Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

This is why I love High School Football and being a part of a team.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NorthKnox94 said:

I just got a chance to read this and I am so thankful to be able to meet people like this and work with some top notch school systems.  

A Positive Story.docx 12.67 kB · 6 downloads

    In this strange unpredictable world of Covid-19, I have a very positive story I would like to share with you. Last week my team, the Rensselaer Central Bombers prepared very hard for our next opponent, the Lafayette Central Catholic Knights. We were scheduled for a major Hoosier Conference showdown to be played at their place. My team came to school wearing their game jerseys all fired up for the big game. At 9:00am after my first class I teach, our school athletic director, informed me that the game had been cancelled by Central Catholic due to Covid issues. With less than 10 hours to go before kick off, I expressed to our athletic director that I would like to see if any team is out there available and willing to play on such short notice and he agreed.

Within an hour we had our opponent.

    The North Knox Warriors had two games already cancelled on them this season due to Covid. Pike Central cancelled on them for last Friday. As fate had it, by 11am on Friday, our athletic director, Ken Hickman had reached out to North Knox’s athletic director, Kent Doades and the next thing I knew was we would be playing a football game on Saturday. With North Knox being 3 1/2 hours away, the next issue was where would this game be played?

    That’s where this story gets even better. Covington High School was contacted to see if they would be willing to host this game as a neutral site. The athletic director there, Trent McCormick was gracious enough to accept the game as a neutral site host. So, this past Saturday the Rensselaer Central Bombers and the North Knox Warriors got together in Covington, Indiana and played a 48 minute game of high school football. Both communities came to Covington to support their teams. For two teams that had never played each other in any sport, this was a first. Hats off to all three schools and their athletic directors and administration for allowing this to happen. Needless to say it was a beautiful afternoon of pads popping, fans cheering, and sportsmanship by all. It was a great time by all! I am not going to share the score with you because it doesn’t matter. What mattered was we played!

    Finally, thank you to all of you at the IHSAA for having the foresight to allow us to play high school sports this Fall. It has meant so much for our student athletes, coaches, parents, and communities. Through your guidance and leadership it is amazing to see us entering Week 7 in football. As Coach Brohm says so well at Purdue, “Let’s Play Football!”

          

             Respectfully Submitted,

                      Chris Meeks 

                      Head Football Coach 

                      Rensselaer Central High School

THAT'S MY HEAD COACH!!!   

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who know me know that I have posted in the past:   HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL, THE GREATEST GAME ON THE PLANET!!!  This story is just one more reason that I have made that statement.  For something like this to occur (and especially at the last minute) warms my old heart.  To see not two, but three schools come together and allow these student athletes to play the game they love is well, just heart warming.  Considering how many teams have not gotten to play this year, I'm genuinely happy for those who can.  It goes beyond "kudos" for making something like this happen.  As a fan, I give my humble thanks to the 3 programs that provided this opportunity for these young athletes and their fans.  And as a fan of football, I now have 2 more teams to follow (I already followed North Knox since they are on Linton's schedule).  No comment about a Linton/Rensy Central series?  

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

People who know me know that I have posted in the past:   HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL, THE GREATEST GAME ON THE PLANET!!!  This story is just one more reason that I have made that statement.  For something like this to occur (and especially at the last minute) warms my old heart.  To see not two, but three schools come together and allow these student athletes to play the game they love is well, just heart warming.  Considering how many teams have not gotten to play this year, I'm genuinely happy for those who can.  It goes beyond "kudos" for making something like this happen.  As a fan, I give my humble thanks to the 3 programs that provided this opportunity for these young athletes and their fans.  And as a fan of football, I now have 2 more teams to follow (I already followed North Knox since they are on Linton's schedule).  No comment about a Linton/Rensy Central series?  

I would love to add the Miners to our non conference slate, just do not see any room 

Hoosier Conference agreed years ago to help each other out with fililng schedules for the each side of the hoosier:  So that is why we have Western and Northwestern on there:  that just leaves 2 other weeks:   KV week is not going anywhere, county rival and play for cracker barrell each year.   That leaves North Newton, who myself and many locals as well, do not want to see that gone, 20 min trip for each school, have playing each other since Morrooco High days, now North Newton after consolidation. 

So in typical year there is just no room

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I would love to add the Miners to our non conference slate, just do not see any room 

Hoosier Conference agreed years ago to help each other out with fililng schedules for the each side of the hoosier:  So that is why we have Western and Northwestern on there:  that just leaves 2 other weeks:   KV week is not going anywhere, county rival and play for cracker barrell each year.   That leaves North Newton, who myself and many locals as well, do not want to see that gone, 20 min trip for each school, have playing each other since Morrooco High days, now North Newton after consolidation. 

So in typical year there is just no room

Kinda figured it would have to do with the Hoosier and your schedule.  I think it would make for an epic series between the Bombers and the Miners.   Even if they did it for only 2 or 4 years, it would be some great games.  It's just my opinion, but I think both prgrams are similar.  Oh well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Kinda figured it would have to do with the Hoosier and your schedule.  I think it would make for an epic series between the Bombers and the Miners.   Even if they did it for only 2 or 4 years, it would be some great games.  It's just my opinion, but I think both prgrams are similar.  Oh well.

Nothing better than the present... get that series started come Turkey Day !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hornetcoach said:

Trent McCormick is a class act!

If this is the same Trent McCormick that was the wrestling coach at Yorktown (which I am confident it is), he is absolutely an amazing guy, my brother wrestled for him, as did I for a short period of time. Great dude, and much respect!

Edited by GoodKn19ht
Forgot to ad parentheses comment
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Yes, I was the coach in charge of pre game setting up the camera's and whatnot, chatting with group of Warrior Coaches well before pre game started.  

Then I was in the stands in the corner as I am "upstairs"  :classic_biggrin:

I did meet you then...I am the specials teams and running backs coach...we stood around pregame and talked for a minute...glad to meet you and put a face with the name on here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NorthKnox94 said:

I did meet you then...I am the specials teams and running backs coach...we stood around pregame and talked for a minute...glad to meet you and put a face with the name on here.

Awesome!!!   Great set up on the return Doade had too!!    Back to the drawing board for me as that kickoff team my gig too!!    Cheers 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

But, did you go to the Beef House for the post-game meal?

Could not find a Booster to splurge haha 

But some of our families and kids did go but not I  

I was on the bus with our wifi dropping Hudl film and enjoying the team provided granola bars and cheese crackers 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Could not find a Booster to splurge haha 

But some of our families and kids did go but not I  

I was on the bus with our wifi dropping Hudl film and enjoying the team provided granola bars and cheese crackers 

 

Got it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...