Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Are seniors allowed to play JV

21 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

I absolutely don’t like anything about this guy.  Constantly thinks he’s better than everyone else, talks down to people.  I truly can’t say what I want to say on this board, but if you can imagine it, I’m thinking it.

DT's only agenda is to stir up controversy and discussion, and he's good at it. He's the Skip Bayless of the GID.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

DT's only agenda is to stir up controversy and discussion, and he's good at it. He's the Skip Bayless of the GID.

But I get paid far less than Skip  

Probably one of the few times I'll agree with DT although probably wouldn't be as brazen about it. I guess it probably does all depend on the size of the school though. Like others have said, I view freshman/JV teams as purely developmental and a senior taking away valuable playing time from an underclassman undermines the purpose. Do understand the point of view though where if a senior or two plays than it actually allows for a JV team to be fielded and that I can get behind. 

15 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Probably one of the few times I'll agree with DT although probably wouldn't be as brazen about it. I guess it probably does all depend on the size of the school though. Like others have said, I view freshman/JV teams as purely developmental and a senior taking away valuable playing time from an underclassman undermines the purpose. Do understand the point of view though where if a senior or two plays than it actually allows for a JV team to be fielded and that I can get behind. 

If you need seniors to be able to field a JV  team, then you have a huge numbers problem.  Are you saying that if you can just scrape together 11 guys to jump on the bus and drive across town to play a game that you have done your job ?  Thats ludicrous.  Kids are not supposed to be on the field for every single offensive, defensive and special teams play in a game.  This is how people get hurt and broken down.  Certainly you are going to have two way players, but even they deserve some plays off during ball transition to catch a breath.  Ive seen several stories on this forum where varsity buses have showed up to play with 15 players.  Thats a joke at the varsity level, let alone JV or frosh.  

This is where contraction comes into place.  Admins and coaches owe student athletes a safe and competitive environment in which to play.  If they cannot provide that due to low numbers, poor equipment, no insurance, or lack of community support, then they should not send these kids out into harms way.

8 minutes ago, DT said:

If you need seniors to be able to field a JV  team, then you have a huge numbers problem.  Are you saying that if you can just scrape together 11 guys to jump on the bus and drive across town to play a game that you have done your job ?  Thats ludicrous.  Kids are not supposed to be on the field for every single offensive, defensive and special teams play in a game.  This is how people get hurt and broken down.  Certainly you are going to have two way players, but even they deserve some plays off during ball transition to catch a breath.  Ive seen several stories on this forum where varsity buses have showed up to play with 15 players.  Thats a joke at the varsity level, let alone JV or frosh.  

This is where contraction comes into place.  Admins and coaches owe student athletes a safe and competitive environment in which to play.  If they cannot provide that due to low numbers, poor equipment, no insurance, or lack of community support, then they should not send these kids out into harms way.

There's a lot of truth to what you say, but in the event it takes 1-2 seniors to field a JV team I guess I don't have a problem with it. Then again I don't know what senior would want to actually play JV but there isn't a rule prohibiting it. 

The best sport of football, may just be the Unified Flag Football. I think most of us should watch them play and realize what the game is all about. Maybe we can take some of that over to contact football. Yes, we like to see competitiveness in contact football, but we need some of the humility, grace, & sportsmanship from Unified.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Basementbias said:

The best sport of football, may just be the Unified Flag Football. I think most of us should watch them play and realize what the game is all about. Maybe we can take some of that over to contact football. Yes, we like to see competitiveness in contact football, but we need some of the humility, grace, & sportsmanship from Unified.

Absolutely!!!   I know @CoachAnderson has been very much involved in that !! 

Just now, Coach Nowlin said:

Absolutely!!!   I know @CoachAnderson has been very much involved in that !! 

I've not saw it in person, but it popped up in my google feed last year. I loved reading about it. I'd love to see it grow throughout the state. Also wondered if there was a paralympic type football, or if unified encompassed that.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:06 AM, DT said:

If a senior has any personal pride, he would not step on the field for a jV game

Better to quit and join show choir

Interesting response here  Running 50/50

What do you do with the 12th grade student, probably a so-so athlete at best,  who decides to play football for the first time?  This may even be the first time this young man has decided to try extracurricular athletics. 

Is he quietly persuaded to quit the team during summer workouts and practices?   Does he ride the pine on the varsity squad for the entire season?  Or is he allowed to play in junior varsity games?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What do you do with the 12th grade student, probably a so-so athlete at best,  who decides to play football for the first time?  This may even be the first time this young man has decided to try extracurricular athletics. 

Is he quietly persuaded to quit the team during summer workouts and practices?   Does he ride the pine on the varsity squad for the entire season?  Or is he allowed to play in junior varsity games?

We have a young man, who has never played orgainzied ball before, he is a SR, he started playing JV games this year for us, then got caught up to speed on the game and what we do, and worked is way onto our special teams and has filled in at times during Varsity games.   

I would reckon that without him playing JV at all, he would not have been able to make those strides to get ready for Friday nights. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Exactly....what do you do ???

Well looky here...

15 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

We have a young man, who has never played orgainzied ball before, he is a SR, he started playing JV games this year for us, then got caught up to speed on the game and what we do, and worked is way onto our special teams and has filled in at times during Varsity games.   

I would reckon that without him playing JV at all, he would not have been able to make those strides to get ready for Friday nights. 

Love it !!!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

He can play as much as he wants, particularly if he’s put in the work in the weight room. It might be good for the coaches as well, so they can refine how they teach techniques by teaching them to him.

21 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

He can play as much as he wants, particularly if he’s put in the work in the weight room. It might be good for the coaches as well, so they can refine how they teach techniques by teaching them to him.

You sure about that?  And so a 17 year old, and not an OMG Athlete!,  who has never played tackle football before can be "coached up" in a matter of weeks to be at the same level as a 15-year JV player who has been playing tackle football for 5-6 years? 

21 hours ago, Muda69 said:

? You make it sound as if government school teachers are somehow in prison.   Interesting faux pas..................

ha ha, I think I worded it oddly.  When they move to the private sector.  Move from public civil servant duty.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

You sure about that?  And so a 17 year old, and not an OMG Athlete!,  who has never played tackle football before can be "coached up" in a matter of weeks to be at the same level as a 15-year JV player who has been playing tackle football for 5-6 years? 

Why not?

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, DT said:

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect example why I have not participated since the end of last season. 

With the exception of our head coach, not aware of meeting any other member face to face. Yet based on their conduct on GID I have the utmost respect for Coach Nowlin and zero respect for the clickbaiter. Truth means nothing to him, contradicts himself regularly, and pontificates as if he knows more than any coach or official that has dedicated themselves to teaching this game to young people. Solely for the purpose of racking up points for his profile. 

Suspend my privileges if you must, at this point nothing lost. I will miss the insights that coaches, officials, and media members offer. Just can’t handle that someone would call BS on someone of Coach Nowlin’s character. 

Personally I consider that a more vicious personal attack than anything I have said. I’m done.

• Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1

4 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

With the exception of our head coach, not aware of meeting any other member face to face. Yet based on their conduct on GID I have the utmost respect for Coach Nowlin and zero respect for the clickbaiter. Truth means nothing to him, contradicts himself regularly, and pontificates as if he knows more than any coach or official that has dedicated themselves to teaching this game to young people. Solely for the purpose of racking up points for his profile. 

Suspend my privileges if you must, at this point nothing lost. I will miss the insights that coaches, officials, and media members offer. Just can’t handle that someone would call BS on someone of Coach Nowlin’s character. 

Personally I consider that a more vicious personal attack than anything I have said. I’m done.

That’s sad you can you let someone bother you. Just tune people out, don’t respond, or respond to posts you like.

7 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

I believe the "BS" was called on DanteEstonia.

But I digress.

Why are you so offended by my argument for no seniors on JV.  I gave my reasons clearly and concisely.  Is this forum not a place to express our opinions?

I get called out here everyday.  Dont I have the right to do the same?

Double standard

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

Gump Wave GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY