Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Advancing muffed kick off

Wink58

Question

3 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Wink58 said:

Team A kicks to team b- team b touches the ball but never secured ball- can team A pick up ball and run? And score?

No. Until the ball is possessed, it’s still a kick. And the kickers can never advance a recovered free kick.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:39 PM, Bobref said:

No. Until the ball is possessed, it’s still a kick. And the kickers can never advance a recovered free kick.

Are the mechanics the same for kickoff and punt?

Out of curiosity, what are they? Bean bag a catch, muff, or fumble by R? Or does the bean bag only indicate first touching by K?  

I feel like I have seen one thrown before, more specifically on punts, but I don't know what it indicates. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Are the mechanics the same for kickoff and punt?

Out of curiosity, what are they? Bean bag a catch, muff, or fumble by R? Or does the bean bag only indicate first touching by K?  

I feel like I have seen one thrown before, more specifically on punts, but I don't know what it indicates. 

On a punt, the back judge uses a beanbag to mark the spot where the kick ends. For certain types of fouls that might occur, that’s the spot from which the penalty is enforced.

It is also appropriate on kicks, both scrimmage and free, to mark a spot of first touching by the kicking team.

Fumbles are marked with a beanbag if they occur beyond the neutral zone, or on a play in which there is no neutral zone.

Muffs do not involve the use of the beanbag.

• Thanks 1