Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Early outlook on Mr. Football

We’ll be 2/3’s the way done with the regular season at the conclusion of Friday’s games. With playoffs rapidly approaching that means it’s also appropriate to talk about the state’s most coveted award; Mr. Football. In my opinion there’s 3 candidates who have separated themselves from the rest the pack.

1. Carsen Steele-Center Grove. A four year starter for the Trojans, it seems like a decade ago we first heard Steele’s name. After an injury ridden season last year, Steele picked up right where he left off. Carsen is the top offensive standout on one of the best teams in the entire country.

2. Donovan McCulley-Lawrence North. This is the sexy pick. Top offensive rated player in the state committed to the states flagship university. McCulley has been fantastic this year and is the key component to a very impressive LN turnaround. A strong finish to the end of the year and a potential section victory could make him the front runner.

3. Nathan McCahill-Cathedral. This time last year you’d be hard pressed to find anybody outside the Cathedral family that was familiar with the name McCahill. McCahill’s transformation from reserve receiver to star QB has been a treat to watch. Has put up ridiculously numbers against stout opponents week in and week out and is a major reason why Cathedral sits 5-0 on the year. He’s won the IndyStar performer of the week three times now and certainly on the radar.

These in my opinion are the top 3 candidates but feel free to give worthy recognition to those out there.

• Like 1

on this day, my vote would be for LT Blake Fisher, Avon High School. 

I contend he is as important and dominant player than those 3 tremendous offensive skill position players listed right there as well and I wouldn't blink twice if any those kids won it, but Fisher is what the "yutes" say these days, IS A DUDE.   

JR year tape:  He goes to steal your soul on each punch he throws.   

http://www.hudl.com/v/2CLCp3

• Like 1

Fort Wayne/NE Indiana top players to be considered:

Duce Taylor, QB Ft Wayne Northside: thru 5 games; 89-145, 1651 yards, 20 TD's, 2 INTs with 2 rushing TD's. Hurt by the fact N Side is sitting at 2-3 on the year and likely not getting out of the sectional with Dwenger there.  Stat machine.

James Arnold, QB South Adams: thru 5 games; 71-101, 1396 yards, 18 TD's, 2 INT's.  4 year starter for 5-0 #2 ranked team in 1A.  Should have a great post season run, BUT being in 1A hurts historically.

Mason Englert, WR Ft Wayne Carroll: thru 5 games; 35 catches, 835 yards, 11 TD's receiving, 12 TD's total.  Top receiver in area on a very good 4-1 6A Carroll team (IFCA #6).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

on this day, my vote would be for LT Blake Fisher, Avon High School. 

I contend he is as important and dominant player than those 3 tremendous offensive skill position players listed right there as well and I wouldn't blink twice if any those kids won it, but Fisher is what the "yutes" say these days, IS A DUDE.   

JR year tape:  He goes to steal your soul on each punch he throws.   

http://www.hudl.com/v/2CLCp3

That Punch 😳 .....the finish 🤩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AG said:

How about the kid from Lafayette Jeff who was leading the country in rushing?

He didn’t play last week which is gonna hurt his stats. Gonna be tough for him to overcome the weak conference competition since he probably won’t play in most second halves the rest of the season. They would need a deep tourney run for him to have a chance. 

Southern Indiana- Boonvilles Devin Mockobee. The Navy commit is putting together a Strong Season so far. 1219yds 19tds AVG 10ypc. He put on 15LBs over the off season and its showing. Hes probly the most under the radar recruit in the State. Hes 6'0 197Lb has a Verified 122" broadjump, 34"vertical, 6.98 3 cone and a 4.0 shuttle. 

20200920_091224.jpg

Edited by Mockstangboyz
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mockstangboyz said:

Southern Indiana- Boonvilles Devin Mockobee. The Navy commit is putting together a Strong Season so far. 1219yds 19tds AVG 10ypc. He put on 15LBs over the off season and its showing. Hes probly the most under the radar recruit in the State. Hes 6'0 197Lb has a Verified 122" broadjump, 34"vertical, 6.98 3 cone and a 4.0 shuttle. 

I just watched a highlight of one of his runs against Heritage Hills (I think).  And OH MY GOODNESS. I felt that stiff arm he gave to that kid on the sideline

http://www.hudl.com/video/5f5bc5df8cd54211309fd9fc

Edited by Knightmare
Link

46 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I just watched a highlight of one of his runs against Heritage Hills (I think).  And OH MY GOODNESS. I felt that stiff arm he gave to that kid on the sideline

http://www.hudl.com/video/5f5bc5df8cd54211309fd9fc

Yea hes the real deal! He was just late on getting the exposure he needed to bring the big offers.    247sports has him at a 82 3 🌟 his profile on their site just went active in July.lol Navy stole one from the Hoosier State with this kid. When his upper body catches up to his lower body this kid will play at 215-225 in College. 

Edited by Mockstangboyz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grover said:

Whoever picks Mr. Football has proven that they are partial to multi-year hype so it will be an uphill battle for those who we are just now hearing about.

Yes...I'm still bitter about Russ Yeast not winning in 2016. 

Right their with you on that one.  not sure how the best players in the state losse to a kid that never made it of sectionals 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grover said:

Whoever picks Mr. Football has proven that they are partial to multi-year hype so it will be an uphill battle for those who we are just now hearing about.

Yes...I'm still bitter about Russ Yeast not winning in 2016. 

Has to be one of the more puzzling Mr Football winners in the history of the award.  

21 hours ago, Bears62 said:

He didn’t play last week which is gonna hurt his stats. Gonna be tough for him to overcome the weak conference competition since he probably won’t play in most second halves the rest of the season. They would need a deep tourney run for him to have a chance. 

Mockobee will likely lead the state in rushing and all-purpose yards, but for the reasons mentioned already and Boonville unlikely to advance past the sectional, he'll not get it, as has been the case for many talented skill players outside of the  IndyStar radar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Mockobee will likely lead the state in rushing and all-purpose yards, but for the reasons mentioned already and Boonville unlikely to advance past the sectional, he'll not get it, as has been the case for many talented skill players outside of the  IndyStar radar.

Have to agree for sure, here's Mockobees Stats from tonight. Devin Mockobee 16 carries 193 yds 3 offensive TDs runs of 80 47 and 34 yds 2 defensive TDs 98 yr interception return 43 yd fumble recovery Go Pioneers!

15 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

He had ONE carry in last week's game that we officiated.  Not being from the "area" I thought another guy was THE GUY....  silly me.

Uh oh....I again misquoted the player, thank goodness I am an official and totally unaware of knowing who the referenced participants are....

I thought this was the Lafayette Jeff RB....Thomas Hogan

😬

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:30 PM, Mockstangboyz said:

broadjump.... thats something Donnie Baker knows about I'm sure !