Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ohio #21 Cincinnati Elder @ Indiana #1 Indianapolis Cathedral

I expect the Irish to create more of a scoring gap in this game and the streak of 3 games with 100+ penalty yards given up comes to an end.  Elder is 3-2, lost to both Saint Xavier and La Salle which are our common opponents.

Irish 49

Elder 21

By the way - anyone know if attendance criteria has changed now Indiana is in stage 5 (as of Saturday)?  I keep hearing mixed messages about attendance and wonder if anyone can set it straight! 

31 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I expect the Irish to create more of a scoring gap in this game and the streak of 3 games with 100+ penalty yards given up comes to an end.  Elder is 3-2, lost to both Saint Xavier and La Salle which are our common opponents.

Irish 49

Elder 21

By the way - anyone know if attendance criteria has changed now Indiana is in stage 5 (as of Saturday)?  I keep hearing mixed messages about attendance and wonder if anyone can set it straight! 

Think we need to give Elder a little more credit. Of the 3 Cincy teams Cathedral plays this year, Elder has the most explosive offense in my opinion. Played an absolute barn burner against a full strength LaSalle team in week 1 which saw them lose in double OT on a successful 2pt conversion from LaSalle and lead X going into the 4th and gave up 21 straight points in a matter of 6 game minutes. That being said, still think Cathedral has the edge on both sides of the LOS and should be able to win that battle. Elder will score points, but not enough to outlast the Irish.

Cathedral 38

Elder 28

3 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Irish 49

Elder 21

https://fox59.com/news/coronavirus/mayor-health-department-director-providing-update-on-marion-county-covid-19-measures/
"Up to 1,500 individuals are allowed to attend outdoor athletic events for high schools; indoor events can have 500 people or 50% capacity of the venue, whichever is less. Those rules, Caine stressed, apply only to high school athletic events."

I think Elder is as dangerous as either of the previous GCL teams. They took a full-strength LaSalle team to OT and had St. X on the ropes until late. This is an extremely dangerous game. I would expect nothing less than a 3 or 7 point game like X/LaSalle. I’ll cautiously make the Vegas line of  Cathedral -3.5 due to home field. Cathedral is 1-5 against Cincy Elder with our last win coming in 1930. 

GCL Pre-season Scouting Report: 

Elder
Coach Doug Ramsey's Panthers took some major hits on the roster due to graduation with the GCL-South's top rusher and No. 2 passer Matthew Luebbe gone as well as tight end Joe Royer and offensive lineman Jakob James to Ohio State and lineman Luke Kandra to Louisville. Top tackler Colton Sandhas is also gone.

But, they tend to replenish in Price Hill with many of the youngsters growing up dreaming of playing in The Pit. Many in last year's shadows will now have the opportunity to shine, including junior Drew Ramsey who followed Elder's recent tradition of being in the offense as a receiver/back while waiting for his turn at quarterback. The Panthers remaining have much to prove after falling short in the DI finallast December after entering the fourth quarter with a 14-7 lead on Pickerington Central. 

"People are going to doubt you now because you think about the guys we lost," Ramsey said. "Two guys going to Ohio State, a guy going to Louisville, a quarterback that threw for 4,000, rushed for 2,000. We lost a lot of talent. That's what happens in sports. Some of these guys have to assume those roles and play at a high level."

Drew Ramsey of Elder runs the ball against Ryle Sept. 27, 2019.

Players to watch: Drew Ramsey was 3-for-5 passing last season, but two of those went for touchdowns. Back at his natural position, those numbers should improve. As a utility back as a sophomore, Ramsey ran for 319 yards and four touchdowns and caught 61 passes for 633 yards and five scores. One of his targets could be tight end David Larkins, who backed up Joe Royer last season. Larkins has committed to play at Appalachian State.

"Why not us?" Larkins said. "Just because we lost so many people, so many high-rated guys, why can't we make a run for state again?"

On the line, Drew Beckenhaupt will lead the way. The 6-foot-4, 290-pounder has committed to the Toledo Rockets. 

@IndianaWrestlingGuy is that correct, 90 years since the Irish last beat Elder (not that they play alot), but that losing stretch predates my grandfather, a Cathedral grad (true southsider) by less than 10 years. Good luck to the Irish on ending that drought. Hope all these GCL games are multi-year and Cathedral gets to spend half the season in Cincy next year. 

This is the biggest game of the season for the young Irish. Can they successfully run the gauntlet of 4 2019 State Champs and 1 Runner-up (Carmel, Chatard, St.X, Lasalle, and now Elder) to have a shot at Center Grove for rare Indiana Top25 National Showcase? Or will the schedule catch up with us and/or another sloppy week of penalties/turnovers end the streak? 

An enormous trap game w Brebeuf looms next Friday, but a rarified Cathedral legacy team is at stake this weekend with Elder. We better be ready. They are playing for the pride of Cincy and the GCL. Let’s go, lads! 

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

This is the biggest game of the season for the young Irish. Can they successfully run the gauntlet of 4 2019 State Champs and 1 Runner-up (Carmel, Chatard, St.X, Lasalle, and now Elder)

Your point is well taken. But to be scrupulously accurate, St. X and Elder couldn’t both be 2019 champs, since they play in the same division.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I think Elder is as dangerous as either of the previous GCL teams. They took a full-strength LaSalle team to OT and had St. X on the ropes until late. This is an extremely dangerous game. I would expect nothing less than a 3 or 7 point game like X/LaSalle. I’ll cautiously make the Vegas line of  Cathedral -3.5 due to home field. Cathedral is 1-5 against Cincy Elder with our last win coming in 1930. 

GCL Pre-season Scouting Report: 

Elder
Coach Doug Ramsey's Panthers took some major hits on the roster due to graduation with the GCL-South's top rusher and No. 2 passer Matthew Luebbe gone as well as tight end Joe Royer and offensive lineman Jakob James to Ohio State and lineman Luke Kandra to Louisville. Top tackler Colton Sandhas is also gone.

But, they tend to replenish in Price Hill with many of the youngsters growing up dreaming of playing in The Pit. Many in last year's shadows will now have the opportunity to shine, including junior Drew Ramsey who followed Elder's recent tradition of being in the offense as a receiver/back while waiting for his turn at quarterback. The Panthers remaining have much to prove after falling short in the DI finallast December after entering the fourth quarter with a 14-7 lead on Pickerington Central. 

"People are going to doubt you now because you think about the guys we lost," Ramsey said. "Two guys going to Ohio State, a guy going to Louisville, a quarterback that threw for 4,000, rushed for 2,000. We lost a lot of talent. That's what happens in sports. Some of these guys have to assume those roles and play at a high level."

Drew Ramsey of Elder runs the ball against Ryle Sept. 27, 2019.

Players to watch: Drew Ramsey was 3-for-5 passing last season, but two of those went for touchdowns. Back at his natural position, those numbers should improve. As a utility back as a sophomore, Ramsey ran for 319 yards and four touchdowns and caught 61 passes for 633 yards and five scores. One of his targets could be tight end David Larkins, who backed up Joe Royer last season. Larkins has committed to play at Appalachian State.

"Why not us?" Larkins said. "Just because we lost so many people, so many high-rated guys, why can't we make a run for state again?"

On the line, Drew Beckenhaupt will lead the way. The 6-foot-4, 290-pounder has committed to the Toledo Rockets. 

Agreed, they look good on film and are well coached...Penalties and turnovers should decide this one.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, Footballking16 said:

Yes. Dad is the head coach.

I was bored and found Peyton's bio from IU. Apparently, the parents have an affinity for naming their boys after famous QB's:

Montana Ramsey

Peyton Ramsey

Drew (Bledsoe) Ramsey

I think it's cool for Cathedral that thye can essentially call themselves GCL South Champions with a win tonight. I grossly underestimated La Salle. I'll take Cathedral by about 6 this time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral sweeps the GCL South with a dominating 36-14 win. Elder had less than 150 yards of total offense. 

Congrats to the Irish and Hoosier state.

ETA: Any direct feedback from any of the GCL fans at the games during the tailgate or game? Are they aware at least one other team (Center Grove) is likely on or above Cathedral's level this year and teams like Chatard and Carmel wouldn't be cakewalks?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Congrats to the Irish and Hoosier state.

ETA: Any direct feedback from any of the GCL fans at the games during the tailgate or game? Are they aware at least one other team (Center Grove) is likely on or above Cathedral's level this year and teams like Chatard and Carmel wouldn't be cakewalks?

Ironically, the best team in Ohio right now is a Div. II school, Archbishop Hoban from Akron.

• Like 1