Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  47 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

The New Normal/Political Correctness Run Amok Thread

Muda69

Shame - Today's wimpy, lame kids apparently can't handle song lyrics from Queen.......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12424449/We-woke-Classic-Queen-song-Fat-Bottomed-Girls-mysteriously-dropped-groups-new-Greatest-Hits-collection.html

EXCLUSIVE: We will woke you! Classic Queen song Fat Bottomed Girls is mysteriously dropped from the group’s new Greatest Hits collection

• Fat Bottomed Girls has been dropped from the group's Greatest Hits collection 
  • The 1978 track has been enjoyed by generations of fans 

By KATIE HIND

PUBLISHED: 17:01 EDT, 19 August 2023 UPDATED: 17:15 EDT, 19 August 2023

It is one of Queen's best-loved songs but Fat Bottomed Girls has been mysteriously dropped from the group's new Greatest Hits collection.

The 1978 track, which was written by guitarist Brian May, has been enjoyed by generations of fans as a humorous and hard-rocking tribute to a young man's appreciation of fuller-figured ladies.

But 45 years later, it appears that lyrics such as 'left alone with big fat Fanny, she was such a naughty nanny, big woman, you made a bad boy out of me' and 'fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round' have been hit by the woke cancel culture.

It was such a popular hit for Queen that it appeared fourth on the band's original 1981 greatest hits album along with Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Stop Me Now and We Will Rock You.

But last week it was nowhere to be seen when Universal Records announced they would be releasing a version of the record on Yoto, the new audio platform aimed at young people.+3

The 1978 track, which was written by guitarist Brian May, has been enjoyed by generations of fans as a humorous and hard-rocking tribute to a young man's appreciation of fuller-figured ladies

But 45 years later, it appears that lyrics such as 'left alone with big fat Fanny, she was such a naughty nanny, big woman, you made a bad boy out of me' and 'fat bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round' have been hit by the woke cancel culture

The move has left music industry insiders bemused, with bosses insisting that Fat Bottomed Girls has wrongly been singled out as it is 'merely a bit of fun'.

One told The Mail on Sunday: 'It is the talk of the music industry, nobody can work out why such a good-natured, fun song can't be acceptable in today's society.

'It is woke gone mad. Why not appreciate people of all shapes and sizes like society is saying we should, rather than get rid of it. 

The original sleeve for the song, which was taken from Queen's album Jazz, featured a scantily clad female riding a bicycle but was altered after some stores refused to stock it.

The new version was the same image with knickers drawn over the woman. 

May told Mojo magazine in 2008: 'I wrote it with Fred in mind, as you do, especially if you've got a great singer who likes fat bottomed girls... or boys.'

The newly released Yoto greatest hits album, released in collaboration with Queen's record label Universal, is aimed at introducing the band to a younger audience.

• 2 weeks later...

12-Year-Old Boy Removed From School Over 'Don't Tread on Me' Patch: https://reason.com/2023/08/29/jaiden-colorado-gadsden-flag-dont-tread-on-me-school/

Jaiden is a 12-year-old boy who attends the Vanguard School in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He is the subject of a video that went viral on social media; it shows the boy and his mother confronting a school administrator who asserts that the Gadsden flag patch on his backpack violates district policy.

"The reason that we do not want the flag displayed is due to its origins with slavery and the slave trade," says the administrator.

On Monday, school officials removed Jaiden from class due to his Gadsden flag patch. His mother has fought back against this disciplinary action, explaining that the flag—a coiled snake above the phrase "Don't tread on me"—is not a pro-slavery image; it has its origins in the Revolutionary War and was intended as a symbol of resistance to British tyranny.

District officials did not respond to a request for comment, but Libertas Institute President Connor Boyack—who first publicized Jaiden's situation—shared an email that they sent to Jaiden's mother, in which the district reiterated its position that the Gadsden flag is an "unacceptable symbol" tied to "white-supremacy" and "patriot" groups.

It's true that some white supremacists have appropriated the flag. But so have classical liberals and libertariansincluding Reason (check out our 404 Error page). Some lefty groups have cited Gadsden too. There's even a pro-LGBT version.

In any case, Jaiden's mother is absolutely correct that the flag's origins have nothing to do with racism or slavery. In their email, district officials approvingly cited a 2016 Washington Post article by Reason's Eugene Volokh evaluating an Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) case. The case in question involved a post office employee whose Gadsden flag hat had generated racial harassment claims. But ultimately, the EEOC declined to rule that the Gadsden flag was a racist symbol.

The Supreme Court has ruled that K-12 officials have significant authority to limit students' free expression rights in order to promote classroom cohesion. But the school cannot discriminate against Jaiden's viewpoint by wrongly and arbitrarily declaring the Gadsden flag to be a hate symbol.

"There is nothing inherently disruptive about a student displaying a Gadsden flag patch on his backpack," writes Aaron Terr, director of public advocacy at the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression. "Public school administrators can't ban the expression of an idea, symbol, or viewpoint just because they personally dislike it."

Democratic Colorado Gov. Jared Polis also came to Jaiden's defense, describing the flag's message as "iconic" in a post on X.

"The Gadsden flag is a proud symbol of the American revolution and [an] iconic warning to Britain or any government not to violate the liberties of Americans," wrote Polis. "It appears on popular American medallions and challenge coins through today and Ben Franklin also adopted it to symbolize the union of the 13 colonies. It's a great teaching moment for a history lesson!"

When reached for comment by Reason, Polis reaffirmed his comment and noted that he also agreed with sentiments expressed by Rep. Ted Lieu (D–Calif.).

"I oppose banning the Gadsden flag in schools for the same reason I oppose conservative schools districts that ban LGBTQ flags in schools," wrote Lieu. "Let kids be their authentic selves and give them a world of information—students can figure out what's important to them."

• 1 month later...

Men took over a job fair intended for women and nonbinary tech workers: https://www.npr.org/2023/10/05/1203845886/women-tech-conference-men-grace-hopper

An event meant to be a career-builder for women and nonbinary tech workers turned into yet another symbol of the industry's gender imbalance after self-identifying men showed up in droves.

The Grace Hopper Celebration takes the name of a pioneering computer scientist and bills itself the world's largest annual gathering of women and nonbinary tech workers.

Tickets for the four-day event, which took place in Orlando, Fla., last week, ranged in price from $649 to $1,298, and included a coveted chance to meet one-on-one with sponsors such as Apple, Amazon, Salesforce and Google.

With some 30,000 annual attendees, that career expo was already a competitive space, according to past participants. But this year, access was even more limited by what the organizers described as "an increase in participation of self-identifying males."

Videos posted to social media showed scenes of men flocking around recruiters, running into event venues and cutting in front of women to get an interview slot. Footage showed a sea of people, hundreds deep, waiting in line for a chance to enter the career expo.

As one poster put it, "the Kens had taken over Barbieland."

Some of the attendees had lied about their gender identity on their conference registrations, said Cullen White, the chief impact officer with AnitaB.org, the nonprofit that organizes the conference.

"Judging by the stacks and stacks of resumes you're passing out, you did so because you thought you could come here and take up space to try and get jobs," White said during the conference's plenary address. "So let me be perfectly clear: Stop. Right now. Stop."

Tech jobs were once a safe bet for workers looking for stable, lucrative careers. But an industrywide wave of layoffs earlier this year left hundreds of thousands of workers suddenly without a job.

Women were disproportionately affected by those cuts, making up 69.2% of all tech layoffs, according to The Women Tech Network. And that's on top of the industry's ongoing gender imbalance. Women hold just 26% of jobs across all STEM occupations and even less — 24% — in computer fields, according to the latest available data from the U.S. Department of Labor.

Bo Young Lee, AnitaB.org's president, said in a video post that the shift in demographics had robbed the conference of the joyous and supportive atmosphere that had helped previous conference-goers grow.

"We tried to create a safe space. And this week, we saw the outside world creep in," she said. "I can't guarantee you that we'll have solutions tomorrow. But I can promise you that we'll be working on solutions, and we won't do it in a bubble."

Earlier in the week, the organization addressed calls to ban men from the conference by saying that "male allyship is necessary" to work toward overall inclusivity and also that federal law prohibited discrimination based on gender.

NPR reached out to AnitaB.org for additional comment but had not received a response by the time this article was published.

I don't know.  I find this whole thing rather humorous.

A real quagmire......Was this supposed to be an inclusive event, or just a "sexist" event?

Never heard of "self-identifying men" .....after googling the term, it Kinda sounds like a trans.....maybe....

Can we please just get back to male/female?

• 1 month later...

https://reason.com/2023/11/09/football-eye-black-isnt-blackface/

When La Jolla High School played Morse High School under the Friday night lights on October 13, students from the surrounding San Diego area filled the stadium to cheer on their prospective teams. Making posters, dawning face and body paint, yelling chants, and sporting jerseys were all part of the electric football game atmosphere.

J.A., a middle-schooler from Muirlands Middle School, attended the game with another student and that student's mother. To show support for his team, J.A. let his friend put eye black paint on his face. A security guard even complimented the design. The game was largely uneventful with La Jolla winning handedly (56–6). But almost a week later, J.A. was called into a disciplinary meeting with his parents at Muirlands. 

In that meeting, J.A. was told he would be suspended from school for two days and was no longer allowed to attend future athletic events because he wore "blackface" to the football game. The suspension notice only specified that he was being suspended because he "painted his face black at a football game," and the alleged offense was marked as "Offensive comment, intent to harm." J.A.'s father told the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), a First Amendment nonprofit, that no one complained or said anything negative about his son's eye black while at the game. The school's principal also failed to specify how they found out about the incident.

As Aaron Terr, director of public advocacy at FIRE, notes in a November 8 letter to Muirlands Middle School, "J.A.'s nondisruptive, objectively inoffensive" face paint is absolutely constitutionally protected expression.

In the letter, FIRE reminds school officials that "public school students do not shed their constitutional rights at the schoolhouse gate." It argues that "the First Amendment protects J.A.'s non-disruptive expression of team spirit via a style commonly used by athletes and fans."

Eye black applied under the eyes and even on the cheeks is not blackface, and to suggest as such is a gross mischaracterization. Blackface is dark makeup applied all over the face to mimic, exaggerate, and mock black people. J.A. was simply cheering on his local football team with friends—and there is no reason to punish him for that.

In the 1930s, Babe Ruth was the first professional athlete seen wearing eye black. Ruth believed that black grease worn under the eyes blocked out the sun's glare during games. Now athletes may wear eye black to prevent glare, to hype themselves up, or maybe just because they are superstitious. And fans wear it to show support and spirit for their beloved teams—just like they would wear a hat, jersey, or even body paint.

I proudly wore eye black for water polo games and swim meets in high school. We called it "war paint." And last Sunday, while I jumped, cheered, and booed at Lincoln Financial Field while the Philadelphia Eagles faced off against the Dallas Cowboys, it was hard to find a player not wearing eye black. 

"Muirlands Middle School administrators should make time this Sunday to watch a few NFL games," Terr tells Reason. "Maybe then they will realize that athletes and fans often liberally smear eye black on their faces, whether to look cool, show team spirit, or intimidate their opponents. The student engaged in a fun and harmless form of self-expression."

FIRE is calling on Muirlands to lift the ban on J.A.'s attendance at future athletic events and to remove the infraction from his record.

• 4 weeks later...

Crazy kids - Don't they realize it's OK to be "racist" if you are liberals, donating to liberal candidates?  https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/trader-joe-s/recipients?id=D000042254 

FTR - SF doesn't have a Trader Joes in the local sea, but have visited the store on occasion and will again, so I (really) DC.....

https://nypost.com/2023/12/07/lifestyle/trader-joes-racist-product-labeling-practice-called-out-on-tiktok/

Trader Joe’s ‘racist’ product labeling practice once again lands grocer in social media hot seat

POV: Another Gen Z Trader Joe’s shopper finds out there’s a Trader José.

The popular Monrovia, Calif.-based grocer has once again gone viral over a decades-old product-naming practice that has previously been referred to as “racist.”

A youthful TikToker named Kyi (@kyeatdaays) reignited the debate after calling out the free-spirited retailer over the way it chooses names for various packaged foods, based on their imagined country of origin.

Kyi, who currently has just 161 followers on the popular app, managed to snag 2.1 million views, roughly 150,000 likes, and scores of comments on the clip.

She used the popular point-of-view method to illustrate her alleged surprise, upon realizing that a frozen sack of Mandarin Orange Chicken — one of the store’s more obsessed over items — was actually branded as “Trader Ming’s.”

In a caption, she wrote: “POV: U just found out Trader Joe’s does THIS to cultural foods.”

The viral moment calls to mind a 2020 brouhaha begun after a San Francisco Bay Area high school student delivered a petition to the company, requesting that Trader Joe’s cancel the unusual tradition.

Viewers of the new video expressed their own opinions on the subject, many of them lighthearted, with plenty of them expressing support for the retailer.

With more than 560 stores in 43 states, most Americans have already seen the labels, typically found on foods that can be attributed to one specific culture.

“For the Italian food it’s Trader Giottos,” one commenter pointed out.

“Big missed opportunity to call it Trader Zhou’s,” joked another.

Others confessed to enjoying the “Trader Jacques” on various French foods, like the store’s signature wheel of brie cheese.

“As a Mexican, I rather enjoy Trader Jose,” said one happy shopper.

“I thought they were all traders that know each other and sell each other their own foods,” one viewer deadpanned.

Other commenters were surprised that the discussion was taking place at all, saying they thought that the store had halted the naming practice years ago.

“I could have swore they said they were going to stop doing this … omg,” said one, likely referring to a statement Trader Joe’s issued after receiving the 2020 petition.

But after the company’s initial pledge to make the change, it quickly backtracked, saying in another statement that it would be sticking by its longstanding tradition.

Finally someone demonstrated to a liberal that if you want to toss around slurs like "Transphobic" and "Bigot" you should be prepared when a "slur" like "Misogynist" gets tossed back at you.

https://news.yahoo.com/riley-gaines-hits-back-squad-215754999.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACGYd4dkQVwF0OvlKrhZrpRg8XRDraXzZMlE7oPeOhv68ZZkbJoQNmAcgM2wtOlHONqvNvg7vmNBS1QtpoQtgeCEfbTv480HBkbVFsKXa1uiseiZxJQ_KQm-1oO4r5_ackIkdvhL_1Kq00-N8CcVEjTnM-6CH8vir8NKDDcRBVgy

"There's a place for everybody to play sports in this country," Gaines said, noting transgender Americans were included in her view. "But unsafe, unfair and discriminatory practices must stop."

"Inclusion cannot be prioritized over safety and fairness," the NCAA legend concluded in her opening remarks. "And ranking member Lee, if my testimony makes me ‘transphobic,’ then I believe your opening monologue makes you a misogynist."

Lee called a point of order, urging that Gaines' remarks to be struck from the record, but the point of order was withdrawn after a brief discussion.

image.png.5127c3814d3d45eab3474a9c2f186c6c.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but January 6 was NOT an insurrection.  NOW - If the now former President had, say maybe, called up the 101st airborne and ordered them to hold the Capital and then never left, then I could understand calling his actions an insurrection and would SF whole-heartedly support him being disqualified to run for the office of President ever again.

So in 2020 - 2021 in the midst of the BLM riots when Representative(s) Pelosi, Cortez, Pressley, Watters, and many more supported the rampaging protests all over the country - even Kamala Harris is quoted "protesters should not ever let up". https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/15/fact-check-quotes-democratic-leaders-riots-out-context/6588222002/ Where is the outrage over that?  Actual damage was done to many cities and lives were lost during those riots.  Then the city of Portland Oregon was taken over by a group of anarchists. 

But on January 6, 2021, President Donald Trump utters "March to the Capital peacefully and make your voices heard" and is accused of inciting an insurrection. 

Today's left wing is using these accusations and selling them as proven truths to convince enough voters to discredit, and disqualify Trump as a viable candidate. The fact that a State's Supreme Court would hear this case from a lower court, let alone turn the lower court's decision over demonstrates the overt partisanship of that court.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a guy whose career includes air travel at approximately 60 - 75 legs per year (historically) SF's confidence in the airline industry's governing body (the FAA) that is prioritizing DEI over safety - is hereby greatly compromised......  

https://www.foxnews.com/us/faas-diversity-push-includes-focus-hiring-people-severe-intellectual-psychiatric-disabilities?fbclid=IwAR1dJMTF31jzKk3ojHvnav-z232APnHa-0LFGB_LWkViTRM7kCQLj6QyQU4

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is actively recruiting workers who suffer "severe intellectual" disabilities, psychiatric problems and other mental and physical conditions under a diversity and inclusion hiring initiative spelled out on the agency’s website. 

"Targeted disabilities are those disabilities that the Federal government, as a matter of policy, has identified for special emphasis in recruitment and hiring," the FAA’s website states. "They include hearing, vision, missing extremities, partial paralysis, complete paralysis, epilepsy, severe intellectual disability, psychiatric disability and dwarfism."

The initiative is part of the FAA’s "Diversity and Inclusion" hiring plan, which says "diversity is integral to achieving FAA's mission of ensuring safe and efficient travel across our nation and beyond." The FAA’s website shows the agency’s guidelines on diversity hiring were last updated on March 23, 2022.

The FAA, which is overseen by Secretary Pete Buttigieg's Department of Transportation, is a government agency charged with regulating civil aviation and employs roughly 45,000 people.

• 4 weeks later...

SF is guessing Disney & Lucas Films is potentially re-thinking it's wokeness levels......

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4451944-former-mandalorian-actor-sues-disney-lucasfilm-with-musk-backing/

Gina Carano, known for her role in “The Mandalorian,” is suing Disney and Lucasfilm for discrimination and wrongful termination, and X owner Elon Musk is backing the suit.

Carano was fired in Feb. 2021 by the production company behind the “Star Wars” spinoff for what it called “abhorrent” social media posts from the actress. She compared Nazi Germany to politics today and mocked face masks worn during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The lawsuit, filed in the Central District of California, claims Carano was terminated “all because she dared voice her own opinions, on social media platforms and elsewhere, and stood up to the online bully mob who demanded her compliance with their extreme progressive ideology.”

Lucasfilm said at the time of her firing that the company did not intend on employing the actress in the future. The company said her posts “denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

X, the company formerly known as Twitter, posted on its platform that the company is committed to free speech and is “proud to provide” financial support for Carano’s lawsuit to empower the actress “to seek vindication of her free speech rights on X and the ability to work without bullying, harassment, or discrimination.”

Carano alleged that the company “chose to target a woman while looking the other way when it came to men” in the lawsuit, since the company “took no action” against male actors who also posted controversial statements online.

She posted on X that during her career with Disney and Lucasfilm she was “being hunted down” and that her words were “consistently twisted to demonize & dehumanize” her.

“A couple months ago @ElonMusk tweeted that if you had been fired from using the platform (X) for exercising your right to free speech, he would like to offer these people legal representation,” her post said. “To my surprise, a few months ago I received an email from a lawyer who had been hired by X to look into my story & many others.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A premium example of a "Hypocrite"

https://nypost.com/2024/03/27/real-estate/jon-stewart-found-to-have-overvalued-his-nyc-home-by-829/

Jon Stewart benefited by 829% ‘overvalue’ of his NYC home even as he labels Trump’s civil case ‘not victimless’

But it didn’t take long for internet sleuths to look into Stewart’s own property history, which shows his New York City penthouse sold for 829% more than its assessed value, records confirmed by The Post reveal.

In 2014, Stewart sold his 6,280-square-foot Tribeca duplex to financier Parag Pande for $17.5 million.

The property’s asking price at that time is not available in listing records.

But according to 2013-2014 assessor records obtained by The Post, the property had the estimated market-value at only $1.882 million.

2013-2014 Property assessment of Jon Stewart's Tribeca penthouse.6
The 2013-2014 property assessment of Jon Stewart’s Tribeca penthouse.NY Gov

The actual assessor valuation was even lower, at $847,174.

Records also show that Stewart paid significantly lower property taxes, which were calculated based on that assessor valuation price — precisely what he called Trump out for doing in his Monday monologue.

Pande, who purchased the penthouse from Stewart, then resold the property at a nearly 26% loss, according to the Real Deal — at just over $13 million — in 2021.

Timothy Pool, a political commentator known for more right-leaning views, alleged on X that Stewart was being a hypocrite.

• 3 weeks later...

NPR's Uri Berliner Has Shown That DEI Is About Punishing Heresy: https://reason.com/2024/04/17/nprs-uri-berliner-has-shown-that-dei-is-about-punishing-heresy/

Uri Berliner, a long-time editor at National Public Radio (NPR), has resigned from the media organization.

His saga began last week after he published an essay for Bari Weiss' The Free Press in which he criticized creeping liberal groupthink at his place of employment. Many NPR employees were furious that he would "torch his workplace," though Berliner's piece carefully noted that he still believes the outlet is important and should continue to receive government funding.

For writing about his own outlet without seeking permission from his bosses, Berliner was suspended for five days without pay. But ultimately, he has chosen to resign.

"I cannot work in a newsroom where I am disparaged by a new CEO whose divisive views confirm the very problems at NPR I cite in my Free Press essay," he said, referencing statements made by NPR CEO Katherine Maher—whose considerable history of tweeting woke nonsense is now under public scrutiny as well.

And he is quite correct. Berliner's article for Weiss concludes with this thought: "What's notable is the extent to which people at every level of NPR have comfortably coalesced around the progressive worldview. And this, I believe, is the most damaging development at NPR: the absence of viewpoint diversity."

Berliner cited Russiagate, the Hunter Biden laptop story, and coverage of the lab leak theory of COVID-19's origins as coverage areas where NPR's bias in favor of the progressive, establishment Democratic Party perspective led the outlet astray. A media company that did not completely dismiss non-progressive opinions out of hands might have fared better.

The absence of viewpoint diversity at NPR should be no surprise, however, when its CEO apparently believes that ideological diversity is a "dog whistle for anti-feminist, anti-POC stories." For Maher, diversity involves "race, ethnicity, gender, class, ability, geography"—everything except diversity of thought.

And Maher is not alone. Some 50 of Berliner's colleagues signed a letter to Maher demanding that she enforce NPR's current editorial line by weaponizing all available tools at her disposal.

"Staff, many from marginalized backgrounds, have pushed for internal policy changes through mechanisms like the [diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)] accountability committee, sharing of affinity group guidelines, and an ad-hoc content review group," they wrote. Elsewhere in the letter they put the term diversity of viewpoints in scare quotes.

It certainly does not sound like the DEI accountability committee works to broaden NPR's ideological perspective. On the contrary, the employees who are obsessed with DEI seem to care first and foremost about rooting out anti-DEI heresy.

Now Berliner is not a victim of cancel culture: Most journalistic organizations would exercise some disciplinary authority over an employee who publicly discussed internal company policies without prior approval. But there should be little question that he accurately described a real problem at a (regrettably taxpayer-funded) media outlet. The acronym DEI ostensibly stands for diversity, equity, and inclusion—and the public is learning precisely what those terms really mean.

Indeed they are.