Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral @ Center Grove

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The “real prize” of course, is a state championship. Poll the Cathedral & CG players and coaches. Not one of them will say their top goal is to “put Indiana football on the map.” If that happens, all well and good. But that’s not where their ultimate focus is ... nor should it be.

Don’t need to poll them, been there and done that, lived it...At some places it’s an expectation...”If it happens, all well and good “ is IHSAA talk...In my opinion it’s not looking at the bigger picture

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

The “real prize” of course, is a state championship. Poll the Cathedral & CG players and coaches. Not one of them will say their top goal is to “put Indiana football on the map.” If that happens, all well and good. But that’s not where their ultimate focus is ... nor should it be.

I’ll agree with you here with one caveat. These two junior classes from Cathedral and Center Grove have a history. When these junior classes were freshmen, they were both touted as one of the best ever for both schools. CG ripped through the MIC undefeated and CHS ripped through the tri-state P/P undefeated in 2018. They faced each other in a very contentious battle both with Cathedral winning 14-7 at the CG middle school field. Point being, they have angry history.

As for state titles is all that matters, I’ll be immodest and absolutely agree at Cathedral. With the abundance of state title caliber programs, any accomplishments short of an IHSAA title don’t get any love on campus. Sectional, Regional, or Semi-state titles are rarely mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I’ll agree with you here with one caveat. These two junior classes from Cathedral and Center Grove have a history. When these junior classes were freshmen, they were both touted as one of the best ever for both schools. CG ripped through the MIC undefeated and CHS ripped through the tri-state P/P undefeated in 2018. They faced each other in a very contentious battle both with Cathedral winning 14-7 at the CG middle school field. Point being, they have angry history.

As for state titles is all that matters, I’ll be immodest and absolutely agree at Cathedral. With the abundance of state title caliber programs, any accomplishments short of an IHSAA title don’t get any love on campus. Sectional, Regional, or Semi-state titles are rarely mentioned.

Agreed, and don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of Sectional/Regional/Semi-State/State Titles & the High School sports programs (all sports), I just hate how AAU/Travel Ball/Club Ball has taken away from the High School programs all over (especially Indiana) just because of the National/Collegiate-experience/exposure...I fear that athletes will soon steer clear of High School athletics for fear of injury and lack of exposure they can get from AAU/Club/Travel Ball, which is where a lot of kids get Regional & National looks from Coaches/Schools.

• Like 1

I don't do predictions and I try to not pass along much information about the team.

With that said:  GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Irish 35

Trojans 28

Going to be COLD!

Stay healthy both teams!

Wait 'til the playoffs!  Then it's really cold!

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I don't do predictions and I try to not pass along much information about the team.

With that said:  GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!

Wait 'til the playoffs!  Then it's really cold!

I doubt you would have any information that CG doesn’t already have or have seen on film. Neither team is flashy, both will be extremely well prepared. These 2 teams are the top tier of Indiana football this year.. Praying for a clean and injury free game for all the participants in tonight’s game. Good Luck to both schools. 

I'll take Center Grove 28-7. 

Cathedral has never won by more than 7 points in this matchup (from 2014 - Now).  I think the biggest difference is the CG defense because the game is at CG.  I think CG wins on the line of scrimmage and makes Cathedral one dimensional forcing them to throw the ball.  Quick possessions and CG takes over and grinds out the clock to a win. 

16 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I'll take Center Grove 28-7. 

Cathedral has never won by more than 7 points in this matchup (from 2014 - Now).  I think the biggest difference is the CG defense because the game is at CG.  I think CG wins on the line of scrimmage and makes Cathedral one dimensional forcing them to throw the ball.  Quick possessions and CG takes over and grinds out the clock to a win. 

Center Grove winning this game wouldn't come as a surprise but holding Cathedral to 7 points would mean this CG defense is as good as advertised and then some. Only team this year that's been able to stop Cathedral's offense is Cathedral themselves. Cathedral's protected the football extremely well this year but has had multiple games with 10+ penalties and 100+ yards. That can't happen tonight. 

Conversely, CG has only won this matchup by more than 7 points one time and that was likely one of Cathedral's "worst teams" in almost 20 years. Expect a hard-hitting, close game where the game is decided late by a single score. 

Edited by Footballking16

1 hour ago, Olympian06 said:

I doubt you would have any information that CG doesn’t already have or have seen on film. Neither team is flashy, both will be extremely well prepared. These 2 teams are the top tier of Indiana football this year.. Praying for a clean and injury free game for all the participants in tonight’s game. Good Luck to both schools. 

You'd be surprised what I, and a lot of other Irish fans and parents, know.  I'm sure Center Grove has the Irish well scouted.  They wouldn't be #1 if they didn't.

24 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think cathedral will have to beet Center Grove through the air. Nobody has been able to run on Center Grove all year. So if Center Grove doesn't turn over the ball or have to many of those nasty holding penalties  I think they take care of business and win this game.

Opponent average run yardage per game  is 18 yards.

Year rushing  total  cg 2138 opponent 147

Those are crazy rushing numbers. Holding teams to under 100 per game is amazing, but 147 for season is unbelievable.

34 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think cathedral will have to beet Center Grove through the air. Nobody has been able to run on Center Grove all year. So if Center Grove doesn't turn over the ball or have to many of those nasty holding penalties  I think they take care of business and win this game.

Opponent average run yardage per game  is 18 yards.

Year rushing  total  cg 2138 opponent 147

I think these fellas will have something to say about the rushing yards. I hope Cathedral goes 2-TE all night. 

64E285E7-187A-427C-A544-51D15EC144DE.thumb.png.70adf126c8f76969e172037810a387bd.png

I think both teams try and run the ball. Curry should have a big game. Weakest part of Cathedral's line is C and G. Cathedral has excellent OTs and probably 2 of the best TEs in the state. I would imagine Cathedral goes double TEs most of the game. Solidifies the run and helps with max protection on pass.

CG obviously will run the ball. LN slowed them down in first half. Costly mistakes cost CG points. Steele will get loose for a long one. Cathedral gambles alot on defense. CG wore LN down. I doubt they will wear down the Irish.

Both teams have excellent kickers. Weather will be cold, but not a factor. Game will be within 7. Which team will make the big play or which team makes fewest mistakes? I am going:

Cathedral 24

Center Grove 17

• Like 1

The team that comes out on top tonight will no doubt have undue pressure on themselves to blow through the playoffs with expectation of winning state title in convincing fashion, whomever they face.

The team that falls short tonight has two weeks to forget about the loss and focus ‘all-in’ at next opponent one at a time.

Assuming the game lives up to the hype, a shout out to both AD’s to get next year’s rematch on the schedule for week one.

58 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I think these fellas will have something to say about the rushing yards. I hope Cathedral goes 2-TE all night. 

64E285E7-187A-427C-A544-51D15EC144DE.thumb.png.70adf126c8f76969e172037810a387bd.png

Hey that photo is five weeks old!  Our line is bigger and stronger since that photo was taken!  

43 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

The team that comes out on top tonight will no doubt have undue pressure on themselves to blow through the playoffs with expectation of winning state title in convincing fashion, whomever they face.

The team that falls short tonight has two weeks to forget about the loss and focus ‘all-in’ at next opponent one at a time.

Assuming the game lives up to the hype, a shout out to both AD’s to get next year’s rematch on the schedule for week one.

Hey that photo is five weeks old!  Our line is bigger and stronger since that photo was taken!  

I will say CG’s playoff run will be much more difficult than Cathedral’s.

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I will say CG’s playoff run will be much more difficult than Cathedral’s.

I agree with that as well.  5A will be interesting with potential north match-ups but nothing can be taken for granted as there are lots of games to be played after tonight for both teams.  My best prediction is what ever team gets beat tonight their players, coaches and fans will get over it quickly.