Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2 A Sectional 40

17 hours ago, South Paw said:

That one didn't have much. Sectionals had already been drawn, and Tell City wasn't playing for an undefeated season since the loss to Southridge. I would rather make sure my horses stayed healthy heading into sectionals than risk losing one of them in a game against a team with 1 win. I don't know what their thought process was but if they played 99 more times Tell City would win all of them unless it was COVID related or they were sitting their best kids on purpose.

Yes, I've seen tons of games like that and I've seen our coaches get the JV kids in early but I don't recall in my long history of watching my team play that they ever lost a game to a huge underdog team because they didn't care if they lost.  Not ever at Linton.  Every loss for the Miners is an unwanted stain.  That's just the way it is.  Maybe it's not that important at some other places.

13 minutes ago, kingtut said:

Yes, I've seen tons of games like that and I've seen our coaches get the JV kids in early but I don't recall in my long history of watching my team play that they ever lost a game to a huge underdog team because they didn't care if they lost.  Not ever at Linton.  Every loss for the Miners is an unwanted stain.  That's just the way it is.  Maybe it's not that important at some other places.

I typically agree with you, and can't speak for what the actual situation was at TC. Just trying to hypothesize how they lost that game after their previous performances and taking Southridge to the wire. I went to Castle, and we never gave anyone anything. Sure we played reserves early a lot, but losing was unacceptable. We would have never lived down a loss like that. There would have been a lot of hell and puking the next day. Different times. I was talking to someone from South Spencer last night, and they heard that Tell City was dealing with some injuries and possible COVID holdouts. Must have been some pretty significant injuries. Good luck this weekend.

Miners Face Tough Test at 6-2 Tell City To Kick-Off Post-Season 

The 8 teams in 2A Sectional 40 range from winless 0-5 Crawford County and 2-7 South Spencer to the regular favorites 5-4 Evansville Mater Dei and 6-3 Linton.  This year you have to add 6-2 Tell City to that list of favorites, and certainly 5-2 North Knox.   5-3 North Posey and 6-3 Forest Park round out a group that has 6 of its 8 teams with winning seasons.  Most folks around these parts of southwestern Indiana have put the Marksmen and of course the Wildcats at the top of the list of favorites, and the draw set up that very scenario.  That is, unless, The Miners, Warriors, or even the Vikings or Rangers have a chance to change those thoughts.

North Knox travels to Ferdinand to face a team on the rise in the Forest Park Rangers.  Their 6-5 2019 season was their first +.500 season since an 8-3 2010.  The Rangers first full season was actually 2008, so that was a relative quick rise to success, but playing in the tough PAC year in and out took its toll on the Rangers playing the likes of Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, Southridge, as well as Perry Central.  At 6-3 the Rangers are coming in off a 38-0 shellacking from unbeaten 3A Southridge.  That ended a 3 game winning streak over 3A Pike Central (49-6), 1A Springs Valley (41-26) and 2A South Spencer (42-7).  However those teams have a cumulative 3-21 W-L record.  Against winning programs the Rangers still have much to prove.  In addition to the Southridge loss, they fell 25-0 to Tell City (6-2), and 29-20 to Mt. Vernon (5-2).  Their big win this year was in week 2’s 41-12 win over 1A 6-3 Perry Central.  North Knox is coming off their best year of Warrior Football (8-4) since 2014, and reached the sectional championship game last year falling to Mater Dei 35-6.  The Warriors have been warriors this year battling the Covid issue losing games last minute and adding games the next minute, still ended up playing only 7 of the 9 scheduled games.  They’ve won 3 in a row, including last week’s 42-0 romp over 4-3 4A Indianapolis Crispus Attucks, 49-17 over 4-4 1A North Daviess, and the gem of their year a 27-14 win over Linton. Their first win over Linton since 2009.  They lone losses came in week 1 to 3A 6-3 Sullivan 48-19, and in a late added game against 2A 5-4 Rensselaer Central 35-19.  The Warriors and Rangers have met up twice in the last three years I post-season.  NK won last year 25-0 at Warrior Field, with the Rangers winning in 2017 27-14 at the same place

Many folks casually scanning scores last Saturday morning we no doubt stunned by the 35-26 result of South Spencer knocking off previous 6-1 Tell City.  I admit, hearing that score on the Sports Talk network on the car radio coming home from Clarksville stunned me.  Briefly.  But I knew there had to be more to that story and there was.  Tell City was without 5 starters, and 3 of those were 2-way starters, and this happened last minute, so the Marksmen were hampered severely.  This was evident on 3 pass plays accounting for scores…essentially blown coverages that one would assume would not have occurred with their normal senior starters in the game.  Meanwhile the Miners have won 2 in a row, a 56-0 slashing of Eastern Greene (1A 1-8) , and last week’s long road trip to defeat Providence 27-7 (2A 3-5).  At 6-3 their big win of 2020 was a 22-16 overtime thriller of 3A 5-3 Sullivan. The 3 losses have come to unbeaten 3A Southridge (28-0), to 4-3 4A Boonville 44-42 in Overtime, and 27-14 to 5-2 2A North Knox.  The Marksmen, under first year coach Mac Webb, are 6-2.  The 6 wins are the most for the program in a single year since a 6-4 2013, and before that a 6-4 2006 season. You have to go back to 2000 to see a high win total- 8-4 in 2000.  Linton has had only 1 losing season (5-6 2018) in the last 20 years.  Brian Oliver has been at the helm 8 years with a 79-20 mark over-all.  Both schools lost to Southridge, but Tell City’s was down to the wire (14-12) while Linton was blanked in week 1 (28-0).  Course week one was a long time ago.  Both teams should be at full strength tonight, as it should be.  Linton and Tell City despite being in southern Indiana, have only met one time to my knowledge.  In Linton’s 2015 run to a runner up 1A trophy Linton ran over the Marksmen 76-8 in the opening sectional round at Linton.

South Spencer truly has nothing to lose in playing Evansville Mater Dei tonight.  I am pretty sure that nobody will have the Rebels in this game.  When you consider the 5-4 Wildcats, under 25th year coach Mike Goebel, you have to look into their schedule. It’s said year in and year out- they are a 2A school playing a 3A-4A schedule.  The SIAC is brutal for anyone, but Mater Dei is always in the hunt for top honors in Evansville.  They are coming off a 40-20 handling of 4A 3-6 Evansville Reitz, and have won their last 4- including 49-15 over 4A Harrison (1-8), 56-6 over Bosse (0-8), and a huge 29-14 win over 5A North (5-4).  Their 4 losses were to powerhouse programs in Southwestern Indiana.  But even the losses were impressive in that twice they lost by only 3 points (6-3 to 5A Castle (5-3), 13-10 to 4A Memorial 6-3). The othes were Unbeaten 4A Central (21-0) and 28-14 to 4A Jasper (7-2). The Rebels under Jeff Daming in his first year at South Spencer were in the midst of a 4 game losing skid when they upset the 6 and now 2 Tell City Marksman last week in Reo. Despite the game facts given in the above paragraph, a win is still a win.  The Rebels put up 35 points on a team who had given up on 34 all season long.  It has to give the players at S.Spencer some confidence going into Evansville Friday.  The other “W” came in week three with a 48-0 win over winless 3A Pike Central. They put up 28 in a 42-28 loss to 2-7 3A Princeton, but have had trouble putting points on the board against every one else (less that 7 points in each of 6 games).  These teams have met in 2016 (56-20 Mater Dei; 2015 63-22 Mater Dei; 2012 42-0 Mater Dei; 2009 12-0 Mater Dei and 2007 35-13 Mater Dei and 4 more losses back to 1994).  So yeah, it’s a big mountain to climb for the Rebels to shock the state, but never say never.

The Vikings of North Posey are on a roll.  They were 2-3 after back to back to back losses to Southridge (55-21) Tell City (35-17) and a tough double over time loss to Heritage Hills (35-34).  But they are currently on a 3 game winning streak with wins over Tecumseh 27-15, South Spencer 27-7 and last week Pike Central 58-15.  Now, we know the level of competition has been considerably different in those subsets.  Those first three schools WL was 18-7, compared to the last three at 4-18 .  Yet winning breeds a winning attitude too.  The Vikings under 4th year coach Waylon Schenk started off with 2 wins--- 30-6 over South Spencer (yes, they played twice), and a 22-7 win over Princeton.  The draw was very kind to them with the Wolfpack of Crawford Country being their first round opponent.  Not offense meant for those kids trying to field a team in tough conditions in Marengo with low numbers as it is.  But they have yet to have a winning season in their existence (starting in 2007).  They’ve only tallied more that 2 wins in a season once (4 in 2008). They’ve played 5 games in 2020, losing each of them substantially, giving up 55 points a game.  The lost last week to 1A Tecumseh 51-14, and have played some good teams in 6-3 3A North Harrison, 6-3 2A Paoli, and 6-3 1A Perry Central.  I don’t see that these teams have met prior to this game.  Coach Tony Bell is at the helm for Crawford County, and regardless of the outcome they should be applauded for keeping the program alive and those kids who go out an play full tilt every week. 

So there you have it.  I think the NK-FP game along with the Linton TC game are the ones of interest tonight.  The winner between the Warriors and Rangers will probably saddle up against Mater Dei.   The Miners and Marksmen likely to face North Posey. My personal feeling is North Knox will be too much for the Rangers… but I haven’t seen Forest Park play. I am just looking at number crunching.  The Linton Tell City matchup is enticing.  I can’t help..even as a Miner guy… feeling uneasy that the Marksmen are such a power running team, and that even though that is the pride of Miner Football---shutting down rushing attacks… we got embarrassed with North Knox running all over the field.  I have to feel the Linton kids are going to respond to that with a re-focus… and perhaps a bit of a wake-up call.  The defense certainly played their best collective game last week against a solid Providence team.  For the Marksmen… this is a big game for their program.  They’ve been one and done in 9 of the last 10 sectionals.  Only in 2000 have they reached the sectional championship (losing to of course mater Dei).  Linton since moving up to 2A has at least won their first round, and have always been considered at least a dark horse if not a co-favorite most years.  But yet, they’ve not been able to make noise in Sectional 48 with the win necessary.  So it’s as big a game for the Miners as the Marksmen.  I hope the weather doesn’t factor in things… but we’ve been awfully luck with weather this year!

Good Luck to All Teams  

• Like 1

Anyway-- I figured I’d get some info... some reading stuff about Linton so you have a feel for how things are going as we head into this very good Tell City Team.  I know they lost last week but that would not have happened without 5 of their kids quarantined last minute. 3 of those 2-way starters.  I would not have thought South Spencer would win anyway... but they hit a couple long TD passes in the 3rd.  Everyone talks about the marksmen's defense understandably so... until last week they had not given up more than 17... and actually had not let anyone score other than Southridge (14) and North Posey (17).   That Southridge game was a dogfight.  TC was stopped on a 4th down late in the game in Southridge territory... but a bad snap over QBs head gave TC a chance... they had to drive about 60-70 yards. . converted a long 4th down... had to pass which they don't do... and scored on a pass right at the end.  But the ran a 2-point play and got stuffed.    We lost 28-0 to Southridge, and could not do anything offensively.  Defense actually did play well.  But....that was week 1.  Linton is much better than in week 1, and better than they showed against NK a few weeks back.

I think every week Linton had improved in various aspects of the game until the NK game. The following week we learned nothing from slamming Eastern, but I think going to Providence and dominating them as they did show the team had re-focused... with some changes along the way.  Coaches are still moving kids around, and some kids are just coming into their own at the right time.  There is so much more depth now, and more one way players... altho I think we will see the best 11 on the field on both sides of the ball this week regardless. 

Tell City starts 9 seniors on offense.  the Line is all seniors. Defense goes with 8 seniors. Linton and TC are alike in that both have 4 players that carry the ball effective, and any of the four could be the start that night.  With Linton it starts with Hunter Gennicks at QB (since week 2).  He was 572 yards 10 TDs in 98 carries. . tops in all three categories. Drew Smith is more the up the middle tough yards guy, with 390 on 71.  Trey Goodman, the QB last year, and for most of the year prior, moved to WB (on his suggestion) in week 2, and had 404 yards on 81 carries 7 TDs.  Kaolin Padgett is the fastest Miner, finally allowed to play in week 3.  he's added 344 yards on 41 touches and 4 scores. All of these guys are at 5 or more yards per carry.  All are underclassmen with exception of Goodman.  For the Marksmen it's the opposite as 3 of their 4 backs are seniors.  The lone junior is QB Aden Dodson.   They line up in a wishbone style set up, double tight ends... everything tight. But they also do the double wing with the same personnel, as well as spread out putting 4 receivers double wide.  #11 Keaton Lloyd leads the team in rush yards with 499 and 6 TDs on just 33 carries while #22 Bren Miller adds 395 yards 6 scores on a team high 65 carries.  The FB is Hunter Backport #28 with 41 carries 200 yards and 3 scores.  Dodson adds 220 yards and 47 touches with a team high 7 scores.  Both teams are heavy running teams:  Linton 2,013 yards  223.67 per game, Tell City 1,750 yards  250.0  per game.  Linton has 30 rushing TD's, while TC has 26.  but look at the rushing attempts... Linton 314 Tell City 315!! 

Neither team could say they have a strong passing game, but the numbers show Linton to have an edge; Dodson has only thrown 22 passes in the 8 games I have on file.  He is 9 of those 22 for 166 yards, 4 TDs (which proves the defense is certainly not looking for the pass!) and 1 INT.  The bulk of this passing came in 2 games. one was 4-5 for 72 against woeful Springs Valley, but the other was in that tough loss to Southridge.  Dodson was forced to go the air on the final TD drive and did complete some big passes, including the TD score to Lloyd.  he was 3 of 6 for 63 yards in that game.  They didn't pass at all in 2 games, and he was 2 for 11 in the other three.  In short... they don't pass because they haven't had too, but it looked like they could in those final minutes against Southridge.  They went in to a passing set with a SE to either side usually Miller and #21 Reinecker... and put #11 Lloyd in a slot.  He seems to be the go to guy...as has 4 of the catches and both 2 TDs 981 yards).  They have a big TE in #15 Kaiser 6'4 190.. but he has no catches that I see, although I did see him at SE one on one in several other games…. Big target at 6’4.    I am sure the Miners will play to stop the run and force the pass... or at lease see if the passing game is viable.  For me... this means we will get burned on at least one long TD pass. Now Linton has been working on the passing game all season.  We have double digit pass attempts in 7 of 9 games and at least 7 in each.  I know that's not mind-blowing numbers, but for Linton it is LOL.  Anytime you can add success ...even mild success... at passing it really helps set up the run success.  The problem has been consistency.  One game Gennicks in on target and we can get 120 to 190 yards in the air.  But on another game or even within the game itself he will be just off a bit, or we get dropped passes.   Teams do not expect Linton to pass....so the opportunity is usually there.  I also think Gennicks is maturing...as he has learned to throw the ball away... and even just eat it and take the sack rather than try to force something.  Goodman tried to force in week one and threw 3 key picks against Southridge that directly led to 14 points.  Hunter is 52 of 101 passing 51.5%, for 830 yards.   He's also hit on 13 TD passes against just 2 interceptions.  Main receiver is #24 Eli Poe, with 24 catches 315 yards 5 TD.  He's a lanky kid with good hands and goes after the ball.  Of course the wingbacks are part of the passing- Goodman with 13 for 191 and 2 TD, Padgett  4 for 113 and 2 TD, and even Smith with a couple screens in 3 catches for 44 yards.  We have been using the TE as well... and have a couple of them... Levi Grounds (#8) 2 for 26 and Bracey Breneman (#44) caught 36 yards score last week.  #12 Hunter Johns comes in at WB as well, and he has 2 catches for 45 yard and a score.  I think it will be key for Linton to complete some short passes and loosen up that Tell City defense because I am sure they will load the box.  Also, key will be if Gennicks has time to roll out and see the field.  An advantage I feel to Linton is Gennicks open field running.... ability to elude, and those bootlegs are scary for defenses.  He sometimes shows flashes of Tyler Meurer in those situations... but just a sophomore.   In fact, in all those names I've mentioned... only Goodman and Grounds are seniors.

QB

Gennicks, Hunter

5'10

RB

Smith, Drew

6'2

RB

Goodman, Trey

6'1

WB

Padgett, Kaolin

5'8

TE

Goodman, Cameron

6'3

WR

Poe, Eli

6'1

RB

Johns, Hunter

5'8

RB

Eslinger, Gabe

6'0

TE

Breneman, Bracey

5'11

OL

Grounds, Levi

5'10

QB

Dodson, Aden

5'11

RB

Miller, Bren

5'11

FB

Beckort, Hunter

5'9

RB

Lloyd, keaton

6'0

TE

Kaiser, Nigel

6'4

TE

Naviaux, Jaxon

5'9

LT

Wilgus, Ross

6'2

LG

Mathena, Dylan

6'5

C

Kirtley, Will

5'9

RG

Stahly, Alec

6'1

RT

Bolin, Chance

6'3

Up front Linton has been battling some level of minor injuries the last couple weeks.  My understanding is that everyone is ready to go this week.  It has been consistent, but coached keep searching and building depth.  Seniors and brothers Landon and Damien Giles have been mainstays at Tackle and Center. Damien has missed the last 2 games with a shoulder.  He was dressed last week but didn't see action but for a couple plays on defense.  In week 3 soph Wrigley Franklin got the start at Guard and has been there ever since... another soph, and younger brother of the Giles twins...  Aiden has been at Tackle all year.  Junior Donovan DeBruhl has been solid at Tackle as well.  But even better has been the development of depth.  Jurnior Dalton Carpenter is as much as starter as anyone.  He stepped in to start at Center in his freshman season in the post-season, and started all year last year.  He has started 2 or 3 games this year when anyone has missed time.  Levi Grounds is a senior who played O line all through high school, but rarely saw action. In fact, he was down with a back injury all of last year.  He made the switch to Tight End and started there all year until last week when suddenly he was back in a lineman's jersey and starting at Center against Providence!  So, there are 7 guys who can step in and play and we feel we don't lose anything.  Tell City has an all-senior offensive line.  Here is who I saw starting a couple weeks back...

Linton

LT

Giles, Aiden

6'2

LG

Franklin, Wrigley

6'2

C

Giles, Damien

6'2

RG

Giles, Landon

6'2

RT

DeBruhl, Donovan

6'0

OL

61/8

Grounds, Levi

5'10

OL

Carpenter, Dalton

5'10

Defense is the supposed specialty of the Tell City squad- The area that I hear people talk about.  I don’t have much in the way of numbers because the opponents haven’t posted much, in fact just 4 games.  I know they have 5 shutouts, and held Southridge to 14 points.  Southridge rushed for 249 against Linton, 185 against Tell City.  I know that South Spencer connected on a few big pass plays… but that 2 of the key defensive backfield guys were out last week. 

They area led in tackles by Kaiser the big 6’4 kid at safety with 45. The two ILB area next with Miller (38) and Beckort (32).  DE Braunecker (29) Mathena (25) and Rockwell (21) round out the top 6.  Miller has 2 picks of a team total 5, and 5.0 TFKL.  Rockwell leads in TFL with 6, and in Sacks with 3 (team 7).  They had a strange formation they used against Southridge where 3 of the 5 d linemen stood up.  Linebackers  had the two (28 and 22) with 11 behind them in a triangle.  However against Princeton and S.Spencer it looked more traditional looks.  #77 Arthur Cooper a 6’0 298 Senior was at DT in a lot of plays I saw. 

Linton Defense has looked like the above.  Damien Giles is in as much as Carpenter.... they seem to rotate.  It’s highly possible that we will be in a 5-3.  We ran this a lot earlier in the year with Carpenter at NT…   Smith leads the team with 79 tackles but Eslinger has come on strong.  He missed the ½ the Sullivan and all the Never game with an MCL sprain.  Since coming back he’s stayed on the defensive side.  He had 16 tackles last week… and has had 8.5 TFL the last 2 games.  He has 71 tackles, and 15 for loss including 3 sacks.  Grounds has really stepped up this year at DE.  He has been our pressure guy on QBs, has 6.5 sacks, 7 hurries as well as 29 tackles. Jaydan Miller has also been a key cog in this defense at Safety with 46 tackles.  Padgett has 5 interceptions, the Miners as a team have 12.  We will rotate guys quite a bit with both Giles brothers in the game, and Breneman spells both Smith and Eslinger at times.  Goodman seems to be in on obvious passing downs.  I should mention that #17 Cameron Goodman (Jr 6’3 200) played the whole game last week at DE… prolyl the starter.  He missed most all the year with an injury.  He’s been special teams a couple weeks, then coaches said he had a tremendous practice week pre-Providence and he started at TE and DE! 

My guess is that TC will come out just like NK did, and see if we can stop their run game.  It will be interesting to see if we learned anything from that NK situation.  I know the intensity factor will be raised compared to that game, but I know that 2.5 hours in a bus can deflate emotion pretty quick.  Even though most folks know TC was without 5 starters last week, and would have won with them… it still prolly sticks in their crawl to lost to 1-6 South Spencer.  So that will likely serve as motivation going into Friday.  I think Linton would have benefitted from a 49-6 TC win Friday more than the loss the Marksmen had.   All year we’ve had trouble with passing teams.  We do well for most the time, but there always seems to be a couple breakdowns that wind up being big scores for the opposition.  The DBs are gonna have to be safe against that.  A 5-man front means just 3 DB’s…. although Johns at OLB and Goodman if he is in… are both former CB’s….  The other issues I think big in this game is protection for Gennicks.  TC has a stunt defense.  I think we may have trouble with an inside game.  I think we could have trouble with TC disrupting the counter traps and things Linton typically runs if they can drive our lineman back.   Being able to pass the ball to hold back that rush might be the thing that gives the Miners an edge.   If we get dominated up front… well could be a long night, and a long trip home.

• Like 1

I just heard a rumor that Tell City will have a bunch out again tonight due to quarantine. If true, it could mean an early end to a very strong season they've had thus far. I'm hoping for their kids, especially their seniors, that it's nothing more than a rumor.

35 minutes ago, South Paw said:

I just heard a rumor that Tell City will have a bunch out again tonight due to quarantine. If true, it could mean an early end to a very strong season they've had thus far. I'm hoping for their kids, especially their seniors, that it's nothing more than a rumor.

20ish out is what I heard,  not sure how many regularly contribute.

Originally heard they thought they would have most of their players back from last week, but they had another issue again this week. Don’t know the details but it’s not good for TC

Round 2 is coming up

North Knox

Mater Dei

Will North Knox be able to score enough points against Mater Dei to make a game of it?  This one could be a lot closer than most people might think. 

North Posey

Linton

Will Linton's defense continue to dominate another opponent?  North Posey just put up a big score in round one.   However Crawford County isn't on the same level as Linton.  I see the Miners winning this one and moving to the title game.

• Haha 1

Don’t want to discredit the big win for Linton last night- but you gotta feel a little bit for Tell City last night being hit by the Rona bug at absolutely the worst time. 2020 in a nutshell I guess...

Having played both teams- at full strength, I believed it would be a nip/tuck type of game. Kuddos to Linton for getting it done- but now TC will be left to wonder “what might have been” had they had their full compliments of players.

Best of luck to the teams moving on and congrats to TC on a good year. Just a tough way for it to end

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

Don’t want to discredit the big win for Linton last night- but you gotta feel a little bit for Tell City last night being hit by the Rona bug at absolutely the worst time. 2020 in a nutshell I guess...

Having played both teams- at full strength, I believed it would be a nip/tuck type of game. Kuddos to Linton for getting it done- but now TC will be left to wonder “what might have been” had they had their full compliments of players.

Best of luck to the teams moving on and congrats to TC on a good year. Just a tough way for it to end

One has to feel bad for Tell City having a great season to end like that.  Obviously, they were not a full strength.  No doubt it would have been a more competitive game if Tell City had all the pieces intact.  The Miners are playing very well defensively and offensively right now and I think we would have won the game anyway but who knows.  I'm sure TC feels differently.  Linton has been fortunate thus far to not have had any covid issues.  The loss to North Knox three weeks ago seems to have been a needed wake-up call for the team and coaches.  A rematch with NK seemed unlikely when the playoffs began but not so much now.  North Knox is really rolling right now and beating Mater Dei is not out of the question and the Miners will be favored against North Posey at home.  Linton suffered a blow last night when their biggest and perhaps best lineman suffered what appears to be a broken leg.  The team seems to be really energized right now.

4 hours ago, kingtut said:

One has to feel bad for Tell City having a great season to end like that.  Obviously, they were not a full strength.  No doubt it would have been a more competitive game if Tell City had all the pieces intact.  The Miners are playing very well defensively and offensively right now and I think we would have won the game anyway but who knows.  I'm sure TC feels differently.  Linton has been fortunate thus far to not have had any covid issues.  The loss to North Knox three weeks ago seems to have been a needed wake-up call for the team and coaches.  A rematch with NK seemed unlikely when the playoffs began but not so much now.  North Knox is really rolling right now and beating Mater Dei is not out of the question and the Miners will be favored against North Posey at home.  Linton suffered a blow last night when their biggest and perhaps best lineman suffered what appears to be a broken leg.  The team seems to be really energized right now.

Yep, it's tough when players are healthy but out due to contact tracing.  I haven't seen Tell City or Linton, but I wouldn't be as confident that Linton would beat Tell City at full strength.  They took Southridge to the wire and Southridge is likely one of the top 5-6 teams in SW Indiana and beat you guys by 4 scores.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tango said:

Yep, it's tough when players are healthy but out due to contact tracing.  I haven't seen Tell City or Linton, but I wouldn't be as confident that Linton would beat Tell City at full strength.  They took Southridge to the wire and Southridge is likely one of the top 5-6 teams in SW Indiana and beat you guys by 4 scores.  

I was kind of same boat as king tut yes they had kids out but I only saw one kid out on the offense unless I was wrong which I could be maybe a tight end too. On defense I saw 3 kids out one being a corner and it’s not like we threw all over them. Again I could be wrong, but yes we did get beat by 4 scores to southridge but that was with a different player at QB and 2 wings that no longer play wing and still managed to have it 0-0 at half time. Like I said I could be 100% wrong about kids that were out just what I thought not trying to argue just didn’t feel like Linton was getting much credit even before that game.

I’m sure COVID will screw up my picks since I’m doing them this early, but I don’t care...I’m bored. I’m on my 2nd episode of finding Bigfoot tonight, and Bobo just isn’t as entertaining as usual. I have a sneaky suspicion that they don’t find Bigfoot again on this episode either.

MD 28-14 over NK
This could be a barn burner, but I’m sticking with the homer pick.

LS 35-14 over NP

3 hours ago, Footballfan said:

I was kind of same boat as king tut yes they had kids out but I only saw one kid out on the offense unless I was wrong which I could be maybe a tight end too. On defense I saw 3 kids out one being a corner and it’s not like we threw all over them. Again I could be wrong, but yes we did get beat by 4 scores to southridge but that was with a different player at QB and 2 wings that no longer play wing and still managed to have it 0-0 at half time. Like I said I could be 100% wrong about kids that were out just what I thought not trying to argue just didn’t feel like Linton was getting much credit even before that game.

The difference I see from the Southridge game to the Linton game is that on offense Tell City had 4 guys that did not play vs. Linton. On defense I see 5 guys that did not play vs. Linton. When we read in the Evansville Courier "Tell City dressed only 22 players for the sectional opener after practicing with just 16 the past two days. Several were asked to play out of position, particularly on defense." And "The other body blow came on Wednesday when nearly 20 players were placed under quarantine due to another positive case." I don't think anyone is saying that Linton is not a good team or that they are not playing well right now. I think we just don't think a win over Tell City under those conditions is something that anyone should be getting to excited about.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sr1 said:

The difference I see from the Southridge game to the Linton game is that on offense Tell City had 4 guys that did not play vs. Linton. On defense I see 5 guys that did not play vs. Linton. When we read in the Evansville Courier "Tell City dressed only 22 players for the sectional opener after practicing with just 16 the past two days. Several were asked to play out of position, particularly on defense." And "The other body blow came on Wednesday when nearly 20 players were placed under quarantine due to another positive case." I don't think anyone is saying that Linton is not a good team or that they are not playing well right now. I think we just don't think a win over Tell City under those conditions is something that anyone should be getting to excited about.

"We

On 10/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, kingtut said:

Agree, Tut.

Much as I want to see the Miners win - and you know how much that is - hated to see it happen with Tell City having players sidelined. And I’m sure the Miner players would have preferred to go against the Marksmen at full strength.

Unfortunate end to a great season for Tell City. The program has come a long way from 76-8 in 2015.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sr1 said:

"We"???  So now you are speaking for everyone else?  I find it strange how some people never demanded that South Spencer (what?) apologize for beating Tell City last week?  Some people want to make it sound like Linton should apologize for winning.  It isn't Linton's fault that Tell City was short handed.   What was Linton supposed to do, sit out all of their starters to make things more equal?   That isn't how things work.  What would have been better:  Tell City just forfeit?  At least the ones who showed up still played.  If things had been reversed, NO ONE would have cried for Linton losing and no one would have demanded that everyone feel sorry for Linton.   Everyone knew with this virus that this was a possibility of losing players (and games).  And YES, it STINKS!!!   Everyone talks about it, but unless it happens to their team, it's mostly just talk.  I mentioned covid being the dark horse in the tournament and got made fun of for saying it.  It IS the reality of life.   And now it's happened.  And as I said, "at least it wasn't a forfeit".  It could have been.  Linton won, the tournament continues and maybe down the road it happens to Linton or to YOUR team.   It's the way life works out sometimes.  IT IS WHAT IT IS!