Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OH #8 Cincy La Salle vs IN. #1 Indianapolis Cathedral

13 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Dunno....all the folks here seem ambivalent about that game.  I think a few of them are likely a little credible.

It would clearly be different if that game wasn't the last regular season game before playoffs.  If both teams continue to put big scoring gaps between opponents and go undefeated  just don't see any reason either team would go all-out against each other for the reasons we already discussed.

At the same time, should that happen, the AD's of both schools should make the situation wholesome and do what is necessary to open up the 2021 season playing each other as both teams will no doubt be ranked #1 in their class to start next season regardless what happens this season.

41 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Dunno....all the folks here seem ambivalent about that game.  I think a few of them are likely a little credible.

It's an inopportune time to have the game right before the start of the playoffs, but it still matters to an extent as bragging rights are on the line, nobody wants to ever lose. But given the all-in format where you actually know your first round opponent before week 9 kicks off and the fact there's no seeding/qualification/conference title implications on the line means it's only bragging rights for one team. For instance, I suspect if Indiana had a qualifying format, last years 4-4 Center Grove heading into their week 9 match-up with Cathedral likely would have needed a win to get into the postseason and someone like Carsen Steele who was sidelined most the year with injuries would have played.

But sans 2018, all these games have actually been terrific to watch. Each game (other than 2018 blowout) has been decided by a touchdown or less. There's been high scoring games, a 7-0 defensive slugfest, even an OT thriller. With Cathedral and Center Grove likely both being head and shoulders better than the rest of their class peers, this game probably declares the best team in the state. I don't know what the coaches plan on showing or who they will choose to play/sit, but I do know that both teams will give it their all.

38 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's an inopportune time to have the game right before the start of the playoffs, but it still matters to an extent as bragging rights are on the line, nobody wants to ever lose. But given the all-in format where you actually know your first round opponent before week 9 kicks off and the fact there's no seeding/qualification/conference title implications on the line means it's only bragging rights for one team. For instance, I suspect if Indiana had a qualifying format, last years 4-4 Center Grove heading into their week 9 match-up with Cathedral likely would have needed a win to get into the postseason and someone like Carsen Steele who was sidelined most the year with injuries would have played.

But sans 2018, all these games have actually been terrific to watch. Each game (other than 2018 blowout) has been decided by a touchdown or less. There's been high scoring games, a 7-0 defensive slugfest, even an OT thriller. With Cathedral and Center Grove likely both being head and shoulders better than the rest of their class peers, this game probably declares the best team in the state. I don't know what the coaches plan on showing or who they will choose to play/sit, but I do know that both teams will give it their all.

That's what I'm thinking, too.  As you say, It will be for nothing other than bragging rights however, it will also be for the #1 ranking in the state (yeah I know, still bragging rights).  I know Center Grove has been ranked in the national polls this year.  Should Cathedral win, can we assume they will move into the national polls?  I mean it will be the last week of the season so maybe not.  I haven't checked for a couple of weeks, so maybe they are in it already.  But I haven't heard anyone say anything about it.  It's great for the state of Indiana.  I may be just a fan of a 2A team but I like all of football and think it's great when Indiana gets recognized nationally, regardless of who the team is.  Cathedral's schedule does a lot to promote Indiana football with their interstate games.  And I doubt it is just Ohio and Indiana paying attention to their games.

• Like 1

I'm very surprised at the number of posters speculating that either team wouldn't do everything in their power to win a game. You're making it sound like a Tier 2 or 3 college bowl game, where an NFL prospect would sit out to avoid risk of injury. 

If both teams remain undefeated or even if Cathedral stumbles against the GCL teams, the game has state, Midwest, and national ranking implications. That's a once in a decade or more match-up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I'm very surprised at the number of posters speculating that either team wouldn't do v everything in their power to win a game. 

Read every post over the last 4-6 weeks regarding this game.  Pretty much everybody on both sides is ambivalent.

Do some of you only read the GID annually?

I’m only repeating what has been said.....err....repeatedly.

I admit to being equally incredulous.

19 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I'm very surprised at the number of posters speculating that either team wouldn't do everything in their power to win a game. You're making it sound like a Tier 2 or 3 college bowl game, where an NFL prospect would sit out to avoid risk of injury. 

If both teams remain undefeated or even if Cathedral stumbles against St.X, the game has state, Midwest, and national ranking implications. That's a once in a decade or more match-up. 

I don't agree necessarily that either team plays to "lose" this game, just may not pull out all the tricks and trades right before playoffs. The way the game is called, decision-making, etc could be different. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Read every post over the last 4-6 weeks regarding this game.  Pretty much everybody on both sides is ambivalent.

Do some of you only read the GID annually?

I’m only repeating what has been said.....err....repeatedly.

I admit to being equally incredulous.

Someone give this guy a cookie and tell him to sit down.  I guess we aren't permitted to have a discussion about a game.  

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Could be they are just trying to keep it on the "down low".   Or maybe just being respectful towards each other.   Regardless of how things appear, I only know that the week 9 winner will be the definite #1 in the state.  Cathedral pretty much plays one of the top schedules in the state.  They always play a few of the big dawgs in Ohio.  Being independent allows them to do that.  They can load it up and have to play through a meat grinder.  At any rate, they are always tested by the time the tournament rolls around.

You can bet Cathedral and Center Grove will be playing all our studs in Week 9 if we can both stay healthy. And, I think the fans might want a full power slobber knocker more than even the players. But, Cathedral has two more nasty Cincy GCL foes the next two weeks (La Salle, Elder) and a let-down game with Brebeuf before we even think about Center Grove. If either Cathedral or Center Grove lose before Week 9, it could diminish that game. It was personally circled before the season even started for most Cathedral and CG faithful. We have many more weeks to discuss the possibilities of that game. Until then, stay healthy Irish and Trojans! And Go Irish tonight! Beat the Lancers! 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Someone give this guy a cookie and tell him to sit down.  I guess we aren't permitted to have a discussion about a game.  

Sometimes I feel like I’m playing cards with my brother’s kids when I’m here.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Sometimes I feel like I’m playing cards with my brother’s kids when I’m here.

What do you have against your nieces and nephews. It took me until I was 8 to realize my Presbyterian grandma was letting me win in Uno and War... No such sympathy from my Cathedral grad ('56 I think), Army vet grandfather...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Damn, they were so effing fast. By double over anyone we’ve seen. Great squad. 

I totally agree!  Not only were they fast, they were also quick!  It's fun to play against the GCL.  They bring it every night!

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

Is this the third or fourth game this season where we have given up more than 100 yards in penalties?  

It started with the Bishop Chatard game.  The first three games were somewhat penalty free.