Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2 A Sectional 40

29 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

"We"???  So now you are speaking for everyone else?  I find it strange how some people never demanded that South Spencer (what?) apologize for beating Tell City last week?  Some people want to make it sound like Linton should apologize for winning.  It isn't Linton's fault that Tell City was short handed.   What was Linton supposed to do, sit out all of their starters to make things more equal?   That isn't how things work.  What would have been better:  Tell City just forfeit?  At least the ones who showed up still played.  If things had been reversed, NO ONE would have cried for Linton losing and no one would have demanded that everyone feel sorry for Linton.   Everyone knew with this virus that this was a possibility of losing players (and games).  And YES, it STINKS!!!   Everyone talks about it, but unless it happens to their team, it's mostly just talk.  I mentioned covid being the dark horse in the tournament and got made fun of for saying it.  It IS the reality of life.   And now it's happened.  And as I said, "at least it wasn't a forfeit".  It could have been.  Linton won, the tournament continues and maybe down the road it happens to Linton or to YOUR team.   It's the way life works out sometimes.  IT IS WHAT IT IS!  

The we I posted is myself and the person sitting next to me at the time. Nobody said everyone else. Linton did what they are supposed to do. I, myself and possibly nobody else, just don't see why some Linton fans, on this or other threads, were so excited about how the game turned out. It is good for them they won but that result against the team that Tell City put on the field that night is expected.  Again I, myself only and possibly nobody else, am not saying that Linton did not play well or is not a good team. You beat a good team that was at about half strength that had a week of limited practice for many of their players in the spots they ended up in on Friday night. 

1 hour ago, Wildcat1992 said:

We didn't have much problem with it last year when we won 35-6.  That seems more relevant than a game against RC six years ago.

I've never seen anyone run that offense as well as it was run in the title game in 2014. That was a very impressive performance but I'm not sure we will see that level of execution and athletic ability. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

I've never seen anyone run that offense as well as it was run in the title game in 2014. That was a very impressive performance but I'm not sure we will see that level of execution and athletic ability. 

We played them this year...and right before the Linton game!  Let's say they still run it very well...and as a matter of fact, they taught us a lot about it...since said game our offense has improved a whole bunch.  I know it will take a really good game for us to beat Mater Dei...but, I like our chances better after playing Rensselear Central.  I think it will be a great game...just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

We played them this year...and right before the Linton game!  Let's say they still run it very well...and as a matter of fact, they taught us a lot about it...since said game our offense has improved a whole bunch.  I know it will take a really good game for us to beat Mater Dei...but, I like our chances better after playing Rensselear Central.  I think it will be a great game...just my opinion.

I'm sure they still do run it very well.  I am curious why you like your chances better after playing RC?  MD doesn't run an offense remotely close to what RC runs, so that won't help you.  I assume that you are referring to the level of competition that increases your odds?

2 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

We didn't have much problem with it last year when we won 35-6.  That seems more relevant than a game against RC six years ago.

Wasn't sure how long NK had been committed to it,  I know they are in it this year, I saw them execute it very well vs Linton.     I am sure Mater Dei is the heavy favorite, but just looking at scores only, it would seem that MD performed better in 2019 then so far in 2020, again scores only.   I have zero knowledge of MD season other than scores at this point, not sure if dealt with injuries, covid etc, but scores would seem to say that 2020 version is not the 2019 version.

Love the Wildcats as well the Warriors.   Looking forward to seeing the outcome of this one, hope all stay healthy and have a great Friday  

SECTIONAL 40
Evansville Mater Dei (6-4) at North Knox (6-2)
GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Warrior Field.
COACHES: Mike Goebel, 233-75 in 24th year at Mater Dei. Josh Chambers, 31-30 in 6th year at North Knox.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Mater Dei, 54.95, 118th overall, 14th in 2A. North Knox, 51.82, 133rd overall, 21st in 2A.
LAST OUTING: Mater Dei defeated South Spencer, 37-0. North Knox defeated Forest Park, 59-15.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Mater Dei 45-51. North Knox 36-38.
SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: Mater Dei, 3-0
LAST MEETING: Mater Dei, 35-6, Nov. 8, 2019, sectional.
jh PREDICTION: Mater Dei, 28-24.

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Wasn't sure how long NK had been committed to it,  I know they are in it this year, I saw them execute it very well vs Linton.     I am sure Mater Dei is the heavy favorite, but just looking at scores only, it would seem that MD performed better in 2019 then so far in 2020, again scores only.   I have zero knowledge of MD season other than scores at this point, not sure if dealt with injuries, covid etc, but scores would seem to say that 2020 version is not the 2019 version.

Love the Wildcats as well the Warriors.   Looking forward to seeing the outcome of this one, hope all stay healthy and have a great Friday  

2020 MD is not the same as 2019.  We lost a ton of good seniors.  We had a lot of young kids thrown to the wolves the first 5 games (Central, Memorial, Castle, Jasper and VL).  The defense has played well all year long and it looks like the youngsters on offense are coming together at the right time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

2020 MD is not the same as 2019.  We lost a ton of good seniors.  We had a lot of young kids thrown to the wolves the first 5 games (Central, Memorial, Castle, Jasper and VL).  The defense has played well all year long and it looks like the youngsters on offense are coming together at the right time.

Good Deal.   You always want to be playing your best come week 10,  no doubt.   

14 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I'm sure they still do run it very well.  I am curious why you like your chances better after playing RC?  MD doesn't run an offense remotely close to what RC runs, so that won't help you.  I assume that you are referring to the level of competition that increases your odds?

North Knox runs an offense similar to what RC runs. 

Football is a copycat sport and coaches are known thieves of plays, formations, schemes, etc.  My assumption is that he is saying they learned a few things playing a well-coached team like RC.  Running certain plays out of certain formation, blocking schemes vs D-lineman, setting up a counter by running a particular play the play before - all of those things can be gained from playing good competition and watching the game film.  

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I would also add that MD has played a tougher schedule this season than last season.  2019's Indian Creek and Whiting were replaced with Jasper and Vincennes Lincoln.  I scout both those games last year, and Jasper was significantly better.  I would argue Vincennes Lincoln was also an upgrade (to a lesser degree than Jasper obviously).  But I agree, @Wildcat1992, the results show exactly what you said.  MD was young, with a young QB, and not surprisingly, took some lumps early on playing a front-loaded schedule with 4 of 5 games against the top SIAC schools.  As always, MD isn't going to quit competing and Coach Goebel gets the most out of his kids.  The Wildcat D has been very good all year.  Holding Central to 21 points in Wk. 1 and Castle to 6 in Wk. 2 sure got our attention for our Wk. 4 match-up.  Starting with the North game in Wk. 6, the Wildcat O has really come around.  I think MD playing a tougher regular season and having a schedule gives them a big advantage over their 2A Sectional opponents.         

• Like 1

Greetings all....    First of all... I want to express how badly I felt and still feel for the kids and school.. and the fans of Tell City High School.  Clearly this was a year they were very high on with such a large group of seniors, and were having the season they thought they'd have heading into week 9 with the sectional draw laid out in front of them.   When I got there for the broadcast, I was told that the Virus had exploded in the community in the last 10 or so days.  However, teamwise, they were going to have 4 of the 5 players back that they had lost for the South Spencer game.. but had lost 1 more starter.  So they were down 2.   At about an hour before kick-off we learned they were going to be without 16-17 players and down to 21 dressed for the game against Linton.  All of us.. including the Miners, felt bad. Nobody wants to beat a team that isn't at it's full strength. We respect was TC has done this year, and wanted it to be mano a mano... best vs best.

When the warmups started I paid careful attention to who was out there for the Marksmen, and soon realized they would still have the bulk of their starters playing.  All of the backfield was present that I'd seen against Southridge and Princeton in the game films.  All Five of the starting senior line was the same.  What I saw missing were the double tight ends.  In their place were two freshmen, so I know there was a definite loss without seniior Tight Ends Kaiser and Naviaux.  It wasn't going to affect the passing game as one pass had been caught between the two starters.  Defensively is where they had more missing starters, and really it was the Defensive Backfield.  I don't think there was any of the 4 normal starters that I saw dressed.  Course, in very wet and very windy conditions, passing was not going to be a factor in this game.  Obviously Coach Webb and his staff had to make adjustments in positioning but again the 6'4 190 Kaiser at Safety was a big loss.  he was the Marksmen's leading tackler, so in run support he would be hard to replace.   But in saying this, Tell City still had some big players on the field in Mathena, Beckort, Miller, Strahly, Cooper, Rockwell, Lloyd and Braunecker.  I'm sure they'd of felt better not having a couple freshmen out there.. but I wll say that Buckendahl was in on a lot of tackles from LB. 

Please .. Don't misunderstand me... I do realize that the whole thing was a downer to the TC folks... they couldn't practice together, and it put a lot of pressure on them going into a game many thought would be a hard fought to the wire result.  But I guess what I want to say is that Linton played very well.  They really battled on the inside and held a normally overwhelming run offense to a mere 91 yards on 36 attempts.  Did it hurt to not have your starting blocking TE's out there?  I'm sure it did, because there was nothing doing on the outside either.  But I know it was also an outstanding defensive effort, and some coaching adjustments made this past week that really worked well.   Putting ILB Eslinger at NT, bringing in Breneman in at that ILB Smith was a great move.  I had Breneman was 12 tackles, Smith at 10 and Eslinger at 9.  Eslinger had 3.5 TFL in the process, and definitely caused disruption in plays in the mudpit. 

Offensively. Linton broke several outside runs that were key to this win. Linton rushed for 318 yards. I was tough sledding for the Miners as well in the mush, and the TC defense were a tough bunch... #56 Mathena had 11 stops from DE, #1 Rockwell had several "just miss" plays in the backfield had 9 tackles, #28 Beckort with 9, #30 Buckendahl (a freshman) with 7.  Beckort and Rockwell each had 3 TFL too.  The "Just Misses" were huge because a couple of those ended up being huge runs.  56 yards by Miner QB Gennickss on the 2nd drive led to a miner score.  Then a 56 yard jet sweep by Padgett put Linton at the Marksmen 21, and another score.
Passing played no part in the game for Linton.  Gennicks threw 4 times, hitting once on a mid level pass to Goodman that the senior broke some tackles to make a 19 yard play.  Padget would also bust a 30 yard run to set up another score in the 3rd quarter from the 12, and Gennicks went 48 yards on a keeper up the middle for another score. 

The Marksmen tried going do the air, but it wasn't their strong point, not to mention the weather, and Linton ended up with 2 picks.  The breaks went Linton's way for sure.  The squib kicks on kick-offs were a problem for TC, and the opening kick of the 2nd half ended up being a Linton recovery... and that was big for TC just being down 13-0 at the time,  then Linton punched it in again.  And I think by that point you could see and feel the spirit fade abit from the Marksmen.  I have a ton of respect for those kids who have gone through what they have these last couple weeks.  It'll be "What if" for them forever.  But I also think it was a great Linton game plan, and a great effort from that interior line in a what because a massive mudpit in the middle of the field.  Keep in mind too... Linton lost perhaps our best down lineman on defense, and a starting OT all season when Donovan DeBruhl was hurt late in the 1st quarter with a leg injury.   He ended up in an ambulance headed to Evansville...  I don't know his status, but I know he was upbeat and really didn't want to leave... he wanted to support his teammates. 

What I hope now is that we can keep this Covid issue under control in Linton.  Talking to the TC folks.. it just sorta hit.  Now....what hurt the Marksmen was that any player had it....but the contact quarantine from someone they had been in contact with put so many players out.  I don't think any of them actually have the Virus... so it's ashame that this cost many of the seniors a chance to play Friday. 
It can happen to Miner City just as quickly as it did to Tell City. But... I do feel Linton showed something in this game. I don't think it should be belittled by comments that this would have not been the outcome had TC had their full roster. That 318 rushing was against a talented group, and that 91 rushing yards TC had was with their all senior starting offensive Line in tact, and all their running weapons as well.

So I congratulate Tell City on a heck of a year, and I know there is disappointment in how it played out, but a true dogfight in the trenches. I heard nothing but positive comments from the press box folks, and several Tell City fans.. so this is necessarily directed at them in any way. They had great class that night, I saw several handshakes and pats on the back.. and I admit to feeling a bit of sadness as they brought each senior off after a play and the home crowd showed their appreciation.

Now we just hope and pray the Virus can stay away from Linton. Best wishes to the Tell City players, coaches and the town itself.  We were treated to great by the Tell City staff... really... in the press box it was total class.

Miner Pride
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

Seems to me that a lot of the talk I heard pre game with Linton was how the 2019 team wasn't expected to do much... that they thought 2020 was going to be better... but as I look as last year's MD lineup against us... I see the the QB Happe, and RB McGrew and Boring, not to mention Kassenbrock and Schnur, plus 3 O linemen graduated on o... and Folz at LB, 3 of 4 starting Dlinemen, and 3 of 4 DB's including Lannert graduated.   Certainly Alex Money and Nolan Knight are both back.... but yeah looks like they had a lot to replace...

29 minutes ago, tango said:

I would also add that MD has played a tougher schedule this season than last season.  2019's Indian Creek and Whiting were replaced with Jasper and Vincennes Lincoln.  I scout both those games last year, and Jasper was significantly better.  I would argue Vincennes Lincoln was also an upgrade (to a lesser degree than Jasper obviously).  But I agree, @Wildcat1992, the results show exactly what you said.  MD was young, with a young QB, and not surprisingly, took some lumps early on playing a front-loaded schedule with 4 of 5 games against the top SIAC schools.  As always, MD isn't going to quit competing and Coach Goebel gets the most out of his kids.  The Wildcat D has been very good all year.  Holding Central to 21 points in Wk. 1 and Castle to 6 in Wk. 2 sure got our attention for our Wk. 4 match-up.  Starting with the North game in Wk. 6, the Wildcat O has really come around.  I think MD playing a tougher regular season and having a schedule gives them a big advantage over their 2A Sectional opponents.         

Absolutely no question that competition level favors Mater Dei... really against any 2A school in the southern part of Indiana.  We (all the other small 2A's) try and get some games on our schedule to try and be better challenged... but even so... it will never match MD facing who they face.  Heck Whiting and Indian Creek are no slouches... but yeah Jasper is the real deal.. and Lincoln is a good team too... just facing a whole lot more talent in the SIAC than the BIG 8 on a week to week basis. 

I'd say North Knox is playing as well as they have all season.  BUt it will certainly take a mistake free game from the Warriors.  They'll need long sustaining drives that eat the clock, and not get behind the chains.  While the passing game has improved, MD faces some big time passing teams in the course of their season... heck, they face big time running teams as well.   I'll certainly be pulling for the Warriors in this game.... no offense to the WIldcats...  nothing but respect for what they face and do year in and out;  

2 hours ago, WWFan said:

This thread is a good read. Some fans bring out the best in others.

Hey!! good luck to those Senators!! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Absolutely no question that competition level favors Mater Dei... really against any 2A school in the southern part of Indiana.  We (all the other small 2A's) try and get some games on our schedule to try and be better challenged... but even so... it will never match MD facing who they face.  Heck Whiting and Indian Creek are no slouches... but yeah Jasper is the real deal.. and Lincoln is a good team too... just facing a whole lot more talent in the SIAC than the BIG 8 on a week to week basis. 

I've said this year and for the past several years that MD plays one of the tougher schedules in all of 2A.   It is mostly against 3, 4, and 5A schools   No matter what their record is, they are ALWAYS tournament ready.  You can't teach competition.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 6:29 PM, tango said:

Yep, it's tough when players are healthy but out due to contact tracing.  I haven't seen Tell City or Linton, but I wouldn't be as confident that Linton would beat Tell City at full strength.  They took Southridge to the wire and Southridge is likely one of the top 5-6 teams in SW Indiana and beat you guys by 4 scores.  

This is very true... but I would be very willing to state that I think Linton would be a vastly improved team both sides of the ball.  Course, I realize Southridge could be just as much improved.  Being the 1st game of the year for both teams you know you are gonna come out learning about your team and what areas need looked at.  Linton made a couple changes the following week and saw positive results immediately.  I have much respect for the Raiders.. love the program and what they are all about.  I we continue to have them on our schedule.  But I do think it would be a bit more of a game it we met this week..  I could be totally wrong too LOL!!  

On 10/23/2020 at 10:34 PM, tango said:

Good Lord...  

LOL..  too much information for you?!?!   Just print it and read it in the bathroom... or use it as TP is necessary LOL! ...   I can't apologize.. I just like to talk!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

LOL..  too much information for you?!?!   Just print it and read it in the bathroom... or use it as TP is necessary LOL! ...   I can't apologize.. I just like to talk!

No worries.  I enjoy the 2A threads too.  Good luck to the Miners this week!!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

This is very true... but I would be very willing to state that I think Linton would be a vastly improved team both sides of the ball.  Course, I realize Southridge could be just as much improved.  Being the 1st game of the year for both teams you know you are gonna come out learning about your team and what areas need looked at.  Linton made a couple changes the following week and saw positive results immediately.  I have much respect for the Raiders.. love the program and what they are all about.  I we continue to have them on our schedule.  But I do think it would be a bit more of a game it we met this week..  I could be totally wrong too LOL!!  

I would only add this.  The Miner team on the field Friday night would likely beat the first game Miner team handily.  Probably a lot of teams can say the same thing, though.  We had three three senior starters that didn't suit up for one reason or another including speedy outside threat, WB Kaulin Padgett.  Also the starting QB is now a WB.  Lot of other changes since that first game.  The Miners are better now as they should be at this time of the year.  A measure of good coaching.

Am I the only one that’s thrown out any predictions? Come on now, Miner_Pride has wrote a few novels already about LS but no guesses for this weekend. I like that this thread has picked up some, but where are the meat and potatoes? I haven’t seen this much talk on Tell City since my dad proclaimed Tell City pretzels were the best thing since Thunder on the Ohio and Miss Budweiser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

I meant...we saw the way they ran a few plays differently and how much more smoothly it flowed through them...we took some advice from their coaches and by watching film...it has helped us.  Just saying...all opinion here.  It as nothing to do with what Mater Dei is and runs...

• Like 2