Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gale Sayers Passes Away at 77

Muda69

https://www.outkick.com/gale-sayers-passes-away-at-77/

It was announced this morning that Pro Football Hall of Famer Gale Sayers has passed away at the age of 77. The Chicago Tribune is reporting Sayers had been in declining health due to dementia.

The “Kansas Comet” was inducted into the hall of fame in 1977 after a seven-year NFL career that included 4,956 yards and scored 56 touchdowns. Bears founder George Halas called Sayers “poetry in motion” during the running back’s induction ceremony. “His like will never be seen again,” Halas added.

Sayers, who starred at Kansas before being drafted No. 4 in the 1965 draft, is a member of the NFL 100th Anniversary all-time team even after playing in just 68 career games due to injury including one from a Kermit Alexander hit that Halas mentioned during the 1977 induction ceremony. Halas called it a “clean” hit and noted how Alexander “said how sorry he was that it happened.”

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent out statement this morning noting Sayers was “one of the finest men in NFL history and one of the game’s most exciting players.”

“We will also forever remember Gale for his inspiration and kindness. Gale’s quiet unassuming demeanor belied his determination, competitiveness and compassion,” Goodell added.

“Each of us excels at different things, sometimes in areas that are only a hobby, more often in our life vocation,” Sayers said during his induction speech. “The most important thing, however, is to strive to do our very best.  Nothing is more of a waste than unrealized potential.  Sometimes failure to use one’s talents to the fullest is often the fault of the individual.”

RIP Mr. Sayers.  You are one of the greats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was fortunate enough to grow up in Cleveland, my love for football coinciding with the career of the greatest player the game has ever seen, Jim Brown. Then I moved to the Chicago area and was able to watch pretty much the entire career of Walter Payton. But having seen glimpses of Sayers, I’m not so sure they wouldn’t both have been looking up at him had he avoided injury.

• Like 1

This one hurts

My Dad took me to Wrigley Field in 1969 to see the Bears and Gale play.  I remember the terrible knee injury he suffered against the 49ers that efectively ended his career.  Makes me feel old.  ☹️

Edited by DT

As you folks know, there are many great stories from the days of the Bears training camp in Rensselaer IN 

To think that the likes of Sayers, Butkus et. al were part of our community every year for a few weeks is mind blowing to me.   

Just wish some of them would of settled down on their roots here post playing days!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

As you folks know, there are many great stories from the days of the Bears training camp in Rensselaer IN 

To think that the likes of Sayers, Butkus et. al were part of our community every year for a few weeks is mind blowing to me.   

Just wish some of them would of settled down on their roots here post playing days!!  

According to Wikipedia Mr. Sayers resided in the Wakarusa area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muda69 said:

According to Wikipedia Mr. Sayers resided in the Wakarusa area.

Last week Lou Brock

This week Gale Sayers.

Ouch

Growing up in the 60s and 70s, these were two iconic names.