Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral @ Center Grove

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The next Boomer Esiason?

Absolutely

Same size and build.  Same hair.  Reminded me a lot of Boomer.  Huge arm.  

Thought he was a sure fire NFL starter.  Not sure when and where the wheels came off.  he had one great year at UC then got beat out by some underclassman.  I think he got heavy and lazy  Had it all in his hands.  

10 minutes ago, DT said:

Absolutely

Thought he was a sure fire NFL starter.  Not sure when and where the wheels came off.  he had one great year at UC then got beat out by some underclassman.  I think he got heavy and lazy  Had it all in his hands.  

A lot more issues than just being heavy and lazy, including a ton of injuries. But that's for another time. 

It looks like this old fan will be home again this week.  The game is sold out and I'm without.  I hope someone decides to televise this one.  Channel 23 has Ben Davis at North Central scheduled.  Maybe they will change that when they find out their ratings will be double for the Irish/CG game.

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It looks like this old fan will be home again this week.  The game is sold out and I'm without.  I hope someone decides to televise this one.  Channel 23 has Ben Davis at North Central scheduled.  Maybe they will change that when they find out their ratings will be double for the Irish/CG game.

I think it’s televised here...

7A16FAF0-26BE-4D04-8079-9048622FB04A.jpeg

15 hours ago, IrishFan1997 said:

Agreed...I think this is what clouds the thought process with football fans, and thinking when comparing athletics' in the state of Indiana...Yes, the State Championship in all sports is the team recognized goal throughout the state, but National Recognition is the ultimate goal...Center Grove, Cathedral, and other great programs should have the opportunity to play other schools, from other states, regardless of distance (if the particulars can be worked out) in order to boost our great state athletic programs...When I think of all the great INDIANA Football, Baseball, Basketball, (any other sports) programs that have come-n-gone, I wish they could see where they stack up and play the best there is out there...The Herbstreit Classic was great for Cathedral, not belonging to a conference, and being locked into games has helped, and the mindset of National recognition has helped.  If Indian sports wishes to keep up with AAU/Club Sports programs, they better figure out how to figure it out, and help support schools who cant $fund$ it...MyHumbleOpinion

I think you hit on it right there, Fan Man;

To the IHSAA, I would guess that National recognition is not only not the ultimate goal, but its a goal they discourage.  

The IHSAA does not want to 'keep up with AAU and Club Sports programs'. 

They want the Indiana state championship to be the ultimate goal.    They don't want ANYTHING to overshadow or diminish that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DT said:

Absolutely

This is worthy of a separate post as this history and discussion is interesting.  I think he originally committed to IU.  Then changed mind and decommitted, signed with LSU.  I am not sure what happened there, but know he again de-committed, and transferred to Notre Dame but then was benched as #3 QB, so that is when he transferred to Cincinnati?  I recall he played lights-out first college game at UC and set all kinds of D1 records for first-game QB at college level but then got injured?  I am pretty sure coming out of Columbus East he was #1 ranked QB in the nation.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:37 PM, Gipper said:

Here’s a weird one: Lowell and South Newton have the same fight song.  Sadly, it’s the Illinois Loyalty which is completely unacceptable for a Purdue fan and IU (Northwest—MBA) grad.

Same for the Bombers

I will take Cathedral by score of 24-21 

On 10/9/2020 at 11:06 PM, PHJIrish said:

Might as well get it started!  It is the regular season big game!  Both teams 8-0, both teams with a bye in first week of the playoffs and Center Grove is #1 in the Sagarin ratings and Cathedral is #2.  It should be a good one and a tough ticket.  I'm hoping it's televised in the Indianapolis area for those who are unable to attend.

Sold out Monday.  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:45 AM, Bobref said:

Unlikely. Someone’s got to lose. And whoever loses, their fans will say they didn’t go all out because they were saving themselves for the playoffs.

In 6 season's (this year being the 7th) I have yet to see either CG or Cathedral not go all out because they were saving themselves for the playoffs.

2014 CG 44 Cathedral 28

2015 CG 7 Cathedral 0

2016 CG 44 Cathedral 41 in OT

2017 Cathedral 21 CG 14

2018 CG 34 Cathedral 7

2019 Cathedral 14 CG 9

I won't buy the statement. My personal opinion when you play saving yourself (worried about injury) is when you tend to get injuries.

52 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

In 6 season's (this year being the 7th) I have yet to see either CG or Cathedral not go all out because they were saving themselves for the playoffs.

2014 CG 44 Cathedral 28

2015 CG 7 Cathedral 0

2016 CG 44 Cathedral 41 in OT

2017 Cathedral 21 CG 14

2018 CG 34 Cathedral 7

2019 Cathedral 14 CG 9

I won't buy the statement. My personal opinion when you play saving yourself (worried about injury) is when you tend to get injuries.

Let me be clear. I’m not talking about effort. I have no doubt everyone on both teams will give it all they’ve got Friday. I’m talking about things like play calling, formations, defenses, tricks, etc. Most teams play it close to the vest going into the tournament, and I expect both of these teams to have their eye on the real prize.

• Like 1

Anyone want to talk match-ups? In my mind, I couldn’t be more excited to see Caden Curry and the CG front 7 against Owen Wood and the Irish O-Line. CHS’s offensive line averages 6’5, 273lbs. Watching some Center Grove film, I have yet to see an O-Line that comes very close. If Jake Langdon, Seth Mencer, and McCahill can establish the run game, it will be very hard for the Trojans to pull this one out. 

The other huge match-up is Carson Steele vs. the Cathedral emerging backers (Huddy Miller, Jack Goheen, and Ferrell Henderson). I love our the Cathedral OLBs, so I am thinking Steele will have to run meat-and-potatoes most of the night. Can our gnarly senior captains (Guhl, Scruggs) on the DLine take the double teams? I think so. 

Would not break my heart to have 70 run attempts combined. I’ll put my money on the jock from St. Roch, Nathan McCahill, to lead the way. He’s a gamer. Mr. Football is at stake in this one too in my opinion. Steele vs. McCahill. 

What a game! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

Let me be clear. I’m not talking about effort. I have no doubt everyone on both teams will give it all they’ve got Friday. I’m talking about things like play calling, formations, defenses, tricks, etc. Most teams play it close to the vest going into the tournament, and I expect both of these teams to have their eye on the real prize.

I get what you're saying. However Center Grove under Coach Moore has been predominantly a "Wing T" team, yes they run some spread stuff on occasion. I don't think there is much for CG or Cathedral to hide Offensively or defensively that they haven't already shown on film. Both coaches are basically this is what we run come stop me, not much fancy. Do they have some trick plays? I would say probably and they probably wouldn't use them in this game (unless they want to throw something on film to make a future opposing team prepare for). I think you will see both team do what they usually do and may the best team win. I definitely don't think either team will be saving themselves for the tournament.

34 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I get what you're saying. However Center Grove under Coach Moore has been predominantly a "Wing T" team, yes they run some spread stuff on occasion. I don't think there is much for CG or Cathedral to hide Offensively or defensively that they haven't already shown on film. Both coaches are basically this is what we run come stop me, not much fancy. Do they have some trick plays? I would say probably and they probably wouldn't use them in this game (unless they want to throw something on film to make a future opposing team prepare for). I think you will see both team do what they usually do and may the best team win. I definitely don't think either team will be saving themselves for the tournament.

Agreed, I was also trying to figure out what the “real prize” is (quoted previously), I think for both programs, the “real prize” is actually a yearly expectation...The ultimate prize should be putting Indiana Football on the map, comparable to the top programs in the Midwest/Country...

15 hours ago, IrishFan1997 said:

Agreed, I was also trying to figure out what the “real prize” is (quoted previously), I think for both programs, the “real prize” is actually a yearly expectation...The ultimate prize should be putting Indiana Football on the map, comparable to the top programs in the Midwest/Country...

The “real prize” of course, is a state championship. Poll the Cathedral & CG players and coaches. Not one of them will say their top goal is to “put Indiana football on the map.” If that happens, all well and good. But that’s not where their ultimate focus is ... nor should it be.

• Like 1