Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA return to play amendment

The return to play rule requires 4 or 6 practices to be completed prior to return to play depending if U missed > than 5 or 10 straight practices.  The purpose is to protect players who have been INJURED or are SICK from returning too quickly.  Quarantine is neither.  All the IHSAA had to do was to allow virtual practices to count.  A player under 14 day Quarantine could attend 2 virtual practices with a coach or trainer while under quarantine and save games for players across the state.  Easy, sensible approach to our new environment.  Superintendents have reached out to IHSAA for leniency / virtual practices and we’re shot down. IHSAA got 90% of this season right... wish they would’ve hit a home run and addressed this gap by amending the rtp rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it is truly to protect the player from returning too early, why can't the IHSAA give Athletic Directors waivers for guardians to sign off on any liability?  There is nothing fair about a kid having to sit out 14 days because his sister had Covid, then add on another 6 days before he can compete when he has been heathy the whole time.    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bittergymteacher said:

If it is truly to protect the player from returning too early, why can't the IHSAA give Athletic Directors waivers for guardians to sign off on any liability?  There is nothing fair about a kid having to sit out 14 days because his sister had Covid, then add on another 6 days before he can compete when he has been heathy the whole time.    

Exactly... or not even his sibling.  Just sat 5ft from the wrong person in study hall.

• Like 1

I think it's absolutely ridiculous. We have had some players have this issue this year. They are already being punished by having to isolate for up to 2 weeks for something that is completely out of their control. I always thought the practice thing was so that kids coming back from injuries were eased back in so they aren't reinjured. The players I know who have had this issue were doing workouts on their own time at their own home while isolating, never were sick and then find out they still have 4 more days before they can play. RIDICULOUS! I personally know my child is in such top physical shape and they would be doing things on their own at home the additional time would be completely unneeded if truly just for their "safety." Instead they are treating this as almost punitive.

5 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Exactly... or not even his sibling.  Just sat 5ft from the wrong person in study hall.

BINGO.  Our school did a horrible job and we had over 35% of our students out due to contact tracing until we had to go virtual for 9/21 for a week or so.  During that time, they magically figured out ways to properly distance class rooms and expanded lunch into aux gym.  Not sure what we were doing all summer, but it sure as heck wasn't putting a realistic and reasonable plan in place.  

Edited by tango

This issue happened at our school, but here's how the rule is enforced inequitably (is that the right word)?  So kids get caught in contact tracing are sent home for 14 days.  Our school said if you get sent home at 10 o'clock on Friday, then you come back at 10 o'clock on Friday in 2 weeks.  Ok, no problem.  But here's where this rule fails miserably if it's for athlete protection.  Quarantine started Friday at 10 am, so quarantined football players are out that night's game, next week's and the next week's before they can get enough practices in to play.  However, the tennis team has 6 matches over the same period:  County tournament that Friday afternoon, following Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and following Tuesday and Friday.  Football would miss 8 practices and 3 competitions, so they have to go to 4 practices before they can compete.  Tennis has more meets scheduled and fewer practices (5 and they cancelled one...see where this going), so tennis player actually get's the benefit of missing fewer actual practices and tennis coach knows the rules so that by cancelling 1 practice, he keeps the number of practices missed by that player to 4 so he is immediately eligible to play on the Friday afternoon he returns, while a football player that missed the exact same number of quarantined days is not eligible for another week because his team had 8 practices and he needs 4 to become "eligible".  In no way am I faulting the tennis coach, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by gopher2