Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Contenders...Any Darkhorses?

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Mockabee "only" 200 yards which is the bigger deal.  If we get some stops against HH and SR...the offense should provide enough points to win.

I'm looking forward to an Southridge vs GS matchup. And only 200 yards last night? Wow, be get for the GS defense who also had an hell of an night

24 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Mockabee "only" 200 yards which is the bigger deal.  If we get some stops against HH and SR...the offense should provide enough points to win.

HH is nothing more than a speed bump for GS this year.  Round 2 at Southridge will be a great rematch game.      

3 hours ago, jets said:

I was wondering to myself how a team with a Power 5 D1 commit QB can be a “darkhorse” 🤔🤔

Its really really simple...when the #4 team in  the state is in your sectional.  

5 hours ago, Patriot 74 said:

Speed bump?????  That's good to know.  

He said it not me! 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, Knightmare said:

We'll learn a lot about South Put and if they're legit this week as they face Heritage Christian.  And I really hope you're wrong because I don't want to watch a P/P "1A" school in the state championship.  I would much rather watch a small town team play like South Put, South Adams, Parke Heritage, Southwood, etc.

Looks like South Putnams answered some questions. I swear to God they did

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

No dark horses in 6A, 5A and 3A. Those titles are already wrapped up and just waiting for Chatard, Cathedral and Center Grove to show up to collect them. 

Only dark horse I can think of in 5A is Valpo. I don’t think anyone knows how good they are based on 5 game sample size.

I have one darkhorse and it is for all 6 classes:  Covid 19.   How much of an impact will this have on the tournament?  We know there have been games and seasons cancelled because of it.  And it WILL affect ALL of the classes.  Week to week you just never know where it will show up.  So in this weird year, I am calling Covid, the darkhorse.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1
  • Kill me now 1

13 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I have one darkhorse and it is for all 6 classes:  Covid 19.   How much of an impact will this have on the tournament?  We know there have been games and seasons cancelled because of it.  And it WILL affect ALL of the classes.  Week to week you just never know where it will show up.  So in this weird year, I am calling Covid, the darkhorse.

Congratulations.... u were able to turn a really good post / discussion into more meaningless covid ramblings.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jcat69 said:

Evansville Central is a very dark horse. Undefeated in a closed conference, no way to compare them to rest of state,how good are they?

You don’t steamroll the SIAC as a 4A team then come out of it as a “Darkhorse”.  

Closed conference or not, the outright winner of the SIAC (particularly if they are 4A or smaller) has to be looked upon as one of the favorites coming out of the South....and the South, by most all evidence, will produce the State Champion this year.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:43 AM, MICFan34 said:

6A: With only 32 teams, and an overwhelming favorite in CG, it's hard to find a dark-horse contender out of the South part of the bracket. Carmel & LN are the only two teams that come to mind to challenge CG in the South.

In the North, it's going to be fascinating to see what shakes out...Can Homestead come out of a brutal sectional and then beat Westfield in Regionals? Can Laf Jeff, with an awful schedule, pull a shocker against a loaded Merrillville squad and then defeat presumably Elkhart in Regionals? Loads of intrigue in 6A North for the first time in a while!

5A: Again, with only 32 teams, and overwhelming favorite in Cathedral, not much to say out of 5A South. 

In 5a North, Dwenger seems to be the favorite out of the North, but having to play North and Northrop for the second time may present some problems (hard to beat teams twice!) But does Valpo (only played 5 games) have a very fresh roster ready to do some damage? Zionsville plays a gauntlet of a schedule and has elite playmakers on the offensive side of the ball...They won a 6A sectional and battled with BD in Regionals last year. 

4A: 4A South will be a doozy this year, with Mt. Vernon, Roncalli, Mooresville, East Central, and Evansville Central looking to represent the South at LOS. However, there's a few teams that could make a surprise run in Jasper, Evansville Memorial, and Silver Creek. I'm not familiar with Silver Creek, could they beat East Central in the first round? 

4A North has favorites in Hobart and Lowell (same sectional), Leo, Northridge, and East Noble (same sectional), and Delta. Other those aforementioned teams, who can make a run to LOS out of the North? 

3A: 3A North has the presumed favorite in Chatard, drawing a rematch with a successful Marian program in semi-state (undefeated and beat Penn). Can West Laf or Brebeuf stun Chatard in sectionals? 

3A South looks to be just as competitive as 4A South this year....Sectional 29 has 6/8 teams with winning records with an undefeated Danville team as the favorite to come out of the sectional. Does Tri-West, Indian Creek, or Ritter play spoiler? Vincennes Lincoln is as battle-tested as any 3A school, playing in the SIAC. Lawrenceburg is sitting dangerous at 7-1 while Sectional 32 is absolutely stacked (6/8 w/a winning record and Heritage Hills who's been undermanned throughout the year). 

1A and 2A: Not very familiar with these two classes at all..

Predictions: 

6A: CG vs Westfield

5A: Cathedral vs Dwenger

4A: Roncalli vs Lowell

3A: Chatard vs Southridge

2A: Andrean vs Heritage Christian

1A: South Adams vs Covenant Christian

My Darkhorses: 

6A: Homestead, BD, and Laf. Jeff

5A: Zionsville and Whiteland

4A: Jasper and Northridge

3A: Ft. Wayne Concordia, Norwell, and Tri-West

2A: Ren. Central, Centerville, Tell City, and Fairfield. 

1A: South Putnam and Southwood

What do y'all think? 

If all of your predictions come true, it would be all 5 lower classes having a P/P in the finals. I don't think that has happened in some time, especially after the success factor was brought in.

1 hour ago, jcat69 said:

Maybe with a little hard work, a little luck, and the good Lord willing, we can keep it close and pull it out at the end.

What will attendance be like this Friday?  Is 50% capacity still allowed?

Most years, the regular season produces 2-3 'big games' with large crowds and teams can adjust to the atmosphere by playoff time.  I don't think Central has played in front of more than 750 fans this year.  I wonder if the home field crowd will factor into the game?  It might ramp up the emotional level or it might have no impact at all.

Just something I have been wondering since I saw the sectional draw.     

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

What will attendance be like this Friday?  Is 50% capacity still allowed?

Most years, the regular season produces 2-3 'big games' with large crowds and teams can adjust to the atmosphere by playoff time.  I don't think Central has played in front of more than 750 fans this year.  I wonder if the home field crowd will factor into the game?  It might ramp up the emotional level or it might have no impact at all.

Just something I have been wondering since I saw the sectional draw.     

Depends on the county. I believe (don't quote me on this) Marion County has capped most high school events at 1,000 (or 25 percent capacity). Other counties, I believe, are in Stage 5 and have had the restrictions mostly lifted (with social distancing).

1 minute ago, BDGiant93 said:

Depends on the county. I believe (don't quote me on this) Marion County has capped most high school events at 1,000 (or 25 percent capacity). Other counties, I believe, are in Stage 5 and have had the restrictions mostly lifted (with social distancing).

Correction...1500 fans in Marion County or 50 percent capacity whichever is less.

15 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Correction...1500 fans in Marion County or 50 percent capacity whichever is less.

Thanks for the info.  I was mainly talking about the Central @ Jasper first round game.  Dubois County (Jasper) has had 50% capacity (approx 2,500 fans) earlier in the year.  Vanderburgh and Warrick Counties (where Central and 8 of 10 SIAC teams play) have had 500 or 750.  For a team that can feed off a crowd, playing in front of large, vocal fan base can make emotions run higher than normal.  It may not make a difference, but I was just wondering if it might.    

• Like 1