Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

FALL 2 YEAR CLASSIFICATION

Wood Memorial is not classified, so they must have informed the IHSAA that they are not playing for the next 2 years.  Bishop Noll is classified.  That would explain why there are 33 teams in 5A.  I would hope that whoever aligns 5A is smart enough to make the only 5 team sectional include both Elkhart schools.

• Like 1

Hmm.  Clinton Central now has an enrollment almost 100 less than rival Clinton Prairie.  For decades these schools were nearly equal in enrollment.   Bad school administrations and open enrollment has caused families to flee to surrounding districts like Rossville, Frankfort, Western, and even Clinton Prairie itself.

Consolidation within the next 5-10 years is a distinct possibility.

14 minutes ago, HoopsCoach said:

Wood Memorial is not classified, so they must have informed the IHSAA that they are not playing for the next 2 years.  Bishop Noll is classified.  That would explain why there are 33 teams in 5A.  I would hope that whoever aligns 5A is smart enough to make the only 5 team sectional include both Elkhart schools.

There are 33 teams in 5A because of the pending Elkhart consolidation. That was baked into the classifications because we all know it's coming (and it will be the one 5-team sectional in 5A). 

I believe 4A only has 63 teams. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

There are 33 teams in 5A because of the pending Elkhart consolidation. That was baked into the classifications because we all know it's coming (and it will be the one 5-team sectional in 5A). 

I believe 4A only has 63 teams. 

I have been told by administration at Memorial, single school begins 21-22 school year. It's still two years away. 

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I have been told by administration at Memorial, single school begins 21-22 school year. It's still two years away. 

From this WSBT story (and everything I've heard), the plan is to merge into one high school in 2020. https://wsbt.com/news/local/work-underway-to-improve-elkharts-memorial-and-central-high-schools

Here's how I see the top two classes
1: Lake Central, Crown Point, Merrillville, Lafayette Jeff
2: Chesterton, Valpo, Portage, Penn
3: Warsaw, Homestead, Carroll, Noblesville
4: Westfield, Carmel, Fishers, Hamilton SE
5: Zionsville, North Central, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North
6: Avon, Brownsburg, Pike, Ben Davis
7: Southport, Perry Meridian, Tech, Warren Central
8: Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North, Columbus East

Big questions are where to send Jeff, which Hamilton County school to send north and what do do with 4-5-6

9: LaPorte, Michigan City, Munster, SB Adams
10: Concord, Goshen, Mishawaka, Elkhart Central, Elkhart Memorial
11: FW Dwenger, FW North, FW Northrop, FW Snider
12: Anderson, Kokomo, Harrison, McCutcheon
13: New Palestine, Decatur Central, Franklin, Whiteland
14: Bedford NL, Bloomington N., Bloomington S., Plainfield
15: Floyd Central, Jeffersonville, New Albany, Seymour
16: Castle, Ev. North, TH North, TH South

The north bracket might be the easiest the IHSAA has ever drawn. Only major question in the south is whether to divide the regionals east/west (in which case, flip 14/15) or north/south, and which of Decatur Central, Franklin and Plainfield goes in with BNL and the Bloomington schools. Sectionals 11 & 13 will be incredible. 

With I-69 done, it's possible the Bloomington schools and/or BNL could be paired with the Evansville schools, but the unwillingness to split either the Bloomington or Terre Haute schools will likely leave the map like this. 

So in 2019-20 there are 32 teams in 6A with Valparaiso as the smallest. 5A has 33 teams including the two Elkhart teams.

Then for 2020-21 there are 32 teams in 6A including the consolidated Elkhart school and 32 in 5A with Valpo being the largest school. 

This certainly is a first for IHSAA realignment.

At least with Elkhart and Valpo being reasonably close together they could just slot Elkhart into Valpo's position for 6A. 5A will be a little trickier. 

16 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

9: LaPorte, Michigan City, Munster, SB Adams
10: Concord, Goshen, Mishawaka, Elkhart Central, Elkhart Memorial
11: FW Dwenger, FW North, FW Northrop, FW Snider
12: Anderson, Kokomo, Harrison, McCutcheon
13: New Palestine, Decatur Central, Franklin, Whiteland
14: Bedford NL, Bloomington N., Bloomington S., Plainfield
15: Floyd Central, Jeffersonville, New Albany, Seymour
16: Castle, Ev. North, TH North, TH South

For 5A, do you think they might send the Elkhart schools over to Munster, LaPorte, MC for one year? That way when Valpo moves down, that 5A sectional will make more sense geographically?

31 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

There will be "one" school operating under one number beginning in 2020-2021. There will only be one softball team for Elkhart, one swimming team, etc-that all begins that school year. The next year, 2021-2022, is when the merged campuses will officially open (grades 10-12 at current Memorial location, grade 9 at current Central location). There is only one more school year, 2019-2020, of Memorial and Central fielding their own teams.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Payne said:

So in 2019-20 there are 32 teams in 6A with Valparaiso as the smallest. 5A has 33 teams including the two Elkhart teams.

Then for 2020-21 there are 32 teams in 6A including the consolidated Elkhart school and 32 in 5A with Valpo being the largest school. 

This certainly is a first for IHSAA realignment.

At least with Elkhart and Valpo being reasonably close together they could just slot Elkhart into Valpo's position for 6A. 5A will be a little trickier. 

No, Valpo will not drop down to 5A mid-cycle.  They are 6A for both years.

6 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

For 5A, do you think they might send the Elkhart schools over to Munster, LaPorte, MC for one year? That way when Valpo moves down, that 5A sectional will make more sense geographically?

This is what we thought could happen if the IHSAA decided to swap Elkhart High School and Valpo in 2020, which they did. No clue if that is what they will do but it does seem to make sense:

6A Sectional 2-Valpo, Chesterton, Penn, Warsaw

5A Sectional 9-Munster, Michigan City, LaPorte, SB Adams

5A Sectional 10-Mishawaka, Elkhart Memorial, Elkhart Central, Concord, Goshen

6A Sectional 2- Chesterton, Penn, Warsaw, Elkhart

5A Sectional 9-Munster, Michigan City, LaPorte, Valpo

5A Sectional 10-Mishawaka, Concord, Goshen, SB Adams

22 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

The IHSAA, historically, has not reclassified schools when they consolidate mid-cycle. Muncie Central competed in 3A basketball and 4A football with an enrollment north of 1600. But I see the IHSAA *has* reclassified schools for 2020. That's a change (and one I lobbied for a few years ago). 

My guess is, Elkhart will move to Sectional 2 & Valpo will move to Sectional 9, with SB Adams sliding over to Sectional 10. 

• Like 1