Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - Stellar Performances Year To Date

Guest DT

1. Elkhart 4-0 /  Elkhart is showing the rest of the state how to maximize athletic success post consolidation.

Anderson , Muncie, South Bend, Hammond, Gary, etc.  None have been able to see the success that Elkhart has had following a major consolidation.  And these Lions are beating some solid teams, with wins over Mishawaka, Columbus East and last week rival Penn.  Look for Elkhart to run the table and finish its first season 8-0 heading in to the playoffs.

2. Mooresville 5-0 / Mike Gillin is building a 4A juggernaut at Mooresville.  Everyone watched in disbelief after the program that Mark Bless had built crumbled and the Pioneers became a floor mat in the Mid State Conference.  Gillin arrived and he has combined his offensive prowess with Mooresville's  traditional blue collar attack and has created a monster that is running roughshod over the MSC.  MHS has two very solid opponents ahead in the upcoming weeks in Franklin and Whiteland, but Gillins team, like Elkhart, is also in position to make a run to an undefeated regular season.

3. Merrillville 4-0 / Merrillville has been its own "Cradle of Coaches" over the years, with big names like Demaree, Haupt, Wimmer,  and Yelton.  Brad Seiss is looking to make a name for himeslf and join that exclusive company as Merrillville might have its best team in a decade.  This roster is loaded with D1 talent, and conference COVID related setbacks have widened the gap between the Pirates and the rest of the Duneland field.  This is the year that Merrillville has targeted for a trip to Indy and a 6A state title game.  All the cards are in place for the Pirates to achieve their mission.

4. Indianapolis Roncalli  3-1 / The Rebels have struggled for the past several seasons, both on and off the field.  Things seem to be settling back in on the field as the Rebs looked like  their dominating old selves in a 42-0 thrashing of Guerin last week.  First year Coiach John Rodenberg clearly is more comforable on the sidelines of an established PP than on a multi ethnic city public, following his success in the GCL.  RHS has a challenging schedule, and that continues this week with a trip to Lafayette Harrison.

5. Jasper 5-0 / The Wildcats have been more than impressive in their first year in the SIAC.  Jasper has outscored its 5 opponents 172-38,  and that includes impressive wins over Memorial, Reitz and Mater Dei.  The game of the year will occur this week, as 5-0 Evansville Central hosts Jasper in a game for leadership in the conference.  

6. FW Carroll  4-1 / The high flying Chargers are sitting atop the Summit , tied with Dwenger and Homestead for the conference lead.  Doug Dinan's team is averaging 48 ppg on offense, even after scoring only 3 TDS in a 31-21 loss last week to Dwenger.  Carroll is one of the fastest rising 6A programs in the state.  Look for them to be in the mix in November

7. Lafayette Jeff 5-0 /  Jeff is doing what is is expected to do, which is beat everyone on their schedule, and handily.  The North Central Conference is a cakewalk again this year, so Jeff's drive and determination must come from within and from its staff.  Pat Shandley is a good one, and will no doubt be on the radar of Indy big school ADs who are looking for a bright young coach to lead their program.  Tough for the Bronchos to stay motivated with Marion, Richmond, Logansport and Muncie Central ahead in the next month.  

8. Mishawaka Marian 5-0 / The  3A Knights are on fire, and couldnt be in a better position as they prepare to visit Penn on Friday night.  Marians sister school Mishawaka is struggling a bit in their first year in the NLC, but these Knights are all systems go as they face a stretch run that includes Elkhart and Catholic rival St Joe.

9. Kankakee Valley 5-0 / It might be a stretch to say that this weeks game at Lowell is the biggest in KV history, but its got to be in the top 5 at least.  The unbeaten Kougars wiped out Munster last week, and now face their long time nemesis Lowell in a game that will give KV a chance to show it is no fluke.  Regardless of the outcome, KV would be wise to beef up their non con schedule, as beating up on 2a and 3a schools is not the ticket to post season advancement.

10.  Lawrence North 3-2 / LN probably had the most impressive loss in the state last week, losing to MIC rival Carmel 36-34 in a game  that went down to the wire.  Coach Pat Mallory has the most talented player in the state in IU Bound quarterback Donaven McCulley, and the LN offense is nearly unstoppable when getting contributions from every position.  The Cats have a brutal 4 week strech ahead with Ben Davis, Warren Central, Center Grove and Pike on the menu.  Pick any of those games and you will be treated to a performance by several high level future Division 1 college players.

11. Mount Vernon 5-0 / Its odd to look at the Hoosier Heritage standings at this time of the year and see no one but New Pal sitting at the top.  MV put an end to that a few weeks ago, and the Marauders are blasting their way towards an unbeaten regular season in Mike Kirschners 3rd year at the helm of the program.  Always dangerous Pendleton Heights is lurking this week, and Mount Vernon doesnt want to be caught looking too far ahead.

12. Westfield 4-1 / Westfield might be the most under rated, under appreciated and taken for granted big school program in the state.  Surrounded by MIC titans and HCC juggernauts, the Shamrocks are that little school on the hill that always seems to nudge its way into the conversation, based on its surprising performance.  The Rocks will have their biggest test of the season this week when they travel to 5-0 Brownsburg.  Im never surprised when this team pulls an upset,  It seems to be in their DNA.

57 minutes ago, DT said:

12. Westfield 4-1 / Westfield might be the most under rated, under appreciated and taken for granted big school program in the state.  Surrounded by MIC titans and HCC juggernauts, the Shamrocks are that little school on the hill that always seems to nudge its way into the conversation, based on its surprising performance.  The Rocks will have their biggest test of the season this week when they travel to 5-0 Brownsburg.  Im never surprised when this team pulls an upset,  It seems to be in their DNA.

Alright DT, I’ll give you some love. Biggest test of the season? Pretty sure that was Week 1 and it was running clock at half. Interested to see a comparative score though...

4 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Alright DT, I’ll give you some love. Biggest test of the season? Pretty sure that was Week 1 and it was running clock at half. Interested to see a comparative score though...

I gave that some consideration, but no doubt, the Wf folks will look at BlackBerry as the much bigger game

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I would not expect that Westfield would beat the Indianapolis Catholic Traveling All Stars in week 1, week 9 or any other week.  Coach Pebbles appears to have that program now where he wants it.   Will he stay or jump to big money in The Mic or HCC?

15 minutes ago, DT said:

I would not expect that Westfield would beat the Indianapolis Catholic Traveling All Stars in week 1, week 9 or any other week.  Coach Pebbles appears to have that program now where he wants it.   Will he stay or jump to big money in The Mic or HCC?

He just left the MIC...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DT said:

Fred Flintstone's daughter? 😄

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Pretty sure that was Week 1 and it was running clock at half. 

May play again in the Regional.

16 hours ago, DT said:

7. Lafayette Jeff 5-0 /  Jeff is doing what is is expected to do, which is beat everyone on their schedule, and handily.  The North Central Conference is a cakewalk again this year, so Jeff's drive and determination must come from within and from its staff.  Pat Shandley is a good one, and will no doubt be on the radar of Indy big school ADs who are looking for a bright young coach to lead their program.  Tough for the Bronchos to stay motivated with Marion, Richmond, Logansport and Muncie Central ahead in the next month.  

Coach Shanley has big school assistant coaching experience too. He was on Mike Kirschner's staff here at Ben Davis.

15 hours ago, DT said:

2. Mooresville 5-0 / Mike Gillin is building a 4A juggernaut at Mooresville.

Coach Gillin made the right decision going to Mooresville.  He avoids PP schools except Roncalli, which is not nearly as scary as Indianapolis Catholic Traveling All Star😂.  Competitive conference and I think the win over Decatur Central shows this Mooresville team is taking the next step and is a serious contender.

15 hours ago, DT said:

7. Lafayette Jeff 5-0 /  Jeff

They need to beat a quality 6A team before I can say they have had a stellar performance.  

15 hours ago, DT said:

10.  Lawrence North 3-2 / LN probably had the most impressive loss in the state last week, losing to MIC rival Carmel 36-34 in a game  that went down to the wire.  Coach Pat Mallory has the most talented player in the state

LN has the two most explosive offensive players in Central Indiana.  Omar Cooper is the real deal.  I am interested to see their results the next four weeks as you mentioned.  If LN gets hot and wins these next 4 weeks, look out.

15 hours ago, DT said:

6. FW Carroll 

Jeff Becker is the best quarterback I've seen play in Indiana this year.  If he played in the Indianapolis area, he would be a household name.  I like their chances to make some noise in the tournament because when you have a QB like that, you're never out of game.

15 hours ago, DT said:

11. Mount Vernon 5-0

Mike Kirshner has surpassed expectations already in year 3.  Excited to see what this team accomplishes this year

I am taking the KOUGARS with a "K" in the annual MILK JUG contest!!! 

KV has a 3 1/2 year starter at QB and their Senior class has embraced their very talented sophomore class who have been playing very passionately and hungry this year.   

KV QB:   Eli Carden    Throw and Run threat.   They have great size on both sides of the OL/DL and our led defensively by 3 years MLB starter #5 Feddaler (butchering the spelling) 

WOULD LOVE to attach some Stats.....  but I guess its super secret in Northern Jasper County 

20 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

They need to beat a quality 6A team before I can say they have had a stellar performance.  

Agreed.  Lafayette Jeff at this point is just another NCC maybe,  much like Kokomo was for a few years under Brett Colby.  Although the Wildcats did reach a state title game before Mr. Colby retired to go coach with his son.

Beating up on patsies in a conference full of dying rust-belt towns really doesn't prepare you much for the tournament.

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Coach Shanley has big school assistant coaching experience too. He was on Mike Kirschner's staff here at Ben Davis.

Would love to see Lafayette Jeff pick up Ben Davis for a 2 year contract. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spock said:

agree:   Love that Jeff played Lawrence Central as well this past year.  I think Coach Shanley ,knows the next step is to supplant his conference schedule with some better Non Conference games.   

Love when former Bombers do well!!!   

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

No, we are 5A for the next 2 years. 

Sorry, I misunderstood. My apologies. I thought you were referring to Brownsburg/Ben Davis for some reason.

23 minutes ago, Spock said:

No room at the inn. It's my understanding (unconfirmed but I've heard) that BD is locked up with Brownsburg and Avon for the forseeable future in non-conference games. It would be fun, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Sounds like the next BD HC to me.  Just a matter of time.  Doesnt the current HC want to go into administration in the near future?

1 hour ago, Spock said:

With BD locked in, you should seek out a deal with Center Grove.   I doubt the Cathedral deal will be long term and CG has been rotating its other non con games over tjhe past decade.  Whiteland.  Franklin   New Pal,  Decatur Central.  Roncalli.  Cathedral.  Would love to see Jeff get in the mix

16 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

He just left the MIC...

Well you know facts never get in the way of his thinking.

17 hours ago, DT said:

I gave that some consideration, but no doubt, the Wf folks will look at BlackBerry as the much bigger game

Why would they look at their Blackberry's as the much bigger game? I would think most of them have switched to iPhone's or Samsung's, but you never know.

Just now, FastpacedO said:

Well you know facts never get in the way of his thinking.

Why would they look at their Blackberry's as the much bigger game? I would think most of them have switched to iPhone's or Samsung's, but you never know.

LOL   My Blackberry auto corrected "Brownsburg" to "Blackberry" and I didnt catch it.  

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I am taking the KOUGARS with a "K" in the annual MILK JUG contest!!! 

KV has a 3 1/2 year starter at QB and their Senior class has embraced their very talented sophomore class who have been playing very passionately and hungry this year.   

KV QB:   Eli Carden    Throw and Run threat.   They have great size on both sides of the OL/DL and our led defensively by 3 years MLB starter #5 Feddaler (butchering the spelling) 

WOULD LOVE to attach some Stats.....  but I guess its super secret in Northern Jasper County 

Should be a great game, but who has KV really beaten?  A few 2A schools, Wheeler who is legitimately good.  Lowell’s defense is really good, Mr. Carden will have his work cut out for him.

RDP 27, Kougars with a K 8

Really wish Jeff could join a new conference because they need stronger competition badly, but i really just don’t see any options. The past 3 years they would probably fit right in the 4-5 spot in the HCC. They’ve taken down Westfield and Noblesville in sectionals recently and also played Carmel good 2 years ago, were even up 14-0 on them. Would be hard for them to be the only Lafayette school to leave the NCC. Harrison would probably be the the second worst HCC team this year ahead of Franklin Central (could maybe beat Noblesville but i doubt it) and McCutcheon is just a lost cause at this point. Really nowhere for them to go, but they have surely made themselves a reputable opponent in the past 5 years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bears62 said:

Really wish Jeff could join a new conference because they need stronger competition badly, but i really just don’t see any options. The past 3 years they would probably fit right in the 4-5 spot in the HCC. They’ve taken down Westfield and Noblesville in sectionals recently and also played Carmel good 2 years ago, were even up 14-0 on them. Would be hard for them to be the only Lafayette school to leave the NCC. Harrison would probably be the the second worst HCC team this year ahead of Franklin Central (could maybe beat Noblesville but i doubt it) and McCutcheon is just a lost cause at this point. Really nowhere for them to go, but they have surely made themselves a reputable opponent in the past 5 years

The big Tippecanoe County and Lafayette government schools fled the HCC several years ago for the NCC (Jeff has already flip-flopped, it had already been in the NCC since 1931).  Don't think the HCC would welcome them back with open arms.