Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Contenders...Any Darkhorses?

22 hours ago, Lysander said:

You don’t steamroll the SIAC as a 4A team then come out of it as a “Darkhorse”.  

Closed conference or not, the outright winner of the SIAC (particularly if they are 4A or smaller) has to be looked upon as one of the favorites coming out of the South....and the South, by most all evidence, will produce the State Champion this year.

I think it's a valid question. While they did win the SIAC, they didn't "steamroll" it. They beat 2A Mater Dei 21-0 and Mater Dei turned the ball over 5-6 times, at least half of those on their own side of the field giving Central a short field to work with. That game could have easily been a 7-0 game. Jasper gave them all they wanted in their first meeting at Central. Central beat Memorial by 11 and Castle by 11. Central's offense has some studs, but they're fairly one dimensional on offense. They're a really good team, but it wouldn't be a complete shock if they didn't get out of the sectional. Playing at Jasper will be a great test. Jasper knows they can play with them, and the Jasper home fans should be a big boost for the Wildcats. If Central makes it out of the sectional, they could make a deep run.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, South Paw said:

I think it's a valid question. While they did win the SIAC, they didn't "steamroll" it. They beat 2A Mater Dei 21-0 and Mater Dei turned the ball over 5-6 times, at least half of those on their own side of the field giving Central a short field to work with. That game could have easily been a 7-0 game. Jasper gave them all they wanted in their first meeting at Central. Central beat Memorial by 11 and Castle by 11. Central's offense has some studs, but they're fairly one dimensional on offense. They're a really good team, but it wouldn't be a complete shock if they didn't get out of the sectional. Playing at Jasper will be a great test. Jasper knows they can play with them, and the Jasper home fans should be a big boost for the Wildcats. If Central makes it out of the sectional, they could make a deep run.

Good points.  A few teams were able to hang with them.  A lot can happen in October..   Regardless, whoever makes it out of Sectional 24 has a gauntlet . . .  Mooresville, East Central, Roncalli, Mt. Vernon FV.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

Good points.  A few teams were able to hang with them.  A lot can happen in October..   Regardless, whoever makes it out of Sectional 24 has a gauntlet . . .  Mooresville, East Central, Roncalli, Mt. Vernon FV.... 

I vaguely seem to recall another SIAC  “Darkhorse” that managed that gauntlet quite nicely last year.....all the way to blue.

In conjunction with some of the best pregame “Lou Holtz” remarks in the history of the GID.

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, Lysander said:

I vaguely seem to recall another SIAC  “Darkhorse” that managed that gauntlet quite nicely last year.....all the way to blue.

In conjunction with some of the best pregame “Lou Holtz” remarks in the history of the GID.

Oh, I had that 4A team ranked No. 1 in SW Indiana last year all season, just as I've had Central, despite early calls for North to be there. Also predicted Memorial and Mater Dei would end the season much higher than they began. Regardless, it's still probably Central or Jasper's sectional to lose. Jasper won't win another 4A sectional title until they are pushed out of the current geography or they have a losing record in baseball under Terry Goebert. Forever cursed for dismantling the Big 8

Well rooting against Jasper has never been hard, so hopefully this won't bite me in the rear in a few weeks.

23 minutes ago, Lysander said:

LOL.  We were a much different team last year - senior heavy across the board, experienced line, etc.  This year we are young everywhere, except at QB and he is out with an injury.  We will have our hands full this Friday in a tough match-up with Northview.     

• Like 1

Just making a general observation about the SIAC folks in general (Memorial more specifically) being less than optimistic as to their team’s prospects in recent years despite still taking hardware home at seasons end.

I recall when Reitz was on that roll from 2007-10 and were legitimately a Top 10 team All Classes some of that time and they had that fierce rivalry with Cathedral.   If you even questioned Reitz’ superiority back then a Panther with dueling pistols was at your doorstep.

Apparently a league memo was issued sometime in the last 5 years.

These past few years the general SIAC demeanor is “Well......we just hope to win that first Sectional game”, “We’ve got little chance this week”, and, finally, on the doorstep of LOS, “We’re just lucky to be here”.

I guess that’s why I chuckle when I hear the word “Darkhorse” referenced to playoff caliber SIAC teams - especially undefeated ones.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lysander said:

Just making a general observation about the SIAC folks in general (Memorial more specifically) being less than optimistic as to their team’s prospects in recent years despite still taking hardware home at seasons end.

I recall when Reitz was on that roll from 2007-10 and were legitimately a Top 10 team All Classes some of that time and they had that fierce rivalry with Cathedral.   If you even questioned Reitz’ superiority back then a Panther with dueling pistols was at your doorstep.

Apparently a league memo was issued sometime in the last 5 years.

These past few years the general SIAC demeanor is “Well......we just hope to win that first Sectional game”, “We’ve got little chance this week”, and, finally, on the doorstep of LOS, “We’re just lucky to be here”.

I guess that’s why I chuckle when I hear the word “Darkhorse” referenced to playoff caliber SIAC teams - especially undefeated ones.

That’s a good point and I think it has to do with Reitz not being the Reitz we’re accustomed to. I’m not necessarily proud to say it, but i don’t mind the Reitz faithful. They’re unlike any other SIAC fan base. When they’re having great seasons, those fans think they can take down any of the giants out there (CG, WC, Cathedral) it doesn’t matter. Personally I think it’s better for the SIAC when they’re at the top of their game. Every now and then you’ll see a Central, Memorial, or MD poster that’s drank too much of the punch and think they’re team is the best ever, but it’s not as common. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

That’s a good point and I think it has to do with Reitz not being the Reitz we’re accustomed to. I’m not necessarily proud to say it, but i don’t mind the Reitz faithful. They’re unlike any other SIAC fan base. When they’re having great seasons, those fans think they can take down any of the giants out there (CG, WC, Cathedral) it doesn’t matter. Personally I think it’s better for the SIAC when they’re at the top of their game. Every now and then you’ll see a Central, Memorial, or MD poster that’s drank too much of the punch and think they’re team is the best ever, but it’s not as common. 

I LOVED those Reitz posters back then.  Reitz was an absolutely legitimate Top 10 All Classes team....they just had to get past Cathedral in the South - who was Top 10 All Classes as well.  The 4A State Championship was won in the South those days when 4A used to be the best class pound for pound in the state...followed closely by 2A (as ultimately evidenced by 4A’s almost total domination of the new 5A Class after the “Success Factor”)

I admit to having enjoyed “poking” them occasionally but I was always cheering for them (though my guess is that they never realized it).

Miss those days.  

On 10/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, Purdue Pete said:

Congratulations.... u were able to turn a really good post / discussion into more meaningless covid ramblings.

It's called "reality".   If you think Covid 19 discussions are just "meaningless ramblings", then you are the biggest fool on this message board.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, Purdue Pete said:

dark horses from primarily rural areas for obvious reasons.

3A North - Norwell

2A North - Eastside

1A North - Southwood

My dark horses are still alive.  Am feeling good about all 3 this week.

9 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

My dark horses are still alive.  Am feeling good about all 3 this week.

Looking forward to all 3 matchups this coming Friday night. Norwell vs Concordia should be a good one. Eastside vs Luers part 2 could be interesting. Then the one I'm biased about is AC vs Southwood (hoping the Jets can pull it off). Seems like this Southwood team is like the 2017 team that knocked out the Jets. Hoping for similar results of 2016 & 2018 that favored the Jets. It's filling the void of the old AC vs Southern Wells sectional games.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, itiswhatitis said:

It's called "reality".   If you think Covid 19 discussions are just "meaningless ramblings", then you are the biggest fool on this message board.

I agree. I go onto a Covid-19 message board and talk about high school football and boy do they get upset. 😷

• Haha 3