Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mid-Season State Championship Matchup Picks

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what their potential matchups might be for Thanksgiving weekend after getting a look at teams through the halfway point.

6A: CG vs HSE. CG takes the title this year and probably goes down as one of the best hs football teams the state has ever seen. The north will be a toss up. Honorable Mention: Brownsburg, Merrillville, Westfield and Laff Jeff. 

5A: Cathedral vs Valpo. Cathedral also runs away with the title this year. The Cathedral vs CG game at the end of the year has the potential to be a top 25 national matchup. Honorable Mention: DC, Dwenger 

4A: Mooresville vs Hobart. Probably the most unpredictable of the different classes. Mooresville state title would be a nice resume booster for one of the best Indiana HS football coaches ever. Honorable mention: Roncalli, Mt. Vernon, East Central, Leo, Evansville Central

3A: Chatard vs Danville. Chatard gets another title. HM: Mishawka Marian, Southridge, West Laff, Lawrenceburg

2A: Not going to speak much on a class I do not know much about. Interested to get the GID's thoughts. 

1A: Lutheran v South Adams. Lutheran wins it. HM: South Putnam, Covenant Christian, LCC, Adams Central, North Judson

50 minutes ago, FridayNightLights said:

3A: Chatard vs Danville. Chatard gets another title.

Chatard does not want to see the Danville Warriors in the playoffs, especially not the state championship.  Because it will be hard to claim that it's a "down year" if they lose that game again

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FridayNightLights said:

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what their potential matchups might be for Thanksgiving weekend after getting a look at teams through the halfway point.

6A: CG vs HSE. CG takes the title this year and probably goes down as one of the best hs football teams the state has ever seen. The north will be a toss up. Honorable Mention: Brownsburg, Merrillville, Westfield and Laff Jeff. 

5A: Cathedral vs Valpo. Cathedral also runs away with the title this year. The Cathedral vs CG game at the end of the year has the potential to be a top 25 national matchup. Honorable Mention: DC, Dwenger 

4A: Mooresville vs Hobart. Probably the most unpredictable of the different classes. Mooresville state title would be a nice resume booster for one of the best Indiana HS football coaches ever. Honorable mention: Roncalli, Mt. Vernon, East Central, Leo, Evansville Central

3A: Chatard vs Danville. Chatard gets another title. HM: Mishawka Marian, Southridge, West Laff, Lawrenceburg

2A: Not going to speak much on a class I do not know much about. Interested to get the GID's thoughts. 

1A: Lutheran v South Adams. Lutheran wins it. HM: South Putnam, Covenant Christian, LCC, Adams Central, North Judson

6A: CG vs. Westfield

5A: Cathedral vs. Valpo, Dwenger, and Zionsville. Tough to pick here. I feel that most forget about Zionsville being in 5A. They play a very tough schedule in the HCC. Valpo probably has the most all around talent.

4A: Mt. Vernon vs. Hobart

3A: Chatard vs. Danville or Southridge

2A: All I can pick is Andrean. Not sure about the South.

1A: Lutheran vs. South Adams

It's looking like the state champion in 2A this year will come out of the North.  Several teams in the South this year seem to be having "down" years:  Western Boone, Scecina, and Mater Dei are just a few that come to mind.  Not saying they won't make some noise in the tournament, but I don't see them winning the title.  Of course, any team can get hot and end up getting to Lucas Oil even with a few losses.  Some times luck of the draw helps.  I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Roncalli travels to East Central for the last game of the regular season. The winner of that game will be my choice out of the South for 4A. I’m betting on East Central. They gave Chatard all they could handle at Chatard. 

I will have to defer to @StinkTownClown on the "BiG ReD & BlAcK", but I don't think any of those teams are as good as Mooresville who will represent the South in 4A

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

My Predictions

6A:  Merrillville vs. Center Grove

5A:  Valparaiso vs. Cathedral

4A:  Hobart vs. Mooresville

3A:  Chatard vs. Lawrenceburg

2A:  Andrean vs. Triton Central

1A:  South Adams vs. Lutheran

Good catch on Lawrenceburg.  Great shot at coming out of the South.

4A South is a tough call.  I like Mooresville, Mt. Vernon and East Central.  The East Central/Mooresville game at Mooresville last year was a battle.  Truly believe folks chronically overlook East Central (usually to their own detriment) because Southeast Indiana may as well be on the moon as far as the rest of the state is concerned.

Stinky, Stink, Stink 1.2.3.

It's hard to bet against EC

But you all know if you want truth

Come get your advice from STC!

BiG ReD & BlAcK has a stout defense that will keep them in most games in the tournament. They have some backers that are the best in the state. The defense will not be the issue. The deal is this, they do not have the offensive firepower that is going to line up in a 4A tournament and get it done. Offensive line is solid, running back, they lost their best RB (ACL), but STC will say this....they have a 9th grader that is going to be good! Stink thinks they have some WR's but the passing game seems to be on the back burner at this time. QB is very average, but does what all EC's QB's are taught to do. Handoff the ball! If the passing game can develop, then maybe.......

Stinks Overall Prediction - Unless the offense comes together, the Trojans may have a hard time keeping up with some of the teams that can put up points. Stink is not saying the Trojan D will give up too many points. Reminder Mooresville took the Trojans down last year 17-14. Stink will not rule out the BiG ReD & BlAcK, but a trip to the Oil Can may be a BIG stretch!

• Like 2