Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2019

Punttheball

3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I expected (and still do) that Campbell will be a starter.  If he isn't, I still expect him to play a prominent role in the offense.  Ballard and Reich both have huge man crushes on him.  Today at camp he had a great day.  For all of the doubters who said he can't run a route tree, they should be watching clips of him at camp.  Dude is going to quickly become a fan favorite.  You were wise to pick him up.  Another dude having a good camp (so far) is Funchess.  I hear he's having a blast and playing great.  Funny what a change of scenery can do for a guy's career.  Just ask Ebron.  I also hear that Autry is a one man wrecking crew on the D line in camp.  With Houston getting pressure on the outside and Autry on the inside, we may finally have a great D line this year.  Lots of high expectations out of Indy this season.  I believe the first 5 games are going to say a lot about how good they are having to play the Chargers in week one and the Chiefs in week 5.

I’m not a big believer in funchess tbh...but autry...man. I don’t know how to explain how bad it felt to have him on one of my fantasy teams last year and have him sit on the bench the game he put up like 4 sacks lol.

Im a packers fan so I don’t really follow the colts too much but man. I would say McDaniels backing out and getting Reich was like changing your mind on the powerball numbers and picking the winning numbers doing so. Colts are in such a good position with development/cap management/roster strength. 

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew Luck's "Small Little Bone" Injury Is Apparently On The Move: https://deadspin.com/andrew-lucks-small-little-bone-injury-is-apparently-o-1837222894

The saga of Andrew Luck’s strained calf has reached the point where it’s time to worry whether anyone knows just what the hell is going on. Colts owner Jim Irsay identified a “small little bone” in Luck’s left leg as the source of the quarterback’s ongoing pain and discomfort, which leads to all sorts of questions about just what the hell kinds of surplus bones Luck might have floating around in his soft tissue down there.

Irsay’s aborted attempt to name the injury—“It’s a bone—I’m not good at these things, but it’s called mo-something else—but it’s a small little bone”—opened the door for more specific forms of speculation Tuesday afternoon. CBS4 in Indianapolis found a local doctor who suggested a condition called “myositis ossificans,” which involves burrs of bone tissue forming where they very much do not belong, inside muscle or soft tissue, following an injury. The possibility that Andrew Luck’s left leg might be ossifying into a bone spear sounds all too plausible given his injury history, but according to a report from Zak Keefer of The Athletic, whatever the issue is it is for the time being confined to Luck’s left ankle:

Let us not dwell on the question of how a strained calf managed to become a high ankle injury, nor on how it was described as a “small bone” problem as recently as this afternoon. Let us instead dare to hope that the persistent discomfort that has kept Luck from fully participating in training camp for a period of weeks is at long last on the brink of resolution. Pay no attention to the fact that Irsay and head coach Frank Reich have projected confidence at every step of the process, and yet here, on August 13, we are being told that the Colts have “finally found the source” of Luck’s ongoing pain, and it appears to have migrated to a whole new part of Luck’s body. We are not experts! Let us leave such things to the football men.

This injury story is looking like it's going to spiral out of control, much like Mr. Luck's serious shoulder injury did.

• Disdain 1

9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Andrew Luck's "Small Little Bone" Injury Is Apparently On The Move: https://deadspin.com/andrew-lucks-small-little-bone-injury-is-apparently-o-1837222894

This injury story is looking like it's going to spiral out of control, much like Mr. Luck's serious shoulder injury did.

It would appear the fans are being "played" like they were in 2017 with the should injury.  The Colts aren't very good at playing "dumb" but they must think the fans are.  They keep putting off the Luck "injury" in hopes of selling those tickets.  Just a few days ago they said he'd miss 3 more practices, now they are saying he won't play at all in the preseason.  So which is it?  3 days or 3 weeks?  He has missed almost the entire summer camp.  I'm willing to bet he won't start week one either.  Oh well.  After all of the hype that was generated around this team after the draft, it looks like it's going to go to waste.  Ballard is great at drafting and such, but he still has a ways to go about handling injury info and making BS sound believable.  And so it goes...….

Edited by itiswhatitis

Easy now, it's a long season. I expect Luck to miss a game or 2 as well but that isn't going to make the season a waste. He could miss the first 4 games, which is still just glorified preseason, and the Colts could be 2-2 with Brissett. I could even see 3-1 with an opening day loss to the Chargers and then wins against TN, ATL, and OAK. 

Colts will still be the division champs at 10-6 or maybe even 9-7 with Luck missing 4 games worst case scenario. No reason to hit the panic button on this season yet. 

The latest rumor I've heard is the Colts will make an announcement soon that Luck will be having surgery to repair his ankle (remember the original injury was to his calf).  If that happens, he will start the season on IR.  Not good news if it is true.  If he has surgery, it will depend on how long it takes for him to heal.  6 - 8 weeks maybe?  So you can probably expect to see:  no division title, no playoffs, no nothing.  Just another year of waiting to see who the Colts can draft next year.  Maybe they'll draft a QB that can stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Does this rise to the level of THE biggest bust in franchise history? I know Steve Emtman is high on the list, but damn. The franchise was being built for Luck. I wish him well, but talk about putting the team in a tough spot. 

Luck absolutely is not a bust. In the grand scheme of things. The biggest bust was the lack of due diligence that was afforded to protecting him. His injuries are a direct result of the team not doing everything in their power to protect him. A team that has routinely had so much cap space to play with failed to get the right pieces until last year. Unfortunately even after going from basically the worst OL to one of the very best in 1 year thanks to 2 great Rookies, it was too little too late.

This is just the reality of the situation. I’m sure the Giants and other organizations are paying attention to this. If the giants start Jones behind that horrible OL will they pay for it down the road? Absolutely 

• Like 1

Okay I've had over night to digest what has transpired.  Luck is gone.  That can't be changed.  I think the timing of his announcement wasn't very good.  However, I can respect his decision to walk away.  How many retired guys have to use canes or walkers just to get around due to football injuries?  How many retired guys have the shakes?  How many of them have no feeling in certain parts of their bodies due to football injuries?  Luck has made the decision (HIS decision) to retire so he may have a good quality of life in the future.  I don't fault him at all for doing it.  Again, I would question the timing of it.  Fans booed him as he walked off the field last night.  What he has done for the franchise and the city of Indianapolis cannot be measured and being booed is the thanks he gets?  To the fans who booed, no matter how angry you might be, that was totally unnecessary and totally bush league.  Too bad they can't be identified and banned for life from all future games.

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

Luck was the least sacked guy in the NFL last year.  He played all 17 games and the Pro Bowl, throwing 39 TD passes (2nd only to Mahomes) , earning NFL comeback player of the year.  He had the right GM and the right coach.  Who bails when the pieces are finally all in place??

Nothing at all mentioned in the off season about any injuries, nor any treatment for injuries.  All of a sudden when the camp is starting, various injuries surfaced and even they kept changing.  Calling those suspect is not out of reason.

He has openly stated that much of this is mental.....sometimes I wonder if that isn't the vast majority and the Colts are covering for him.  Notice Irsay is allowing Luck to keep the 24.8 MM that is due back to the Colts?

Could this be about getting his "head on straight" with the Colts hoping he comes back to the stable in the future??

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

I think you missed the sentence where I said they went from last to one of the best because of the two rookie OL.

i get that people are upset...but when the colts drafted him he had always said football was one of his many interests. He was never just a football guy. 

If I had the choice between 

A) retire at 30 with 100 million and some relatively minor injuries 

or 

B) retire at 40 with 300 million with potentially severe long term chronic injuries and probably some brain damage 

im taking 30 and 100 million every day.

What Andrew Luck Means: https://deadspin.com/what-andrew-luck-means-1837554491

Given the circumstances, it’s remarkable Andrew Luck wasn’t playing for the Detroit Lions. The Colts franchise QB is retiring less than two weeks before the NFL season is slated to begin. There’s already a host of people, namely idiot Colts fans, ready to castigate Luck for his timing, but Luck is hardly the first NFL player to bow out of the sport in what ought to be his prime, nor will he be the last. The list keeps growing: Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, Chris Borland, Jason Worilds, Pat Tillman, Tiki Barber, Robert Smith, Vontae Davis, Lynn Swann, Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, and now Luck. Luck accomplished so much in his brief career—including the second-greatest comeback in playoff history—but his legacy will forever feel incomplete now.

Luck was always a prime candidate to cut his own career short, given both his injury history and—GASP!—his open affection for outside interests, namely architecture. Those outside interests weren’t enough to prevent the Colts from drafting Luck, perhaps because they weren’t too political or demonstrative in nature, or perhaps because Luck’s father Oliver was also a Respected Football Man, or perhaps because Luck was, physically speaking, as well-built to withstand the rigors of football as anyone could possibly be.

But I assume the Colts banked on Luck being a lifer in the sport because he was supremely talented and because he was, himself, a voracious football lover. You don’t have to go too far to find evidence of that love. Luck was the guy who WANTED to get hit by opposing pass rushers, because it helped him get his sea legs for game action. That’s how insane he was for the sport. That he felt as if he had no choice but to finally abandon it NOW, right when his team and the general football public would resent his decision the most, suggests he had little hope in being able to change his own mind. This was not a choice. This had to be done.

And while the NFL will handle Luck’s retirement with its usual false graciousness, the collective silent scream of GMs and scouts in the face of a draining talent pool is growing by the second. Luck is the largest domino to fall, by far. If he can walk away from the game (and from untold millions earnings in future earnings in a league in which good QBs play for quite a while) right before the season begins, anyone can. That means, going forward, teams are gonna be too scared shitless to draft ANYONE.

Try to think of another sport that has to deal with players not wanting to play it. This is only happening to the NFL, and all of the rule tweaks and happy penalty flag barrages they’ve concocted have not and will not curtail that exodus. That’s why scouts ask players all kinds of deranged shit at the combine, like If you were a jellybean, what flavor of jellybean would you be? or If you could murder a man and get away with it, wouldn’t you? All the 40 times and vertical jumps get their usual undue amount of attention. But what scouts REALLY want to learn about prospects when they come to the combine in Indianapolis—how fitting a locale at the moment—is, Are you too smart and rational to keep playing this game?

No one else besides the NFL is stupid enough to keep engineering ways to sustain an unsustainable game. Andrew Luck’s retirement will only increase the primal urgency of Football Men to find True Football Believers to play football: those who don’t ever question their faith in it. Richie Incognito is a seriously unwell man who should NOT be playing football right now, and yet the Oakland Raiders gleefully snatched him off the open market this offseason. Why? Because they know that Richie already tried to walk away from this sport—citing failing organs, no less—and still couldn’t bring himself to do it. That, against all intuition, is what EVERY team wants. They want you all in, and they don’t mean it in the Chuck Pagano way. They want people who are either willing to sacrifice all of themselves to play the game, or people who are too oblivious to know that’s what they’re doing. They do NOT want people who fully understand just who and what they’re giving their bodies over to. And they have cultivated a fan and media culture that looks down on pretty much any player who does not meet those insane criteria:

They want you to enlist. They want you to serve your team for God and country. That is the blueprint. The NFL has always been in love with its war metaphors. So it’s fitting that the league now finds itself existentially lost when trying to deal with the consequences of REAL human wreckage—of players discovering that this sport will kill them, and it will kill them faster the longer they play it. The NFL doesn’t want players like that. They want something beyond mere passion. They want players too obsessed to see the danger, or to feel the pain. They want you, pardon the expression, brain damaged. Andrew Luck knew better than to give his entire life to this league. He won’t be the last. In some critical ways, he is merely the first.

Yep, Mr. Luck made the right decision.  The NFL is slowly failing, and his early retirement is one of the symptoms.

22 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What Andrew Luck Means: https://deadspin.com/what-andrew-luck-means-1837554491

Yep, Mr. Luck made the right decision.  The NFL is slowly failing, and his early retirement is one of the symptoms.

I don’t think the NFL is failing. We have a society that prides itself on working dangerous jobs. The most dangerous jobs always pay more.  Plenty of people work in coal mines today even though they understand the inherent risks of doing so. 

In 40 years there will still be plenty of people who will destroy their bodies in the name of pride and money....and there will still be viewers to watch it.  

I think it’s possible we see more of this though. Where guys are like “ya know. I have made enough money. My kids are set for life and my grandchildren will be just fine. Let me enjoy the rest of my life”. But we are not going to see football die....just new bodies sacrificed for our entertainment more often 

Too long to quote but now I catch your vibe. 

It is a shocker but if his rehab is as bad as he says it is for him. I can’t blame him.

also take a peak into Leron McLain today. Sad reality of what is going on for some players.  Hoping he gets the help he needs and deserves 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, Boilernation said:

Highland, Indiana, the town that spawned the greatest troll in gridiron digest history and the GM who ruined Andrew Luck’s career. 

Yeah, Highland sucks.  I wish we could trade it for Flossmoor, Illinois.   But in my staying true to the thread, although I'm not a Colts fan (as is most of the...world), what they did to Luck the other day was pure garbage.  Crap like that happens in New York and Philadelphia, not here.  I thought we were better than that.

• Sad 1

I think the majority of fans were/are mad because of the timing of the retirement.  I don't fault the decision, but waiting until 2 weeks before the season starts was bad.  I seriously doubt Luck will come back.  If he tries, he will look like a hypocrite and a liar.  He would REALLY get booed then.  Brissett is the starter now.  People have to forget about 2017.  This team is much better than it was then.  He knows the playbook now too.  In 2017 he was learning it on the fly.  I see the Colts running the offense like business as usual even with JB at quarterback.  No, he isn't Luck, but Luck wasn't Manning either.

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I think the majority of fans were/are mad because of the timing of the retirement.  I don't fault the decision, but waiting until 2 weeks before the season starts was bad.  I seriously doubt Luck will come back.  If he tries, he will look like a hypocrite and a liar.  He would REALLY get booed then.  Brissett is the starter now.  People have to forget about 2017.  This team is much better than it was then.  He knows the playbook now too.  In 2017 he was learning it on the fly.  I see the Colts running the offense like business as usual even with JB at quarterback.  No, he isn't Luck, but Luck wasn't Manning either.

Understood, just looked bad.  It didn't really help that the whole thing was broadcast on TV.

Andrew Luck Got Out.  I Couldn't: https://deadspin.com/football-doesnt-let-you-leave-1837662990

Empathy isn’t one of football’s commanding virtues. You don’t play because you care about the other guy’s pain. You play because you want to crush him. Same goes for watching—either you disconnect from the consequences, or you can’t really enjoy it.

While Andrew Luck’s decision to retire has baffled many fans (and I include journalists here, because journalists are the biggest fans), every NFL player understands why he’s doing it. When you make it to the NFL, people tell you that you’re living the dream. They tell you how lucky you are. They tell you it’s a good thing you don’t have to get a real job like they had to, because their lives suck and yours is awesome. When people constantly tell you how great you have it, it’s hard to do anything but nod and agree, even when you feel something else entirely.

Fans only see NFL players on Sundays, and only the guys who are healthy enough to play. But there are 349 other days of the year, and there only 22 guys on the field at a time. The rest of the days and the rest of the men are caught up in what Andrew Luck referred to as, “the cycle of injury, pain and rehab.” If you play football past high school, you are familiar with it. Three of my six seasons in the NFL ended on injured reserve. Broken tibia, ruptured groin, dislocated/separated shoulders, torn hamstrings, cracked ribs, fingers, concussions, bulging discs, torn knee ligaments, etc. The glory was fleeting; the injuries were constant. And everyone I spoke to reminded me that I was living the dream.

But it was never my dream to be lying on a training table for four hours a day, hooked up to machines, ice bags strapped to my body, while my teammates went to meetings and practiced. It was never my dream to wake up in the morning and wonder how I’d get through the day, to drive to work in pain and confusion, on the verge of tears, trying to understand how things got to this point. What I had done wrong—because, if I was so unhappy while living the dream, I must have done something wrong, right?

It was never my dream to turn on the TV and hear entitled assholes speculating about my health, my injuries, and devoting segments on their shows to discussing my medical file, guffawing their way through segment after segment about the hell I have endured. But that’s what life becomes for NFL players: reciting tired sound bites through gritted teeth and long, sleepless nights, handfuls of pills, and early-morning rehab sessions, sideways looks from coaches who want you on that field, who need you on that field, or else your ass is gone. That feeling that follows you wherever you go, whoever you talk to, that the line of questioning will be—when are you coming back? How’s the shoulder? We’re counting on you!

“Oh, it’s coming along,” you’ll say, knowing that it isn’t. Knowing that it’s only getting worse. Knowing that there is something else in the way, some worm in your conscience preventing the unabashed, enthusiastic healing process that is integral to a speedy football recovery. When the mindset is singular and the body is newer, healing is less complicated. But when the injuries pile on top of one another, and the residue from each one sticks to your bones, and your muscles refuse to forget what you’ve put them through, then your “love of the game” finally gets a cup-check, and that’s right about at the age of 27 or 28.

Call it a confluence of perspectives. The body is no longer cooperating. The adrenaline of game-day has subsided. The adulation of the fans no longer excites. Neither does the big check every week. The shine begins to wear off the Shield. You imagine yourself on a beach. On an island. Far from a football field, free from the mental anguish and paranoia you live with every day. Still, you soldier on, because everything in your life has steered you onto that field.

As a child, the spinning football called me to chase it. My heroes wore red and gold. They postered my walls. By the time I saw John Taylor catch the winning touchdown from Joe Montana in Super Bowl XXIII, I was a full-fledged, capital-B Believer. Whatever I could do to get there, I would. And I did. And once I put on my pads, like all football players, I became a prisoner of my success; a slave to my toughness. I wore that badge with pride and had no qualms about where it was taking me. But then my body started to fail me; injury after injury, disappointment after disappointment.

No matter how rough things got, though, I always worked my way back, never wanting an injury to define me. Never wanting weakness to be my final act. That’s the pact you make when you put on that helmet. That’s what grandpa expected, that’s what dad expects, and what all of your coaches and friends and neighbors expect. That kid who told you you’d never make it. That coach who cut you in college. The reporter who said you weren’t worth a shit. You’ll show them all. You’ll have the last laugh.

And so you play until they drag your lifeless body from the grass, and it’s all you can do to muster a thumbs-up as they wheel you into the tunnel, knowing that’s how you secure your legacy. Every football player knows how to make that sacrifice. But few know how to walk away. That seems to be changing, and thank god for that.

Somewhere, Andrew Luck is laughing.