Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Doyel: Colts replaced Brissett with Rivers so losses like this to Browns wouldn't happen

Muda69

(Note: link is behind a paywall): https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2020/10/11/colts-vs-browns-colts-replaced-jacoby-brissett-philip-rivers-so-would-stop/5912379002/

This shouldn’t be happening. It can’t be happening. Philip Rivers was brought here for that very reason, so this wouldn’t keep happening.

Alas, it’s happening again – dare I say, worse than ever – as poor quarterback play cost the Indianapolis Colts for the second time this season, this time in an avoidable 32-23 loss to the Cleveland Browns.

As much as we like Rivers the man, it’s time to examine Rivers the quarterback. He threw one pick-6, avoided throwing another pick-6 only because the defender dropped it, threw another abysmal interception in the fourth quarter, and put a cherry on top of this Sunday sundae by being called for intentional grounding in the end zone.

Which gives the other team two points. A safety, you call that for the Browns.

A quarterback problem, you call this for the Colts.

What would you call it? The Colts have a backup quarterback, Jacoby Brissett, who played better last season than Rivers has played this season. And the Colts were so unsatisfied with Brissett’s 2019, they acquired Rivers in free agency. They acquired him so he wouldn’t do this, so he wouldn’t be the reason the Colts lose games.

A year ago, Brissett was often that reason. Not always. Nobody’s saying that now, and nobody said it in real time last season. A year ago the Colts were a 7-9 team that could have won 11 or 12 games with better play, simply competent play, from their kicker and quarterback. Colts general manager Chris Ballard and coach Frank Reich knew it, and replaced Brissett with Rivers at quarterback, and Adam Vinatieri with Rodrigo Blankenship at kicker.

And it made sense, didn’t it? Yes, Rivers was coming off one of the worst seasons of his career – 66% completion rate, 23 touchdowns, 20 interceptions, 88.5 passer rating – and he was 38 years old. But he’d played a few seasons for Reich and offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni in San Diego, and anyway, he hadn’t exactly fallen off a cliff in 2019. He’d just played a few notches below his Hall of Fame standards.

He played in 2019, honestly, like Brissett had, because Brissett’s statistics were similar: 60.9% completion rate, 18 TD’s, 6 INT’s, 88.0 passer rating. But Rivers was a veteran, and he was brought here to be that, a game-managing quarterback gifted with a winning running game, offensive line, defense and special teams.

He wasn’t brought here for this.

Sorry to keep quoting myself from a story I wrote last month, but this feels like Groundhog Day. The Colts have winning talent all over the field – enough to be in position to beat the 3-1 Browns – despite the absence of Pro Bowl linebacker Darius Leonard and left tackle Anthony Castonzo.

The Colts received interceptions from two ailing linebackers, Anthony Walker (ankle) and Bobby Okereke (thumb). They received perfection from their kicker, Blankenship. They even received a 101-yard kickoff return from rookie Isaiah Rodgers.

But they couldn’t run, again – 18 carries, 68 yards, 3.8 average – in part because the Browns weren’t scared of Rivers. Nobody is. Even in the three games the Colts won this season, Rivers averaged 207 yards and one TD in those contests (or less than Mayfield produced in the first half Sunday). On this day, Rivers was 21-for-33 for 243 yards, no TD’s, 2 INT’s and a 60.5 passer rating. That’s what happened Sunday.

What happens Monday?

After replacing Brissett with Rivers, do the Colts consider replacing Rivers with Brissett? They don’t have to make that change, no. But they have to at least give it some thought.

Or not. Afterward, Reich said this:

"Philip is playing really good football. That's the least of my worries.”

Makes you wonder what’s keeping the Colts’ coach up at night. Because if quarterback play is the least of his worries …

Yep, I agree with Mr. Doyel.  The acquisition of Mr. Rivers is starting to look like at the most a real bust and at the least a sold "meh".

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

(Note: link is behind a paywall): https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2020/10/11/colts-vs-browns-colts-replaced-jacoby-brissett-philip-rivers-so-would-stop/5912379002/

Yep, I agree with Mr. Doyel.  The acquisition of Mr. Rivers is starting to look like at the most a real bust and at the least a sold "meh".

I caught a bit of the Colts - Browns game yesterday and it felt very old school seeing those two teams in their original unis playing on a Sunday afternoon.

Quite cool actually.  I thought of Johnny Unitas and Mike Curtis and the big TE John Mackey.

I dont recall seeing Jim Brown play in the NFL, but players like Sipe, Newsome, Kosar and Phipps came to mind.  

For me, the Colts are still Baltimore more than Indy.  Cleveland Browns

Edited by DT

Did people really expect Rivers to change how he plays QB? He is what he is. He's a gunslinger. He's gonna throw interceptions. He's done it his whole career. That's also what happens when you ask him to throw 30+ times. That wasn't supposed to happen this year. Colts were supposed to rely on the running game an o-line and run the ball down their throats. Maybe have Rivers throw it 15-20 times. Rivers was supposed to be a game manager and not turn it over. That goes out the window when Mack goes down. Castonzo was hurt yesterday. He's lost Campbell and Pittman. He's got TY who appears to be washed. Doyle has never really been good. Alie-Cox has lost targets and playing time since Burton is finally healthy. I don't agree with it. Alie-Cox is their best tight end. Rivers was a big issue yesterday, no denying that. But that's what you get from him. He's not gonna change. Colts knew what they were getting when they signed him. They'll live with it if he continues to manage the game like he did against Chicago and Minnesota. 

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't so much about Rivers and him playing bad . It's mostly about Reich and his vanilla play calling.  Rivers gets put in some bad situations by his coach.  This past week Reich was forced to play hurry up when the Colts fell behind 21 - 0.   Part of that was on Eberflus and how he NEVER has this defense ready to start a game.   Unless you weren't paying attention, the hurry up is how Rivers plays at his best.   If fans want to see more 300+ yard passing games and 3 TD passes per game from Rivers, and 30+ points from this offense, Reich needs to run the hurry up.  Not to mention he mixed in some intermediate to deep throws as well.  All this dinking and dunking and "run the damn ball" is NOT who this offense is.  Everyone wants to point to a loss of weapons as to part of Rivers problems.  Hardly.   He has Johnson, Pascal, Burton, Hines, Cox, Doyle, Taylor, and now after the Bengals game he has a nice surprise in Harris (3 catches for 29 yards).  Rivers has the weapons.  Rivers can still chuck it.  Reich says he knows him so well?  Then why has he been calling most game plans like some old grandma?  Give your boy a chance every week!  They need to start every game and pretend like they are down 21 - 0.  Until Reich stops with the vanilla BS, and gets on the hurry up page, this team will be up and down and everyone will blame Rivers and his "bad play".  

• Like 1