Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southwestern Indiana Top 10 Power Rankings - Week 7 - 2020

After Week 6
1. Central (6-0) - Jasper game may have told us more about Jasper than Central
2. North (5-1) - QB or not, you have to show up every week. Lesson learned?
3. Southridge (6-0) - PAC title effectively clinched. Go Raiders.
4. Castle (4-1) - Win out and get a share of the SIAC.
5. Jasper (5-1) - Real sectional contender.
6. Gibson Southern (3-3) - Always impressive to shut out HH at home. Congrats Coach Hart.
7. Tell City (5-1) - The Marksmen gave it their all. Sectionals await.
8. Memorial (3-3) - Back to .500. Can they keep the mo' up against Reitz, VL and Castle?
9. Boonville (4-2) - Never out of the picture with the best athlete in SW Indiana.
10. Mater Dei (2-4) - Coach Goebel.
HM:  Linton (4-2), Mount Vernon (4-2)

8 minutes ago, 2017statechamps said:

Sectional 40 is starting to shape up nicely with TC, MD and L-S.  Forest Park has a nice team too.

Make no mistake about it, in spite of their record, Mater Dei is still the team to beat in sectional 40.  They just took down a good North team.  Yeah, I know North's QB didn't play, but North still has a good defense.  Mater Dei won by 2 scores at North.  Impressive win.

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Was thumbing around the internet. 

noticed maxpreps has a new regional ranking thing that I find is super interesting...and they’re able to compare SOS across state lines. 

figured this is as good of a thread to share it as any.

A3969F38-BCAF-42C7-B2D5-9072C084E242.thumb.png.1230d00722ec3ed401497f107da7aafa.png

Beyond the obvious with Southridge at No. 1, it's a very similar list if you take out the Kentucky teams. It also has Jasper and Castle swapped, but I think that game is probably a coin toss. Could Tell City really beat Gibson Southern? Interesting question given their results against Southridge. 

I'd be more interested in seeing the CalPreps list.

2 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Beyond the obvious with Southridge at No. 1, it's a very similar list if you take out the Kentucky teams. It also has Jasper and Castle swapped, but I think that game is probably a coin toss. Could Tell City really beat Gibson Southern? Interesting question given their results against Southridge. 

I'd be more interested in seeing the CalPreps list.

I think it would come down to how well GSs defense plays. 

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Make no mistake about it, in spite of their record, Mater Dei is still the team to beat in sectional 40.  They just took down a good North team.  Yeah, I know North's QB didn't play, but North still has a good defense.  Mater Dei won by 2 scores at North.  Impressive win.

MD offense seems to be improving a little each week. They'll have the next 2 weeks to get some kinks lined out, but I think Tell City looks like the team to beat with L-S and MD in tow. Forest Park is having a good season also. North Posey could play a spoiler if someone doesn't respect them. Sectional pairings will be interesting.

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

A reminder that to my knowledge no system exist to compare the SOS or ratings of a closed conference (SIAC) to the rest of the state or region without using last year's results or human subjectivity.

Yeah well any respectable ranking would factor in some recent history from the previous seasons because at the end of the day the SOS all goes back to who won it all or advanced the furthest in prior years....

6 weeks into a “closed” conference...and once sectionals start that starts to fall apart when they inevitably play out of conference especially in 2A. 

then it’s going to repeat next year lol. 

Unless the SIAC can get the tournament configured that they only play SIAC schools all the way through the playoffs it will never be closed 

2 hours ago, South Paw said:

MD offense seems to be improving a little each week. They'll have the next 2 weeks to get some kinks lined out, but I think Tell City looks like the team to beat with L-S and MD in tow. Forest Park is having a good season also. North Posey could play a spoiler if someone doesn't respect them. Sectional pairings will be interesting.

Have to disagree.  Mater Dei has played a much tougher schedule than Tell City.  Don't be fooled by Mater Dei's record.  They just beat the undefeated and top 5 ranked 5A Evansville North  team while Tell City lost to the 3rd ranked 3A team.  Most of Mater Dei's losses have been close and to much bigger schools (and some ranked).  Regardless of what some people may think, Mater Dei is still the team to beat in sectional 40 with all of the other teams looking up (including Tell City).  I will say, IF a team beats Mater Dei, then they should win the sectional whoever that would be.  But I don't see Mater Dei losing in the sectional this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Have to disagree.  Mater Dei has played a much tougher schedule than Tell City.  Don't be fooled by Mater Dei's record.  They just beat the undefeated and top 5 ranked 5A Evansville North  team while Tell City lost to the 3rd ranked 3A team.  Most of Mater Dei's losses have been close and to much bigger schools (and some ranked).  Regardless of what some people may think, Mater Dei is still the team to beat in sectional 40 with all of the other teams looking up (including Tell City).  I will say, IF a team beats Mater Dei, then they should win the sectional whoever that would be.  But I don't see Mater Dei losing in the sectional this year.

I would still take MD over TC, but don't oversell their win against North.  The only SIAC team that could withstand the loss of their starting QB at the last minute might be Central, and that's only because they really don't ask their QB to do much besides hand the ball to a RB.  North might be okay this week without the QB, but they will struggle in the last two games if the QB is not able to return. 

5 minutes ago, tango said:

I would still take MD over TC, but don't oversell their win against North.  The only SIAC team that could withstand the loss of their starting QB at the last minute might be Central, and that's only because they really don't ask their QB to do much besides hand the ball to a RB.  North might be okay this week without the QB, but they will struggle in the last two games if the QB is not able to return. 

I get that North was without their QB but North was supposed to also have a really good defense.  Word was that Mater Dei ran all over them.  

3 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Yeah well any respectable ranking would factor in some recent history from the previous seasons because at the end of the day the SOS all goes back to who won it all or advanced the furthest in prior years....

6 weeks into a “closed” conference...and once sectionals start that starts to fall apart when they inevitably play out of conference especially in 2A. 

then it’s going to repeat next year lol. 

Unless the SIAC can get the tournament configured that they only play SIAC schools all the way through the playoffs it will never be closed 

As far as SW Indiana, I don’t know if it’s fair to expect MD (2A) or Boonville (4A) to represent their entire conference in the playoffs. That’s where the main crossovers occur. The 3A and 5A brackets are so weird right now I’m not sure a whole lot of inferences can be drawn there either.

It will make for an interesting postseason discussion though. 

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I hope you're right and MD does win the sectional.  Do I think MD has played a tougher schedule? Yes. I'm not fooled by their record. A couple of plays here and there against Castle and Memorial, and they could easily be 4-2. They will likely finish up 5-4 barring any craziness. The rivalry game with Reitz game at the end of the year will not be a given. The MD defense is stout. The offense is still finding its way. North is good team, but 5A top 5 is a bit of a stretch. They may be 5A top 10 when they're at full strength. They squeaked by Castle first game of the year, but have yet to play Jasper and Central. Hopefully they get back to full strength soon. I still wouldn't be surprised to see them not make it out of sectionals. While Tell City doesn't have the strength of schedule, a 14-12 loss to Southridge showed they're for real. Tell City D has pitched 4 shutouts this year and held a Southridge team that was averaging 40+ before that game to 14.  Assuming you've seen Southridge, maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I tend to think not. Maybe they played down in the TC game. I know several of the TC kids and their 2021 class is a tough, athletic bunch. I understand what you're saying about MD, the history, being battle tested coming out of the SIAC, and so on. I just don't think there's a clear separation between MD, L-S and TC, and whoever shows up ready to play and executes each Friday will take the sectional. Whoever survives the sectional could play a couple more weeks.

7 hours ago, South Paw said:

I hope you're right and MD does win the sectional.  Do I think MD has played a tougher schedule? Yes. I'm not fooled by their record. A couple of plays here and there against Castle and Memorial, and they could easily be 4-2. They will likely finish up 5-4 barring any craziness. The rivalry game with Reitz game at the end of the year will not be a given. The MD defense is stout. The offense is still finding its way. North is good team, but 5A top 5 is a bit of a stretch. They may be 5A top 10 when they're at full strength. They squeaked by Castle first game of the year, but have yet to play Jasper and Central. Hopefully they get back to full strength soon. I still wouldn't be surprised to see them not make it out of sectionals. While Tell City doesn't have the strength of schedule, a 14-12 loss to Southridge showed they're for real. Tell City D has pitched 4 shutouts this year and held a Southridge team that was averaging 40+ before that game to 14.  Assuming you've seen Southridge, maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I tend to think not. Maybe they played down in the TC game. I know several of the TC kids and their 2021 class is a tough, athletic bunch. I understand what you're saying about MD, the history, being battle tested coming out of the SIAC, and so on. I just don't think there's a clear separation between MD, L-S and TC, and whoever shows up ready to play and executes each Friday will take the sectional. Whoever survives the sectional could play a couple more weeks.

No, I hope I'm wrong and Linton wins sectional 40.  LOL  But that would be a homer calling it and I won't do that.  Linton is a very young team this year.  They still sometimes play with the tendencies of youth.  They are still a good team but not good enough that I would say they could beat all of the other teams in 40.  Mater Dei doesn't play ANY 1A or 2A teams on their schedule.  Playing in the SIAC they are the smallest team in that conference.  They play two 5A, two 3A and five 4A teams.  And keep in mind some of those teams are usually ranked in their classes every year.  This year they have lost 6 - 3 to 5A Castle but just beat 5A North by two scores.  And it was AT North.  Tell City has played two 3A schools and beat Heritage Hills 32 - 0 but this is probably the worst team that HH has had since 2013.  I believe they lost a lot to graduation since they were 14 - 1 last year and played at state.  Tell City just lost to Southridge 14 - 12.  So I based picking Mater Dei over Tell City on those facts and not what MD has done historically.   Had Tell City won against Southridge, I might call it a bit different.  At any rate, I'm hoping for a few good draws in the sectional so we get some good games.   After reading this, you'd think I was a Mater Dei fan.  Trust me, I'm far from it.  Just giving props to those with good teams and good programs.  I get that a team can have a good game on any given night, but so far on current resumes, I'd have to say Mater Dei is still top dog in 40.  And don't forget, this isn't Coach Goebel's first rodeo either.   Best of luck and good health to all teams in sectional 40!

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 11:01 PM, Alduflux said:

A reminder that to my knowledge no system exist to compare the SOS or ratings of a closed conference (SIAC) to the rest of the state or region without using last year's results or human subjectivity.

I think CalPreps uses some sort of measure of historical program success in their system. Sagarin does, but it fades away when all the teams are "connected" across the state -- usually Week 4, maybe Week 6 this year. For closed conferences, Sagarin must keep the previous year's success as a factor. I don't think there's much to compare between two groups of teams which share no common opponents, otherwise.