Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

South Bend Schools Eliminate Athletic Directors

When Tom Noie broke this news last night, I was shocked.  During a time when, in many cases, the students, not the parents, are choosing which high school to go to,a corporation that cant afford to lose more students and needs ways to attract students has sent a message that athletics are an afterthought.  Just from a marketing standpoint, this move makes no sense.

Are there any other situations like this in the state, or do most schools have a full-time athletic director?  It seems that most of the schools in our area have an AD and possibly an assistant or a secretary as well.  Are any AD's also assistant principals/deans/other titles in other cases?   I ask because I genuinely don't know.

28 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

Interesting decision.  But it comes down to the question:  what is the core mission of a government school corporation?

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

When Tom Noie broke this news last night, I was shocked.  During a time when, in many cases, the students, not the parents, are choosing which high school to go to,a corporation that cant afford to lose more students and needs ways to attract students has sent a message that athletics are an afterthought.  Just from a marketing standpoint, this move makes no sense.

Are there any other situations like this in the state, or do most schools have a full-time athletic director?  It seems that most of the schools in our area have an AD and possibly an assistant or a secretary as well.  Are any AD's also assistant principals/deans/other titles in other cases?   I ask because I genuinely don't know.

I applied for a Dean of Students/Athletic Director position at North Newton last week.  So they are not the only ones.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

North Newton is advertising their AD/Dean of Students Position......

https://www.nn.k12.in.us/Page/364

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Interesting decision.  But it comes down to the question:  what is the core mission of a government school corporation?

FIFY:

"what is the core mission of any school corporation?"

The new superintendent hiring was sketchy and this is just another issue for the SB schools

How much will you actually be savings?  How do you handle daily student issues and athletics?

Seems like a big issue to me and makes no sense

11 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

The new superintendent hiring was sketchy and this is just another issue for the SB schools

How much will you actually be savings?  How do you handle daily student issues and athletics?

Seems like a big issue to me and makes no sense

Exactly what I was thinking. I would assume an AD and a Dean would make comparable salaries plus benefits. So they still have to pay someone to fill that role, and what are the chances they'll have more academics on their plates instead of athletics. Makes me wonder if other schools will be reluctant to schedule games vs SB schools....

Until you know what their jobs are not sure how you can do both.  Deans are in the office dealing with students, academics, issues all day long

They better have good and competent secretaries

For larger schools this make no sense at all - the kids will suffer

Hell, St Joe and Marian both have Assistant AD's and SB schools did not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Interesting article from "experts" about this today in the paper.  If you are a SB parents then you need to watch future school board elections

Link?

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/education/eliminating-athletic-directors-just-the-start-of-changes-in-south/article_808e2d7d-93d9-58bd-9490-0c8072130da7.html

this is becoming a joke.  You should see the jobs for the new positions Executive Directors of ..............

They are already posted on the SBCSC sight but nothing on the Deans of Students and Athletics

• Like 1