Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Postseason

5 minutes ago, Mopi11 said:

I think we’re ready for either of them. Both good teams going into it you know your going to get there best shot. One game at a time. I hope to see you guys in regional think you guys have a legit shot with Hurley! Good luck this week.

Thank you and you too. Hope to see a regional rematch in a couple of weeks, time to go 1-0 each week. 

29 minutes ago, jcat69 said:

Winner of Jasper/ Central will go up about 20 rating points.

Though that is reasonable, this game will have little impact on the winners sagarin rating as it is just another SIAC game.  Same with Reitz/Harrison.  The loser of Jasper/Central will likely go up or down just as much as the winner does.  (Should Jasper lose by less then 12 they should go up more then Central does.)  The non-conference games will determine how much all teams in the SIAC move up or down.  My rough math shows Mem, MD, Bosse, and VL as a combined 66 point underdogs.  Should they collectively outperform or under-perform that number the entire conference will go up or down.  Yes, the statewide respect of the entire SIAC may be determined by weather or not Bosse can cover a 51 point spread.

31 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Wow, what are the current spots for them?

Perhaps you should check your first post.

3 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Thank you and you too. Hope to see a regional rematch in a couple of weeks, time to go 1-0 each week. 

We were lucky to beat Mooresville last year with a much better team.  They outplayed us - other than the Pick 6 and the kickoff return fumble.  Tough team.  Huge up front.

Them and EC will be a heckuva matchup.

8 hours ago, tango said:

Northview @ Memorial might trigger a Sagarin sunami...

Will the 6 games outside the conference Friday be enough to "connect" all the teams in the SIAC for Sagarin?  I believe so, since they will  then be connected to all their opponents and so on. Still curious how SIAC is rated without any outside opponents.  Can only be last year's ratings?

The Calpreps ratings show the problems with the closed conference, in terms of computer ratings.

http://calpreps.com/2020/ratings/Indiana_league.htm

Scroll down to Southern Indiana

Notice the ratings mirror exactly the final standings, with the exception of Castle being slightly ahead of Memorial.  Since their game with 0-9 Bosse was not played, Castle actually has the highest schedule strength rating and the best Opponents W-L record.  Central has the weakest schedule, while Bosse has the same as Castle (since they couldn't play themselves either.) 

I'm not sure if this week - Lincoln, Mater Dei, Memorial, and Bosse will be enough to add some connections in any rating system.  But by week 2 when Central/Jasper play Boonville and the 5A teams play it will hopefully be enough.  If Lincoln and Mater Dei can advance to their respective finals as well (2 wins vs out of conference) then things will hopefully normalize. 

3 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Any word if Pence will be back at QB for all or any of the sectional games? I feel like Memorial would still get to the sectional championship without him but they could definitely use him in the potential sectional championship game.

That is an good question, but are the C&P picks: 

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2020/10/22/courier-press-staff-picks-high-school-football-sectional-openers/5996955002/ 

Memorial -12 point favorite 

Mater Dei -28 point favorite 

Central -4 point favorite 

4 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

Any word if Pence will be back at QB for all or any of the sectional games? I feel like Memorial would still get to the sectional championship without him but they could definitely use him in the potential sectional championship game.

Being evaluated day to day.  I would have to think given that (a) the D only only gave up 14 points to Castle; and (b) the back-up QB did pretty well in his first start against a tough Castle D, Coach Hurley would be pretty cautious.  Of course it is probably more of a doctor's decision than anything.  

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

That is an good question, but are the C&P picks: 

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2020/10/22/courier-press-staff-picks-high-school-football-sectional-openers/5996955002/ 

Memorial -12 point favorite 

Mater Dei -28 point favorite 

Central -4 point favorite 

I'll take Mater Dei and give the points, Wildcats win big!

3 minutes ago, tango said:

I don't think anyone is taking Northview lightly.  They look pretty solid.    

Especially their RB and QB, and their defense, however the due suffer losses to (4-5) Terre Haute North in 20T and (3-4) Guerin Catholic by 0-19. Though with an impressive wins over (6-3)Indian Creek and 20T 1A (8-1)Lutheran 26-25 

9 hours ago, jcat69 said:

Will the 6 games outside the conference Friday be enough to "connect" all the teams in the SIAC for Sagarin?

If I understand the system correctly then just one non-conference game will connect the conference.  Castle and North don't play so there are just four connecting games this weekend (MD, Mem, VL, Bosse).  Those games will have an oversized influence on the entire conference's rating.  Future nonconference games will help normalize the ratings.

9 hours ago, jcat69 said:

Can only be last year's ratings?

Yes.

7 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

The Calpreps ratings show the problems with the closed conference, in terms of computer ratings.

http://calpreps.com/2020/ratings/Indiana_league.htm

Scroll down to Southern Indiana

Notice the ratings mirror exactly the final standings, with the exception of Castle being slightly ahead of Memorial.  Since their game with 0-9 Bosse was not played, Castle actually has the highest schedule strength rating and the best Opponents W-L record.  Central has the weakest schedule, while Bosse has the same as Castle (since they couldn't play themselves either.) 

I'm not sure if this week - Lincoln, Mater Dei, Memorial, and Bosse will be enough to add some connections in any rating system.  But by week 2 when Central/Jasper play Boonville and the 5A teams play it will hopefully be enough.  If Lincoln and Mater Dei can advance to their respective finals as well (2 wins vs out of conference) then things will hopefully normalize. 

The highest rated team in a closed conference will always have the weakest schedule and the worst team will always have the toughest.  The Castle/Bosse cancellation throws this year out of balance.

1 hour ago, tango said:

That is gonna be a doozy.  Hopefully the wet weather clears out before kick off.   

1 hour ago, tango said:

That is gonna be a doozy.  Hopefully the wet weather clears out before kick off.   

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpfloop_6hr_d17.html

NOAA says most of the rain will be thru by midnight Zulu time, 8:00PM EST.

Curious to see how much of a difference Javonte Madison makes tonight, as he did not dress against Jasper in the first meeting (ankle).  He has been the difference for them the last two weeks offensively, and his abilities on the defensive side are well documented.

Edited by eschnur66
omission