. 1960 Hammond high

17 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

2006 Warren Central beat everybody by 20 points or more..

Do 2006 WC vs. 2020 CG.

Can you do pre-tourney teams.?

1960 Hammond high (10-0) was the mythical state champ.

Gave up 33 points all season. 

Do 2020 CG vs. 1960 Hammond high

Here’s 2006 WC and 2020 CG

BD1ED439-F3EB-453A-BAAF-253DE2007016.jpeg

• Like 2