Jump to content

ACAC 2020 Title To Be Decided This Friday


Recommended Posts

I know the local news stations in Ft Wayne will have this as their game of the week. Being a proud Flying Jets fan/alum, I have a feeling the Starfires get a repeat of last year's regular season game. Maybe not as wide of margin as last time, but South Adams will be out for blood. I think South Adams offense will be too much for the Adams Central defense to handle in the end. I'd like to see AC's defense hold South Adams like Monroe Central did in the first half last week. I do think AC will be more potent on offense this year compared to last year's regular season match up. It does appear that South Adams has some trouble defending the run from time to time in the moments I've watched on the webcast. Everyone knows the Jets love to just ground and pound the ball. It also appears that Adams Central will struggle some to defend the pass like the Eastside game. The Jets also struggle to stop the run on one side of the defense as they haven't found a solid replacement for DE from last year's graduating class. They have a few young guys getting acclimated to the varsity level on that side. I could be wrong and another repeat of last year's regional game could occur, but I don't think so this time. I do hope that we can get another regional rematch in 2020 as that could be a tight one like 2019 was. However, we shall see what happens in Berne on Friday night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Struggling to defend the pass is not a recipe for success vs SA.  Going with same score as Reg season last yr 14-42 stars

After the regional game last year, that turned out to be the biggest set up of all time. They gave SA a 10 to 15 yd cushion to pick them apart in the regular season and put up that score. I don't think they'll play that soft this time, but I don't think they will stop SA's pass offense either. I could see 35-21 Starfires or even 28-14 Starfires depending on special teams play as well. If SA has their way though, they'll try putting 70+ on the board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

After the regional game last year, that turned out to be the biggest set up of all time. They gave SA a 10 to 15 yd cushion to pick them apart in the regular season and put up that score. I don't think they'll play that soft this time, but I don't think they will stop SA's pass offense either. I could see 35-21 Starfires or even 28-14 Starfires depending on special teams play as well. If SA has their way though, they'll try putting 70+ on the board.

AC made great adjustments in regional to defend the pass, but it definitely hurt SA not having Drew Stutzman. And Currie can only guard one of Stutzman/Wanner, which made such a big deal in regional. Losing Voirol also hurts, because it was way tougher trying to stop both him and Collier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thor77 said:

AC made great adjustments in regional to defend the pass, but it definitely hurt SA not having Drew Stutzman. And Currie can only guard one of Stutzman/Wanner, which made such a big deal in regional. Losing Voirol also hurts, because it was way tougher trying to stop both him and Collier. 

Yes, I thought losing Stutzman was the biggest reason. Like you said, instead of two vertical threats it was one, thus allowing more attention to Miller. Although, I think Cook's speed could help this year. The biggest impact will be the AC defensive end position as no one has matched Voirol's output. Collier has shut down his side of the line, but the youth hasn't on the other. This is the make it or break it year for South Adams in my opinion. AC has some good juniors and freshmen, but I'm curious to see when this years freshmen class becomes juniors & seniors. They have some talent and had been 2 deep for most positions if they all stick with it. They will have a few 8th graders with talent and another talented 7th grade class joining them. I would rate the freshmen as the better class of the 3, but the 7th grade isn't far behind when comparing each at each stage. The 8th graders may not be as talented as the grades around them, but they bring that grit and determination factor that is needed. Though in a few years after those grades, I'm going to have to briefly support the Starfires for a bit due to family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Yes, I thought losing Stutzman was the biggest reason. Like you said, instead of two vertical threats it was one, thus allowing more attention to Miller. Although, I think Cook's speed could help this year. The biggest impact will be the AC defensive end position as no one has matched Voirol's output. Collier has shut down his side of the line, but the youth hasn't on the other. This is the make it or break it year for South Adams in my opinion. AC has some good juniors and freshmen, but I'm curious to see when this years freshmen class becomes juniors & seniors. They have some talent and had been 2 deep for most positions if they all stick with it. They will have a few 8th graders with talent and another talented 7th grade class joining them. I would rate the freshmen as the better class of the 3, but the 7th grade isn't far behind when comparing each at each stage. The 8th graders may not be as talented as the grades around them, but they bring that grit and determination factor that is needed. Though in a few years after those grades, I'm going to have to briefly support the Starfires for a bit due to family.

 

4 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Yes, I thought losing Stutzman was the biggest reason. Like you said, instead of two vertical threats it was one, thus allowing more attention to Miller. Although, I think Cook's speed could help this year. The biggest impact will be the AC defensive end position as no one has matched Voirol's output. Collier has shut down his side of the line, but the youth hasn't on the other. This is the make it or break it year for South Adams in my opinion. AC has some good juniors and freshmen, but I'm curious to see when this years freshmen class becomes juniors & seniors. They have some talent and had been 2 deep for most positions if they all stick with it. They will have a few 8th graders with talent and another talented 7th grade class joining them. I would rate the freshmen as the better class of the 3, but the 7th grade isn't far behind when comparing each at each stage. The 8th graders may not be as talented as the grades around them, but they bring that grit and determination factor that is needed. Though in a few years after those grades, I'm going to have to briefly support the Starfires for a bit due to family.

AC grad supporting the stars?  BLASPHEMY!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Purdue Pete said:

 

AC grad supporting the stars?  BLASPHEMY!!!!

Blood is thicker than water. It won't feel right, but I have to do it until my son is playing for the Jets (if he does). My step son will have to play across the line due to his parents' shared custody agreement before I met my wife. Will be hard to support his Crestview Knights, and will be just as hard to support my other cousin's kids being Parkway Panthers. We have the state line covered as both of the cousin's I mentioned are Bellmont grads. I grew up on the state line with my mail box being in Crestview district but the house in AC district. Less than 3 miles north is the Bellmont/AC border, 1.5 miles south is the Crestview/Parkway border, and 8.25 miles is the AC/SA border.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be fun.  As a Bellmont dad, I wish we could compete better with our “little brothers” who have both bested us the last four years.  I do think Coach Hall has us on the right track.  I think this game comes down to the wire with the Stars winning with a little more creativity from the coaching staff.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NE8Fan said:

Should be fun.  As a Bellmont dad, I wish we could compete better with our “little brothers” who have both bested us the last four years.  I do think Coach Hall has us on the right track.  I think this game comes down to the wire with the Stars winning with a little more creativity from the coaching staff.   

From the one game I've saw, I think Coach Hall is on the right track. They hung tough with Norwell for the 1st half until the conditioning kicked in. I was really impressed by that effort compared to the last few years. I hope our youth league will start turning out more studs for Bellmont like we have for AC. It'd be nice to have all 3 schools in different classes like it was for awhile. Could you imagine if that were the case and all 3 made it to LOS the same year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

From the one game I've saw, I think Coach Hall is on the right track. They hung tough with Norwell for the 1st half until the conditioning kicked in. I was really impressed by that effort compared to the last few years. I hope our youth league will start turning out more studs for Bellmont like we have for AC. It'd be nice to have all 3 schools in different classes like it was for awhile. Could you imagine if that were the case and all 3 made it to LOS the same year?

He has been great.  Was incredible as a player.  Young guy similar to Mosier when he started at SA.  He will get guys out which is the hardest part.  I like listening to him on Saturday morning radio.  We have so much untapped talent at Bellmont and I think he will get them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NE8Fan said:

He has been great.  Was incredible as a player.  Young guy similar to Mosier when he started at SA.  He will get guys out which is the hardest part.  I like listening to him on Saturday morning radio.  We have so much untapped talent at Bellmont and I think he will get them out.

Was he able to get Trent, Billy, and Joel to name a few, to come back and help?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NE8Fan said:

He has been great.  Was incredible as a player.  Young guy similar to Mosier when he started at SA.  He will get guys out which is the hardest part.  I like listening to him on Saturday morning radio.  We have so much untapped talent at Bellmont and I think he will get them out.

Seems to be a solid hire.  Starts with MS imo.  Have to get those kids playing.  Heard they’re playing 8 man due to numbers.  Not a good sign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Seems to be a solid hire.  Starts with MS imo.  Have to get those kids playing.  Heard they’re playing 8 man due to numbers.  Not a good sign.

Wonder how much of the MS numbers are because he moved from their and varsity assistant to varsity head coach? For the youth league, it appears the numbers have improved each year for Bellmont. The first year or two was pulling teeth to get enough teams (2 for Bellmont) for our league on their side, while little AC had probably 95% of the boys in each grade coming out. Also noticed more parents willing to help out as well from Bellmont in the latter few years. It's going to take awhile, but I think he will bring a change of culture that was much needed. Not to stray too far off topic, but the family dynamics for students and athletes at Bellmont is vastly different than AC & SA. I also believe open enrollment has hurt the Braves as well, as some of the stable families from the district have chosen to go elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, Basementbias said:

Here is to a clean, injury free, and competitive game!

Nice win by SA.   Back to back conf champs.   I bet they will be ranked first in the state now with Lutheran losing.  I did hear Curry (sp) went down early.  That could be a factor in the regional. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NE8Fan said:

Nice win by SA.   Back to back conf champs.   I bet they will be ranked first in the state now with Lutheran losing.  I did hear Curry (sp) went down early.  That could be a factor in the regional. 

Not sure if he's out for the year or what the status is. The game turned once he went down. AC had started to run and control the game. Once he went out the offense stalled and basically was just giving the ball to Heyerly. It went very conservatively as if the Jets shut it down completely to fight another day. I do think SA would win a rematch this time if it occurs due to the weapons they have. However, they probably will be ranked #1, but neither SA or AC played well enough to be a top 3 team this past Friday. Some would say officiating, but SA had way too many penalties and undisciplined football. AC just doesn't have a strong enough defense with all the youth in key spots. The offense still is one dimensional against tough opponents. I'm also concerned with SA's run defense. It was much better in the 2nd half, but then again the Jets went ultra vanilla without Currie then. Monroe Central had a lot of success the week before as well. They(SA) also had some offensive line issues in the first half (due to injury I believe). Lutheran lost in 20T to a 4A school as well that looked to be stronger than any ACAC team. I still put Lutheran as the team to beat after watching AC & SA all season. Don't get me wrong, I want an Adams County school to win it all, but they aren't playing to that level yet. I'm curious as to how well LCC will be. They seem to have COVID issues going on there. If they return a lot from last year, then I think they would be the 1A North favorite until SA gets their issues fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Not sure if he's out for the year or what the status is. The game turned once he went down. AC had started to run and control the game. Once he went out the offense stalled and basically was just giving the ball to Heyerly. It went very conservatively as if the Jets shut it down completely to fight another day. I do think SA would win a rematch this time if it occurs due to the weapons they have. However, they probably will be ranked #1, but neither SA or AC played well enough to be a top 3 team this past Friday. Some would say officiating, but SA had way too many penalties and undisciplined football. AC just doesn't have a strong enough defense with all the youth in key spots. The offense still is one dimensional against tough opponents. I'm also concerned with SA's run defense. It was much better in the 2nd half, but then again the Jets went ultra vanilla without Currie then. Monroe Central had a lot of success the week before as well. They(SA) also had some offensive line issues in the first half (due to injury I believe). Lutheran lost in 20T to a 4A school as well that looked to be stronger than any ACAC team. I still put Lutheran as the team to beat after watching AC & SA all season. Don't get me wrong, I want an Adams County school to win it all, but they aren't playing to that level yet. I'm curious as to how well LCC will be. They seem to have COVID issues going on there. If they return a lot from last year, then I think they would be the 1A North favorite until SA gets their issues fixed.

If you rewatch the game and focus on all those penalties, SA probably actually committed less than half of them. Some plays I had to watch every player in the game to see if they moved, and I couldn’t come up with anything justifiable. They called a false start before anyone was even set, and called illegal man down field when the pass was caught behind the los. Those refs were conspiracy level bad, especially when I can point out 2 or 3 plays where AC jumped bad and nothing was called. SA definitely does have a penalty issue, but not to the level of Friday. Possibly the worst reffed game I’ve ever seen. 
 

I would imagine Currie will be back this season, but I don’t know if he can get to full strength. I heard high ankle sprain, which even if playing will slow him down for a while. Would’ve been interesting to see the result with him healthy, but you gotta play with what you got. Which for SA was two former running backs on the line and a center that just started snapping on Tuesday. 
 

And 100% LCC will not be playing long in the tournament due to Covid issues. I don’t know if it spread hard, or the school tests the kids frequently, but I’m pretty sure they’re the only school so far with multiple Covid breaks. I’d be shocked if this didn’t rear its head in the postseason on them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

If you rewatch the game and focus on all those penalties, SA probably actually committed less than half of them. Some plays I had to watch every player in the game to see if they moved, and I couldn’t come up with anything justifiable. They called a false start before anyone was even set, and called illegal man down field when the pass was caught behind the los. Those refs were conspiracy level bad, especially when I can point out 2 or 3 plays where AC jumped bad and nothing was called. SA definitely does have a penalty issue, but not to the level of Friday. Possibly the worst reffed game I’ve ever seen. 
 

😢☹️😫😩😭
 

I don’t know why they even have officials on the field anymore. You can see so much better on the live stream or TV broadcast.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

😢☹️😫😩😭
 

I don’t know why they even have officials on the field anymore. You can see so much better on the live stream or TV broadcast.

I was there and saw it all first hand. Rewatching made it obvious. I don’t normally complain, but it was the worst I’ve ever seen. It was filmed for ref training, so you’ll probably see the film eventually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Not sure if he's out for the year or what the status is. The game turned once he went down. AC had started to run and control the game. Once he went out the offense stalled and basically was just giving the ball to Heyerly. It went very conservatively as if the Jets shut it down completely to fight another day. I do think SA would win a rematch this time if it occurs due to the weapons they have. However, they probably will be ranked #1, but neither SA or AC played well enough to be a top 3 team this past Friday. Some would say officiating, but SA had way too many penalties and undisciplined football. AC just doesn't have a strong enough defense with all the youth in key spots. The offense still is one dimensional against tough opponents. I'm also concerned with SA's run defense. It was much better in the 2nd half, but then again the Jets went ultra vanilla without Currie then. Monroe Central had a lot of success the week before as well. They(SA) also had some offensive line issues in the first half (due to injury I believe). Lutheran lost in 20T to a 4A school as well that looked to be stronger than any ACAC team. I still put Lutheran as the team to beat after watching AC & SA all season. Don't get me wrong, I want an Adams County school to win it all, but they aren't playing to that level yet. I'm curious as to how well LCC will be. They seem to have COVID issues going on there. If they return a lot from last year, then I think they would be the 1A North favorite until SA gets their issues fixed.

Lutheran is at a different level.  If AC is serious about making a run they need to follow Lutheran’s lead and take the opportunity this week to play a decent team instead of beating up on ACAC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Lutheran is at a different level.  If AC is serious about making a run they need to follow Lutheran’s lead and take the opportunity this week to play a decent team instead of beating up on ACAC.  
 

Credit also to bluffton for scheduling a good game this week

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thor77 said:

If you rewatch the game and focus on all those penalties, SA probably actually committed less than half of them. Some plays I had to watch every player in the game to see if they moved, and I couldn’t come up with anything justifiable. They called a false start before anyone was even set, and called illegal man down field when the pass was caught behind the los. Those refs were conspiracy level bad, especially when I can point out 2 or 3 plays where AC jumped bad and nothing was called. SA definitely does have a penalty issue, but not to the level of Friday. Possibly the worst reffed game I’ve ever seen. 
 

I would imagine Currie will be back this season, but I don’t know if he can get to full strength. I heard high ankle sprain, which even if playing will slow him down for a while. Would’ve been interesting to see the result with him healthy, but you gotta play with what you got. Which for SA was two former running backs on the line and a center that just started snapping on Tuesday. 
 

And 100% LCC will not be playing long in the tournament due to Covid issues. I don’t know if it spread hard, or the school tests the kids frequently, but I’m pretty sure they’re the only school so far with multiple Covid breaks. I’d be shocked if this didn’t rear its head in the postseason on them. 

I'm more concerned with Lcc's lack of quality reps ... as Tri West, Guerin, Rensey cancelled... Tipton half strenght.. then bowing out in the post season due to covid. Either way.. its alot to overcome for the Knights.... not sure they're up to it..... Agree.. overall.... the Lutherns r in the drivers seat at this point.... in the north... its SA.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BendNotBreak said:

I'm more concerned with Lcc's lack of quality reps ... as Tri West, Guerin, Rensey cancelled... Tipton half strenght.. then bowing out in the post season due to covid. Either way.. its alot to overcome for the Knights.... not sure they're up to it..... Agree.. overall.... the Lutherns r in the drivers seat at this point.... in the north... its SA.. 

southwood may challenge in the north.  3 rivers and acac offer equally weak conference schedules so it’s difficult gauge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Lutheran is at a different level.  If AC is serious about making a run they need to follow Lutheran’s lead and take the opportunity this week to play a decent team instead of beating up on ACAC.

I've not heard anything yet about a game this week. The radio last Wednesday hinted at a home game, but not announcement has been made to my knowledge. My guess is it will be a bye week at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...