Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CoachVeatch

South Bend Schools Eliminate Athletic Directors

Recommended Posts

When Tom Noie broke this news last night, I was shocked.  During a time when, in many cases, the students, not the parents, are choosing which high school to go to,a corporation that cant afford to lose more students and needs ways to attract students has sent a message that athletics are an afterthought.  Just from a marketing standpoint, this move makes no sense.

Are there any other situations like this in the state, or do most schools have a full-time athletic director?  It seems that most of the schools in our area have an AD and possibly an assistant or a secretary as well.  Are any AD's also assistant principals/deans/other titles in other cases?   I ask because I genuinely don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

Interesting decision.  But it comes down to the question:  what is the core mission of a government school corporation?

 

  • Like 1
  • Disdain 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

When Tom Noie broke this news last night, I was shocked.  During a time when, in many cases, the students, not the parents, are choosing which high school to go to,a corporation that cant afford to lose more students and needs ways to attract students has sent a message that athletics are an afterthought.  Just from a marketing standpoint, this move makes no sense.

Are there any other situations like this in the state, or do most schools have a full-time athletic director?  It seems that most of the schools in our area have an AD and possibly an assistant or a secretary as well.  Are any AD's also assistant principals/deans/other titles in other cases?   I ask because I genuinely don't know.

I applied for a Dean of Students/Athletic Director position at North Newton last week.  So they are not the only ones.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

When Tom Noie broke this news last night, I was shocked.  During a time when, in many cases, the students, not the parents, are choosing which high school to go to,a corporation that cant afford to lose more students and needs ways to attract students has sent a message that athletics are an afterthought.  Just from a marketing standpoint, this move makes no sense.

Are there any other situations like this in the state, or do most schools have a full-time athletic director?  It seems that most of the schools in our area have an AD and possibly an assistant or a secretary as well.  Are any AD's also assistant principals/deans/other titles in other cases?   I ask because I genuinely don't know.

North Newton is advertising their AD/Dean of Students Position......

https://www.nn.k12.in.us/Page/364

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Interesting decision.  But it comes down to the question:  what is the core mission of a government school corporation?

 

FIFY:

"what is the core mission of any school corporation?"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Smaller schools have Dean of Students/AD positions.  

Vincennes Rivet did/does.  Not sure if it is the same now.  My friend was the AD/Dean for a couple years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. It does make sense, especially in a smaller corporation....hopefully it makes sense here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new superintendent hiring was sketchy and this is just another issue for the SB schools

How much will you actually be savings?  How do you handle daily student issues and athletics?

Seems like a big issue to me and makes no sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

The new superintendent hiring was sketchy and this is just another issue for the SB schools

How much will you actually be savings?  How do you handle daily student issues and athletics?

Seems like a big issue to me and makes no sense

Exactly what I was thinking. I would assume an AD and a Dean would make comparable salaries plus benefits. So they still have to pay someone to fill that role, and what are the chances they'll have more academics on their plates instead of athletics. Makes me wonder if other schools will be reluctant to schedule games vs SB schools....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eliminate these AD positions but then will create 5 new Asst. Superintendent positions at $100K to oversee these new Dean/AD positions.  Usually how public schools work. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until you know what their jobs are not sure how you can do both.  Deans are in the office dealing with students, academics, issues all day long

They better have good and competent secretaries

For larger schools this make no sense at all - the kids will suffer

Hell, St Joe and Marian both have Assistant AD's and SB schools did not

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article from "experts" about this today in the paper.  If you are a SB parents then you need to watch future school board elections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Interesting article from "experts" about this today in the paper.  If you are a SB parents then you need to watch future school board elections

Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/education/eliminating-athletic-directors-just-the-start-of-changes-in-south/article_808e2d7d-93d9-58bd-9490-0c8072130da7.html

 

this is becoming a joke.  You should see the jobs for the new positions Executive Directors of ..............

They are already posted on the SBCSC sight but nothing on the Deans of Students and Athletics

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, johnathanspencer said:

Sorry but I called it first..........:classic_laugh:

The joke is on you...they actually listed 6 "chief" or "executive" titled positions at the admin building.  So your 5 was way off! 😉

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, johnathanspencer said:

Oh, hahahaha.  Math was never my strong point. 

Apparetly it isn't SBCSC's either.  😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a distance, it looks like "the new broom sweeps clean". Or to put it another way, "It doesn't have to make sense. I was hired to bring about change, so change we will have." For the sake of the SB parents and students hope it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...