Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2019

Punttheball

So the Colts way passed my expectations this fall.  Anyone that said they thought the Colts could accomplish making the playoffs this season and win a game in the playoffs, is a liar.  I don't think Chris Ballard would even say the Colts accomplished more than he thought possible this year.  

Very excited for this off season.  The Colts have 9 draft picks and over $100 million in cap space.  They will sign a few guys back and make some moves.  Who do they bring back?  Who do they target in Free Agency?  I'm not sure Ballard can play the waiting game.  This team needs a few nice veteran adds to go along with the young talent.  I would dangle Brissett for additional draft picks.  He will leave after next year anyway without any compensation.  I'm not sure we can afford to keep him if we can get a second rounder out of him.  We might be able to get more.  I believe there are like 10 teams that need Qb's and very few NFL ready college guys in the draft.  His stock falls right in behind Foles of Philly.  What do the rest of you think?

do you want the mess that is AB or Bell for that matter?    Were they a mess in Pittsburgh as their culture is a mess?   

I would NOT touch Brown in any capacity 

Bell I could see as he was making a point on the business side of things, other than the weed suspension, he hasn't been near the distraction as Brown is.  

If you trust your draft process, and you have that sort of draft capital, I say save the money and keep building, so when its time to resign these picks:  Nelson, Leonard, et al you can.   Maybe extend TY.  He has earned it

Did anyone else notice that Gehrig Dieter (the former standout player for the controversial SB Washington team a few years back) made the field on Sunday playing for the Chiefs and had an 11 yard catch?  SF did.  Congrats to Mr. Dieter for lasting through the college years and making it to the Pros.....

51 minutes ago, swordfish said:

Did anyone else notice that Gehrig Dieter (the former standout player for the controversial SB Washington team a few years back) made the field on Sunday playing for the Chiefs and had an 11 yard catch?  SF did.  Congrats to Mr. Dieter for lasting through the college years and making it to the Pros.....

I saw that, when they called his name for making a catch I mentioned to the family that he was a Washington kid...glad to see him making it in the pros!

18 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Gonna use most of their money to re-sign their own/extend contracts. 

Probably a few mid tier signings like Autry, Ebron, Inman, etc...but don't see him going crazy spending when he has said over and over you build championship teams through the draft.

They need an elite receiver and pass rusher...right now neither is on the roster.  Some may feel TY is that guy...he isn’t.  He is a great compliment...but he cannot carry a team.  

I do not feel that the Colts will resign as many of the rfa/urfa’s as people think.  I agree that some will be signed.  IMO they are to close to say they are just going to wait on draft talent to develop around Luck.  He needs an elite WR now.  My 2 cents.

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

They need an elite receiver and pass rusher...right now neither is on the roster.  Some may feel TY is that guy...he isn’t.  He is a great compliment...but he cannot carry a team.  

I do not feel that the Colts will resign as many of the rfa/urfa’s as people think.  I agree that some will be signed.  IMO they are to close to say they are just going to wait on draft talent to develop around Luck.  He needs an elite WR now.  My 2 cents.

agreed they need another WR to take the pressure off of Hilton, is Cain gonna be that guy next year?  dunno, he's recovering off of an ACL tear, but free agent WR's aren't all that attractive either...maybe Golden Tate?

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Wow! This is shocking.  

Not a total shock though if you've followed the Denzelle Good story after he left Indy.  He was also one of McDaniels hires and benefited from some serious new/young talents on the line this year.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/28/indianapolis-colts-denzelle-good-oakland-raiders-dave-deguglielmo-release/

11 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Not a total shock though if you've followed the Denzelle Good story after he left Indy.  He was also one of McDaniels hires and benefited from some serious new/young talents on the line this year.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/28/indianapolis-colts-denzelle-good-oakland-raiders-dave-deguglielmo-release/

The Denzel’s Good situation was bad. Kind of stayed hush hush.  I kind of forgot about that.

Hilton is still the man in Indy, and will be Luck's main weapon and target until Indy drafts or stumbles upon a better target. Don't forget that good defenses are capable of game planning around stopping Hilton because Luck has one of the worst receiving corps in the league. Dontrelle Inman was a good midseason pick up, but he isn't a long term answer. 

The Colts need to draft a WR with their first round pick or one of their second round picks, then take a chance at another in the later rounds.

I hope the Colts target Dee Ford or Demarcus Lawrence to help generate that pass rush. I think the whole T.Y.  not being a real  #1 WR argument is silly, but the Colts do need to draft a WR early to help take some pressure off of T.Y. I personally like N'Keal Harry out of Arizona State.

GB 

17 hours ago, GB4 said:

I hope the Colts target Dee Ford or Demarcus Lawrence to help generate that pass rush. I think the whole T.Y.  not being a real  #1 WR argument is silly, but the Colts do need to draft a WR early to help take some pressure off of T.Y. I personally like N'Keal Harry out of Arizona State.

GB 

I am not sure anyone said TY wasn't a real #1 WR.  IMO he isn't the guy that catches 8 to 9 balls a game no matter what is going on with coverage.  I feel that he gets lost in the shuffle at times.  Guys like  Michael Thomas, Julio Jones, A. B., Sshuster, Adams, and Hill seem to cause defenses fits all of the time.  Hilton seems to get eliminated in some games.  He was better this year than in the past, but he does have a history of this.  It is tough to argue against that.  I have seen it every year with him.  Not to mention he will always be a week to week guy with injuries.  That has followed him his entire career also.

Totally agree with you on Demarcus Lawrence.  I think he is a stud.  Would be a great add.  I do not know anything about Dee Ford.

Edited by Punttheball

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

I am not sure anyone said TY wasn't a real #1 WR.  IMO he isn't the guy that catches 8 to 9 balls a game no matter what is going on with coverage.  I feel that he gets lost in the shuffle at times.  Guys like  Michael Thomas, Julio Jones, A. B., Sshuster, Adams, and Hill seem to cause defenses fits all of the time.  Hilton seems to get eliminated in some games.  He was better this year than in the past, but he does have a history of this.  It is tough to argue against that.  I have seen it every year with him.  Not to mention he will always be a week to week guy with injuries.  That has followed him his entire career also.

Totally agree with you on Demarcus Lawrence.  I think he is a stud.  Would be a great add.  I do not know anything about Dee Ford.

I apologize, I took your "He is a great compliment..." as saying he is not a #1. I truly think the Colts lack of other weapons at WR are T.Y. does not routinely get 8 or 9 catches a game. Even with that he still averages nearly 1,200 yards and 16 YPC per season. T.Y. averaged 16.71 YPC this season and no other WR on the Colts other than Inman averaged more that 10 YPC. Granted the Colts do run a quick passing scheme but that is pretty telling to me that outside of T.Y. the Colts don't really have anyone.

As for those other guys, they have great groups around then. Julio Jones has Ridley and Sanu. AB had Smith-Schuster. Hill has Kelce and Sammy Watkins. Odell has Sterling Shepard. Adam's has had one 1,000 yard season in his career, but he has Cobb and Valdes- Scantling and used to have Jordy Nelson. Michael Thomas is unique and the beat WR in football IMO. 

Where we definetly agree is the Colts need help at WR. Chester Rogers and Zach Pascal does not scare anyone.

GB 

56 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Hopefully, Deon Cain (rookie out of Clemson) comes back strong after his injury.  Sounds like he was really turning heads during training camp.  I remember NFL analysts saying the Colts stole him in the 6th round.  Would love to see what he can do.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/26/indianapolis-colts-deon-cain-progress-acl-recovery/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000947046/article/colts-lose-promising-rookie-wr-deon-cain-to-torn-acl

"We know we've got something special in Deon Cain," Reich said. "He's a young guy who can develop into a great player. This is obviously something that will be a setback. But that's not uncommon. Good players have a way of overcoming those obstacles. And we're counting on Deon overcoming this one as well."

Cain hauled in one pass for four yards in his NFL debut before the injury occurred.  "Uber-talented prospect," scouting director Morocco Brown said of Cain after the draft. "It's not necessarily where you get picked, it's what you do when you get in here."

To that end, the former Clemson star had been a standout in training camp on top of an eye-catching performance in offseason practices.

When NFL Network's Stacey Dales visited Coltscamp earlier this month, Cain received praise from multiple team sources as a "massive steal" late in the draft. The Indianapolis Star recently wrote that Cain has been "flat-out hard to ignore."

I am very excited to see what he can do. Hopefully he comes back fully healthy and I expect that he will. I saw that he was jogging on a treadmill a couple of weeks ago.

GB 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GB4 said:

Colts sign RG Mark Glowinski to a 3 year/$18m deal. The entire starting line from last season is now all under contract.

GB 

Do we bring Slauson back?  Still feel we could use a solid back up for Kelly.  Has never made it through a season healthy.  Boehm(sp?) performed well.  I believe he is a restricted guy.

29 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Do we bring Slauson back?  Still feel we could use a solid back up for Kelly.  Has never made it through a season healthy.  Boehm(sp?) performed well.  I believe he is a restricted guy.

Even after he got injured he stayed on and helped coach and mentor guys. I don't know if he wants to keep playing or not but I am sure they would be willing to bring him backhin some capacity.

GB 

I know I am not the only Colts fan that has been saying since the early Manning days that we need to focus on the defensive side of the ball, and even given the way this defense overachieved, I still think that is your focus.  I think the discussion around TY and whether he is a #1 receiver seems silly to me because the Colts' focus this year was on multiple formations out of multiple personnel groups, especially with multiple tight ends, and TY is able to fit into just about any of those groups.  He is your #1 because first, he has the ability to play it multiple positions and second, because the focus of the offense is on tight ends.  Also, what happened to the perimeter screen game?  It seemed like that was a huge part of the offense in spots this year, but they kind of got away from it late in the year.  That was an area where TY thrived, maybe the ankle injury took away from this?

Back to the defense, there were two times this year where injuries made me nervous.  One was Ryan Kelley, but Evan Bohem stepped in nicely.  The other was when Leonard went down on literally the first or second play against the Dolphins.  Forget all the talk about the Pro Bowl snub, whether he is the DROY/DPOY, all of it; if he doesn't come back there the Colts are done.  The d-line is good for what they needed to do and that is keep Leonard clean, they deserve a lot of credit for those 190 or whatever tackles.  As much as I loved Dwight Freeney, and I mean loved, I don't want a player like that for this defense.  Freeney took himself out of the running game a lot, not because he didn't like contact or anything like that, just stylistically he was so fast up the field that a lot of times you didn't even need to block him.  For a pass rusher, I would love to see an outside linebacker type, a la a Dee Ford actually, someone who not only has the edge speed needed to give elite tackles issues, but also the awareness to understand when to use that speed and when to stay anchored to the LOS.  That or a big time "pocket pusher" in the middle, like one of the Clemson DTs (names escape me now), someone who can push the pocket and make QBs antsy with their feet, but also still draw doubles in the run game.  The DBs had a surprisingly good year, Hooker is solid when he is healthy, and Kenny Moore had a pretty great year as well.

On both sides of the ball Ballard's genius was that he gave Reich and Company players who could do multiple things well, that needs to be the focus.  I agree that Antonio Brown as a player would be nice, but this has never been an organization that puts up with a lot of off the field issues (call them distractions).  Not that I begrudge AB, or anyone for that matter, for being a big personality, but when it becomes detrimental to an organization, that is a problem.  Same kind of deal with a Le'veon Bell.  I'm sorry, but Trent Richardson is still fresh in my mind.  I know it is a different situation, with a different GM and much better, more proven back, but you are still talking about a big name running back in the modern NFL where running backs almost always come in pairs anyway.  With 9 picks, I would almost like to see them try to trade a couple of them to move up, I mean like top 10 or top 5, to take a guy that they really like.  Again, don't go crazy, I'm talking like 2, 3 picks max, to move up into that top area and only if you are going to get a guy you really feel can be a long term guy.  I love that the Colts have simply pieced things together, and it has worked, to an extent, for a while, but every now and then you've got to make a big move, not a desperate move, but a big move.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:14 AM, wabashalwaysfights said:

I know I am not the only Colts fan that has been saying since the early Manning days that we need to focus on the defensive side of the ball, and even given the way this defense overachieved, I still think that is your focus.  I think the discussion around TY and whether he is a #1 receiver seems silly to me because the Colts' focus this year was on multiple formations out of multiple personnel groups, especially with multiple tight ends, and TY is able to fit into just about any of those groups.  He is your #1 because first, he has the ability to play it multiple positions and second, because the focus of the offense is on tight ends.  Also, what happened to the perimeter screen game?  It seemed like that was a huge part of the offense in spots this year, but they kind of got away from it late in the year.  That was an area where TY thrived, maybe the ankle injury took away from this?

Back to the defense, there were two times this year where injuries made me nervous.  One was Ryan Kelley, but Evan Bohem stepped in nicely.  The other was when Leonard went down on literally the first or second play against the Dolphins.  Forget all the talk about the Pro Bowl snub, whether he is the DROY/DPOY, all of it; if he doesn't come back there the Colts are done.  The d-line is good for what they needed to do and that is keep Leonard clean, they deserve a lot of credit for those 190 or whatever tackles.  As much as I loved Dwight Freeney, and I mean loved, I don't want a player like that for this defense.  Freeney took himself out of the running game a lot, not because he didn't like contact or anything like that, just stylistically he was so fast up the field that a lot of times you didn't even need to block him.  For a pass rusher, I would love to see an outside linebacker type, a la a Dee Ford actually, someone who not only has the edge speed needed to give elite tackles issues, but also the awareness to understand when to use that speed and when to stay anchored to the LOS.  That or a big time "pocket pusher" in the middle, like one of the Clemson DTs (names escape me now), someone who can push the pocket and make QBs antsy with their feet, but also still draw doubles in the run game.  The DBs had a surprisingly good year, Hooker is solid when he is healthy, and Kenny Moore had a pretty great year as well.

On both sides of the ball Ballard's genius was that he gave Reich and Company players who could do multiple things well, that needs to be the focus.  I agree that Antonio Brown as a player would be nice, but this has never been an organization that puts up with a lot of off the field issues (call them distractions).  Not that I begrudge AB, or anyone for that matter, for being a big personality, but when it becomes detrimental to an organization, that is a problem.  Same kind of deal with a Le'veon Bell.  I'm sorry, but Trent Richardson is still fresh in my mind.  I know it is a different situation, with a different GM and much better, more proven back, but you are still talking about a big name running back in the modern NFL where running backs almost always come in pairs anyway.  With 9 picks, I would almost like to see them try to trade a couple of them to move up, I mean like top 10 or top 5, to take a guy that they really like.  Again, don't go crazy, I'm talking like 2, 3 picks max, to move up into that top area and only if you are going to get a guy you really feel can be a long term guy.  I love that the Colts have simply pieced things together, and it has worked, to an extent, for a while, but every now and then you've got to make a big move, not a desperate move, but a big move.

I don't think anyone is arguing that TY was the Colts #1 receiver this season.  I strongly feel he is a guy that needs a player like AB to allow him to reach his full potential.  He has big play potential, but would be deadly if he was opposite a big time receiver type or motioned into a match up situation.  This is need for the Colts to be able to beat the top tier teams in the NFL.  

I want us to improve the defense also.  But I believe we have the cap space to sign back what we want and bring in a top CB/DE/WR. You may need to decide between a DE and CB.  

I just don't want us to sit back and stay the course.  I am all in on Ballard and his drafting success, but even he said they were lucky this year.  I think even he knows it is the right time to pull the trigger on a deal if it works for the team and locker room.