Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Daniel Buck T Kankakee Valley 6-5, 295lbs

Guest DT

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I do not believe in week 1 he was a starter for them, but he did play. 

I like his Mom.     She is in her 2nd year teaching now at RCHS.   

But the OL/DL they have starting is pretty physical group,  might be hard for him to crack the lineup 

How is it possibly that a kid with that size cant crack a 4A starting lineup?

I dont get it.

If the kid didnt have any drive or determination he would have quit by now.  Isnt their HC a former NFL lineman?

Edited by DT

17 hours ago, DT said:

How is it possibly that a kid with that size cant crack a 4A starting lineup?

I dont get it.

If the kid didnt have any drive or determination he would have quit by now.  Isnt their HC a former NFL lineman?

Maybe the offensive line is experienced. Maybe they do a lot of pulling. Maybe he has some things to work on. Maybe he will be real good.  It is very possible that he doesn't start.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Bigger isn't always better on an OL or DL. I don't want an OT who can't get to the linebacker level by the time a RB hits a hole. Just as I don't care how big a NG is if he can't draw a double team. 

This. 

after seeing the Southridge GIbson Southern game. Couldn’t agree more

Gibson Southerns OL is averaging 6’3 265 across the board and their DL they have at times 2 kids that are 6’2 280 and 6’5 310.  Watching the game they were very very clearly much larger than the Southridge OL/DL..it didn’t matter at all.  The smaller SR OL fires off fast and aggressive and had good form to allow them to run at ease vs us.  And while the GS OL is very very good, Southridge was able to create enough pressure to stall out drives and make enough stops.

Thinking on it, there is one player I know who didn’t really see the field all to often during his time at Gibson Southern (I believe he has since graduated) and I believe he was about 6’4-6’6 310+. Kids that were 6’ 230 started over him on OL and DL. Not a knock on this kid but sometimes those smaller guys just want it more or it just doesn’t fit the scheme all too well. 

20 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This. 

after seeing the Southridge GIbson Southern game. Couldn’t agree more

Gibson Southerns OL is averaging 6’3 265 across the board and their DL they have at times 2 kids that are 6’2 280 and 6’5 310.  Watching the game they were very very clearly much larger than the Southridge OL/DL..it didn’t matter at all.  The smaller SR OL fires off fast and aggressive and had good form to allow them to run at ease vs us.  And while the GS OL is very very good, Southridge was able to create enough pressure to stall out drives and make enough stops.

Thinking on it, there is one player I know who didn’t really see the field all to often during his time at Gibson Southern (I believe he has since graduated) and I believe he was about 6’4-6’6 310+. Kids that were 6’ 230 started over him on OL and DL. Not a knock on this kid but sometimes those smaller guys just want it more or it just doesn’t fit the scheme all too well. 

Agile linemen fit Southridge's schemes perfectly. Every once and a while they'll get a "haus" but you won't see him put in positions required to pull or loop as say a tackle on a wide toss... Or maybe I just have a soft spot for linemen who are 6-2, 230 (me) and fit into an odd front at NG or rush end in even front pass defenses, but don't have the speed to project as a LB in college...