Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

(3 - 2) Linton @ (4 - 0) North Daviess

We are heading down the homestretch now.   Week 6 finds the Miners at the undefeated Cougars.   While the Cougars have yet to be defeated, their opponents combined record is 4 - 13.  Last week saw the Miners lose to 4A Boonville in OT while the Cougars beat 1A Rock Creek Academy, 40 - 7.  Harrell is predicting a 35 - 24 Miner win.  I'm expecting it to be more than 11 points as the Miners are going to be fired up after losing last week's game.  Good health to the players and safe travels for everyone.

28 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Is there a chance this game is closer than the 43-6 prediction. I don't disagree Linton is probably better but North Daviess is quite a bit better, aren't they? Weak schedule aside, they are still a solid team.

My prediction is 59 - 13 with caveat.   ND won't be able to slow Linton's running game.  Second half running clock and how early JV plays makes final score prediction difficult.

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

My prediction is 59 - 13 with caveat.   ND won't be able to slow Linton's running game.  Second half running clock and how early JV plays makes final score prediction difficult.

So, what you're saying is ND's record really is a product of their schedule and they haven't improved.

Disclosure: Not a ND fan. Just trying to start conversation.

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I swear, one of these days I’m going to wangle an observer’s assignment to a game at LS! The way people talk about that place ... I’ve got to see it for myself.

Get a couple of ribeye samwhiches. They’re badass I swear to God they are. Just stay away from the fence behind the bleachers in the north west corner. I don’t think those dudes have had their shots!

Edited by Donnie Baker
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I swear, one of these days I’m going to wangle an observer’s assignment to a game at LS! The way people talk about that place ... I’ve got to see it for myself.

Wait until the virus is over and go see a game during the tournament.  The air in Linton is electrified at that time of the year.  It is one of those situations where the town is behind the team.  When I moved to Linton in 1995, I couldn't believe how much they loved their football.  I figured it would be basketball in Indiana, but in Linton, it's always been about the gridiron (to my delight).  And as the AD told me many years ago,  "Once a Miner, always a Miner".  My son graduated in 2003 but I STILL follow the Miners every week, every season.  It's been a joy and sometimes hellish watching this program grow.  It has been great to see them earn and gain respect around the state.  Their SOS these days is much, much stronger than it was even 5 years ago.  No more, "you guys don't play anyone".  And don't forget:  there are signs hanging up as you come into town that says, "you'll like Linton".  C'mon down, Bobref!

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Wait until the virus is over and go see a game during the tournament.  The air in Linton is electrified at that time of the year.  It is one of those situations where the town is behind the team.  When I moved to Linton in 1995, I couldn't believe how much they loved their football.  I figured it would be basketball in Indiana, but in Linton, it's always been about the gridiron (to my delight).  And as the AD told me many years ago,  "Once a Miner, always a Miner".  My son graduated in 2003 but I STILL follow the Miners every week, every season.  It's been a joy and sometimes hellish watching this program grow.  It has been great to see them earn and gain respect around the state.  Their SOS these days is much, much stronger than it was even 5 years ago.  No more, "you guys don't play anyone".  And don't forget:  there are signs hanging up as you come into town that says, "you'll like Linton".  C'mon down, Bobref!

It’s a mere 200 mi. drive ... one-way. But I don’t mind exchanging a little windshield time for a great high school football atmosphere and a good ribeye!

7 hours ago, JQWL said:

Is there a chance this game is closer than the 43-6 prediction. I don't disagree Linton is probably better but North Daviess is quite a bit better, aren't they? Weak schedule aside, they are still a solid team.

I have no idea if North Daviess is better this year or not. Looking at their results from last year and this year I do not see any result that shows much improvement. They have played three teams this year that they played last year. Here are the results.

2019 vs. Tecumseh won 42-2.   2020 vs. Tecumseh won 44-0.   + 4 in 2020.

2019 vs. Eastern Greene won 42-0. 2020 vs. Eastern Greene won 40-6.  -6 in 2020.

2019 vs. Washington won 26-8. 2020 vs. Washington won 34-20. -4 in 2020.

Looks like they are just about the same as last year compared to their opponents.

6 hours ago, JQWL said:

So, what you're saying is ND's record really is a product of their schedule and they haven't improved.

The only thing I’ve been able to find to compare at all was Washington. ND beat them 34-20 and boonville beat them 48-6 or somewhere around there. I would say Linton and boonville are pretty evenly matched considering the went to OT and both got beat by southridge 28-0. Sort of a long out of the way comparison, but I myself was trying to find out if they were actually good or just played a weak schedule and that’s really the only thing I could come up with. 

22 hours ago, JQWL said:

I do think that North Daviess is improved and getting better.  I just feel like the Miners' rushing offense will be too much.  If Linton wasn't so one dimensional offensively they could be really good but that one dimension is enough for weaker teams.  Against Boonville Linton put up 42 points in the loss but completed one pass for 3 yards.  It's not that they don't try to pass, they just have very little success.  As for the score I predicted,  I could be way off.  I just threw that out there.

as for the score I predicted

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingtut said:

Apparently, Linton's best lineman, Donovan Debruhl, will not play tonight.  Concussion last week.

Well that stinks.  Hopefully he recovers fast.  I'll still say the Miners win  36 - 12.  This is the best team the Cougars will play all year.  I think the Miners rushing attack will be too much for the Cougars to handle.  Probably see a couple of Miner rushers over the 100 yard mark.  I wonder if Miner Pride will do a game write up today?  He didn't post one last week for the Boonville game.

I won't predict a score  Linton should win though. Look at the Teams our Miners have played. 3-2 actually very impressive after the Blowout week 1. Boonville was a game of the last 5 years. ND is really doing well is that SOS probably I think. Just like Linton was for years. I do think that ND has the potential to highly rise in 1A just like Linton did thru success not so much enrollment. With the schedule my Miners  have already played I want to see something. I wanna see domination. Dont confuse that with a blowout. They are not the same. If we dominate in all areas the score doesn't matter we Win. I highly regard the Cougars. ND doesn't really have to do well or not in this game. Wont see Linton again this year. Linton has to dominate to be a real threat in 2A. If we keep improving but dominating in the latter half of our season I can possibly see another nugget round Turkey Time! Just a thought

2 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

I won't predict a score  Linton should win though. Look at the Teams our Miners have played. 3-2 actually very impressive after the Blowout week 1. Boonville was a game of the last 5 years. ND is really doing well is that SOS probably I think. Just like Linton was for years. I do think that ND has the potential to highly rise in 1A just like Linton did thru success not so much enrollment. With the schedule my Miners  have already played I want to see something. I wanna see domination. Dont confuse that with a blowout. They are not the same. If we dominate in all areas the score doesn't matter we Win. I highly regard the Cougars. ND doesn't really have to do well or not in this game. Wont see Linton again this year. Linton has to dominate to be a real threat in 2A. If we keep improving but dominating in the latter half of our season I can possibly see another nugget round Turkey Time! Just a thought

I think the Miners will make more noise in the tournament next year.  With only 5 seniors on the roster this year, they will be another year older and experienced next season.  The team is mostly sophomores and juniors this year.  The running game is really starting to click.  They have 4 solid ball carriers.  Any of them can get 100+ on any given night.  Most of the games have seen 4 ball carriers get between 60 - 80 yards.  So there is no one guy they have to depend on.  Makes it tougher on defenses.  Now that the tough part of the schedule is over (first 5 weeks) the Miners should be favored and win the last 4 games.  I think we'll probably see a couple of games where a couple of backs get 100+.  It's already happened once (if I remember right).  The easier games should also give the Miners a chance to work on the passing game too.

6 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Another week and no game write up from Miner Pride???   Say it isn't so!

Whats to write about? Big Dan is the guy for Miner Football ( Well and Rex Tuttle our Historian). I expect writings will increase when we figure out who this Miner Team is

Just now, globemstr3 said:

Whats to write about? Big Dan is the guy for Miner Football ( Well and Rex Tuttle our Historian). I expect writings will increase when we figure out who this Miner Team is

He's always done write ups for games regardless of "who the team is".  I imagine it may have something to do with his work schedule and he hasn't had time the last 2 weeks to do one.  At any rate, I miss reading them.  I've always liked his insight and getting a heads up on the other team.

4 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I think the Miners will make more noise in the tournament next year.  With only 5 seniors on the roster this year, they will be another year older and experienced next season.  The team is mostly sophomores and juniors this year.  The running game is really starting to click.  They have 4 solid ball carriers.  Any of them can get 100+ on any given night.  Most of the games have seen 4 ball carriers get between 60 - 80 yards.  So there is no one guy they have to depend on.  Makes it tougher on defenses.  Now that the tough part of the schedule is over (first 5 weeks) the Miners should be favored and win the last 4 games.  I think we'll probably see a couple of games where a couple of backs get 100+.  It's already happened once (if I remember right).  The easier games should also give the Miners a chance to work on the passing game too.

Sorry my friend Im not a next year guy. Shoulda worried about next year 3 years ago

1 minute ago, globemstr3 said:

Sorry my friend Im not a next year guy. Shoulda worried about next year 3 years ago

Whatever that means.  They WILL be better next year.  Just too young this year.  They make too many untimely mistakes.  Penalties, missed blocks, missed tackles, etc.  I deal mostly with realty.  Reality = this team isn't playing Thanksgiving weekend.  If they do, then that will mean 4 or 5 teams (out if 6) they should have played, had to forfeit due to the virus.  Sectional 40 is still tough.  Tell City is tough this year and Mater Dei is still the team to beat in spite of their record.  They play the second toughest SOS in all of 2A.   You can never count them out.