Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2019

Punttheball

The hiring of Mudd is phenomenal!  A proven guy who has done it here once.  Mock draft article from Colts.com found here.   Compilation of several "experts," several of whom go with Lawrence or Wilkins, the two Clemson DTs I blanked on earlier.  A majority seem to go with defense, but credit to you punttheball, there are a few WRs in there too...

Does anyone know which of the AAF teams have rights to the Colts practice squad players by chance?  I am a little wary yet of suggesting that NFL team seriously consider using the AAF as a talent pool just yet, especially on the defensive side of the ball, but would still like to know moving forward.

Edited by wabashalwaysfights

2 hours ago, wabashalwaysfights said:

The hiring of Mudd is phenomenal!  A proven guy who has done it here once.  Mock draft article from Colts.com found here.   Compilation of several "experts," several of whom go with Lawrence or Wilkins, the two Clemson DTs I blanked on earlier.  A majority seem to go with defense, but credit to you punttheball, there are a few WRs in there too...

Does anyone know which of the AAF teams have rights to the Colts practice squad players by chance?  I am a little wary yet of suggesting that NFL team seriously consider using the AAF as a talent pool just yet, especially on the defensive side of the ball, but would still like to know moving forward.

I don't believe there is a direct link yet.

GB 

35 minutes ago, GB4 said:

I don't believe there is a direct link yet.

GB 

I had hyperlinked it.  I've tried several times, but it keeps getting flagged as spam so I'll attach it here as a PDF if it will let me. The ads stretch the PDF out to be around 15 pages, but I promise the reading is not that much.

Indianapolis Colts 2019 Mock Draft Monday_ Feb. 11.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, GB4 said:

Colts sign WR Devin Funchess to a one year deal.

GB 

I am indifferent about this deal.  I think that they are using Devin as a buffer for Cain to come along.  It is a one year deal, so it is off the books fast.  I like the big body.  Maybe Frank and the boys can get this guy up to 70+ receptions and 10-15 TD receptions this year.

I am really shocked by some of the deals that are going down right now.  CJ Mosely just received 85 million over 5 years with 51 of that guaranteed.  If the Jets were one or two players away I would say bravo.  But they aren't close in my opinion.  The Redskins are spending money like they are in the hunt.  Landon Collins is a good player, but I cannot see the money he received either.  This market is crazy right now.

I want the Colts to get CJ Mosely caliber guys in, but this type of movement will destroy a team long term.  

I'm good with Ballard and his decisions thus far, would I like to see a couple big splash guys, sure, but he proved last year that he knows what he's doing.

On the other side of the coin, the Redskins, Jets, Jags, and others have routinely "won the off season" and look how much success those teams have had.

All the teams making these big contract signings missed the playoffs. I absolutely trust Ballard to get the right guy. I know a lot of fans are upset at the lack of moves, but Ballard has preached patience the last two years. It should not be a shock.

GB

• 1 month later...

Man, it's taken me forever to get back on here.  Since I'm months behind, I'll just pick up post draft.  The Colts did pretty well again this year.  I really was hoping the Colts would draft Butler out of Iowa State.  After they passed on him and took Paris Campbell, I sat and thought about it.  Campbell is the perfect type of WR to fit in Reich's offense.  He is going to blow people's minds the first time he catches an underneath route and takes it to the house.  Now Luck has his "Marvin and Reggie" to throw to.  Great selection Colts!  I also liked the Rock Ya-Sin pick.  Great fit for the secondary as is Willis at safety from Michigan State.  With the guys they have resigned and coming back, the secondary looks totally solid.  I'm going to mention an FA signing here.  Getting Houston from KC was fantastic.  Putting him at DE and no more pass coverage will allow him to get after it.  I expect to see him back to double digit sacks this season.  I was a bit disappointed the Colts didn't draft any Defensive Tackles.  I thought They would grab at least one in the first couple of picks.  Even though Autry had 9 sacks, I still feel the middle of the D line is a bit "soft".  Then again, I'm not Ballard, so there's that.  Was also hoping for another linebacker.  Was totally surprised they took three of them!  Grabbing two offensive linemen at the end, was kind of "icing on the cake" so to speak.  Depth is ALWAYS a good thing.  So an early prediction:  With what we have coming back and what we signed in FA plus the new "recruits", I'd say the Colts will win the South and will be one of the early favorites to be in the AFC title game.  It's a good time to be a Colts fan!

14 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Man, it's taken me forever to get back on here.  Since I'm months behind, I'll just pick up post draft.  The Colts did pretty well again this year.  I really was hoping the Colts would draft Butler out of Iowa State.  After they passed on him and took Paris Campbell, I sat and thought about it.  Campbell is the perfect type of WR to fit in Reich's offense.  He is going to blow people's minds the first time he catches an underneath route and takes it to the house.  Now Luck has his "Marvin and Reggie" to throw to.  Great selection Colts!  I also liked the Rock Ya-Sin pick.  Great fit for the secondary as is Willis at safety from Michigan State.  With the guys they have resigned and coming back, the secondary looks totally solid.  I'm going to mention an FA signing here.  Getting Houston from KC was fantastic.  Putting him at DE and no more pass coverage will allow him to get after it.  I expect to see him back to double digit sacks this season.  I was a bit disappointed the Colts didn't draft any Defensive Tackles.  I thought They would grab at least one in the first couple of picks.  Even though Autry had 9 sacks, I still feel the middle of the D line is a bit "soft".  Then again, I'm not Ballard, so there's that.  Was also hoping for another linebacker.  Was totally surprised they took three of them!  Grabbing two offensive linemen at the end, was kind of "icing on the cake" so to speak.  Depth is ALWAYS a good thing.  So an early prediction:  With what we have coming back and what we signed in FA plus the new "recruits", I'd say the Colts will win the South and will be one of the early favorites to be in the AFC title game.  It's a good time to be a Colts fan!

I thought the same thing about Campbell. My initial thought was disappointment but then as I thought about it, Campbell could be a great fit for what Reich wants to do. And people keep forgetting about Cain, as that kid could be very dangerous too coming off his knee injury. I like Ya-Sin, and I'm sure Willis will grow on me. I think the DT position is either stronger than we as fans know, or Ballard has a FA in mind that he just hasn't signed yet. And you'll see Houston in coverages. The beautiful thing about any 4 man defensive front is the amount of stunts you can do, and I don't think the Colts will hesitate to send a Mike in on a outer gap and let Houston take care of the center of the field. Then again, maybe they'll get feeling froggy and use a Zone Blitz now and then, and Houston would be the perfect guy to drop out into coverage.

I agree with what most are saying on here about our draft.  I was also high on Butler out of Iowa State but see Campbell as a guy like Hill for KC.  Still not real excited about the Ben Banogu pick.  Mainly because I had not even heard of him before.  I am not sure that we couldn't have traded out again and still gotten him.  There may not have been a trade partner.  Maybe another Darius Leonard situation.

52 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I agree with what most are saying on here about our draft.  I was also high on Butler out of Iowa State but see Campbell as a guy like Hill for KC.  Still not real excited about the Ben Banogu pick.  Mainly because I had not even heard of him before.  I am not sure that we couldn't have traded out again and still gotten him.  There may not have been a trade partner.  Maybe another Darius Leonard situation.

I'm hoping any of the 3 linebackers selected could turn into a Darius Leonard situation.  The kid from Stanford and the kid from Tarleton State also have the potential to really be something as well...

1 hour ago, GB4 said:

I will just just say this about Butler out of Iowa State, he can't catch! Lol

GB 

But when he did, man could he break tackles and a get a ton of YAC.  I just looked at him as you cant teach/coach 6'5".  But as I said earlier, I am really onboard with the Campbell selection.  I don't care if he ever goes deep much. he is off the charts when catching an underneath route  or a slant and breaking it big.  That's Reich's offense:  get the ball out quick to speedy guys and let them do their magic.  TY, Campbell, Hines and hell even Ebron are going to be a nightmare to try to cover.  It appears the Colts will have one of the fastest group of receivers in the league.  This is gonna be so much fun to watch.  And I haven't even mentioned Cain and Doyle coming back.  Looks like Luck is heading for another career season in stats.

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

But when he did, man could he break tackles and a get a ton of YAC.  I just looked at him as you cant teach/coach 6'5".  But as I said earlier, I am really onboard with the Campbell selection.  I don't care if he ever goes deep much. he is off the charts when catching an underneath route  or a slant and breaking it big.  That's Reich's offense:  get the ball out quick to speedy guys and let them do their magic.  TY, Campbell, Hines and hell even Ebron are going to be a nightmare to try to cover.  It appears the Colts will have one of the fastest group of receivers in the league.  This is gonna be so much fun to watch.  And I haven't even mentioned Cain and Doyle coming back.  Looks like Luck is heading for another career season in stats.

Right, my only issue was that I kept seeing him going in Round 2 and some even had him in Round 1. He has a lot of potential, but he had 19 drops the last two seasons and only had a catch % of 57.3%. I always thought he would be a day 3 pick. Now he gets to learn from the great Larry Fitzgerald, which is awesome for him. As for Campbell, that is a Reich pick all the way. I am really excited to see what he can do in this offense. That Parris, Hilton combo could be deadly.

GB 

11 hours ago, GB4 said:

Right, my only issue was that I kept seeing him going in Round 2 and some even had him in Round 1. He has a lot of potential, but he had 19 drops the last two seasons and only had a catch % of 57.3%. I always thought he would be a day 3 pick. Now he gets to learn from the great Larry Fitzgerald, which is awesome for him. As for Campbell, that is a Reich pick all the way. I am really excited to see what he can do in this offense. That Parris, Hilton combo could be deadly.

GB 

Funchess has a rep of dropping balls too and so did Ebron.  Just saying that may be something that can get fixed with Butler.  Anyway, I agree that Hilton and Campbell could become a deadly duo, no make that WILL become a deadly duo.  Both of them are very fast.  Hines is also very fast.  You know what they say, "Speed kills" and this offense is going to "kill" a lot of defenses this year.

THE COLTS SIGN FREE AGENT RUNNING BACK SPENCER WARE FROM THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!  They've got their big back now.  He is on a one year deal signed at 1.3 million with another 2.5 million in incentives.  Another great signing and another great contract by Ballard.  Even if he only gets 500 yards rushing and 5 or 6 TD's, it is worth the contract.  I've been told (by KC fans) he's a great blocker and is good in the passing game as a receiver out of the backfield.  He was the featured back just a few years ago until an injury side lined him and KC got Hunt and Williams.  A couple of the KC fans I spoke with said they are pissed that KC let him go.

I read an article on CBS sports that showed a list of teams that made the most sense for signing free agent defensive lineman, Suh.  The Colts were #1 on the list but the list was by who had the most cap space.  With the recent signing of Spencer Ware, I wouldn't be shocked if Ballard signed someone like Suh.  Yeah he's older but I don't think the Colts would use him as an every down player.  Besides, he does a lot of his damage these days in the playoffs.  It seems to me his "dirty playing" is behind him and he might be a possibility for the Colts to pursue.

Read an article on another website that said the Colts rookie mini camp this past weekend was quite successful.  I guess Rock Ya-Sin got an INT that had the sidelines going crazy.  Also Paris Campbell was impressing everyone in the camp.  They tried to go deep to him but had to overthrow him because Sin was in his pocket!  But he was catching everything that he was targeted on even one throw that was behind him.  I predicted after the draft these 2 guys would be starters as rookies.  I know it's just one camp, but things look VERY promising.

• 2 months later...

Well we are into the second day of summer camp!  Only a few more weeks and preseason starts.  So far I've not heard any reports of any injuries (keeping fingers crossed).  I saw one reporter claim that Colts fans will love Funchess in bunches.  LOL  At least he's impressed one person so far.  Read an article that said Ballard is watching three position battles this year.  They are (surprisingly) the O line, (and not surprisingly) the D line and the WR group.  Ballard still has his "man crush" on Cain.  He says Cain has improved and matured a lot in the past year during rehab.  Hope Cain can stay healthy as well as the rest of the team.  Lots of high expectations for this year's group.  Let's hope they can meet (or exceed) those expectations.  They are primed to do some really great things with the new additions in the draft and free agency.  I know on the NFL show they gave a lot of praise to Ballard and the Colts.  I saw an early power poll from Touchdown Wire.  They have the Colts at #5 heading into camp.  Polls don't mean much, but it's nice to see someone in the media giving the Colts some "early love".  The Colts are also early favorites to win the AFC South.  Should be a VERY interesting year.  Several tough road games on the schedule like starting week one in San Diego.  I'm hoping Gordon is still a holdout or has been traded.  If have no running game, the Colts could easily win that one.  Would be a great start to the season.  They also have week 5 in KC.  Thinking of getting tickets to that one.

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

What are your expectations for parris Campbell?  I picked him up in a few rookie drafts thinking that he would be an immediate starter with TY and either Cain/funchess

I expected (and still do) that Campbell will be a starter.  If he isn't, I still expect him to play a prominent role in the offense.  Ballard and Reich both have huge man crushes on him.  Today at camp he had a great day.  For all of the doubters who said he can't run a route tree, they should be watching clips of him at camp.  Dude is going to quickly become a fan favorite.  You were wise to pick him up.  Another dude having a good camp (so far) is Funchess.  I hear he's having a blast and playing great.  Funny what a change of scenery can do for a guy's career.  Just ask Ebron.  I also hear that Autry is a one man wrecking crew on the D line in camp.  With Houston getting pressure on the outside and Autry on the inside, we may finally have a great D line this year.  Lots of high expectations out of Indy this season.  I believe the first 5 games are going to say a lot about how good they are having to play the Chargers in week one and the Chiefs in week 5.

• Like 1