Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A No. 2 Valparaiso at 6A No. 3 Merrillville (10-2-20) cancelled

Positive Covid-19 virus test at Valpo.        Valpo loses the game with Crown Point and the one with Merrillville.

Biggest game in many years up here.....Valpo has long regular season and DAC winning streaks...

Both teams have multiple D-1 senior players.  

There will be no playoff meeting obviously.   (last weeks cancelled Lowell-Hobart game could happen in 4A Sectional 17)

.....I'm more worried about positive tests next month which would end teams seasons.

.......What can I say?    Play each game like its your last, kids. 

Agree.  Once we're within 2 weeks of sectional I really think coaches need to start taking a hard look at who they REALLY need out there.  Put your 3 deep chart together and ride with those players.  The bigger your team, the more likely COVID will take you out instead of an opponent.

Would be horrible for seniors to have to forfeit due to the 3rd string punter testing positive.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Positive Covid-19 virus test at Valpo.        Valpo loses the game with Crown Point and the one with Merrillville.

Biggest game in many years up here.....Valpo has long regular season and DAC winning streaks...

Both teams have multiple D-1 senior players.  

There will be no playoff meeting obviously.   (last weeks cancelled Lowell-Hobart game could happen in 4A Sectional 17)

.....I'm more worried about positive tests next month which would end teams seasons.

.......What can I say?    Play each game like its your last, kids. 

Would have loved to see Valpo/Mville under normal circumstances with full, healthy lineups. It's a shame, but welcome to 2020

On 9/25/2020 at 8:33 AM, Purdue Pete said:

Agree.  Once we're within 2 weeks of sectional I really think coaches need to start taking a hard look at who they REALLY need out there.  Put your 3 deep chart together and ride with those players.  The bigger your team, the more likely COVID will take you out instead of an opponent.

Would be horrible for seniors to have to forfeit due to the 3rd string punter testing positive.

You make an interesting point.  Small schools need all hands on deck but larger ones might separate anyone who can possibly play on the varsity this year from the very young freshman and JV boys who would never see the field under any scenario.

I dont think I've seen the usual 4 or 5 ball boys on the sidelines at games this year ....  its probably not because they can be annoying little short attention span brats but because everybody is a virus risk.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:57 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Would have loved to see Valpo/Mville under normal circumstances with full, healthy lineups. It's a shame, but welcome to 2020

I can understand last Friday’s game bring cancelled, but this coming Friday is a real head-scratcher.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:01 PM, Indian72 said:

The trend is not downward in many places.  Over 50% of the new cases are 40 and under.  This is going to get more serious as we move along n the season

What's the mortality rate for that age group and how does it compare with other yearly influenzas? This is the problem with looking at data and making judgments without weighing cost-benefit analysis and rationalizing it with the same decision making as comparable incidents.