Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2 A Sectional 40

10 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

Am I the only one that’s thrown out any predictions? Come on now, Miner_Pride has wrote a few novels already about LS but no guesses for this weekend. I like that this thread has picked up some, but where are the meat and potatoes? I haven’t seen this much talk on Tell City since my dad proclaimed Tell City pretzels were the best thing since Thunder on the Ohio and Miss Budweiser.

Ask and you shall receive:

NP vs MD in the Championship.
MD will win yet again.

Not much competition in this sectional for them until Southridge returns. I would love for one of the other teams to prove me wrong, but from what I see, "It is what it is"

Should be a couple of good games this week.   Does anyone know if the Mater Dei game is live streamed or will it be on the radio?  I know the Linton game is on WQTY (93.3)  Miner Pride always does a great job with the broadast along with Darren Clayton.  Great team in the booth for every Miner game.  Looking forward to the second round of this tournament.

11 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

Am I the only one that’s thrown out any predictions? Come on now, Miner_Pride has wrote a few novels already about LS but no guesses for this weekend. I like that this thread has picked up some, but where are the meat and potatoes? I haven’t seen this much talk on Tell City since my dad proclaimed Tell City pretzels were the best thing since Thunder on the Ohio and Miss Budweiser.

To be honest... I don't think I've ever predicted a score of any game.  I think it's a given that Linton and Mater Dei are going to be favorites in both games.  I think it helps Linton to be playing at home, and certainly helps North Knox playing at home too.  Mater Dei is the perennial favorite in Sect 40.  The Warriors are playing their best football of the year right now, but MD has faced opponents week in and out...and more pointedly beaten or been in games with then all.  If NK can get that ground game to work and grind it out, I give them a shot... but if MD gets up a couple scores and NK has to play catch-up I think it will be the Wildcats.  For Linton, they also are playing very well.  North Posey is too... but the competition in these last couple weeks is vastly different.  Linton can't afford to slack or look ahead... that would be my biggest fear this week. I don't think Mater Dei should look ahead either. 

• Like 1

Can't help but think about all the fun this sectional would be if the Raiders were playing in good ol 40! Who'd of thunk the Raiders would be success-factored up before all powerful MD huh?? 

Anyway- I completely wiffed on the TC-Linton game, so obviously Linton has all wheels churning. Again, from having played both NP and Linton, I'd say Linton has a big advantage. 

Good luck to all teams. 

I sort of like the underdog view on the Miners.  After North Knox, I think it hit the coaches and players like a ton of bricks.  To their credit, they are using it as fuel... Discounting their win at Tell City... just feeds that.  I remember how the North Vermillion loss in 2014 seemed to motivate the 2015 and 2016 post season runs. 

As for Tell City... Here are my takeaways.  Practice and preparation matters... TC is well coached and had that compromised with their circumstances.  Depth was another issue.  I felt like the Miners had better depth prior to the Covid issues.  Those at the game could see TC wearing down as the game progressed.   As for who played and who didn't... It is sort of funny to see football fans argue this.  Lots of great teams have their seasons cut short due to injuries... granted Covid is a different beast... then again it is the same.  You play with who you have.  Those stud TC kids battled. It is shame to see a good team go home early, but that is the nature of this time of year.

As for thoughts on the Miners and Tell City from earlier in the year vs. Southridge.  The Miners have at least 4 different starters on offense, which is where the Miners struggled the most against SR.  3 turnovers and an inability to block about anything SR was doing up front defensively killed the Miners.  I think the turnovers led to 14 SR points.  The line has added new faces and switched some guys around... they have been steadily improving.  We also added two big offensive threats since week 1.   I watched the SR/TC film repeatedly.  Let's be honest... TC played a great game... SR did not play that well at times.  Most of the 1st quarter the Raiders looked a little shocked at how good TC was.  TC capitalized early with their first score.  After that, the Raiders buckled down and played their typical great defense.  Offensively, The Raiders should have scored at least one more TD.  Watching without keeping track of the score... felt like a 21-7 or 28-7 game.  I guess what I'm getting at is I felt like both teams should have lost to SR by 2 touchdowns when they played.   The bigger question would have been how much those teams have improved since facing the Raiders. 

21 minutes ago, Greene County Coach said:

I sort of like the underdog view on the Miners.  After North Knox, I think it hit the coaches and players like a ton of bricks.  To their credit, they are using it as fuel... Discounting their win at Tell City... just feeds that.  I remember how the North Vermillion loss in 2014 seemed to motivate the 2015 and 2016 post season runs. 

As for Tell City... Here are my takeaways.  Practice and preparation matters... TC is well coached and had that compromised with their circumstances.  Depth was another issue.  I felt like the Miners had better depth prior to the Covid issues.  Those at the game could see TC wearing down as the game progressed.   As for who played and who didn't... It is sort of funny to see football fans argue this.  Lots of great teams have their seasons cut short due to injuries... granted Covid is a different beast... then again it is the same.  You play with who you have.  Those stud TC kids battled. It is shame to see a good team go home early, but that is the nature of this time of year.

As for thoughts on the Miners and Tell City from earlier in the year vs. Southridge.  The Miners have at least 4 different starters on offense, which is where the Miners struggled the most against SR.  3 turnovers and an inability to block about anything SR was doing up front defensively killed the Miners.  I think the turnovers led to 14 SR points.  The line has added new faces and switched some guys around... they have been steadily improving.  We also added two big offensive threats since week 1.   I watched the SR/TC film repeatedly.  Let's be honest... TC played a great game... SR did not play that well at times.  Most of the 1st quarter the Raiders looked a little shocked at how good TC was.  TC capitalized early with their first score.  After that, the Raiders buckled down and played their typical great defense.  Offensively, The Raiders should have scored at least one more TD.  Watching without keeping track of the score... felt like a 21-7 or 28-7 game.  I guess what I'm getting at is I felt like both teams should have lost to SR by 2 touchdowns when they played.   The bigger question would have been how much those teams have improved since facing the Raiders. 

I don't think anyone is taking the Miners for granted...I know North Knox wont if we play you guys again.  I think it would be a bad thing to do that.  You guys always play well in the tournament.  Good luck this week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jets said:

Can't help but think about all the fun this sectional would be if the Raiders were playing in good ol 40! Who'd of thunk the Raiders would be success-factored up before all powerful MD huh?? 

Anyway- I completely wiffed on the TC-Linton game, so obviously Linton has all wheels churning. Again, from having played both NP and Linton, I'd say Linton has a big advantage. 

Good luck to all teams. 

I know we Miner folk are pulling for the Raiders each week!  At least I am.  No disrespect meant for the Titans...... I just like Southridge's program and people!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I know we Miner folk are pulling for the Raiders each week!  At least I am.  No disrespect meant for the Titans...... I just like Southridge's program and people!

Same here Miner Pride.  I've always liked the Southridge program and their fans.  Good group of peeps!  The team always plays a top notch game and always plays hard during their games.  At least the ones I've seen.  Mucho respect for Southridge.   Linton hasn't won yet against Southridge, but it gets them better prepared for the season and later in the tournament.  You can't coach and you can't teach competition.  That is experienced week after  week during the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

I don't think anyone is taking the Miners for granted...I know North Knox wont if we play you guys again.  I think it would be a bad thing to do that.  You guys always play well in the tournament.  Good luck this week.

Despite all the Love we have for each other year round (LOL!!)  I always pull for the local teams... and those on our schedule to do well in the tourney.  Hard to say that I wish well to the Arrows... but in truth, I do.  But I live in Vincennes too.. so, the Alices prolly get my support this week.  As for NK.. yeah I'd love to see them represent and love to see them get the Win... and of course love to see the Miners and Warriors duke it out again.  It'll be a tall order, but they play the games for a reason.  Last year I thought NK played MD pretty good early on... but hard to keep MD down, they are very disciplined and very well coached.  they CAN'T have the start we (Linton) had down at the Reitz Bowl!!!  

2 hours ago, Cappy said:

I believe they are a heavy favorite this week, and just hope the Vikings can keep it from being a running clock.

I always look forward to the crazy formations NP brings.... do they still do that???

• Like 1

13 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Harrell has Mater Dei favored over North Knox 28 - 24 and Linton is favored over North Posey by 35 - 24.   We'll see.

NOrth Posey is much more pass orientated that anyone Linton has faced in several weeks.  Harold Bender has passed for 1,372 yards and 17 TDs.  THe Vikings will have height with a couple 6'2" receivers.  Looks like they spread the field.  After Linton's recent performances on defense against the run, I don't think 24 points will happen unless we have some breakdowns in the secondary giving NP some big plays.  

8 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

NOrth Posey is much more pass orientated that anyone Linton has faced in several weeks.  Harold Bender has passed for 1,372 yards and 17 TDs.  THe Vikings will have height with a couple 6'2" receivers.  Looks like they spread the field.  After Linton's recent performances on defense against the run, I don't think 24 points will happen unless we have some breakdowns in the secondary giving NP some big plays.  

Good.  More opportunities for INT's.  LOL

On 10/27/2020 at 9:52 AM, jets said:

Good luck to all teams. 

It may be a while before SR comes back to 2A.  I believe if they win the Regional they stay up for the next classification.  Am I not correct about that?

50 minutes ago, kingtut said:

It may be a while before SR comes back to 2A.  I believe if they win the Regional they stay up for the next classification.  Am I not correct about that?

Yes, which means a GS win this week has a huge impact on the next 2 years too.  SR would fall back into 2A for the next cycle.  Ev. Memorial will be in 4A for another 2 years.  Chatard will be moving up from 3A to 4A with a Regional title.  The path for GS would seemingly be pretty smooth the next 2 years.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tango said:

Yes, which means a GS win this week has a huge impact on the next 2 years too.  SR would fall back into 2A for the next cycle.  Ev. Memorial will be in 4A for another 2 years.  Chatard will be moving up from 3A to 4A with a Regional title.  The path for GS would seemingly be pretty smooth the next 2 years.   

Never considered that but you are spot on.  The game takes on a whole new dimension and level of importance.  

GS has the opportunity to position itself nicely not just this year but for the next 2 if everything else falls into place.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kingtut said:

No fans permitted at the Linton / North Posey game Friday night.  Families and coaches only.  Greene County has come up with an orange color code designation this week.  Not good.

we had the same thing happened up our way in Jasper County as well,  Every Wednesday they update the county color code.... 

It was very odd last week...   so quiet ....

Gotta stay away from the dreaded RED 

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

No fans permitted at the Linton / North Posey game Friday night.  Families and coaches only.  Greene County has come up with an orange color code designation this week.  Not good.

Oh Dang....  I wonder how this affects our radio broadcast... or any other broadcast.  I might go crazy not being at the game !   Holy Hell....