Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Contenders...Any Darkhorses?

6A: With only 32 teams, and an overwhelming favorite in CG, it's hard to find a dark-horse contender out of the South part of the bracket. Carmel & LN are the only two teams that come to mind to challenge CG in the South.

In the North, it's going to be fascinating to see what shakes out...Can Homestead come out of a brutal sectional and then beat Westfield in Regionals? Can Laf Jeff, with an awful schedule, pull a shocker against a loaded Merrillville squad and then defeat presumably Elkhart in Regionals? Loads of intrigue in 6A North for the first time in a while!

5A: Again, with only 32 teams, and overwhelming favorite in Cathedral, not much to say out of 5A South. 

In 5a North, Dwenger seems to be the favorite out of the North, but having to play North and Northrop for the second time may present some problems (hard to beat teams twice!) But does Valpo (only played 5 games) have a very fresh roster ready to do some damage? Zionsville plays a gauntlet of a schedule and has elite playmakers on the offensive side of the ball...They won a 6A sectional and battled with BD in Regionals last year. 

4A: 4A South will be a doozy this year, with Mt. Vernon, Roncalli, Mooresville, East Central, and Evansville Central looking to represent the South at LOS. However, there's a few teams that could make a surprise run in Jasper, Evansville Memorial, and Silver Creek. I'm not familiar with Silver Creek, could they beat East Central in the first round? 

4A North has favorites in Hobart and Lowell (same sectional), Leo, Northridge, and East Noble (same sectional), and Delta. Other those aforementioned teams, who can make a run to LOS out of the North? 

3A: 3A North has the presumed favorite in Chatard, drawing a rematch with a successful Marian program in semi-state (undefeated and beat Penn). Can West Laf or Brebeuf stun Chatard in sectionals? 

3A South looks to be just as competitive as 4A South this year....Sectional 29 has 6/8 teams with winning records with an undefeated Danville team as the favorite to come out of the sectional. Does Tri-West, Indian Creek, or Ritter play spoiler? Vincennes Lincoln is as battle-tested as any 3A school, playing in the SIAC. Lawrenceburg is sitting dangerous at 7-1 while Sectional 32 is absolutely stacked (6/8 w/a winning record and Heritage Hills who's been undermanned throughout the year). 

1A and 2A: Not very familiar with these two classes at all..

Predictions: 

6A: CG vs Westfield

5A: Cathedral vs Dwenger

4A: Roncalli vs Lowell

3A: Chatard vs Southridge

2A: Andrean vs Heritage Christian

1A: South Adams vs Covenant Christian

My Darkhorses: 

6A: Homestead, BD, and Laf. Jeff

5A: Zionsville and Whiteland

4A: Jasper and Northridge

3A: Ft. Wayne Concordia, Norwell, and Tri-West

2A: Ren. Central, Centerville, Tell City, and Fairfield. 

1A: South Putnam and Southwood

What do y'all think? 

• Like 5

Love some of the darkhorses.

Homestead will most likely have to beat Carroll again (Snider will not be an easy first game, they have improved a lot since the beginning of the season.) This Homestead team would have been even more exciting to watch if Goode would have decided to return to the football field this year.

Norwell has been impressive all year. One loss to a very good Leo team has me thinking they have a shot at making a run.

Concordia when healthy has one of the most impressive defenses I've seen this year. They were able to slow down an explosive Carroll offense. They could present some problems to teams in sectional 27.

6A spoiler:

North:  Warsaw.  As the weather gets colder, they get stronger.

5A Spoiler:

North: Ft. Wayne North - One of the best QBs in the state and with a couple big breaks, they can beat Dwenger.

South: Whiteland & Floyd Central - Whiteland is quietly 7-1 and Floyd Central has a couple of D1 kids if I'm not mistaken.  I think we learn a lot about the Indianapolis Traveling Catholic All-Stars tomorrow night and if anyone can beat them in 5A

4A Spoiler:

North: Hobart - Their 5-2 record is misleading.  This is a good football team

South: Boonville - really just a gut feeling

Silver Creek - Always seems like they have a good record but can they make some noise this year?

3A Spoiler:

North: North Montgomery - They could easily make it to the sectional championship and then have a shot at West Laf or Chatard

South: Gibson Southern - not as hype around them this year so the expectations are not through the roof. 

Indian Creek - the Center Grove transfer running back they have is very, very good

I have nothing for 1A or 2A

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

6A spoiler:

North:  Warsaw.  As the weather gets colder, they get stronger.

5A Spoiler:

North: Ft. Wayne North - One of the best QBs in the state and with a couple big breaks, they can beat Dwenger.

South: Whiteland & Floyd Central - Whiteland is quietly 7-1 and Floyd Central has a couple of D1 kids if I'm not mistaken.  I think we learn a lot about the Indianapolis Traveling Catholic All-Stars tomorrow night and if anyone can beat them in 5A

4A Spoiler:

North: Hobart - Their 5-2 record is misleading.  This is a good football team

South: Boonville - really just a gut feeling

Silver Creek - Always seems like they have a good record but can they make some noise this year?

3A Spoiler:

North: North Montgomery - They could easily make it to the sectional championship and then have a shot at West Laf or Chatard

South: Gibson Southern - not as hype around them this year so the expectations are not through the roof. 

Indian Creek - the Center Grove transfer running back they have is very, very good

I have nothing for 1A or 2A

I dunno, I think Brebeuf is quite good. I think Brebeuf will give Bishop Chatard or WL all they can handle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigfish said:

I dunno, I think Brebeuf is quite good. I think Brebeuf will give Bishop Chatard or WL all they can handle

Brebeuf (and North Mont) do not have one impressive win this season.  I haven't seen a game from Brebeuf, but judging based on wins I don't think they challenge Chatard or WL. I think the winner of Chatard/WL rolls to regionals where Norwell or Concordia await

10 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Predictions: 

6A: CG vs Homestead

5A: Cathedral vs Valpo

4A: Mt. Vernon vs Hobart

3A: Chatard vs Daville

2A: Eastside vs Triton Central

1A: South Adams vs Park Heritage

The Woofs won’t get past South Putnams in their sectional. I see Lutherans out of the South. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

The Woofs won’t get past South Putnams in their sectional. I see Lutherans out of the South. 

We'll learn a lot about South Put and if they're legit this week as they face Heritage Christian.  And I really hope you're wrong because I don't want to watch a P/P "1A" school in the state championship.  I would much rather watch a small town team play like South Put, South Adams, Parke Heritage, Southwood, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

2a

Andrean vs Heritage Christian

Dark Horses

Pioneer and Eastbrook in North

Triton Central and South Vermilion

1a

Lcc Vs Lutheran

Dark Horse

South Adams in North

West Washington in South

South Vermillions barely got by Seegers the first time and I don’t see either getting by WeBos. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Regardless how Brebeuf played the balance of the season, I thought they outplayed Chatard the first half of the season opener.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

2a

Andrean vs Heritage Christian

Dark Horses

Pioneer and Eastbrook in North

Triton Central and South Vermilion

1a

Lcc Vs Lutheran

Dark Horse

South Adams in North

West Washington in South

How is South Adams a dark horse in the north? They’re number one, and LCC has been having Covid issues all year. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

How is South Adams a dark horse in the north? They’re number one, and LCC has been having Covid issues all year. 

It should be reversed. LCC could be the dark horse but they’re a huge unknown and only beat Benton Centrals 28-14. SA is definitely the North favorite. I swear to God they are 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Knightmare said:

We'll learn a lot about South Put and if they're legit this week as they face Heritage Christian.  And I really hope you're wrong because I don't want to watch a P/P "1A" school in the state championship.  I would much rather watch a small town team play like South Put, South Adams, Parke Heritage, Southwood, etc.

Last year's P/P 1A game was a nail-biter with a 2-point conversion to win the game in the last minute or so.  Pretty good entertainment.

Edited by foxbat
  • Like 2

Sadly, Memorial will most likely not go to state this year. Since this our down year. But will have the possibility for another run very soon, due to a lot of people returning and losing only 3 starting seniors. You never know with Coach Hurley and his tigers in the post season. 

My Predictions: 

6A. CG VS Westfield or Carmel 

5A: Cathedral VS Valpo 

4A: Hobart VS Mount Vernon or Mooresville or Roncalli 

3A: Chatard VS Danville or Southridge? 

2A: Andrean or Eastbrook VS Heritage Christian 

1A: LCC VS Lutheran rematch 

42 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Sadly, Memorial will most likely not go to state this year. Since this our down year. But will have the possibility for another run very soon, due to a lot of people returning and losing only 3 starting seniors. You never know with Coach Hurley and his tigers in the post season. 

My Predictions: 

Carmel can't meet CG in 6A title game. They would meet in south region semi state. They moved them this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thor77 said:

Because LCC is LCC and besides Lutheran, a full LCC squad wouldn't have a problem with any 1a team. 

Plenty of dark horses:  Lafayette Jeff, Jasper, and Eastbrook just to name a few.  It’s great we have teams like this among others threatening the blue bloods.  Just another thing that makes football a great game and the blind draw (yeah, I said it) a thing of beauty.

Predictions 

6A- CG vs Westfield

5A- Cathedral vs Valpo

4A- Mt. Vernon vs Hobert

3A- Chatard vs Southridge

2A- Andrean vs Triton Central

1A- I have no idea. Doesn't mean I won't watch. 

Dark horses 

6A- Jeff and Elkhart (If they actually participate)

5A- Zionsville and Castle

4A- Jasper, Evansville Central and Mooresville

3A- Tri-West, Brebeuf and Vincennes Lincoln

2A- Tell City and Eastern 

13 hours ago, foxbat said:

Last year's P/P 1A game was a nail-biter with a 2-point conversion to win the game in the last minute or so.  Pretty good entertainment.

I see what you're saying but watching LCC win another title was about as exciting as watching paint dry.  I've seen it before and I'll see it again. 

15 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

My Predictions: 

GS is at least a dark horse in 3A south.

• Like 1

Just now, TigerFan20 said:

Yes, can't forget about the Titans right now. Heard Brady throw for around 410 yards last night in an whooping against Boonville. 

Mockabee "only" 200 yards which is the bigger deal.  If we get some stops against HH and SR...the offense should provide enough points to win.