Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 36

This Sectional looks like it was seeded with the top 4 teams avoiding each other in the first round. Eastbrook is the defending champion and the favorite again. I like that my Blue Devils will get them at our place this year. Lapel and Eastern should be a great matchup on the top side assuming the top 4 take care of business in the first round. 

EB956139-C33F-472F-BA06-88105EF00860.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fballfan15 said:

This Sectional looks like it was seeded with the top 4 teams avoiding each other in the first round. Eastbrook is the defending champion and the favorite again. I like that my Blue Devils will get them at our place this year. Lapel and Eastern should be a great matchup on the top side assuming the top 4 take care of business in the first round. 

EB956139-C33F-472F-BA06-88105EF00860.png

What’s the procedure on who gets home? Say Tipton and Eastbrook both win, is Tipton at home because they traveled first round and Eastbrook didn’t? Also, say in a 4 team sectional if both home teams win, is the team on the bottom home for the championship?

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/news media/2020-21/100820.FootballPairings.pdf

Determining Home Team

First Round: The second-named team in the blind draw is host school unless the two teams agree to switch the site.

Semifinals: The team without a home game will host. Exception: The bye team will always be the visitor. If both teams were

hosts or both were visitors, the second-named team in the quarter bracket will host. In 6A & 5A, in the four team

sectionals, the second-named team will host.

Championships: Host team will be the team that has played the most away games. If both teams have played the same

number of away games, the bottom bracket team shall host.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giantbeareagle80 said:

Great Draws for the top 4 Teams.

Looks Seeded do to location and drive time.  🤣 

If there are no upsets in round one, the second round games will be good ones.

I have not seen Eastern play yet and wondering if they are legit or is it Big Fish / Small Pond thing for them in conference play.

I don’t know a lot about Eastern other than they have a RB Downing with a ton of rushing yards. Seems they ride him quite a bit. They’re SOS isn’t very good but that doesn’t mean they aren’t. I think their game with Lapel will be a good one. 

Did Eastern want this for their school, hence why they went to the Hoosier Heartland?   I believe the PowerPoint presented to Board said something along the lines of winning brings on more winning or something to that extent.  The message was clear that winning regular season games should provide for more participation in their school.   I think you can debate whether playing in a lesser conference than before can hurt you come tournament time.   I think that is the question here, How good is Eastern?  Last year they came into Sectional final 11-0 and Eastbrook won convincingly.   Closest game this year for the Comets was Delphi, good 35-32 win.   They have a good game tongiht with the Blackhawks.   If Eastern and Lapel do their thing, a 2nd round rematch from last year's close opening round game that went to the Comets.    

Juicy 2nd round potential for sure in this sectional 

41 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

How good is Eastern?  Last year they came into Sectional final 11-0 and Eastbrook won convincingly.

Their schedule is extremely weak. That will be their downfall if/when they have to play Eastbrook again. My prediction of that match-up is..... and this is just hypothetical.....

Eastbrook - 45

Eastern - 14

Now back to reality. Not to overlook our first round teams but I'm confident Tipton and Eastbrook will meet in round 2. Tipton is much improved and it should make for an interesting game. In the end, I'll take my Panthers by 3 touchdowns.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I have seen Tipton a bit, everything will revolve around QB Edwards, who I believe unfortunately suffered an injury week 9 last year vs the Bombers.  He has been running the show for a few years for the Blue Devils. 

Does Lyons return at all this year @Fballfan15 ?

Edwards has had a great year. He’s an accurate passer who can throw the deep ball very well but is also a weapon with his legs. Keeping him healthy is key if we are to make a run. Him getting hurt last year killed us. Lyons unfortunately is out for football and basketball season. Small chance he’s back for baseball. Heart breaks for the kid. Tough to replace an All-State kid but have been impressed with kids who have stepped up. Sophomore Eli Carter has been outstanding filling in at RB. Defensively we have missed him more. Can’t overlook anyone but from a fan’s perspective I am looking forward to the battle with Eastbrook. Should be a dandy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

I don’t know a lot about Eastern other than they have a RB Downing with a ton of rushing yards. Seems they ride him quite a bit. They’re SOS isn’t very good but that doesn’t mean they aren’t. I think their game with Lapel will be a good one. 

Hold up Cowboys!  Let's not be going and putting the cart before the horse.  Lapel has to get past Frankton first.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, CoachOsGhost said:

I have watched this frankton team every week this year and Lapel could bring JV team and still win big! 

November 16th, 1997. I remember it like was yesterday as it was the first day I had grown  1\4th inch since 2nd grade.  0-10 Colts defeated the 8-2 Packers. Anything can happen on any given day!!!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bittergymteacher said:

November 16th, 1997. I remember it like was yesterday as it was the first day I had grown  1\4th inch since 2nd grade.  0-10 Colts defeated the 8-2 Packers. Anything can happen on any given day!!!!

That is anything can happen on "any given Sunday". The fact is this team has not scored an offensive TD in how long? That is sad and look at total offensive yards a game. Not like they are playing cathedrals D every week. 

Eastern will give teams fits due to having some quality talent and being able to not only run but pass the ball. They will throttle Alexandria and move on!

Lapel will embarrass Frankton and prove why Frankton needs a HC change!

Tipton is solid and will move on! Elwood will not be able to stop them! Props to Elwood though on the improved effort though.

Eastbrook is still the class of the field! Tipton could put a scare in them. Also Eastern if balanced could scare them. 

This is Eastbrook's sectional to lose! They have always struggled against a balanced attack when a team has talent. Would love to see them get a state championship this year!

Alexandria has to decide where they want to head! Are they OK with where their program is at or do they fix what has not worked in recent history! Good staff but got to figure out how to fix it. Need a weight program that kids believe in. Also have to figure out how to retend more kids year after year. Lots of young talent in the 9th grade but outside of that it jumps a few grades

Frankton no question has to make a change. They have to much talent to be that bad! Need to blow up staff and start over! Same with weight program! With new field and improvements it is time to change culture!

Elwood is headed in the right direction but also like Alexandria and Frankton need a better weight program and youth football program! Give this coach 3-4 years if he stays and it will turn around!

Blackford will be back covid and being young has been tough on this program! Coaches have team on the right track! Could be tough team in next few years

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Did Eastern want this for their school, hence why they went to the Hoosier Heartland?   I believe the PowerPoint presented to Board said something along the lines of winning brings on more winning or something to that extent.  The message was clear that winning regular season games should provide for more participation in their school.   I think you can debate whether playing in a lesser conference than before can hurt you come tournament time.   I think that is the question here, How good is Eastern?  Last year they came into Sectional final 11-0 and Eastbrook won convincingly.   Closest game this year for the Comets was Delphi, good 35-32 win.   They have a good game tongiht with the Blackhawks.   If Eastern and Lapel do their thing, a 2nd round rematch from last year's close opening round game that went to the Comets.    

Juicy 2nd round potential for sure in this sectional 

Could it be like a Knox/Triton/LaVille/Culver situation? 

Moving away from tougher schools (heights, western, cass being what they were and Northwestern having some years) and playing schools where you aren't going into the year (football esp) with guaranteed 4 absolute blow out losses? 

Im for sure happy for the Eastern kids.. Can't control how poopy some of the teams you play.  Just go out and beat them bad like you should.. And they have. (Not saying you arent happy)

Question for the Eastbrook guys. Do you guys like your schedule how it is? It is top heavy right now and then last 5 games are blowouts. I can see it as a positive and a negative. Just wondering your guys thoughts. Also how would you compare this team to last years? 

6 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

Question for the Eastbrook guys. Do you guys like your schedule how it is? It is top heavy right now and then last 5 games are blowouts. I can see it as a positive and a negative. Just wondering your guys thoughts. Also how would you compare this team to last years? 

Not a big fan of Eastbrook’s schedule.  I would love to see the starters playing some full four quarter games prior to the tournament.  The team is healthy, but a full game or two would be nice to play before the tournament.  JMO.  I think this years team is much better than last years team!  Better at QB, WR, and the defense is very good.

Edited by captainobvious
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fballfan15 said:

The schedule is what it is. Until the other teams in the CIC get better, Eastbrook will continue to dominate. Are they better than last year? If they win a state championship, then I would say yes. Winning breeds winning. The program that Coach Adamson has developed is team focused. These kids expect to win year in and year out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 36_Belly said:

The schedule is what it is. Until the other teams in the CIC get better, Eastbrook will continue to dominate. Are they better than last year? If they win a state championship, then I would say yes. Winning breeds winning. The program that Coach Adamson has developed is team focused. These kids expect to win year in and year out.

No doubt. Coach Adamson is one of the best. Looking forward to possibly playing them in a few weeks at our place. 

13 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

Not sure how other conference schedules work, but in the CIC it rotates every 2 years. For example, Eastbrook played M-G first the last 2 seasons, so this season everyone shifts up a spot and M-G drops to last on the schedule this year.  Yes, this season is top heavy, mainly because we seek out competition to start the season and not cream puffs for any easy win, but also how the rotating schedule lined up.

Also, I believe with a win over M-G Friday we will be the first ever Grant-5 champs in football. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Fballfan15 said:

I'd prefer to have a couple more competitive games mixed into the last part of the season but it is what it is at this point.  It worries me a little bit more this year with how strong our Sectional is.  I think Tipton and maybe Eastern would be as strong as anyone we could see in Regionals.  When it's been a while since you've been challenged it's hard to judge how a 16-17 year old kid is going to react when the game becomes a war.  On the flip side though we should be healthy and gives us a chance to rest some of those nagging injuries that a kid might normally play through if the end of the season was more challenging.

As far as how we stack up against last year I'd say we're just as good if not slightly better than last year talent wise.  The Seniors and Juniors have a lot of big game experience.  We are mostly a Junior dominated team but those Juniors played very big roles last year as Sophomores in what was suppose to be a rebuilding year.  Once the ball is kicked off though the scoreboard doesn't care what you've done in the past.  This Sectional is going to have some very good games to watch.

• Like 1

What is most competitive first round game?  I think it is between Lapel/Frankton and Blackford/Eastbrook...Bulldogs seem to beat who they should, but no one better.  Other game I mentioned is purely on Elwood/Alex being so bad.  Think you could make argument Alex/Greentown, but Tigers based on sectional Round 2 last year (Greentown 20-7)...but Alex appears to be worse this year.  

Who wins between Alex/Frankton in week 9 this year?  

On 10/13/2020 at 9:44 PM, irishuncle411 said:

What is most competitive first round game?  I think it is between Lapel/Frankton and Blackford/Eastbrook...Bulldogs seem to beat who they should, but no one better.  Other game I mentioned is purely on Elwood/Alex being so bad.  Think you could make argument Alex/Greentown, but Tigers based on sectional Round 2 last year (Greentown 20-7)...but Alex appears to be worse this year.  

Who wins between Alex/Frankton in week 9 this year?  

I don't think there will be any close games.  Alexandria may score on Eastern, but if Eastern throws the ball, Alexandria will be doomed.  Also, Alexandria can't run the ball against anyone, so if it's a bad weather night, they're in trouble.  Weather will hurt both teams, since they like to pass.

I also believe Alexandria will beat Frankton in a high scoring game.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:19 PM, captainobvious said:

Not a big fan of Eastbrook’s schedule.  I would love to see the starters playing some full four quarter games prior to the tournament.  The team is healthy, but a full game or two would be nice to play before the tournament.  JMO.  I think this years team is much better than last years team!  Better at QB, WR, and the defense is very good.

Does the quarterback actually get to throw the ball in meaningful downs and situations this year?  Or are they going to wait until they are down 3 scores in the state championship game again to try to figure out some sort of way to move the ball in the air?