Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2019

Punttheball

Well, the old "Run the Damn Ball"  motto of the Colts front line was taken to heart against Jacksonville Sunday and it paid huge dividends.  I hope this continues because Brissett does not yet have the smarts to throw downfield consistently.  Let the defense and the running game control Houston.  Then we control the AL South.

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Well, the old "Run the Damn Ball"  motto of the Colts front line was taken to heart against Jacksonville Sunday and it paid huge dividends.  I hope this continues because Brissett does not yet have the smarts to throw downfield consistently.  Let the defense and the running game control Houston.  Then we control the AL South.

It still took a while for Coach FR to move in that direction.  I am not sure smarts is the best way to describe Brissett's inability to move the ball down the field consistently.  I don't think he sees windows of opportunity well.  I also feel like he does a poor job of stepping up in the pocket.  Many times he tries to escape the rush by running around it.  He then must get rid of the ball.  When he does step up, good things happen.  I hope Mack can play with the hand injury.  My guess is he will not.  It has taken Funchess way to long to come back from the broken collarbone.

5 hours ago, Punttheball said:

It still took a while for Coach FR to move in that direction.  I am not sure smarts is the best way to describe Brissett's inability to move the ball down the field consistently.  I don't think he sees windows of opportunity well.  I also feel like he does a poor job of stepping up in the pocket.  Many times he tries to escape the rush by running around it.  He then must get rid of the ball.  When he does step up, good things happen.  I hope Mack can play with the hand injury.  My guess is he will not.  It has taken Funchess way to long to come back from the broken collarbone.

Yeah, I didn’t mean “smarts” as in mental ability. I meant he’s not seeing the field and what is opening up. He’s every bit as accurate as Luck, but just needs more game experience. 

Mack had surgery today to repair his hand.  They said he would have a splint on it later.  He won't play against Houston so it will be up to Williams and Hines to carry the load.  Don't know if Wilkins will play or not.  This would be a REALLY good week to get TY back on the field.  If Williams has a repeat performance like Sunday, I'll feel a lot better about the running game.  I would imagine Houston is pretty mad after being embarrassed by the Ravens.  They also will want revenge for losing twice to the Colts last year at their place.  No Watt and no Clowney says the Colts should have their way in the passing game.  After seeing what the Ravens did to the Texans' run defense, I'd say the Colts have a really, really good chance to win this one, even on a short week.  And please Lord, no more injuries!

19 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Funchess came back to practice last week....will he be back Thursday?

I was listening to talk radio this morning.  Not sure who does the odds for making playoffs...but they were saying both team have around a 55% chance of making playoffs right now.  After this game, the winner Thursday increases their odds to 85% and the loser down to 35%.  Not sure how these odds are calculated or accurate.  This may simply be done to build up the impact of a Thursday night game...not sure.

Saw an injury list this morning.   Didn't see Funchess' name on it.  So maybe he'll suit up this week.  That would be a boost.  There were 13 total players on the list:  Allie-Cox, Mack, Castonzo, Odum, Ebron, Taylor, Geathers, Wilkins, Hilton, Willis, Campbell, Desir and Ya-Sin.   That is a lot of starters and backups that are missing walk thru practice.  They decided to just have walk thru's this week since it is a short week.  Some of these guys must be in bad shape if they can't even do a walk thru practice.  Mack has a broken hand so I get that he won't practice regardless.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:38 PM, itiswhatitis said:

Saw an injury list this morning.   Didn't see Funchess' name on it.  So maybe he'll suit up this week.  That would be a boost.  There were 13 total players on the list:  Allie-Cox, Mack, Castonzo, Odum, Ebron, Taylor, Geathers, Wilkins, Hilton, Willis, Campbell, Desir and Ya-Sin.   That is a lot of starters and backups that are missing walk thru practice.  They decided to just have walk thru's this week since it is a short week.  Some of these guys must be in bad shape if they can't even do a walk thru practice.  Mack has a broken hand so I get that he won't practice regardless.

T Y is playing.

Houston, while perhaps more talented, has to prove they can beat the Colts. If TY is playing I have no reason to believe that happens tonight. The Colts took a big step forward to get back on track last week; Houston got exposed.
I’ll take the Colts by 6-7 points in a game that isn’t as close as the score says. 

13 hours ago, Staxawax said:

T Y is playing.

Also heard that Desir will be back as well.  He is the best cover guy in our secondary.  I would expect he'll cover Hopkins for most of the game.  I'm not too concerned about the running game since they still have Williams and Hines.  Maybe Williams will be one of those guys you see get promoted from the practice squad and tear it up when their number is called.  He played lights out last week.  I read an article on MSN that some "expert" wrote about tonight's game.  They proceeded to go on and on about how Houston will be at home and how Watson is an MVP candidate.  Apparently they didn't catch last week's game with Baltimore.  They predicted 28 - 17, Houston.  That person is putting too much of that white powder up their nose.  They need to pay more attention to what is happening in the real world.  Besides, the Colts won both games in Houston last year.  So to predict a double digit win is not too bright.  It's a divisional game so we'll be back to the one score or less thing.  If TY plays, he and Brissett will light up that banged up secondary that Houston has.  The Colts defense just needs to  contain Watson.  It's okay if he throws the ball, just don't let him scramble and get those long gains.  He likes hanging onto the ball more than Brissett does, so I would expect a sack party tonight by the Colts D line.

Well that didn't go according to plan.  The difference in the game was, Houston could throw deep and the Colts could only throw it about 5 yards down field.  Nice to see we rushed for a good total, but need that passing game to compliment it.  Bad loss.  But, the Colts will be back in first place next week.  Houston will lose to New England (doesn't everybody?) and the Colts will beat the Titans in Indy.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Well that didn't go according to plan.  The difference in the game was, Houston could throw deep and the Colts could only throw it about 5 yards down field.  Nice to see we rushed for a good total, but need that passing game to compliment it.  Bad loss.  But, the Colts will be back in first place next week.  Houston will lose to New England (doesn't everybody?) and the Colts will beat the Titans in Indy.

After an 11 play drive(10 run and 1 pass) that resulted in a TD, FR comes back on the next drive with three straight pass plays.  The result set the tone for the rest of the game.  The Houston defense got a little energy back, and we could not get it going again.  If we were going to go for it on 4th and 7 later, why not run the ball on 3rd and 7.  This game proved once again that TY is not a NO. 1 receiver in this league.  No receiver for the Colts can get separation and Brissett cannot seem to fit the ball into tight windows. I still put this on Ballard.  We went out and did nothing in the FA market to help TY.  Funchess was going to be a stretch, and we see how that has turned out.  Is he going to return?  A ten week recover is now going on 12 or 13 weeks.  Now that Mack is hurt we do not have any explosiveness at the RB position.  Good thing is we have tons of cap space left so we can resign all of our middle of the road talent back.  Now to the defense.  Played pretty well against the run and pass for the most part.  Gave up to many deep passes.  Not sure what help we are giving to the corners in man coverage if any.  Hooker just looks lost in the passing game and Geathers is not any better.  I really feel that we are just a good safety and great pass rusher away on defense.  I am really not sure how you fill all of these holes through the draft.  We will need a kicker, pass rusher, safety, right tackle, right guard, 2 receivers, and a backup QB.  Some might suggest a starting QB.  We will need to address LT soon as Castanzo is no spring chicken.  Maybe everyone was to quick to give Ballard all the praise for building through the draft.  Cain is gone. Campbell is looking like a bust.  Hooker can't play.  Smith is outmatched every week at the right tackle position.  He has required chips from a TE or RB in pass pro in order to give Brissett time to scan the field and then run or throw it away.  I am pissed about last night.  This season could be and should be much better.  We have given away too many games.  We are going to win just enough to miss a good draft position and not enough to make the playoffs.  Good Grief!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see the Colts embarrassed in front of a national audience last night.   It appears most of the team has thrown in the towel:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/12/17/colts-vs-saints-indianapolis-falls-apart-and-out-2019-nfl-playoffs/2633814001/

Once again Mr. Doyel is spot on with his commentary:

The loss officially knocked the Indianapolis Colts out of the 2019 NFL playoffs, a sentence so unnecessary, so needlessly preposterous, I’m hearing 2001 Colts coach Jim Mora shout – “Playoffs? You kidding me?” – and wondering why the 2020 season will be any different.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-lineman-quenton-nelson-confronts-buccaneers-punter-after-being-hit-with-practice-kick/

Gotta love Quenton Nelson

Apparently the Bucs punter was kicking balls into the Indy pregame practice area, and Nelson took offense.  Check it out.  

He reminds me of the Martin boys from Chatard.

Edited by DT

On 12/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Still trying to figure out how this team was not playoff team 

Welcome to the off season to join my Bears.   

No consistently good offensive line play to me was a major factor.   You can't win if you can't score.  Also Trubisky took a step backward in his development as a QB this season.

Also losing Hicks and Trevathan for a significant portion of the season didn't help their defense any.   

38 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

No consistently good offensive line play to me was a major factor.   You can't win if you can't score.  Also Trubisky took a step backward in his development as a QB this season.

Also losing Hicks and Trevathan for a significant portion of the season didn't help their defense any.   

I do not blame Trubisky, honestly, I do not believe he was coached very well most of the year.    He thrives with moving the pocket, under center with some boot action, sprint outs.   I know the shoulder injury set him back and maybe got Nagy shy on those type of schemes, but he still showed flashes of why he can be a very good NFL QB if schemed well and coached well. 

I would take him over Brissett 

32 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I do not blame Trubisky, honestly, I do not believe he was coached very well most of the year.    He thrives with moving the pocket, under center with some boot action, sprint outs.   I know the shoulder injury set him back and maybe got Nagy shy on those type of schemes, but he still showed flashes of why he can be a very good NFL QB if schemed well and coached well. 

Good points.  The play calling by Nagy almost all season was very strange.  

The team also missed Jordan Howard.  IMHO Montgomery is not a quality replacement.

Edited by Muda69

On 12/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Still trying to figure out how this team was not playoff team 

Welcome to the off season to join my Bears.   

It seems like the two stories that just will not die and have plagued both franchises for decades are:

”When the Colts finally have a defense...”

”When the Bears finally get a quarterback...”