Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lowell forfeits

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

NWI Times is fake news lol!? 

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

If it was academic reasons, privacy laws would not allow for the school to release that information.

Exactly right, MC.

...and even if the newspaper finds out, no news organization is going to post the name of an underage player who is ineligible for the local football team and detail why he is ineligible. 

Under 18 folks are rarely named in news stories...

Its just not something you do to a kid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Exactly right, MC.

...and even if the newspaper finds out, no news organization is going to post the name of an underage player who is ineligible for the local football team and detail why he is ineligible. 

Under 18 folks are rarely named in news stories...

Its just not something you do to a kid. 

Short of first-hand video footage, a police statement, or a school administrator (like an athletic director) -- who never would, you're just asking for the lawyers to get involved -- not a position any editor/reporter wants to be in. Much different if the subject of the story is an adult.

Moreover, everyone who really needs/wants to know, probably already does. Cui bono?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

If it was academic reasons, privacy laws would not allow for the school to release that information.

Hmmm they can release honor roll and other gpa figures but not this? Can’t say they say they used an academically ineligible player 

1 minute ago, Whiting89 said:

Hmmm they can release honor roll and other gpa figures but not this? Can’t say they say they used an academically ineligible player 

They’d be crazy to say anything more publicly until they have made the full report to the IHSAA, and the IHSAA has finished whatever they’re going to do. Until that’s closed, mum should be the word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

They’d be crazy to say anything more publicly until they have made the full report to the IHSAA, and the IHSAA has finished whatever they’re going to do. Until that’s closed, mum should be the word.

Whose fault is this that is occurred? Player, coach, ad, or admin?

Unfortunately this is an administrative screw up.  Ever who was assigned to check eligibility missed something.  We don't need to know who as this person is already feeling miserable.  The bad part is it makes the Lowell administration look bad but really it is just the opposite.  They found the mistake and corrected the mistake immediately.  I applaud the Lowell administration for taking care of business.  Great job Lowell!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

Unfortunately this is an administrative screw up.  Ever who was assigned to check eligibility missed something.  We don't need to know who as this person is already feeling miserable.  The bad part is it makes the Lowell administration look bad but really it is just the opposite.  They found the mistake and corrected the mistake immediately.  I applaud the Lowell administration for taking care of business.  Great job Lowell!!!

Thanks for answering without asking why someone would ask.

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Most students and their families OK things like being on honor roll or valedictorian or NHS, etc. via paperwork at the beginning of each semester/school year as a publicity release item.  When they are signing that, however, it is for awards or positive recognition not for general release or release with negative items.  Even in those situations, a kid/parent can opt-out of that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Most students and their families OK things like being on honor roll or valedictorian or NHS, etc. via paperwork at the beginning of each semester/school year as a publicity release item.  When they are signing that, however, it is for awards or positive recognition not for general release or release with negative items.  Even in those situations, a kid/parent can opt-out of that. 

You're getting into a very interesting area, FOX.      

Its not just legalities and parental permission. . How honest do you want me to be about an underage kid in print?     

Wanna play?

*The Pork City Panthers, who have NEVER won a sectional title,  have a star QB named Chris P. Bacon.   Chris is the MVP of his conference but in the sectional title game he fumbles 5 times and throws 4 interceptions. 

Here is the hometown hero in the biggest game in school history.   His coach has no comment and wont allow Chris to be interviewed.  He's 17.

How much to do you want me to dwell on how the MVP's low-rent performance cost his team, his school and his town the sectional in his final game.   Write some of the story and give me a headline without dwelling on one boys' nine

turnovers and without quoting the coach or player.   Remember, you only have a few minutes to write this and what you say will stick with him (it will be on-line) the rest of his life. 

*The Sugarland Stars have a freshman softball cleanup hitter named Brittney "Sugar" Bare who hit .458 on the regular season with 20 home runs.  

Sugar hits two homers in the sectional championship game and the fourth time up, she is beaned by the opposition pitcher Katie O'Grady, starting a fight where Sugar and Katie are both ejected.

After the game, Sugar tells you and the other reporters "I've always hated the b****.  We have never liked each other. I was overjoyed to give that loser some knuckle sandwiches."  The coach has no comment.   Sugar is 15.

How do you write that? Do you quote Miss Bare?  She's got 3 more years. Do you say what you know?. Give me a headline. 

*The star guard on the South Side Rough Riders:  Richard "Wild Irish" Rose is suspended for the sectional title game and other kids tell you he was caught at a party drinking with underage girls. His coach says, "That kids' out of control but,

officially, I cant comment on that"   You go to the other team and their star player, Abraham "Hot Rod" Lincoln, who scored a career-high 40 points,  tells you, 'Yeah, Richard was there. I saw him.  He's my man. I love me some Wild Irish Rose. I

was there, too. I know those girls from the girls team"       Hot Rod's coach says "I didn't know that.  Please don't print that..  " 

Do I quote Hot Rod?  Either coach? There's other reporters there. Write some of that story. 

Remember, you need the coaches to talk to you to cover the teams.  And you would not mention any of this if he/she wasn't on a varsity team. 

What do you think?

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

Terrible comparison and I’ll say it right to your face 

I don’t know later in life we show who got arrested maybe if we start earlier in life it would change future behavior.

furthermore public school should release all grades so the taxpayers know what they are getting from their tax dollars.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

You're getting into a very interesting area, FOX.      

Its not just legalities and parental permission. . How honest do you want me to be about an underage kid in print?     

Wanna play?

*The Pork City Panthers, who have NEVER won a sectional title,  have a star QB named Chris P. Bacon.   Chris is the MVP of his conference but in the sectional title game he fumbles 5 times and throws 4 interceptions. 

Here is the hometown hero in the biggest game in school history.   His coach has no comment and wont allow Chris to be interviewed.  He's 17.

How much to do you want me to dwell on how the MVP's low-rent performance cost his team, his school and his town the sectional in his final game.   Write some of the story and give me a headline without dwelling on one boys' nine

turnovers and without quoting the coach or player.   Remember, you only have a few minutes to write this and what you say will stick with him (it will be on-line) the rest of his life. 

*The Sugarland Stars have a freshman softball cleanup hitter named Brittney "Sugar" Bare who hit .458 on the regular season with 20 home runs.  

Sugar hits two homers in the sectional championship game and the fourth time up, she is beaned by the opposition pitcher Katie O'Grady, starting a fight where Sugar and Katie are both ejected.

After the game, Sugar tells you and the other reporters "I've always hated the b****.  We have never liked each other. I was overjoyed to give that loser some knuckle sandwiches."  The coach has no comment.   Sugar is 15.

How do you write that? Do you quote Miss Bare?  She's got 3 more years. Do you say what you know?. Give me a headline. 

*The star guard on the South Side Rough Riders:  Richard "Wild Irish" Rose is suspended for the sectional title game and other kids tell you he was caught at a party drinking with underage girls. His coach says, "That kids' out of control but,

officially, I cant comment on that"   You go to the other team and their star player, Abraham "Hot Rod" Lincoln, who scored a career-high 40 points,  tells you, 'Yeah, Richard was there. I saw him.  He's my man. I love me some Wild Irish Rose. I

was there, too. I know those girls from the girls team"       Hot Rod's coach says "I didn't know that.  Please don't print that..  " 

Do I quote Hot Rod?  Either coach? There's other reporters there. Write some of that story. 

Remember, you need the coaches to talk to you to cover the teams.  And you would not mention any of this if he/she wasn't on a varsity team. 

What do you think?

As Joe Friday might say, "I just want to get the facts" ... and the less salacious, the better when it comes to kids.  Your best bet in most of those cases is, if it doesn't show up in the stat book, better to leave it out ... and if those are bad, redirect to other lines.  Those four interceptions can tae a different approach away from the kid and focus on the positive of the defensive acumen and the kids making the picks.  Those fumbles can go from focusing on the kid losing them to the opportunistic defensive line.  Can it be boring?  You bet.  Does not focusing on the kid negatively end up being better for the kid?  You bet ... or perhaps better is that it doesn't end up being or having the potential for being negative for the kid.  Can probably think about writing about kids kind of in the same vein as a line by Hippocrates in Of The Epidemics, "First, do no harm."

20 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I don’t know later in life we show who got arrested maybe if we start earlier in life it would change future behavior.

furthermore public school should release all grades so the taxpayers know what they are getting from their tax dollars.

Nothing to be served by releasing individual grades to the public and a lot more harm to the individuals that can be done.  And especially with regard to minors ... nothing at all to be gained that isn't heavily outweighed by the negative impact on a kid.  There are aggregate and organization-based evaluations that tell the public about what the tax dollars are doing or not doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

As Joe Friday might say, "I just want to get the facts" ... and the less salacious, the better when it comes to kids.  Your best bet in most of those cases is, if it doesn't show up in the stat book, better to leave it out ... and if those are bad, redirect to other lines.  Those four interceptions can tae a different approach away from the kid and focus on the positive of the defensive acumen and the kids making the picks.  Those fumbles can go from focusing on the kid losing them to the opportunistic defensive line.  Can it be boring?  You bet.  Does not focusing on the kid negatively end up being better for the kid?  You bet ... or perhaps better is that it doesn't end up being or having the potential for being negative for the kid.  Can probably think about writing about kids kind of in the same vein as a line by Hippocrates in Of The Epidemics, "First, do no harm."

The MVP turned the ball over 9 times.   You cover THAT team.   Would I lie, omit or shade to cover for a kid. Maybe.

But what happens when you need people to trust you, the writer. ?  What happens when you go back to cover that team and everyone knows you lied, shaded or covered.?

Sometimes the facts are inherently harmful. Inherently negative.  Sometimes positive for one side is negative for the other side. You're writer, not a hider.

The only reason I'm there is to tell the true story.   Not some sanitized version that 'does no harm,'

Why would you read me if I lie?   But why would you read me if I hurt kids with my words.    Its the no-win scenario.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Whiting89 said:

That goes a bit too far.  Releasing grades is totally unnecessary, especially when dealing with minors.

This isn’t college, but high school—hell of a difference.