Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral @ Center Grove

2 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Our punter did struggle tonight, and I do back your comment that CG has #1 offensive team in the MIC so there is a chance they COULD go 70-80 yards even with no time outs if we punt vs. turning it over on the 50 which we did.  Again...on the road, you take those chances as that is what good football programs do.

I can assure you that having a 'perfect record' is not the goal of Cathedral this year.

It is to some supporters.  Or was.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Hindsight as they say is always undefeated. Disappointed with the loss but would have been more ticked if Cathedral didn’t even attempt to win the game on 4th and inches.

I thought thay had more confidence in that defense.  Both offenses were sluggish all night and showed little firepower.  CG had given no indication it was ready to drive 80 yards in 50 seconds to win the game.  

1 minute ago, TheStatGuy said:

Didn't you say u were quitting?

Youre an idiot

Just now, DT said:

I thought thay had more confidence in that defense.  Both offenses were sluggish all night and showed little firepower.  CG had given no indication it was ready to drive 80 yards in 50 seconds to win the game.  

Which even further reinforces the decision to go for it. Win the game here and if not fall back on your defense that had been playing lights out all night. You’re not going to get any Cathedral fan to turn on Peebles decision to go for it. It was the right call.

• Like 1

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Which even further reinforces the decision to go for it. Win the game here and if not fall back on your defense that had been playing lights out all night. You’re not going to get any Cathedral fan to turn on Peebles decision to go for it. It was the right call.

I highly doubt that.  90% of coaches would have punted.  The field was immediately slanted downhill for CG after the turnover on downs.  They slid right in almost uncontested.  The kid who caught the TD pass was wide open.  CHS fell apart after the CG stop on 4th down

1 minute ago, DT said:

I highly doubt that.  90% of coaches would have punted.  The field was immediately slanted downhill for CG after the turnover on downs.  They slid right in almost uncontested.  The kid who caught the TD pass was wide open.  CHS fell apart after the CG stop on 4th down

It wasn’t slanted immediately downfield. At some point you’re going to have to give CG credit. Jackson completed some big 3rd downs along the way and was composed as he faced immense pressure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DT said:

If I have 225lb Carson Steele running behind CGs mammoth offensive line, yes, I go for it on 4th and 1 to seal the game.  The Cathedral back is a 200lber and the CG D line will generally handle any offensive line in the state, including Cathedral.  Peebles panicked and decided to get fancy.  That play had fumble written all over it based solely on the risky exchange.

First and foremost, thought you weren’t commenting for the rest of the season. Shallow promise as usual, DT.

Peebles didn’t panic. That was his go-to all season in a crunch and at the goal line. With the way Langdon was breaking tackles, it was a bit cavalier to run a jet sweep. Peebles suspended Cam for Q1, so they both were probably hugging out a big play to seal the game. But, Cam was never in this one. Did he have more than one reception? Big void for this big game. 

I vehemently disagreed with the @Indystar about special teams, but punting destroyed the Irish tonight.  We still had the better kicker, and, evidently, long snapper. But field position and our scare factor About our kicking inefficiency in the 4th with 1:13 proved to be too much. 

Great game. Heartbreaker for CHS faithful. Dammit

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

6 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

First and foremost, thought you weren’t commenting for the rest of the season. Shallow promise as usual, DT.

I felt compelled to comment after watching the entire game

Peebles didn’t panic. That was his go-to all season in a crunch and at the goal line. With the way Langdon was breaking tackles, it was a bit cavalier to run a jet sweep. Peebles suspended Cam for Q1, so they both were probably hugging out a big play to seal the game. But, Cam was never in this one. Did he have more than one reception? Big void for this big game. 

I vehemently disagreed with the @Indystar about special teams, but punting destroyed the Irish tonight.  We still had the better kicker, and, evidently, long snapper. But field position and our scare factor About our kicking inefficiency in the 4th with 1:13 proved to be too much. 

Great game. Heartbreaker for CHS faithful. Dammit

Arent you one of the guys who were targeting a perfect season?

2 minutes ago, DT said:

All the momentum shifted to CG on that play. 

Really!?! I never would have thought a 4th down stop would have shifted momentum. A yard and Cathedral is two kneels away from going undefeated while playing one of the toughest schedules in the country. 

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Its kind of a joke that they are playing in the 5A tournament.

Is that Cathedral’s problem? You weren’t saying this the last 3-4 years.

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Arent you one of the guys who were targeting a perfect season?

Do any teams actually try and target a loss?

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

It was a terrible decision to go for it and even worse play call.  1. Why risk giving good field position where CG only has to go 25 yards to get in FG range?  2.  CG can't throw the ball consistently at all so the likelihood of them going 60 yards to potentially get a tying FG attempt is very slim.  3. If you do insist being aggressive and trying to end it right there why not give it to Langdon who CG couldn't tackle the entire 4th quarter?  At the end of the day Peebles gave CG all the momentum with 2 bad decisions and it cost the Irish the game.  That said they're going to roll to a 5A title with little to no resistance and this game will be forgotten.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DT said:

Burus is 6-8, 315 and DeGraaf is 6-6 315.  I didnt see anybody that size on the CHS O LIne

LT 6'5" 330 lbs 
LG 6'5" 300 lbs 
C 6'1" 260 lbs 
RG 6'4" 275 lbs 
RT 6'6" 280 lbs 
TE 6'3" 235 lbs
TE 6'5" 215 lbs 

looks like a pretty big O-line to me. The Irish RB may weigh 25 lbs less than Steele, but I doubt anyone that watches that game would say he was any less of a tough RB especially in that 4th qtr. heck he’s the one that was making big runs in that drive.

Most coaches with very good offenses would have went for it in 4th and 1 (including Coach Moore). In hindsight probably should have fed the ball to Langdon who was running very strong. Jordan wasn’t having the best game either. That play however has been a go to especially on goal line. I can see why it was called. It was a gamble and didn’t work this time.

as far as the last drive. The Irish got CG into 3rd downs. CG’s QB and WR’s made some big plays and they won. Both of these teams are excellent. Both coaching staffs have a great pulse for their team. They have great confidence in both their offense and defense. Better than someone who has never coached or called plays at the HS level. Other than armchair QB what are your Coaching qualifications? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

It was a terrible decision to go for it and even worse play call.  1. Why risk giving good field position where CG only has to go 25 yards to get in FG range?  2.  CG can't throw the ball consistently at all so the likelihood of them going 60 yards to potentially get a tying FG attempt is very slim.  3. If you do insist being aggressive and trying to end it right there why not give it to Langdon who CG couldn't tackle the entire 4th quarter?  At the end of the day Peebles gave CG all the momentum with 2 bad decisions and it cost the Irish the game.  That said they're going to roll to a 5A title with little to no resistance and this game will be forgotten.

You’re telling me Coach Ralph punts it right there? No chance.

Agree wholeheartedly on the play call. The result of the play makes the decision look even worse, that’s called hindsight which to this day remains undefeated. Cathedral’s punting woes earlier in the game were well-documented as Cathedral punted from the same area of the field into the same wind. I think the people advocating for a punt automatically assume Cathedral’s punter was going to pin CG deep?? He failed to do so 3-4 other times in the game punting from the same area of the field.

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Agree wholeheartedly on the play call. The result of the play makes the decision look even worse, that’s called hindsight which to this day remains undefeated. Cathedral’s punting woes earlier in the game were well-documented as Cathedral punted from the same area of the field into the same wind. I think the people advocating for a punt automatically assume Cathedral’s punter was going to pin CG deep?? He failed to do so 3-4 other times in the game punting from the same area of the field.

Kyle Neddenriep did an awesome job covering this game on twitter.  I was watching his updates while at the Delta vs NP game.  We had quite the discussion when the 4th down call came up...punt to CG with no timeouts or go for it.  That's a tough one.  Touchback is most likely, you are just trying to get the ball out of there, right?  So you're looking at losing 25 yards of field position or go for the win?  Gutsy call, and you are 100% right, Coach Ralph would have gone for it.

You have a play you like and it doesn't work out.  You trusted the offense to get the job done.  And you handed the ball off to your best playmaker...he gets the first down...game over.  You punt the ball, and CG still may drive the field and score.  That's what makes this game so fun!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

That play however has been a go to especially on goal line. I can see why it was called. It was a gamble and didn’t work this time.

Definitely a feast or famine play. Has worked well for the Irish many times but also left them snakebitten a few times as well. It did for sure last night and if you can remember it did as well in last years regional game. Up 10-7 nearing the end of the third quarter, ran that play TWICE inside the 3 yard line and it fooled nobody and New Pal stuffed it twice. Completely flipped the script and we saw the outcome. Cathedral ran that play last night earlier in the 4th quarter with no success and when Jordan came in motion everyone in the building knew what play was coming.

17 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

No chance Coach Ralph punts there, you're absolutely right.  Still doesn't make it necessarily the best decision. My point is you make an offense that can't consistently throw it go as far as possible in that situation. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Touchback is most likely, you are just trying to get the ball out of there, right?  So you're looking at losing 25 yards of field position or go for the win?  Gutsy call, and you are 100% right, Coach Ralph would have gone for it.

If Peebles thought there was even a chance of a touchback he probably punts it. But that wasn’t happening. Cathedral was on CG’s 46 on the 4th down play. Would have had to hit it at least 40 yards in the air from where he punted for a touchback to even be a possibility. Punted from the same spot on the field earlier and had a 12 yard net punt. The decision to go for it wasn’t hard at all. Just didn’t execute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Definitely a feast or famine play. Has worked well for the Irish many times but also left them snakebitten a few times as well. It did for sure last night and if you can remember it did as well in last years regional game. Up 10-7 nearing the end of the third quarter, ran that play TWICE inside the 3 yard line and it fooled nobody and New Pal stuffed it twice. Completely flipped the script and we saw the outcome. Cathedral ran that play last night earlier in the 4th quarter with no success and when Jordan came in motion everyone in the building knew what play was coming.

actually I think that was the first drive where they settled for the made FG.  Up 10-7 inside the 7 yard line, they ran inside zone, outside zone opposite the jet motion, and then the QB pulled the ball on third down and then missed the FG

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

If Peebles thought there was even a chance of a touchback he probably punts it. But that wasn’t happening. Cathedral was on CG’s 46 on the 4th down play. Would have had to hit it at least 40 yards in the air from where he punted for a touchback to even be a possibility. Punted from the same spot on the field earlier and had a 12 yard net punt. The decision to go for it wasn’t hard at all. Just didn’t execute.

has punting been an issue all year?

30 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

actually I think that was the first drive where they settled for the made FG.  Up 10-7 inside the 7 yard line, they ran inside zone, outside zone opposite the jet motion, and then the QB pulled the ball on third down and then missed the FG

has punting been an issue all year?

Just read on Twitter when Kyle Neddenriep asked Coach Peebles about the 4th and 1 call said he’s go for it again but maybe a different call Langdon has been running hard, getting yards. “This one’s in me”.

punting definitely wasn’t going well. They also do a QB quick kick. I personally feel Coach Peebles has confidence in his offense and wanted to just go for it to end the game. Probably wishes he would have ran the ball with Langdon but who knows. Coach Peebles like Coach Ralph are not afraid to gamble and both love and believe in their kids. They are great coaches as is coach Moore.

Terrific game though. Everyone thought it was going to be a lot of points but the defense from both teams took control. I was expecting a close game but not as low of scoring 17-13.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SEXYMOFO said:

They won't have s close game in the playoffs so y'all don't need to worry about that

Hubris

Which also describes Pebbles play call

Landon late spurt was more the result of a breakdown in CGs tackling than anything else. The CG announcers were critical of the Trojan D late in the game and clearly called this out.   Watch the tape.  It's obvious