Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OH #8 Cincy La Salle vs IN. #1 Indianapolis Cathedral

Irish welcome another nationally ranked Ohio GCL team to Indianapolis this Friday. Pre-season #1 in Ohio in the Greater Catholic League South (Tri-State), the Lancers return a ton of senior talent including 4 DBs with D1 offers including Alabama. Should be a fantastic match-up with Cathedral’s new air attack led my Indiana’s 3rd leading passer in Nathan McCahill and Cathedral’s soon-to-be receiving leader in Cam Jordan. The real advantage for the Irish should come in the ground game as CHS’s O-Line continues to emerge. 

Speaking of emerging, the Irish junior linebacking core has been awesome the last couple weeks. Aided by a dominant front 3, Irish D held a potent St. X offense to 2 scores last week. Appears highly recruited RB Gi’bran Payne and super mobile QB Zach Branam are a bit dinged up, but looks like they both are playing Friday. 

Scouting report here (minus a Jaylen Norwood departure): https://tristatefootball.com/2020/05/2020-snapshot-la-salle/

32 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The Irish have a chance to win the GCL title😉.  They came real close last year with an OT loss at Elder and a close loss to St. X.

Close. Horseshoes and hand grenades. A pissed off Elder awaits a stretch W for Cathedral next Friday. Supremely worried about LaSalle. 

I took a look at their recruits that show up on 247 Sports: 

Class of 2021: 6'1 CB committed to Cincinnati, 6'1 S committed to Ohio State, 6'0 CB committed to Alabama, and 6'0 CB committed to Miami (OH)

Class of 2022: 4 Star RB with offers from Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Penn State, etc. 

That is an impressive amount of talent in the Secondary. They did give up over 50 points to Elder (2 OT game). I'll go with Irish by 15.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

But... Arlington.

In all honesty, haven't some said that next year's Cathedral team will have more experience than this year's squad -- not speculating on which would be better.

We have 41 juniors and 8 seniors. Big skill players losses in QB, RB1, WR1, 2DL, 1 S. This senior class was Coach Peebles’ first freshmen class.

Entire O Line will be back. NFL prospect TE. Best slot receiver in the state. D1 Kicker. And, a nasty linebacking crew all return. We are not halfway to a title run this year, so let’s not put the cart before the horse. Much work to do starting with an underrated LaSalle team at Arlington on Friday. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

We have 41 juniors and 8 seniors. Big skill players losses in QB, RB1, WR1, 2DL, 1 S. This senior class was Coach Peebles’ first freshmen class.

Entire O Line will be back. NFL prospect TE. Best slot receiver in the state. D1 Kicker. And, a nasty linebacking crew all return. We are not halfway to a title run this year, so let’s not put the cart before the horse. Much work to do starting with an underrated LaSalle team at Arlington on Friday. 

I agree and wish the Irish all the luck against another formidable out-of-state opponent. Best slot receiver in the state? Better than Mockobee of Booonville who's headed to Navy as an ATH/RB/WR/DB (I don't follow recruiting ratings too closely)? He's playing RB because a handoff is much easier than a pass for Boonville. He still catches passes out of the backfield...

When is the reclassification cycle re the success factor? 

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

But... Arlington.

In all honesty, haven't some said that next year's Cathedral team will have more experience than this year's squad -- not speculating on which would be better.

As discussed on this forum before, Arlington is a very unique home-field advantage for the Irish for many reasons.

Irish      35

LaSelle 21

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

As discussed on this forum before, Arlington is a very unique home-field advantage for the Irish for many reasons.

Irish      35

LaSelle 21

Went to Yappi to see if my account is still active -- I must've misplaced my password, but I did find this:

http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?threads/gcl-south-2020-includes-poll.333736/page-5

LaSalle will lose the line battle— but may have better speed to handle Cathedral’s wide plays— which means Cathedral will just go up the middle more.
La Salle played very well defensively last night after the first couple drives against the best back they've seen this season and the biggest (not best ... that's X) line. That said, Manual didn't have a QB that posed any threat whatsoever.

And I guess we'll see what's going on with Payne.

P

Pope Francis 1

To anyone that followed tonight’s Cathedral-X game: Does La Salle have any chance at all? Not feeling great about that one.
Cathedral D line was putting crazy pressure on X QB’s.

On 9/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bears62 said:

Hope the Irish get it done but Cathedral is not Indiana’s number 1 team

I don’t think anybody can deny that on paper Center Grove is by far and away the most talented team in the state and the way they’ve dominated their competition speaks for itself.

That being said, will be tough convincing me that Cathedral to date doesn’t have a more impressive resume than Center Grove. Cathedral currently has more Sagarin top 10 wins than Center Grove and boasts a win over St. Xavier who would almost assuredly be a top 5 Sagarin rated team in Indiana.

In a few weeks we’ll have our answer for sure.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I read on Yappi that La Salle is banged up and playing without a decent amount of key players. I'm changing my pick to Catheral by 23.

Sounds like Payne (RB with a ton of offers) is out. QB banged up but playing. LaSalle still has 4-5 other D1 commits on the team and will certainly be a tough match-up. Believe their secondary has an Alabama, Ohio State, and Cincinnati commit so definitely a tall task for Cathedral's passing game. But yes I think Cathedral has the advantage on the line and should be able to run the ball with some success.

28-17 Irish. 

On 9/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bears62 said:

Hope the Irish get it done but Cathedral is not Indiana’s number 1 team

Aren't they #1 in 5A?  Whenever they have these interstate games, they usually use the class rankings of the teams.  Cathedral is #1 in 5A but according to Sagarin, they are #2 overall in the state.

49 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Aren't they #1 in 5A?  Whenever they have these interstate games, they usually use the class rankings of the teams.  Cathedral is #1 in 5A but according to Sagarin, they are #2 overall in the state.

Here’s the deal.

Sagarin only counts In-State Games.  Out of state games are a black hole as far as Sagarin.

MaxPreps/CalPreps calculates ranking inclusive of in and out of state games.  

I’m a huge Sagarin fan but for teams who play out of state games Sagarin has historically chronically underrated them (or simply not been able to rate them).  Despite my leanings towards Sagarin the lack of inclusion of out of state games is problematic.

Sagarin has the Top 5 currently as:

1. Center Grove (6A)

2. Cathedral (5A)

3. Brownsburg (6A)

4. Chatard (3A)

5. North Central (6A)

MaxPreps/CalPreps  has the Top 5 currently as:

1. Cathedral (5A)

2. Center Grove (6A)

3. Brownsburg (6A)

4. Chatard (3A)

5. North Central (6A)

I’m likely the last guy here riding the Cathedral bandwagon but Sagarin takes NO consideration of their win against St. X Cincy (which is a bit significant).  Sagarin takes NO consideration of the fact Brownsburg beat St. X as well.  

Right now, I think the Big 3 are Brownsburg, Cathedral and Center Grove (in alphabetical order).  Both polls agree...just a matter of whether it’s Cathedral or Center Grove that’s #1.

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Here’s the deal.

Sagarin only counts In-State Games.  Out of state games are a black hole as far as Sagarin.

MaxPreps/CalPreps calculates ranking inclusive of in and out of state games.  

I’m a huge Sagarin fan but for teams who play out of state games Sagarin has historically chronically underrated them (or simply not been able to rate them).  Despite my leanings towards Sagarin the lack of inclusion of out of state games is problematic.

Sagarin has the Top 5 currently as:

1. Center Grove (6A)

2. Cathedral (5A)

3. Brownsburg (6A)

4. Chatard (3A)

5. North Central (6A)

MaxPreps/CalPreps  has the Top 5 currently as:

1. Cathedral (5A)

2. Center Grove (6A)

3. Brownsburg (6A)

4. Chatard (3A)

5. North Central (6A)

I’m likely the last guy here riding the Cathedral bandwagon but Sagarin takes NO consideration of their win against St. X Cincy (which is a bit significant).  Sagarin takes NO consideration of the fact Brownsburg beat St. X as well.  

Right now, I think the Big 3 are Brownsburg, Cathedral and Center Grove (in alphabetical order).  Both polls agree...just a matter of whether it’s Cathedral or Center Grove that’s #1.

I get everything you're saying.  I'm riding the Indiana bandwagon.  Anything to promote Indiana high school football.  Wasn't that the main reason that Tim started this website?  So I don't care who it is exactly or where they are ranked.  It's all about  beating those guys across the state line, right?  But Cathedral is #1 in 5A.  That week 9 game will tell us who's top dog in the state and we won't have to speculate or depend on polls.

11 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I get everything you're saying.  I'm riding the Indiana bandwagon.  Anything to promote Indiana high school football.  Wasn't that the main reason that Tim started this website?  So I don't care who it is exactly or where they are ranked.  It's all about  beating those guys across the state line, right?  But Cathedral is #1 in 5A.  That week 9 game will tell us who's top dog in the state and we won't have to speculate or depend on polls.

Honestly really have no idea what you are saying.  I just pointed out the polls and their differences. Pity that you don’t care about analytical ranks...

I’m not riding anybody’s bandwagon.  I could care less.

From what I’ve seen so far previously on the GID is that BOTH Cathedral and Center Grove don’t really care about their late season game and will sit on their hands in that game.

We really won’t know who is No. 1.....based on most of the comments I’ve seen heretofore.

Its all about the Blue Rings....so everyone repeats endlessly.

To be clear, Brownsburg, Cathedral and Center Grove (separated solely by alphabet) likely have some gap between the current No. 4 (Chatard) and it remains to be seen who ends up 6A champ between CG and Brownsburg.

Edited by Lysander

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Honestly really have no idea what you are saying.  I just pointed out the polls and their differences. Pity that you don’t care about analytical ranks...

I’m not riding anybody’s bandwagon.  I could care less.

From what I’ve seen so far previously on the GID is that BOTH Cathedral and Center Grove don’t really care about their late season game and will sit on their hands in that game.

We really won’t know who is No. 1.....based on most of the comments I’ve seen heretofore.

Its all about the Blue Rings.

Aren't we just having a conversation?  I said I get what you were saying about the polls. I check them regularly.   I call BS about Center Grove OR Cathedral not caring about that week 9 game.  Maybe their fans don't care but you can bet your sweet potato that the teams do.  And Center Grove and Cathedral should get their blue rings.  Unless someone in either of their classes pull off a major upset.

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

I call BS about Center Grove OR Cathedral not caring about that week 9 game.  Maybe their fans don't care but you can bet your sweet potato that the teams do.  And Center Grove and Cathedral should get their blue rings.  Unless someone in either of their classes pull off a major upset.

Dunno....all the folks here seem ambivalent about that game.  I think a few of them are likely a little credible.

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Dunno....all the folks here seem ambivalent about that game.  I think a few of them are likely a little credible.

Could be they are just trying to keep it on the "down low".   Or maybe just being respectful towards each other.   Regardless of how things appear, I only know that the week 9 winner will be the definite #1 in the state.  Cathedral pretty much plays one of the top schedules in the state.  They always play a few of the big dawgs in Ohio.  Being independent allows them to do that.  They can load it up and have to play through a meat grinder.  At any rate, they are always tested by the time the tournament rolls around.