Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 6

36 minutes ago, MSG_C said:

Over half the season has been played.  It is safe to say we have a better understanding of each team now.  

Mid-Season Report:

Central, North, and Jasper has separated them self from the rest of the SIAC.  The second group is Memorial, Mater Dei, Vincennes Lincoln, and Castle.  This group relies on their defense first and hopes the offense can score enough points to win.  Each of these teams are a toss up when they play.  The bottom grouping is Reitz, Bosse, and Harrison.  I am not sure what to think about Reitz.  They do have a last second win against Vincennes and a win against Harrison. But the team on the hill is struggling on both sides of the ball.  They do have a chance to move up into the middle grouping.  All of the bottom teams have new coaches/staff and this is probably causing their struggles.

Mid-Season ranking with season ending predicted season records:

1. Central (9-0)

2. North (8-1)

3. Jasper (8-2)

4. Memorial (6-3)

5. Castle (5-3)

6. Mater Dei (4-5)

7. Vincennes Lincoln (2-8)

8. Reitz (3-6)

9. Harrison (1-8)

10. Bosse (0-8)

To this week games:

Castle @ Reitz:  Knights 31-14

Bosse @ Memorial:  Tigers with a running clock in the 4th.  42-12

Harrison @Vincennes Lincoln:  Alices pulls away in the second half. 35-14

Mater Dei @ North:  North wins this, but MD will keep it close.  28-17

Game of the Week:  Jasper @ Central

Jasper now enters the hardest part of their schedule.  Central is so talented and fast.  It will be very interesting to see what the DC come up with to try to stop the other team.  However in the end, Central has more overall talent and speed than Jasper.  Central wins pulling away.  Bears 38-21

What do you all think is the biggest difference between North and Central?

- Talent

- Mistakes (namely penalties and turnovers have been a bug-a-boo of recent Central teams)

- Coaching

Or is it a 50/50 game, where we are splitting hairs in speculation?

58 minutes ago, MSG_C said:

The second group is Memorial, Mater Dei, Vincennes Lincoln, and Castle.  This group relies on their defense first and hopes the offense can score enough points to win.  Each of these teams are a toss up when they play.  The bottom grouping is Reitz, Bosse, and Harrison.  I am not sure what to think about Reitz.  They do have a last second win against Vincennes and a win against Harrison. But the team on the hill is struggling on both sides of the ball.  They do have a chance to move up into the middle grouping.  All of the bottom teams have new coaches/staff and this is probably causing their struggles.

Nice report, I agree with most of it. It's obviously your personal analysis, but I mean, Reitz beat VL at their place in only the 2nd game with the new offense/defense system. Switching those would be the only thing I would change. Neither team has looked great at most times. I would say VL has the better defense. Reitz probably has more playmaking athletes and speed. I think they're close but personally, I'm in no position to say VL is better than Reitz. The only common opponent so far is Central (Reitz lost 57-20, VL lost 55-7), which is basically a wash. Also can't forget Reitz was in the game with Jasper, only down 21-14 through the third quarter. We will find out a bit more after Reitz plays Castle and VL plays Harrison. Also excited to see how Central/North/Jasper play out in the standings, as I still can't decide how I think they will finish.

If I had to guess, it goes Central, North, Jasper. However, Jasper is physical enough and has the ideal offense to speed up games and stay in good position. I just think Central and North have too many athletes and too much speed.

Edited by Football Fanatic

1 hour ago, South Paw said:

I think it's still too early to say that Jasper has separated themselves and is in the top tier. I'm not a hater, but they haven't played Central, North, or Castle yet. The eye test says they should be able to compete, but if they go 0-3 in those games, it will move them back in the pack. We'll find out more this Friday night.

Don't mean to pile on, but I kind of agree.  I also thought MD had a puncher's chance of beating Jasper last week too.  I'm wrong a lot.       

• Haha 1

Does anyone have a link to the SIAC All-Sports Titles of recent? All I found is this, which is terribly out of date. When I was at the Courier (almost 7 years ago), Coach Neidig would email or fax all things SIAC.

I think Jasper could really shake things up, given its overall solid athletic program and state-level competitiveness in sports like tennis, golf, swimming, baseball, etc...

Don't mean to change the subject too much, but what does everyone think of the overall strength of the conference this year? I read early in the year that the conference was going to be down from years past but I don't know that I believe it is. It seems the addition of a very solid Jasper team and Vincennes Lincoln has toughened everyone's schedule. I think you could've argued a few years ago that with 2 non conference games and the bottom of the conference a decent SIAC team could have 5 easy wins. I don't that's the case this year. Even for a team like Castle, who may be in third or fourth in the conference, there aren't 5 easy wins. It will be interesting to see how the playoffs shake out in a few weeks.  

9 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Don't mean to change the subject too much, but what does everyone think of the overall strength of the conference this year? I read early in the year that the conference was going to be down from years past but I don't know that I believe it is. It seems the addition of a very solid Jasper team and Vincennes Lincoln has toughened everyone's schedule. I think you could've argued a few years ago that with 2 non conference games and the bottom of the conference a decent SIAC team could have 5 easy wins. I don't that's the case this year. Even for a team like Castle, who may be in third or fourth in the conference, there aren't 5 easy wins. It will be interesting to see how the playoffs shake out in a few weeks.  

More solid in the middle tier. I see Mater Dei (just wait), Central (Mooresville could be tough if they (Central) make it out of the sectional), and North (Bloomington South always tough and a good Floyd Central team likely to come out of the other sectional) with realistic shots at semistate.

16 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

It depends if you want to define strength as parity or top-tier team that can make a deep run. 

I see the SIAC winning 4 sectionals, one per class 2A - 5A.  I don't see any teams winning regional, similar to 2016. 

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Whose year is it to technically be the "home team" -- in other words, who will wear red and who will wear blue. Scoreboard, PA, and timing are all responsibilities of the home team, regardless, right?

Memorial is the home team.  

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What do you all think is the biggest difference between North and Central?

- Talent

- Mistakes (namely penalties and turnovers have been a bug-a-boo of recent Central teams)

- Coaching

Or is it a 50/50 game, where we are splitting hairs in speculation?

Both have lots of talent.  Central has the bruising FB Madison (who looks like a completely different player now than when he was at Bosse).   Central has a brash attitude and can get themselves into problems with penalties at times.  

5 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Does anyone have a link to the SIAC All-Sports Titles of recent? All I found is this, which is terribly out of date. When I was at the Courier (almost 7 years ago), Coach Neidig would email or fax all things SIAC.

I think Jasper could really shake things up, given its overall solid athletic program and state-level competitiveness in sports like tennis, golf, swimming, baseball, etc...

Sadly, I don't think anyone has maintained the site in several years.  A guy from Castle took over after PN but he retired from Castle a few years ago.  I think Jasper will immediately jump into the top 4 on an annual basis.  For the last 20 years it has been Castle and Memorial fighting for #1, MD at #3, and then the rest.    

57 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

It depends if you want to define strength as parity or top-tier team that can make a deep run. 

I see the SIAC winning 4 sectionals, one per class 2A - 5A.  I don't see any teams winning regional, similar to 2016. 

Maybe you're right here. Maybe it's more depth or parity than in the past. I'm not sure about the regional comment although you could be correct here as well. But I don't buy that the conference is having a down year this year.   

19 hours ago, tango said:

Both have lots of talent.  Central has the bruising FB Madison (who looks like a completely different player now than when he was at Bosse).   Central has a brash attitude and can get themselves into problems with penalties at times.  

I agree. Side note, I was told by a Central fan that Madison broke his foot against Reitz. I cannot confirm if that is true or how long he is expected to miss. Would be unfortunate for Central on both sides of the ball if true.

6 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

I agree. Side note, I was told by a Central fan that Madison broke his foot against Reitz. I cannot confirm if that is true or how long he is expected to miss. Would be unfortunate for Central on both sides of the ball if true.

Yes, that might change the defensive game plan a little, although Boberg is also very good and can still fill the role of the bruising FB.  

20 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

2A MD, 3A Bosse?, 4A Central, 5A North... is that the four? edited... forgot about VL 

Edited by Cappy

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

That would be a big loss for them. I don't think it will impact the offense as much as Boberg can fill the gap with more carries, but it could really hurt defensively.

21 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Maybe you're right here. Maybe it's more depth or parity than in the past. I'm not sure about the regional comment although you could be correct here as well. But I don't buy that the conference is having a down year this year.   

It's hard to tell if it's parity or mediocrity. Consistent offense seems to be the struggle point for many teams. Is it because the defenses are so good? There's a lot of young QBs in the SIAC right now. Will the offenses catch up with the defenses at some point this year or will it be a year or two? I just don't see many SIAC teams that are strong on both sides of the ball right now. That normally wouldn't translate well to the post season. You need both phases to make a run. 

57 minutes ago, combthehair said:

I just saw that Central is going to try and stream it on their Facebook page. 

Can anyone confirm that to watch this you have to give a credit card on this site below?  Looks shady to me.

https://signup.lushweb.net/en/html/sf/cc/eone_m3dsc.html#&sf=eone&lng=en&m=sports&ref=5171088&prod=604&sub_id=&_sign=a49239e9c3973365303390dbd97e35c1&_signt=1601067985&utm_expid=

10 minutes ago, Alduflux said:

That a big no, it is a scam. Most of the those "Jasper-Central Football livestream" links are fake, unless it is 14news or an reliable regional network. But never click on those scam links that ask for any personal information or your credit card. 

The livestream should be on Central's FB page I heard 

11 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

That a big no, it is a scam. Most of the those "Jasper-Central Football livestream" links are fake, unless it is 14news or an reliable regional network. But never click on those scam links that ask for any personal information or your credit card. 

The livestream should be on Central's FB page I heard 

My experience is the following links in order.  The third one is lushweb and asks for credit info.

Is this legit or is the central fb page linking to a scam?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evansville Central High School/108518592506724/

http://cbs.livedirect.tv/hs.php?fbclid=IwAR1inoNG7Bx_stNqMTeVYfcNDfYrPDVhb4YUs1fN_6C3kb52Xuz3DWfsTQA#.X25hFO0pCUk

https://signup.lushweb.net/en/html/sf/cc/eone_m3dsc.html#&sf=eone&lng=en&m=sports&ref=5171088&prod=604&sub_id=&_sign=e6a5b62b88d83b5e33dab2e379f1483a&_signt=1601069410&utm_expid=

Edited by Alduflux