Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Rare comebacks

Last Friday (9-25-20) Kankakee Valley led Lowell 21-0 at the half and Lowell won 28-21 in regulation time.

I am surprised that I cant find a time when Lowell came from 21 points behind to defeat anyone and I wonder how rare it is.

Do you remember a high school team trailing by 21 at the half and winning in regulation without kicking a field goal?

4 minutes ago, Grover said:

No but since you brought up comebacks I'm obliged as a CG fan to mention the 2008 5A state championship game where CG trailed Carmel by 19 with 6:15 left in the game and came back to win.

Amazing game.  I almost turned it off not being even a distant fan of Carmel.

I’ve been a CG fan ever since.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Last Friday (9-25-20) Kankakee Valley led Lowell 21-0 at the half and Lowell won 28-21 in regulation time.

I am surprised that I cant find a time when Lowell came from 21 points behind to defeat anyone and I wonder how rare it is.

Do you remember a high school team trailing by 21 at the half and winning in regulation without kicking a field goal?

2012 Gibson Southern trailed Charlestown in regionals 49-21 At half and won 56-49. 

At the time it was the largest comeback in state history I believe 

I also recall that 2/3 years after this Game Center grove pulled off a larger comeback to win. 

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

KV must be heartbroken over this loss

5 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

2012 Gibson Southern trailed Charlestown in regionals 49-21 At half and won 56-49. 

At the time it was the largest comeback in state history I believe 

I also recall that 2/3 years after this Game Center grove pulled off a larger comeback to win. 

A lot of folks 'thought' they remembered 'something like that' by they (and I) look back and find out it wasnt really true.   

Down 21....won in regulation....

Gibson outscored Charleston 35-0 in the second half after trailing by 4 TDs....????

That's the mountain top 'Y'  

1 hour ago, DT said:

KV must be heartbroken over this loss

Amazing game, DT......21-0 is a ton.  KV outgained Lowell 127-0 in the first quarter (that is real....127-0) ....

But KV kicked off to Lowell's top RB and he ran the second half kickoff back for a TD.

KV's got a very good kicker and they had the ball tied 21-21 with 2:00 left but they fumbled on a second down play before they could attempt the kick. Lowell took the lead with 39 seconds left.

KV is bigger and more experienced and Lowell was shorthanded (Lowell was short 10 varsity players due to the virus...they canceled last week) but Lowell somehow had the better team at the end.....

...also..Lowell is a difficult place to play.....its like an old school football theatre....and when things start going against you....its hard to stop the rally.

Lowell (5-0) vs. No.1 Andrean on Oct. 16. Gonna be a showdown. 

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Amazing game, DT......21-0 is a ton.  KV outgained Lowell 127-0 in the first quarter (that is real....127-0) ....

But KV kicked off to Lowell's top RB and he ran the second half kickoff back for a TD.

KV's got a very good kicker and they had the ball tied 21-21 with 2:00 left but they fumbled on a second down play before they could attempt the kick. Lowell took the lead with 39 seconds left.

KV is bigger and more experienced and Lowell was shorthanded (Lowell was short 10 varsity players due to the virus...they canceled last week) but Lowell somehow had the better team at the end.....

...also..Lowell is a difficult place to play.....its like an old school football theatre....and when things start going against you....its hard to stop the rally.

Lowell (5-0) vs. No.1 Andrean on Oct. 16. Gonna be a showdown. 

I did tell you RDP is back...

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Lowell played to win, KV played to not lose.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I did tell you RDP is back...

Lowell played to win, KV played to not lose.

Gip;  You'll like this.

Last week, I was going to see Lowell-Hobart but it was cancelled because of the virus.

This week, I was thinking about going to see CP-Valpo but it was cancelled because of the virus.

So I'm at Lowell-KV and its 21-0 KV no contest at the half...and Im standing on the track between the boys and the cheerleaders thinking 'What am I doing here???

Standing in the middle of about 70 teenagers......I'm 1,000 years old...any one of them could give me the virus...and then instead of watching the Devils...next month....I'll be watching the 'Angels' play.

I had never seen a high school team down 21 at the half..come back to win......and Lowell was playing some numbers I didnt recognize..because they had kids on 'virus vacation'

..and mumbling through my face mask....I'm talking to myself.........'What are you still doing here????

...and then they kicked off the second half...//.

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Of all the “big game” atmospheres I worked in — tournament or regular season — The Inferno was my favorite. A great “high school” feel to it. Rabid hometown fans. Teams that play a physical, emotionally intense brand of football. Their 2009 semistate against Bishop Dwenger was the best game atmosphere I can recall experiencing in 40 years on the field.

I should add, no disrespect to Coach Kilmer who has done a great job, but much of the credit for the way the Lowell program has become one of the premier programs in the Region has to go to Kirk Kennedy.

Edited by Bobref

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Gip;  You'll like this.

Last week, I was going to see Lowell-Hobart but it was cancelled because of the virus.

This week, I was thinking about going to see CP-Valpo but it was cancelled because of the virus.

So I'm at Lowell-KV and its 21-0 KV no contest at the half...and Im standing on the track between the boys and the cheerleaders thinking 'What am I doing here???

Standing in the middle of about 70 teenagers......I'm 1,000 years old...any one of them could give me the virus...and then instead of watching the Devils...next month....I'll be watching the 'Angels' play.

I had never seen a high school team down 21 at the half..come back to win......and Lowell was playing some numbers I didnt recognize..because they had kids on 'virus vacation'

..and mumbling through my face mask....I'm talking to myself.........'What are you still doing here????

...and then they kicked off the second half...//.

Good stuff.  I agree, whenever I’m at the Inferno I feel like a relic amid all the students.  But there are some old fogies like me who really know their football and support their team through thick or thin.  As I told @Coach Nowlin, was still time.

How prophetic that was...

Edited by Gipper

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

Of all the “big game” atmospheres I worked in — tournament or regular season — The Inferno was my favorite. A great “high school” feel to it. Rabid hometown fans. Teams that play a physical, emotionally intense brand of football. Their 2009 semistate against Bishop Dwenger was the best game atmosphere I can recall experiencing in 40 years on the field.

I should add, no disrespect to Coach Kilmer who has done a great job, but much of the credit for the way the Lowell program has become one of the premier programs in the Region has to go to Kirk Kennedy.

Obviously that's true.....when Coach Kennedy came..Lowell hadnt had a winning season for 25 years.....

..but coach Kilmer's first four years were 22-18..and he's 65-20 the last six years......at a public school.

Its 10 years now........the present success of Lowell is all on the present coaching staff....

I won a game last year 38-36 after being down 30-6 at the half. The game had everything. Our 300 lb. Punter took off for a 19 yard gain. Our FB hit our QB for a 40 yard bomb halfway through the 3rd quarter. Shortly after that we lost the QB for the season with a torn ligament. Our freshman QB came in and actually scored the winning TD on a 5 yard QB keeper right up the middle. I think there was just under a minute left when that happened. It was his first varsity carry.

43 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I won a game last year 38-36 after being down 30-6 at the half. The game had everything. Our 300 lb. Punter took off for a 19 yard gain. Our FB hit our QB for a 40 yard bomb halfway through the 3rd quarter. Shortly after that we lost the QB for the season with a torn ligament. Our freshman QB came in and actually scored the winning TD on a 5 yard QB keeper right up the middle. I think there was just under a minute left when that happened. It was his first varsity carry.

JQWL is a 'baaaaad man' if HE won the game by himself!

With some help from a freshman QB. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Obviously that's true.....when Coach Kennedy came..Lowell hadnt had a winning season for 25 years.....

..but coach Kilmer's first four years were 22-18..and he's 65-20 the last six years......at a public school.

Its 10 years now........the present success of Lowell is all on the present coaching staff....

Both are great coaches who have the ability to have the players buy into the system.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JQWL said:

A 32-0 second half....no overtime.    That is incredible. What schools?

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

A 32-0 second half....no overtime.    That is incredible. What schools?

Crawford County and Rock Creek Academy

We outscored them 32-6 actually. After our freshman QB scored, they actually scored a fast TD. They went for 2 to tie the game and made it but the officials called holding on a WR which tackled our OLB. We held them out on the second attempt. The ensuing onside kick was kicked straight out of bounds.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 6:21 PM, oldunclemark said:

I can't remember if it was in the first half or not, but BD came back to beat Carmel a few years back after being down 24-0 up at Carmel. BD won 28-24 in regulation.

Just now, BDGiant93 said:

I can't remember if it was in the first half or not, but BD came back to beat Carmel a few years back after being down 24-0 up at Carmel. BD won 28-24 in regulation.

Sorry, that game was at BD.