Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A #3 Merrillville @ 3A #1 Bishop Chatard next week

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

I thought every game was precious. After all, that's supposedly why we have an all in tournament, so we won't "deny" anyone the chance to play one more game. 

Nobody ever got better from an open week. They have, however, gotten better even after a long road trip and a loss, by testing yourself against the kind of team Chatard always is.

That's one way of looking at it. To me, the goal is to win the sectional. Whatever the sport.  Doesnt matter whether you play 5 regular season games or 9.

Unless Chatard's offense is similar to Jefferson's, (Jeff is in Merrillville's 6A Sectional 1) I would not take the injury risk especially in the virus year.

15 hours ago, BTF said:

Could be. Either way, I think they would have struggled this year. They would have had to beat either Jeff or Westfield, then more than likely Carroll, then Merrillville. That would have been a brutal three weeks. Not saying they couldn't do it, but unless they were playing at top form three weeks in a row, I think one of those teams would beat them. 

But you’re basing your argument on Carmel’s lopsided losses, to arguably the 2 best teams in the state. They’ve since established themselves as the 2nd best team in the best conference. They should be at the very least a co-favorite in sectional #5 alongside Brownsburg. Burg is #2 and Carmel #3 in 6A Sagarin. I think if Carmel were still in Sect. #4, Westfield would be 1st, then Carroll in Regional, then either Jeff, the Pirates or Elkhart. Thus this is now Westfield’s path to LOS. No one down here will be surprised if the Shamrocks are playing Thanksgiving weekend.

I am hoping not to speak too much out of school (and yet I will). My kids played at Chatard some years back but I have been around long enough that I think I have some sense of the ethos for kids at Chatard.  

My oldest son played against Merrillville at the St Joe Camps for some years back in the day.  His comments would be long outdated and unhelpful in evaluating Merrillville these days no doubt. 

Nonetheless, Chatard’s goal is to win (fairly, btw) every possible game placed in front of the kids.  Maybe it’s a regular season game.  Maybe it’s a Sectional.  Maybe even more...

Just win....whenever Covid (which seems to weigh so heavily on so many) or God gives you the chance to take the field.  In the end, that attitude gave them 14 State Championships.

Just win....and if you lose be sure the other team remembers the bumps and bruises it took to earn that win.  

And play some hard nosed Defense....whatever else you do.

I don’t like comparing teams but last year’s Chatard team ended the year #3 All Classes per CalPreps/MaxPreps and #5 All Classes Predictor per Sagarin.  They seldom ended a game without a running clock.  They could have beat anyone in the State on any given day....many times...badly.  I fully believe that.

This year is a new year....a new chance for legend.  I think I saw an article that called them “a work in progress”.  Probably so...seems an absolutely valid description.  They are a very good team....but are they, perhaps, maybe, the best 3A team...or even, maybe again, a top 10 best All Classes team....which they clearly were last year?  Friday’s game might tell that tale.  

Some here seem to expect the historic grind and pound clock control offense.    Last year, Chatard could put 21 on you in 5 minutes between passing and running.  I have no idea what to expect Friday.

The only prediction I have is that it won’t be anything that anyone here predicts...with one exception.  There will be some few bumps and bruises by games end if Chatard plays well, even if losing.

Over the years, there have been damn few games between the best teams in Northern Indiana and Central Indiana.  The Cathedral game against Penn is probably unfair.  Looked to be a possibly historically good Cathedral team versus a down year (perhaps historically down) Penn team.

A few years ago, there were some games between Central Indiana and Ft Wayne until the SAC, sadly, closed ALL doors.

This is the sole and an absolutely incredible opportunity to have the most significant game (this year) between two State Championship level contenders from the Region and Central Indiana.  

Classes be damned.  

BIG TIME GAME. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Staxawax said:

But you’re basing your argument on Carmel’s lopsided losses, to arguably the 2 best teams in the state. They’ve since established themselves as the 2nd best team in the best conference. They should be at the very least a co-favorite in sectional #5 alongside Brownsburg. Burg is #2 and Carmel #3 in 6A Sagarin. I think if Carmel were still in Sect. #4, Westfield would be 1st, then Carroll in Regional, then either Jeff, the Pirates or Elkhart. Thus this is now Westfield’s path to LOS. No one down here will be surprised if the Shamrocks are playing Thanksgiving weekend.

Two storied programs who might even be having their best years ever. I get it, those two losses were to great teams. An overtime win over Pike. Wouldn't you consider this Carmel team average by their standards? We all know what average is to Carmel. It's still Top 10 regardless of class. I maintain that there are 3 or 4 teams up north that "could" beat Carmel. I think they would have to be at the very top of their game four weeks in a row to escape the north this year. Too bad it won't play out. 

Monday was last chatter

Today is now THURSDAY!!!

So disappointing!!!

I would assume Pirates have the Speed factor in their favor, but Chatard is no slouch in that deptartment.    Trojans are known for their discipline and very much blue collar in your face brand of ball, but have spread it out some more under Coach Doyle.   

Pirates have been blessed with some new players making their way into their hallways and are firing on all cylinders it would seem.   

I am going Pirates 21 Trojans 10  WHY?:   Because I am a card carrying REGION RAT!!!    #219Pride   #northoftheriver  #IpayLakeCountyTaxes  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Monday was last chatter

Today is now THURSDAY!!!

So disappointing!!!

I would assume Pirates have the Speed factor in their favor, but Chatard is no slouch in that deptartment.    Trojans are known for their discipline and very much blue collar in your face brand of ball, but have spread it out some more under Coach Doyle.   

Pirates have been blessed with some new players making their way into their hallways and are firing on all cylinders it would seem.   

I am going Pirates 21 Trojans 10  WHY?:   Because I am a card carrying REGION RAT!!!    #219Pride   #northoftheriver  #IpayLakeCountyTaxes  :classic_biggrin:

Ha! I used to drive around the Purdue campus with this sticker on the back of my car and was teased mercilessly by my Central Indiana friends. Didn't care. I should be in the Broad Ripple area on Friday night. I'm hoping to stop by Chatard at some point and at the very lease catch a glimpse from outside the fences. Unfortunately, I'm still thinking the Northside JV Catholic team will edge the Merrillville/Hammond All Stars.

17eca96ad9fe24416245f0c11512fc06_400x400.jpeg

• Disdain 1

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Monday was last chatter

Today is now THURSDAY!!!

So disappointing!!!

That seems about right, coach. Low-scoring.

Merrillville can handle a spread attack and still attack the QB.   The Pirates occasionally stop themselves...with fumbles and penalties but its going to be tough for Chatard to score on offense.

I dont think Merrillville has trailed at any time this year so if the Trojans score first, the mood may be new for them.

But I dont think this is an even match.

• Like 1

It’s possible Chatard will be streaming it on Facebook since that is what was done for the Cathedral and Guerin games (one other game as well, I believe).

That said, I never quite know just where to find that information since it likely seems to either be: (a) closely held along the lines of the nuclear codes and apparently crucial to national security or (b) a last minute decision made seconds before game time to just “throw it up there“.

With that, for anyone attending, hot dogs and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches will be available for the first time this season.  The school has deemed that information essential for the sake of football fans everywhere.

31 minutes ago, Lysander said:

With that, for anyone attending, hot dogs and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches will be available for the first time this season.  The school has deemed that information essential for the sake of football fans everywhere.

I’ll take it, but popcorn? 

14 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

😂🤣 Regions Rats have disappeared from the thread for some reason especially Whiting89

10 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

I watched countless Chatard players blow past that “speedy M’Ville defense” and pulled away as they were being chased. 

Big runs from the line of scrimmage thru gaping holes. Pretty good for a bunch of deanery kids against D1 talent.