Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Name a Better Story this year in Indiana H.S. Football than..................

The Fairfield Falcons

I have always followed them since we played them in our 1st Regional win many moons ago (2009) and love what Coach Thacker has done in short order for the Falcons.  

Conference Champs:   

Tough Sectional but fun opportunity awaits 

FAIRFIELD
FALCONS
Coach: Matt Thacker, 14-15 in 3rd year at school

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 38.1, DA 7.8
Aug. 28   Osceola Grace W 57 6    
Sep. 4 at Central Noble 2A W 32 6    
Sep. 11   Fremont 1A W 44 13    
Sep. 18 at West Noble 3A © W 41 7    
Sep. 25 at Angola 4A © W 29 17    
Oct. 2   Garrett 3A © W 36 7    
Oct. 9   Lakeland 3A © W 42 0    
Oct. 16 at Churubusco 1A W 24 6    
Oct. 23   Central Noble 2A 7:00 pm   Sectional 35
©NORTHEAST CORNER CONFERENCE GAME

went 0-9 year one under coach Thacker, to 6-6 and a sectional championship appearance in 2019, to 8-0 this year

SECTIONAL 35 (EASTERN TIME)

Woodlan [1-8]

7:00 pm Oct. 23      

Prairie Heights [0-9]      

Oct. 30    

Eastside [8-1]          

Bluffton [8-1]          

Nov. 6    

Whitko [4-5]          

FW Luers [3-6]          

Oct. 30      

Central Noble [4-5]      

Fairfield [8-0]  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The Fairfield Falcons

I have always followed them since we played them in our 1st Regional win many moons ago (2009) and love what Coach Thacker has done in short order for the Falcons.  

Conference Champs:   

FAIRFIELD
FALCONS

went 0-9 year one under coach Thacker, to 6-6 and a sectional championship appearance in 2019, to 8-0 this year

Woodlan [1-8]

Prairie Heights [0-9]      

Oct. 30    

Eastside [8-1]          

Bluffton [8-1]          

Nov. 6    

Whitko [4-5]          

FW Luers [3-6]          

Oct. 30      

Central Noble [4-5]      

Fairfield [8-0]  

Im gonna go with West Washington. Yes, they were great last year but losing their coach the way they did. Great story. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As much as it pains me I'll go with Mt. Vernon. Undefeated, legit state title shot and they literally finally slayed the Dragons ending the 2nd longest regular season win streak in state history along with ending the Dragons 7 year stranglehold on the HHC. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The Fairfield Falcons

Conference Champs:   

FAIRFIELD
FALCONS

Woodlan [1-8]

Prairie Heights [0-9]      

Oct. 30    

Eastside [8-1]          

Bluffton [8-1]          

Nov. 6    

Whitko [4-5]          

FW Luers [3-6]          

Oct. 30      

Central Noble [4-5]      

Fairfield [8-0]  

I’d have to agree.  I was just telling my wife last night that just a few years ago they were on the verge of not having a team and I think they may have only played a JV schedule that year to undefeated this year. Great story.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, skeeterman said:

The fact that we beat the virus for the most part. I didn't believe we could get past week 5. great job by administrators, coaches, players and officials to get us to this point!

The fact we are having a season at all, to me, in light of all the earlier naysaying and the fact that some school systems literally were declaring that there would be no fall sports is, frankly, nothing short of miraculous and will always be what folks will remember about this “year that almost wasn’t”.

With that, the season is far from over and the virus might still lay a heavy hand on what the final outcome of the championship season might look like.

• Like 6

I’d say nothing is better than a last minute drive by CG to beat Cathedral to claim the overall state championship.. greatest feeling I’ve had all year. I was jumping up and down in my underwear, fist pumping, double fisting my Busch Latte’s, while doing cartwheels all across my front lawn.. 

• Like 1

Those are all definitely some good stories.. I have to throw Silver Creek into that mix. They were a brand new program 8 years ago. They just completed their first undefeated season and conference title in school history. Naturally, they get rewarded with a 7-2 East Central visit for the first round of sectionals, but that is for another thread 😆. Congrats to Coach Papenhaus and co.

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
4A 23 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS FOOTBALL FIELD 9-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
SILVER CREEK
DRAGONS
Coach: David Papenhaus, 17-2 in 2nd year at school

DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 45.2, DA 9.1
Aug. 21   Charlestown 3A © W 40 6    
Aug. 28   Salem 3A © W 27 8    
Sep. 4   Providence 2A W 42 0    
Sep. 11 at Eastern (Pekin) 2A © W 60 8    
Sep. 18   Scottsburg 3A © W 49 13    
Sep. 25 at Clarksville 2A © W 70 0    
Oct. 2   North Harrison 3A © W 28 14    
Oct. 9   Brownstown Central 3A © W 42 14    
Oct. 16 at Corydon Central 3A © W 49 19    
Oct. 23   East Central 4A 7:00 pm   Sectional 23
©MID-SOUTHERN CONFERENCE GAME
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

The fact we are having a season at all, to me, in light of all the earlier naysaying and the fact that some school systems literally were declaring that there would be no fall sports is, frankly, nothing short of miraculous and will always be what folks will remember about this “year that almost wasn’t”.

With that, the season is far from over and the virus might still lay a heavy hand on what the final outcome of the championship season might look like.

Especially if volleyball is any indicator.  I haven't seen specifically if it was teams that were in contention or not, but my guess is quarantining/COVID doesn't take into account 0-8 or 8-0 ... as somewhat evidenced by its impact on pick 'ems this season.  We're getting to the point of the season where a lot more rests on being vigilant, so hopefully all involved keep their eyes glued on the goal.  Not necessarily a trip to LOS, which is always nice, but mainly making sure to play, and be able to play, all the way to the end of the season and their full potential. 

4 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

As much as it pains me I'll go with Mt. Vernon. Undefeated, legit state title shot and they literally finally slayed the Dragons ending the 2nd longest regular season win streak in state history along with ending the Dragons 7 year stranglehold on the HHC. 

I honestly thought New Pal would be the team to contest CE’s current conference win streak, I was surprised by Mt Vernon this year. 

3 hours ago, skeeterman said:

The fact that we beat the virus for the most part. I didn't believe we could get past week 5. great job by administrators, coaches, players and officials to get us to this point!

Here, here. Cheers. 

• Disdain 1

4 hours ago, trojan474 said:

I’d have to agree.  I was just telling my wife last night that just a few years ago they were on the verge of not having a team and I think they may have only played a JV schedule that year to undefeated this year. Great story.

Two years ago Fairfield played a varsity schedule with basically no seniors except one (he was a cross country runner), a small handful of juniors, a nice group of sophomores and a handful of freshmen. They gave up 493 points and scored 27. They gave up over 70 points twice and over 60 twice. This current group of seniors that are 8-0 never quit. Coach Thacker has done a remarkable job.

Edited by Pigskin Pete
Correction
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Center grove clean sweep at all levels undefeated 27 and 0

Im sorry, but that "story" is not better than some of these other posts, CG as an established 6a powerhouse ....     Vs.  Stories like

Fairfield

Tell City

Norwell 

Silver Creek 

Taking nothing away from Center Grove, but cmon man..... It would be a Story if THEY weren't 27-0 .....

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Im sorry, but that "story" is not better than some of these other posts, CG as an established 6a powerhouse ....     Vs.  Stories like

Fairfield

Tell City

Norwell 

Silver Creek 

Taking nothing away from Center Grove, but cmon man..... It would be a Story if THEY weren't 27-0 .....

That is your opinion but to have all 3 teams go undefeated is big deal.  To run the mic and beat cathedral  is huge.  

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Fairfield

Tell City

Norwell 

Silver Creek 

Look at the big picture nationwide Indiana gets no respect, center grove is showing Indiana can compete nationwide 

The fact that we made it through the regular season.

2 hours ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

The fact that both North Central and Lawrence North beat Warren Central. NC won for the first time in 21 years last month and LN beat the Warriors for the first time since 2005 in the regular season finale.

To be fair, these aren't your historically normal NC and LN squads.

3 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

That is your opinion but to have all 3 teams go undefeated is big deal.  To run the mic and beat cathedral  is huge.  

The CG Spotlight casts a large brightness.......

My stories are meant to shine a light on those programs who may not have such a large light to be shined historically.   I think that is my entire point here.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

I honestly thought New Pal would be the team to contest CE’s current conference win streak, I was surprised by Mt Vernon this year. 

I knew New Pal would lose a regular season game this year.  Thought it would be Decatur Central.   And after 2 Dragons games I said they'd lose to Mt Vernon.   Kirschner has done a tremendous job with that program and the Dragons graduated too much talent and have been utterly decimated with injuries all year.  After 6 straight years of being very healthy I guess it was just time.  

Good to see Fairfield getting back to strength. Same for Norwell as well. I hope this can convey hope to Southern Wells to stick with it. They're playing a JV schedule with mostly Freshmen. Have saw some of the JV scores, and they haven't faired very well in contests vs other JV squads in the conference. Fairfield can give that group hope that brighter days are ahead, just have to work hard for them. A big shout out to Eastside Blazers. An OT loss to a much larger school was the only blemish this year. They are building off of last years sectional title. Also another good year for Eastside's sectional opponent Bluffton. The ACAC needs their teams to get back to strength. While it's fun to see SA, Woodlan (not too long ago), and AC have success, it's more fun when they earn it against strong opponents like the late 90s through 2000s Heritage & Southern Wells squads.

• Like 2