Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A #3 Merrillville @ 3A #1 Bishop Chatard next week

Interesting factoid for Region folk.  Chatard Head Coach Rob Doyle is a graduate of Andrean (‘78, I believe) and Depauw.  He was a QB at both and I also believe in each of those institutions Hall of Fame (or something along those lines).  

He is also, when not coaching, a practicing attorney and partner of a law firm.  

Kudos to Andrean.

• Like 1

Armani Glass and Cincinnati bound speedster JoJo Johnson will need to carry Merrillville in this one. The Pirates having D-1 recruits sprinkled across the lines won’t faze a disciplined team like Chatard that is a factory for line play. 

Anyone know if Jr. Merrillville RB Lavarion Logan was at at Joliet Catholic last year? Name sounds familiar. 

I’ll take Chatard by about 7.

48 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Interesting factoid for Region folk.  Chatard Head Coach Rob Doyle is a graduate of Andrean (‘78, I believe) and Depauw.  He was a QB at both and I also believe in each of those institutions Hall of Fame (or something along those lines).  

He is also, when not coaching, a practicing attorney and partner of a law firm.  

Kudos to Andrean.

Coach Doyle is a Workers Compensation attorney. I’ve met him a couple of times. He is a member of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, an organization of which I’m a past president. He is highly regarded in his field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yes, you get head of the line privileges for the ATM at your local convenient store.

So things are looking up...

29 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Ha! I like Whiting89’s passion for Region football. He would probably fit in well with this crew. Baby Ditka 70. Chatard 2. 

A8ED3CEE-6938-4201-A50F-73C364DE0316.jpeg

He is a good one—way to represent...

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Armani Glass and Cincinnati bound speedster JoJo Johnson will need to carry Merrillville in this one. The Pirates having D-1 recruits sprinkled across the lines won’t faze a disciplined team like Chatard that is a factory for line play. 

Anyone know if Jr. Merrillville RB Lavarion Logan was at at Joliet Catholic last year? Name sounds familiar. 

I’ll take Chatard by about 7.

Boiler..

The way I understand it.....

Logan was at Merrillville as a freshman and Joliet Catholic as  sophomore...yes..you are right

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

I figured with Carmel being in the south it would weaken it enough for a Region team to make it... 

Being in the south has nothing to do with it. There are three or four teams up north that could beat Carmel this year.

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

5 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

I may be wrong but I think Olympion06 was being lightnearted

Could be. Either way, I think they would have struggled this year. They would have had to beat either Jeff or Westfield, then more than likely Carroll, then Merrillville. That would have been a brutal three weeks. Not saying they couldn't do it, but unless they were playing at top form three weeks in a row, I think one of those teams would beat them. 

I love this matchup, but I'm surprised there are many that believe Chatard will be in this game.  I always like the Trojan's chances, but I saw Merrillville play Andrean, and they have some DUDES.  There will be 10 or more players on Merrillville's team that are bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic than anyone on Chatard's team.

However, I have to believe this is a win-win for both teams.  For Merrillville, as others have already pointed out, they can use this as a trial run for a potential visit to Indy in November.  It should also be a good measuring stick for where they stack up currently: if they win decisively (2+ scores), then I think it reaffirms that they have a legitimate chance to make it to Lucas Oil.  If it's close or they somehow lose this game, then they know they have a lot more work to do.  For Chatard, as long as they can stay healthy and don't lose more starters, then this is a great experience to play top competition.  There are some great teams in 3A this year, but none of them are fielding anything close to the athletic ability and speed that Merrillville will be rolling off the bus Friday night.

My heart tells me Chatard wins a nail biter in the 4th quarter.  My head tells me that Merrillville's D1 studs are too much to handle, and this game ends up looking very similar to what we saw against Cathedral earlier this year.  Either way, this is one silver lining of covid.  We get an opportunity to see some unique matchups that we'd likely never see otherwise.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

I love this matchup, but I'm surprised there are many that believe Chatard will be in this game.  I always like the Trojan's chances, but I saw Merrillville play Andrean, and they have some DUDES.  There will be 10 or more players on Merrillville's team that are bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic than anyone on Chatard's team.

If Chatard wins, it’ll be the way they always do. Slow the game down running the ball. Play solid defense. Limit mistakes. Don’t turn it over.

But in my mind, it’s Merrillville’s game to win or lose. If they don’t commit stupid penalties, and they don’t turn it over, they’ll win. If they do, Chatard will take advantage ... as they always do.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

If Chatard wins, it’ll be the way they always do. Slow the game down running the ball. Play solid defense. Limit mistakes. Don’t turn it over.

But in my mind, it’s Merrillville’s game to win or lose. If they don’t commit stupid penalties, and they don’t turn it over, they’ll win. If they do, Chatard will take advantage ... as they always do.

Merrillville has to sit on a bus and stew for 3 hours

Advantage Chatard

Trojans 28-21

11 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

However, I have to believe this is a win-win for both teams.  For Merrillville, as others have already pointed out, they can use this as a trial run for a potential visit to Indy in November.  It should also be a good measuring stick for where they stack up currently: if they win decisively (2+ scores), then I think it reaffirms that they have a legitimate chance to make it to Lucas Oil.  If it's close or they somehow lose this game, then they know they have a lot more work to do.  For Chatard, as long as they can stay healthy and don't lose more starters, then this is a great experience to play top competition.  There are some great teams in 3A this year, but none of them are fielding anything close to the athletic ability and speed that Merrillville will be rolling off the bus Friday night.

My heart tells me Chatard wins a nail biter in the 4th quarter.  My head tells me that Merrillville's D1 studs are too much to handle, and this game ends up looking very similar to what we saw against Cathedral earlier this year.  Either way, this is one silver lining of covid.  We get an opportunity to see some unique matchups that we'd likely never see otherwise.

Two outstanding programs.  Both with tradition, legacy, outstanding athletes, and phenomenal coaching.  Merrillville has just been rolling along this year, amassing an undefeated record, with very few close games.  Then you have, Bishop Silas Chatard.  Admittedly, that’s about as much as I know about them, other that they’re one of the state’s best 3A programs.  Should be a close one, I’m going with the Pirates 27-24 as their speed will wear down the Trojans’ big uglies.

I'm not informed well enough about either team to make a prediction, but I do know as even Cathedral fans will tell you this year, don't play Chatard thinking you're not in for a war. Even if they don't have the athletes, they will play to/through every whistle and hit the player lined up across from them play, after play, after play. I'm not saying Merrillville hasn't seen that or that they will panic, but Chatard will do everything possible to make this as physical game as possible in every respect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DT said:

Merrillville has to sit on a bus and stew for 3 hours

Advantage Chatard

Trojans 28-21

Can I be the voice of negatvity, DT? 

I wouldnt do this.  3 weeks before the post-season?  State contenders?  You're playing an unscheduled game against a team outside your area...

In the virus year...... Nobody gets hurt on an open date.

25 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Can I be the voice of negatvity, DT? 

I wouldnt do this.  3 weeks before the post-season?  State contenders?  You're playing an unscheduled game against a team outside your area...

In the virus year...... Nobody gets hurt on an open date.

I thought every game was precious. After all, that's supposedly why we have an all in tournament, so we won't "deny" anyone the chance to play one more game. 

Nobody ever got better from an open week. They have, however, gotten better even after a long road trip and a loss, by testing yourself against the kind of team Chatard always is.

4 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I'm not informed well enough about either team to make a prediction, but I do know as even Cathedral fans will tell you this year, don't play Chatard thinking you're not in for a war. Even if they don't have the athletes, they will play to/through every whistle and hit the player lined up across from them play, after play, after play. I'm not saying Merrillville hasn't seen that or that they will panic, but Chatard will do everything possible to make this as physical game as possible in every respect.

This be true!

• Like 1